Start by marking “A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)

A Time of Courage

(Of Blood and Bone #3)

Battle the dark
Reclaim the world

The Demon-King of the Otherworld is finally free. And armed with mighty new starstone weapons, Asroth prepares to lead his demonic war-host south. With the help of his dark bride Fritha, he plans to crush the warrior-angels and their allies.

In the shadows of Forn Forest, Riv and the surviving Ben-Elim hold a war council. After the
Published April 2nd 2020 by Pan Macmillan

Start your review of A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
Petrik
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Epic fantasy & The Faithful and the Fallen fans
ARC provided by the publisherPan Macmillanin exchange for an honest review.

A Time of Courage is one of the best final books to a series Ive ever read in my life. It was truly a bittersweet, satisfying, and masterfully crafted finale to conclude Of Blood and Bone and the entirety of The Banished Lands saga.

Permit me to start this review with words from Gwynne himself:

So, finally we come to the end of this series, and with it, the end of the Banished Lands tales. Although Of Blood and Bone is
John Gwynne
Dec 03, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The cover to A Time of Courage has been released. I hope you like it!

This is quite a moment for me, seeing the cover art for what is in effect the culmination of seven books and the end of 150 years history of the Banished Lands.

I'm thrilled with how this cover came out, and overjoyed at the level of detail the amazing Paul Young has put into it...
There are numerous elements in this cover that make my inner-geek extremely happy - the long axe with norse runes that spell 'The Final Battle,' the
James Lafayette Tivendale
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, freecopy
I received an advanced review copy of A Time of Courage in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank John Gwynne and Tor for the opportunity.

A Time of Courage is the final entry in the Of Blood and Bone trilogy and the seventh story that takes place in Gwynne's phenomenal fantasy world The Banished Lands. After completing and adoring all of Gwynne's work I am running out of ways to describe how exceptional a writer he is. I will not say too much here regarding the actual storyline
Will.J.R. Gwynne
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A TIME OF COURAGE IS OUT TODAY

Buy it here - A Time of Courage - Amazon

Look at this review by Fantasy Faction...

A Time of Courage - Fantasy Faction
Emma
All the stars (Bright ones, of course)

*****

Now THIS is the way you end a series. Readers and writers beware, a new standard has been set.

A Time of Courage closes the story arc first begun in Malice, a tale of good and evil recounted by the many loved and hated voices of the Banished Lands. It culminates in a battle so visually and emotionally impactful that I had to put the book down several times just to process what Id seen and heard and felt. Throughout the epic final section my heart beat
Edward
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A TIME OF COURAGE IS RELEASED TODAY!! What a moment, the Banished Lands Saga is over, 6 books have built up to this finale and it will not disappoint. Truth and courage!

***

A Time or Courage, The by final book of Of Blood and Bone is AMAZING. I wont say too much, but it is a phenomenal last chapter in The Banished Lands that had me as always crying, laughing, punching the air and wanting to take up my spear and shield and join the shield-wall. Cant wait for you all to read it. Truth and courage!
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves fantasy
I received an ARC from the publisher (Pan Macmillan) in exchange for an honest review.

Flawless!

No word better describes the result of the time and effort John Gwynne has put into A Time of Courage, the finale of the Of Blood and Bone series. It is a monumental achievement to have wrapped up this series so perfectly and speaks to the care and dedication that the author has put into this work, the love for it permeating every page.

I will spare you any spoilers by not discussing the plot, but I
TS Chan
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ARC received from the publisher, Pan Macmillan, in exchange for an honest review.

A Time of Courage is a stunning masterpiece that proved yet again that John Gwynne is a force to be reckoned with; primed and poised to joined the ranks of the greatest fantasy authors.

By now, you would've already seen my co-bloggers' raving reviews for A Time of Courage. Believe me, every single word and praise heaped upon this book was warranted and well-deserved. We pretty much read the eARC together the moment
Nick Borrelli
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When people talk about the very best writers in the fantasy genre today, I always insist that John Gwynne's name has to be mentioned in that conversation. His The Faithful and the Fallen series is in my Top 5 fantasy series of all-time and an excellent example of how a story can be both heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. It's very rare that a writer has the ability to put you through so many conflicting emotions in the process of reading their books, but John has that unique knack and ...more
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
f you have been reading this know that this stunning finale is absolutely fucking awesome and everything you want and need. Its a goddamn masterpiece. Its is easily one of the most exhausting books Ive ever read in terms of the larger than life scale and length of the battle sequences.

This is definitely one of my favourite stories of all time. The first four books were amazing and thrilling; classic epic fantasy as good went up against bad in one of the most bloodthirsty showdowns Ive ever felt
Kayla
Why can i not buy a hardcover copy of this? the only editions im seeing online are kindle and paperback but i have the rest of this series in hardcover
Patricia Crowther
eARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

Gosh, where to even start? Firstly, I LOVED it! However, its difficult not to compare this trilogy with the Faithful and the Fallen quartet. In my honest opinion, there is no comparison; TFATF will always be up there with the best of the best. Corban and the gang were unforgettable and are simply irreplaceable in my eyes. Just the merest mention of Maquin and a tear springs to my eye. His scene on the bridge in Wrath is
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(E-ARC recieved from Pan Macmillan via Netgalley. A heartfelt Thank You to the publisher for approving my request to read this awesome book in advance.)

