Mic Breaks Only discussion

Posts Gone By > Gideon the Ninth: Page 0: Links and Notations

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Jun 18, 2020 01:09AM) (new)

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments This topic should have NO spoilers. Feel free to discuss your preconceptions/notions about the book here. Also, open discussion of:

* The cover:
Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1) by Tamsyn Muir Ich bin Gideon by Tamsyn Muir
* Title Page(s)
* Copyright page
* Dedication: for pT

I'll start making categories for chapter sets soon. The official start date for reading is February 1, 2020 but feel free to join us anytime.

Gideon the Ninth e-book purchase links:

Kindle: amazon.com: Gideon the Ninth

This book starts with a lengthy character list. Are you the kind of reader who frequently checks these lists, or do you forge ahead with the story trusting you'll get to know and remember characters as they come and go? List your favorite novel(s) that also includes a detailed list of characters.

message 2: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 343 comments The cover is quite necromantic! Love the sunglasses and hip hairstyle of the pictured character.

Nice and simple dedication. Odd capitalization (I hope that isn't an ongoing theme). Reminds me of P.T. the horror game demo by Kojima that will never be made into a full game.

I LOVE a good character list. Wheel of Time, The Horus Heresy, and Song of Ice and Fire spring to mind. A crazy appendix like Infinite Jest is also fun. If the list is at the beginning of the book I'll read it immediately since there shouldn't be any spoilers. If it's in the back I will only read it when I need a reminder.

message 3: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Jan 19, 2020 12:16AM) (new)

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments I presume the protagonist is on the cover. She seems like an attractive gal with a cool swagger. I like her makeup and her steampunk glove. I'm worried that she is bleeding from multiple parts of her body since she is shown around a maelstrom of skeletons who shouldn't be bleeding.

I love a simple, direct dedication. It communicates just what it needs to the person of importance.

I am somewhat obsessed with character lists. I read them thoroughly at the beginning of the book and check back often throughout the narrative. George R.R. Martin writes some of my very favorite resource materials.