Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Shadow of What Was Lost [Apr 10, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jan 14, 2020 04:57AM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
The Shadow of What Was Lost - James Islington
The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1) by James Islington
April 10, 2020.
Requested by Rob, Tammie, Veronica, Saar and more.

message 2: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 828 comments Maybe in for this one.

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily (galvadonexnorta) | 25 comments In!

message 4: by Dominique (new)

Dominique L'm also in.

message 5: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments In.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Maybe in for this and the series.

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments In!

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian | 881 comments In

message 9: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments I wanted to re-read.

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments The more, the merrier :)

message 11: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments I just finished reading this one. Wow, that was really good!

message 12: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I'll be here.

message 13: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments In!

message 14: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments Reminder place holder :)

message 15: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm in as well ! :)

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I've got this and Rage of Dragons starting within a couple of days of each other. And Wheel of Time #2 going on in the background. This should be interesting.

message 17: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Same here, V! We are nothing if not ambitious ʘ‿ʘ

message 18: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Or crazy ^^

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I'm leaning towards Elinor's assessment, lol. Maybe just for myself because I don't read as fast you do, Choko. :-)

message 20: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I really wanted to read this. It is a finished series, right? But I think I might be late if you don't mind me ladies.

message 21: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Yep, the trilogy is finished !

message 22: by Rob (last edited Apr 08, 2020 02:07PM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1718 comments I'll try to start tomorrow on this. I was thinking of starting Rage of Dragons too, but see the sequel comes out later this year, so might wait on it too.

Still reading - Medallion Status: True Stories from Secret Rooms and an ARC for The Kingdom of Liars and listening to The Killing Light though since we're not going anywhere this is mostly a listen while I shower read scurry out for groceries now and then :) Not to mention A Time of Courage just came out. Shame I have to home school my kids and work from home when I have to much to read :)

message 23: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I'll be a few days late, as I'm currently still reading another book.

message 24: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3890 comments I'll be starting this tonight. I'm looking forward to it. This has been on my to-read list for a long time.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 994 comments I started it today. Chapter 6 (end of chapter 5) (view spoiler)

message 26: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I will start this tomorrow...

message 27: by Elinor (last edited Apr 11, 2020 12:04AM) (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Started ! The first chapter reminded me of Spellslinger and also The Rithmatist

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments I'll start somewhere this weekend, but it's a reread. Normally still fresh in memory.

message 29: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm up to chapter 7 and so far this has been interesting, especially (view spoiler)

message 30: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 828 comments I should be starting soon too. As soon as I'm done with my current read.

message 31: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3890 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I started it today. Chapter 6 (end of chapter 5) [spoilers removed]"

I agree it was intense. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 994 comments Tammie wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I started it today. Chapter 6 (end of chapter 5) [spoilers removed]"

I agree it was intense. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I started it today. Chapter 6 (end of chapter 5) [spoilers removed]"

I agree it was intense. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Yes it looked more something like that

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I started it today. Chapter 6 (end of chapter 5) [spoilers removed]"

Who or what Wirr is will be reveiled later into the story, but the twist is really interesting.

message 35: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I just started. Reading it right after a book from the WoT, it really reminds me about it... I hope I don't start mixing them in my head◉‿◉

message 36: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments In chapter 9 : (view spoiler)

message 37: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Just started this today, also after just finishing The Great Hunt (WoT #2). Choko, did you notice the map here? This world also has an Aryth Ocean and a Sea of Storms, just like the WoT world. Intentional homage?

I've read through the first five chapters and wow, (view spoiler) an intense beginning. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments V, I think it is intentional homage, because the names are, despite of spelling different, very similar in pronunciation. Particularly the names of the countries and towns. Not only, a ton of other things too... The Shadows = stilled/gentled, the Leashed, the shackle is more like the collar from Sword of Truth, but you catch my drift...

I am up to Ch. 15... This is totally up my alley◉‿◉. It just feels really weird reading it while reading WoT. I was shocked at Ch. 5, but once you figure the way the author thinks, he is pretty deliberate in his storytelling. Liking it a lot so far◉‿◉

message 39: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments V, about Wirr, (view spoiler)

message 40: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments That sounds about right to me. I can't believe Davian hasn't asked Wirr how he seems to know so much about various things.

message 41: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 828 comments So I started and so far i like it. An interesting start and I'm interesting to learn fully about this magic and how the rest of the world looks. The writing style is really simple though so I feel like it's going to be a quick read.

message 42: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Starting tonight! Looks like everybody is liking this book, good to know.

message 43: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3890 comments I'm in chapter 19. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3890 comments Choko wrote: "V, I think it is intentional homage, because the names are, despite of spelling different, very similar in pronunciation. Particularly the names of the countries and towns. Not only, a ton of other..."

I didn't think about the WoT similarities. It's been a number of years since I read WoT though, and I've forgotten a lot.

message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments It's really only the names of the two oceans that I've noticed, same spellings. As far as I can tell, the rest of the countries have different names. Sea of Storms could be pretty common but the Aryth Ocean, with the same spelling, seemed like maybe it was an intentional fanwink.

message 46: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Through chapter 20...(view spoiler)

message 47: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I really like Asha! I wasn't sure at first, but the more we get to know her, the more I look forward to her chapters.

Wirr and D. are cool, but I am not sure at all about the amnesia chap. I am up to Ch 21 and the more I think about it, the more I think he must have been (view spoiler)

message 48: by Veronica (last edited Apr 13, 2020 01:26PM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I hope we see her again!

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3890 comments Choko wrote: "I really like Asha! I wasn't sure at first, but the more we get to know her, the more I look forward to her chapters.

Wirr and D. are cool, but I am not sure at all about the amnesia chap. I am u..."

I'm enjoying Asha's chapters the most.

message 50: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3890 comments Veronica wrote: "Through chapter 20..."

I was glad of that too!

« previous 1 3