Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > A-Z challenge Q/X/Z

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (new)

Cait (scaredycait) | 23 comments Hey!
I’m trying to plan out the second half of my A-Z reading challenge (preferably with only horror books) but I’ve gotten stuck on QXZ. Any community recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

(I’d prefer if it starts with the letters but if it’s not possible I’ll do for and word in the title starting with it and if all else fails a title that includes the letter)

((Queen of the Damned and World War Z have been suggested so far))

Thank you!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (hmssparky) | 178 comments "The Book of Q" was good, though not horror. They took the A-Z challenge thread for 2019 down, so I can't remember what I read for Z, but I would suggest Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" for Y. It's actually a short story, but it'll satisfy the Y requirement. I tried to read "The Zombies of Lancaster" for Z; don't read that, it was terrible!

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael J. (michaeljclarke) | 303 comments Cait wrote: "Hey!
I’m trying to plan out the second half of my A-Z reading challenge (preferably with only horror books) but I’ve gotten stuck on QXZ. Any community recommendations would be greatly appreciated!..."

There must be a dozen or more anthologies featuring zombie stories, and enough of them with the word "zombie" in the title to make that Z requirement easier. I read Z:ZOMBIE STORIES edited by J. M. Lassen. That was really decent. I rated it four stars.
For Q, I read QUEEN OF BEDLAM by Robert McCammon. Not a pure horror story but it did have supernatural themes. A great book but rather long. If that doesn't work, you can search for books with "Queen" in the title. I know there are a lot of fantasy titles with that word, but there surely must be some more horror-related ones you can find out there.

message 5: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 603 comments My favorite zombie book: Zone One.

Another good one: Zombies and Shit

For Q (and a great introduction to Carlton Mellick III if you've never read him:) Quicksand House

X is really tough! I don't think I've read any books in any genre that start with X.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (hmssparky) | 178 comments X - Don't Cross the X by Tina LePere was pretty good. It doesn't start with an X, but has an X in the title, so it's allowed.

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11048 comments Mod
last year i read-
X- The X-Files: Cold Cases
Y- A Rose for Emily
Z- White Trash Zombie Unchained

uh...looks like i cheated some...i didn't find one for Q

message 10: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 704 comments Latasha wrote: "last year i read-
X- The X-Files: Cold Cases
Y- A Rose for Emily
Z- White Trash Zombie Unchained

uh...looks like i cheated some...i didn't find one ..."

Q is like ... 😬 🙄 😈

message 11: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11048 comments Mod
It sure is.

message 12: by Cait (new)

Cait (scaredycait) | 23 comments Thanks so much guys! This has been a ton of help!!

message 13: by Alastor (new)

Alastor Moopy (zeenia) | 81 comments Thank you for all these great suggestions.

message 14: by Alastor (new)

Alastor Moopy (zeenia) | 81 comments Cait, just wanted to share a website with you which has been really helpful to me in the past.
https://www.bookbrowse.com/books/inde...