Start by marking “A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)

A Time of Courage

(Of Blood and Bone #3)

Battle the dark
Reclaim the world

The Demon-King of the Otherworld is finally free. And armed with mighty new starstone weapons, Asroth prepares to lead his demonic war-host south. With the help of his dark bride Fritha, he plans to crush the warrior-angels and their allies.

In the shadows of Forn Forest, Riv and the surviving Ben-Elim hold a war council. After the catastroph
Published April 2nd 2020 by Pan Macmillan

Start your review of A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
Petrik
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Epic fantasy & The Faithful and the Fallen fans
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

ARC provided by the publisher—Pan Macmillan—in exchange for an honest review.

A Time of Courage is one of the best final books to a series I’ve ever read in my life. It was truly a bittersweet, satisfying, and masterfully crafted finale to conclude Of Blood and Bone and the entirety of The Banished Lands saga.

Permit me to start this review with words from Gwynne himself:

“So, finally we come to the end of th
John Gwynne
Dec 03, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A TIME OF COURAGE is officially out now in the UK and US! The seventh and final book in The Banished Lands is here and it is a massive moment for me. I have loved writing about the characters in The Banished Lands and hope you enjoy it. Truth and courage.

***

The cover to A Time of Courage has been released. I hope you like it!

This is quite a moment for me, seeing the cover art for what is in effect the culmination of seven books and the end of 150 years history of the Banished Lands.

I'm thrilled
James Tivendale
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, freecopy
I received an advanced review copy of A Time of Courage in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank John Gwynne and Tor for the opportunity.

A Time of Courage is the final entry in the Of Blood and Bone trilogy and the seventh story that takes place in Gwynne's phenomenal fantasy world The Banished Lands. After completing and adoring all of Gwynne's work I am running out of ways to describe how exceptional a writer he is. I will not say too much here regarding the actual storyline her
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I did not receive a free copy of this book for review. All two sentences and a borrowed gif are my own thoughts 🤣😂🤷🏻‍♀️

Gahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I love these fracking books soooooo much!! The characters, everything!! I love them so much!! I’m going to miss them, BUT can always come back to them.

I am looking forward to the new book as I know I will love that world too. Hopefully I didn’t just jinx it!! 🤨

Recommend to all fantasy readers!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves fantasy
I received an ARC from the publisher (Pan Macmillan) in exchange for an honest review.

Flawless!

No word better describes the result of the time and effort John Gwynne has put into A Time of Courage, the finale of the Of Blood and Bone series. It is a monumental achievement to have wrapped up this series so perfectly and speaks to the care and dedication that the author has put into this work, the love for it permeating every page.

I will spare you any spoilers by not discussing the plot, but I wil
Will.J.R. Gwynne
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't forget to vote for A Time of Courage in the Goodreads Awards if you believe it deserves the spot!

*********

A TIME OF COURAGE IS NOW OUT IN THE UK AND US

Buy it here -

Amazon UK - A Time of Courage

Amazon US - A Time of Courage

Look at this review by Fantasy Faction...

A Time of Courage - Fantasy Faction
Emma
All the stars (Bright ones, of course)

*****

Now THIS is the way you end a series. Readers and writers beware, a new standard has been set.

A Time of Courage closes the story arc first begun in Malice, a tale of good and evil recounted by the many loved and hated voices of the Banished Lands. It culminates in a battle so visually and emotionally impactful that I had to put the book down several times just to process what I’d seen and heard and felt. Throughout the epic final section my heart beat t
Edward
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
A TIME OF COURAGE IS RELEASED TODAY!! What a moment, the Banished Lands Saga is over, 6 books have built up to this finale and it will not disappoint. Truth and courage!

***

A Time or Courage, The by final book of Of Blood and Bone is AMAZING. I won’t say too much, but it is a phenomenal last chapter in The Banished Lands that had me as always crying, laughing, punching the air and wanting to take up my spear and shield and join the shield-wall. Can’t wait for you all to read it. Truth and courag
TS Chan
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ARC received from the publisher, Pan Macmillan, in exchange for an honest review.

A Time of Courage is a stunning masterpiece that proved yet again that John Gwynne is a force to be reckoned with; primed and poised to joined the ranks of the greatest fantasy authors.