A phenomenal ending to the trilogy. Action-packed, emotional, and thrilling, written with a passionate sincerity and heart which is the lifeblood of any classic epic fantasy tale. For the time being, this can be said to be a wave of goodbye to the Banished Lands of John Gwynne. It was enjoyable to its core with its sweeping tale of courage, love,
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had very high expectations for A Time of Courage after reading the first two novels in the series (and from the Faithful and the Fallen series before that) but this novel just blew me out of the water. It was spectacular. From the first page to the last I was hooked and I didnt want to put it down (for the sake of my eyes I had to at some point).

The story picks up immediately after the end of book two so I wont give any spoilers but it just shifts right into the story and it doesnt really let
Robin Carter
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Review

A Time of Courage brings to conclusion the epic second trilogy from John Gwynne, as with all final books in the series its a bitter sweet read, as you race towards a conclusion, you also fear the ending, the end of a long standing relationship with so many truly wonderful characters and a land that has become home on many evenings.......

(Click link above for full review)
Jordan
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
What an ending! This has been such an incredible and epic trilogy, I'm sad to see it end, but feel completely satisfied with this ending.

Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

What a truly phenomenal way to wrap up this trilogy! I've been thoroughly enjoying each installment in the Of Blood and Bone series from John Gwynne over the past few years and the fact that it's over is bittersweet, as it was a perfect conclusion, yet I'm still a little sad that's over. I know that Gwynne is
Maddalena
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this novel from Pan McMillan through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review: my thanks to both of them for this opportunity.

Since this is the third and final volume of the trilogy, and given its high narrative stakes, this will be a spoiler-free review, so that you will be able to fully enjoy the climax of the story once you get to it.

Once again I discovered how easy it is to go back to this complex, multi-layered world and the characters who people it: unlike previous times,
Philippa Mary
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-releases
*I received a digital copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
This was such a fantastic conclusion to this trilogy. I cannot say enough good things about this book and trilogy. The characters are so well written, the world is amazing and the plot will keep you gripped from the start. If you haven't started this trilogy yet, I highly recommend you do.
Geert Drost
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Last Saturday this final installment of the Blood and Bone series in the Banished Lands arrived. At first I was overwhelmed by the chonky size of it, but two days later I can only conclude that it was a superb ride and ending.

Gwynne is with Sanderson my favourite fantasy author of the moment. And because of his writings about hope and friendship for me at the moment the best. The books of Gwynne have for me the same lessons as Lord of the Rings. There is always something good worth fighting for.
Katharina
Dec 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
I am sooo happy that there is a release date - I didnt dare to touch part 1 yet, because I want to read them alllllll without waiting time! ...more
David S Meanderings)
RTC. I have a lot of thoughts and feelings that I need to process. Dang, John Gwynne always sticks the landing.
Sean
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Received ARC from Pan Macmillan and Netgalley for honest read and review.
Wow how can you review a book that culminates one of the best ever series I have had the pleasure to read.
This started years ago with the first 4 book trilogy....and then this 2nd series set years after.

A true gem of a series that,if you have not read,you have to give it a go-you will not be in any way disappointed.

I can not rate highly enough,this was by far the read of the year,I know it is only March,but I don't care..
I
James Stewart
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced rollercoaster of a story catching my breath for the next book
Soumyadeep Ray
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An absolute blockbuster
Yuri
Apr 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: i-need
I don't know if and when the hardcover edition will make it's way to my door. Preordering usually means I get my books, but my regular site doesn't have the hardcover edition in stock anymore (doesn't say anything about preorders though) and I've gotten no updates. Fingers crossed, otherwise I'll just buy it somewhere else.
Ninosleah
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book very fast paced and full of action, Very strong storyline once I started it I couldn't put it down would recommend this highly to anyone who likes historical fantasy's with lots of battles and adventures.
Jem
Oct 31, 2019 marked it as in-possession-to-read
I have one word for how I feel about this book coming out, and that word is: yes

(Sometimes when Im sitting alone in the dark I just reflect on how lucky I am to be born in a time when the most amazing books are being released)

(That was 31 words. So lets stick with yes.)
Laura Newsholme
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book marks the end of an era. Our time in the Banished Lands has come to an end, and what a satisfying and battle-laden end it is! In this final instalment we follow Riv, Bleda, Fritha, Jin, Drem and many others as they prepare for and fight the final battle.

The Positives: John Gwynne has managed to tie up every loose thread in this book, which is very impressive and incredibly satisfying for the reader. Each character has a full arc that is authentic and believable. There are some very
Danilo
Apr 04, 2020 is currently reading it
I was only one chapter in the story and already had to cry at a memory of the first pov character. I love, how John is able to let me feel emotional attached to his characters.
Lance Snyder
Jan 26, 2020
Fantasy Buddy Reads: A Time of Courage [Apr 20, 2020] 2 12 Dec 23, 2019 10:31AM

• The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • The Doors of Eden
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
  • The Color Purple
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Camelot (The Arthurian Tales, #2)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal #1)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark #2)
  • Ravencaller (The Keepers, #2)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Neon Leviathan
Malice is my debut novel. Goldsboro Books of London, specialists in signed first-editions, have made Malice their 'Book of the Month' for December 2012.

I was born in Singapore while my dad was stationed there in the RAF. Up until he retired that meant a lot of traveling around, generally a move every three years or so.

I live with my wife and four wonderful (and demanding) children in East Sussex.

Of Blood and Bone (3 books)
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)

News & Interviews