By now, you would've already seen my co-bloggers' raving reviews for A Time of Courage. Believe me, every single word and praise heaped upon this book was warranted and well-deserved. We pretty much read the eARC together the moment i
Nick Borrelli
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When people talk about the very best writers in the fantasy genre today, I always insist that John Gwynne's name has to be mentioned in that conversation. His The Faithful and the Fallen series is in my Top 5 fantasy series of all-time and an excellent example of how a story can be both heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. It's very rare that a writer has the ability to put you through so many conflicting emotions in the process of reading their books, but John has that unique knack and ...more
Celeste
Actual rating: 6 out of 5 stars
“Truth and courage are the banners I live by. Love, loyalty and friendship shall be my guiding light. I will be the bright star in the night sky, the candle in the darkness. The defender of the innocent, protector of the weak. I will bring hope to the lost, give my life for the helpless. With Truth as my shield, and Courage as my sword, I shall stand against the darkness. From this day on, until the time of my death.”
— The Oath of The Order of the Bright Star.

I f
Haïfa
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher, Pan Macmillan, in exchange for an honest opinion. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and the quotes included may have changed in the released copy.

Buddy read with one of my favorite warriors, Celeste.

You can find this spoiler-free review and more at Novel Notions.

A Time of Courage is the glorious and bittersweet conclusion of 140 hundred years (or I should probably say 2000 years) worth of bloody history in the Banished Lands!

I have to admit that I w
Deborah Obida
Buddy read with Ikenna

You know an author is good at what he does when all books in the series are awesome. I remember the first time I came across John Gwynne's book, it was the cover that attracted me to read it and the writing, plot, characters etc made me a huge fan.

Audrey
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Time of courage is without doubt one of the most powerful ending of a trilogy or even a saga I ever read.

When I began my journey in the banished lands I didn’t realize how much I will appreciate this saga. Seven books and never bored. John Gwynne is a incredible author and I think accurate to call him the lord of war. Through his entire saga we have navigated across epics battlefields, duels... no one similar to the other.

The strength of the trilogy and even the entire saga is beyond a great st
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
If you have been reading this know that this stunning finale is absolutely fucking awesome and everything you want and need. It’s a goddamn masterpiece. It’s is easily one of the most exhausting books I’ve ever read in terms of the larger than life scale and length of the battle sequences.

This is definitely one of my favourite sagas of all time. The first four books were amazing and thrilling; classic epic fantasy as good went up against bad in one of the most bloodthirsty showdowns I’ve ever fe
Maja Ingrid
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Spoilerfree!

I can’t believe this journey is over! I’ve cried, laughed, been so so angry and had my heart broken over and over. All the emotions! I’ve fallen in love with so many characters in this new cast and hated some others. While still constantly missing the old cast, I’ve had many great new meanings, and a couple of fond reunions. And now I had to say goodbye AGAIN.

(Also I have to get it out of my chest but for almost whole series or since Blood I kept imagining Dagur the Deranged as Cul
Claudia
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Here I am, at the end of the Banished Lands saga, and what a ride this has been! The whole range of emotions passed over me, being utterly immersed in this story; it was a wild ride, bloody and dreadful but totally worth it.

And there is hope in the future for another tale in this universe - I look forward to that.
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘Take your weapons and face your fear. There is only one hope today. And that hope is you.’
~
If I had to describe a book which is my ideal kind of read, the very embodiment of a fantasy that is near on perfect for me, then A Time of Courage is that book. In fact, I would even go as far to say that this entire series is my all-time favourite. We first began our time in the Banished Lands in Malice, the first book of The Faithful and the fallen quartet. We began a tale of good vs evil, of unlikely
Terry
5.0/5.0 stars. Review to come.
Kayla
Why can i not buy a hardcover copy of this? the only editions im seeing online are kindle and paperback but i have the rest of this series in hardcover
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(E-ARC recieved from Pan Macmillan via Netgalley. A heartfelt Thank You to the publisher for approving my request to read this awesome book in advance.)

A phenomenal ending to the trilogy. Action-packed, emotional, and thrilling, written with a passionate sincerity and heart which is the lifeblood of any classic epic fantasy tale. For the time being, this can be said to be a wave of goodbye to the Banished Lands of John Gwynne. It was enjoyable to its core with its sweeping tale of courage, love,
Patricia Crowther
eARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

Gosh, where to even start? Firstly, I LOVED it! However, it’s difficult not to compare this trilogy with the Faithful and the Fallen quartet. In my honest opinion, there is no comparison; TFATF will always be up there with the best of the best. Corban and the gang were unforgettable and are simply irreplaceable in my eyes. Just the merest mention of Maquin and a tear springs to my eye. His scene on the bridge in Wrath is
Michael
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Epic fantasy fans
5-stars for Mr Gwynne, again!

This was a feast of battle that took me back to my D&D role-playing days. There are a few breaks from the fighting but for those combat fans out there, you will love this.

I believe it was 2015 when I happened upon a copy of Malice and Valour in a charity shop and so began my journey through the Banished Lands. I bought Ruin and Wrath when they became available afterwards and then went on to read this trilogy, and what a finale this was!

My favourite character was Dre
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had very high expectations for A Time of Courage after reading the first two novels in the series (and from the Faithful and the Fallen series before that) but this novel just blew me out of the water. It was spectacular. From the first page to the last I was hooked and I didn’t want to put it down (for the sake of my eyes I had to at some point).

The story picks up immediately after the end of book two so I won’t give any spoilers but it just shifts right into the story and it doesn’t really l
David S Meanderings)
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
4.25 stars.

Thank you so much to Orbit books for a physical arc of this book. Receiving this in no way affected my review.

“Sometimes the only answer is blood and steel.”

I have had a really hard time writing this review because of how much I adored John Gwynne’s previous series in this world, The Faithful and the Fallen. I ended up comparing the two quite a lot as I read and that is never good for writing a review. However, now that my brain has finally been able to process things after a few days
Shreyas
This was a fantastic read and ending to this saga. From the outset you are taken on a roller-coaster of a ride, with ups and downs, twists and turns. The culmination in one hell of a battle you'll not want to miss. At the end you'll be cheering and crying, well worth it.

MASTERPIECE!

Ratings:-🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Aram Brazilian
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone loves this series - and there's a reason for the consensus. It's well-written and moves fast. It takes you on a ride you'll never forget. You'll meet as many foes as friends, each of them memorable. Gwynne's talent is as much imagination as it is skill. A lot of creativity was spent on these stories, so don't let it go to waste. His writing is a pleasure to read - tickles my head and tackles my heart - easy to feel immersed. It's cinematic.

It doesn't matter if you haven't read The Fait
Flying Monkey
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, audible, favorites
5 Stars!

An amazing conclusion to the "Of Blood and Bone" Series. Amazing characters, world-building, magic, and conclusion. Everything you could ask for in the final book to this series.

Well done, John Gwynne!
Andreas
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
If I'm to be completely honest I didn't think this trilogy was necessary. The first series told a perfect story and had a satisfying ending. And to sort of open things up again and say that, 'nah, this is the real ending', kind of cheapens all that happened in the first series and how it ended. With that being said I still liked this trilogy. Not as much as the first series, but it was obviously still very good.
I'm very excited about his next series. It'll be nice with a new world and a fresh st
Samir
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing

''To love and friendship, and bonds that cannot be broken.''

Fantasy Buddy Reads: A Time of Courage [Apr 20, 2020] 3 23 Apr 19, 2020 07:29AM

• The Black Song (Raven's Blade, #2)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
  • The Color Purple
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade & Silvereye, #1)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)
  • The Lessons Never Learned (The War Eternal #2)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal, #1)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • From Cold Ashes Risen (The War Eternal, #3)
  • Legacy of Ash (Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • Kings of Heaven (Ash and Sand, #3)
  • Queen of Storms (The Firemane Saga #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
Malice is my debut novel. Goldsboro Books of London, specialists in signed first-editions, have made Malice their 'Book of the Month' for December 2012.

I was born in Singapore while my dad was stationed there in the RAF. Up until he retired that meant a lot of traveling around, generally a move every three years or so.

I live with my wife and four wonderful (and demanding) children in East Sussex.

Of Blood and Bone (3 books)
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)

News & Interviews

“We are just people, all of us the same. Flawed, fragile, stubborn, angry, happy. And life treats no one differently. We are born, and we live, and then we die. It’s what we do while we are here that counts. And if we can be called friend, then we are lucky indeed.” 1 likes
“The defender of the innocent, protector of the weak. I will bring hope to the lost, give my life for the helpless... With truth as my shield... And Courage as my sword, I shall stand against the darkness.” 0 likes