YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Archive > Sonnie's 2020 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sonnie (last edited Mar 29, 2020 01:32PM) (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments I'm not *technically* new here, but I don't think I've ever posted. I've just been a lurker lol. So, hi everyone!

2020 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Also just want to continue trying to finish series I've started in the past (I have a LONG spreadsheet that I use to keep up with this lol) and I'm putting myself on a book buying ban (minus pre-orders) until I've read 10 books that I already own... we'll see how it goes lol.

January
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas
February
Angry God (All Saints High, #3) by L.J. Shen Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1) by Barbara Park The Beautiful Ashes (Broken Destiny, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2) by Barbara Park In the Unlikely Event by L.J. Shen Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3) by Barbara Park The End Zone by L.J. Shen Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying (Junie B. Jones, #4) by Barbara Park
March
Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5) by Barbara Park Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday (Junie B. Jones, #6) by Barbara Park Emma by Jane Austen Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7) by Barbara Park Maybe Someday (Maybe, #1) by Colleen Hoover Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8) by Barbara Park Maybe Now (Maybe, #2) by Colleen Hoover
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Series To Finish
Finished: 1/ 58
Shadowhunters Shorts:
The Last Hours (Shadowhunters):
The Eldest Curses (Shadowhunters)
The Bronze Horseman
Anita Blake
The Dresden Files:
The Wolves of Mercy Falls:
The Raven Cycle
As The World Dies
Royally
The Bodyguards (Royally Spinoff- Not Out Yet)*
Throne of Glass
The Arcana Chronicles (up to date)*
Outlander
Mercy Thompson
The Vampire Chronicles (Anne Rice)
Half-Moon Hollow
Naked Werewolf
Maybe (C. Hoover)
Simon Snow
The Royals
Fever (newer books)
A Court of Thorns & Roses (last novella)
After
Wicked
Mythos Academy
Fall Away
Wait For You
Finding Fate
Never Never (parts 2 &3)
Shatter Me (newer books)
Sweet
Pushing the Limits
Marked Men
Death Collector
The Ivy Chronicles
The Heroes of Olympus
Goddess War
Rot & Ruin
Under the Never Sky
Poison Study
Partials
Angelfire
Nevermore
Highlander (KMM)
Across the Universe
The Iron Fey
Mara Dyer
The Shaw Confessions (MD Spinoff)
Evernight
Dublin Murder Squad
Anne of Green Gables
Nightshade
Wicked Lovely
The Field Party
Sinners of Saint
All Saints High
Broken Destiny

message 2: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Finished Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas . (view spoiler)

Next up is Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7) by Sarah J. Maas I don't know if I'm ready lol. I'm so worried!

message 3: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2126 comments Mod
Hi Sonnie! We're so happy to have you! Good luck on your challenge! 😁

message 4: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Liliana wrote: "Hi Sonnie! We're so happy to have you! Good luck on your challenge! 😁"

Thank you! <3

message 5: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4404 comments Mod
Sonnie!! Its about time you stopped lurking! So good to have you here. For KoA go see the throne of glass readalong, you will get a lot of thoughts as youre reading and I want to hear all yours.

Good luck on the read 10 before buying! I would fail at that, Im hoping to manage 3 before buying this year.....

How many series do you have to catch up on? Any of them the same as myself? I always love a buddy read :)

message 6: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 582 comments Good luck with your challenges! And ooooh Kingdom of Ash is one of my all-time favs - if you feel like venting at any point I’m here! Hehe

message 7: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments I'll check it out, Britt! These are the series that I haven't finished yet, if we have the same let me know and we'll buddy read:
Shadowhunters Shorts:
The Eldest Curses (Shadowhunters)
The Bronze Horseman
Anita Blake
The Dresden Files:
The Wolves of Mercy Falls:
The Raven Cycle
As The World Dies
Royally
The Bodyguards (Royally Spinoff)
Throne of Glass
The Arcana Chronicles
Outlander
Mercy Thompson
The Vampire Chronicles (Anne Rice)
Half-Moon Hollow
Naked Werewolf
Maybe (C. Hoover)
Simon Snow
The Royals
Fever (newer books)
A Court of Thorns & Roses (last novella)
After
Wicked
Mythos Academy
Fall Away
Wait For You
Finding Fate
Never Never (parts 2 &3)
Shatter Me (newer books)
Sweet
Pushing the Limits
Marked Men
Death Collector
The Ivy Chronicles
The Heroes of Olympus
Goddess War
Rot & Ruin
Under the Never Sky
Poison Study
Partials
Angelfire
Nevermore
Highlander (KMM)
Across the Universe
The Iron Fey
Mara Dyer
The Shaw Confessions (MD Spinoff)
Evernight
Dublin Murder Squad
Anne of Green Gables
Nightshade
Wicked Lovely
The Field Party
Sinners of Saint
All Saints High

Thank you Laura! I'm so nervous! And a bit intimidated by it's size lol.

message 8: by Brittany (last edited Jan 11, 2020 10:12PM) (new)

Where are you in Mercy Thompson? I need to catch back up
I also need to read the newer Fever books
Finding Fate book 2 and 3
Marked Men
Poison Study the last 3

Need to start Outlander.... and Mythos Academy and The Heroes of Olympus

message 9: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 582 comments Brittany wrote: "Where are you in Mercy Thompson? I need to catch back up
I also need to read the newer Fever books
Finding Fate book 2 and 3
Marked Men
Poison Study the last 3

Need to start Outlander.... and Myth..."

@Brittany I also need to read the last 3 of Poison Study!

And need to finish Outlander (3 books in) and The Heroes of Olympus (1 book in! )

message 10: by Brittany (new)

I'll need a bit before I can start poison study, I own book 5 but not book 4 and this is a series I want to own all of. But maybe later in the year we could all buddy read it?

message 11: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 582 comments @Brittany could do!

message 12: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments I'm down for buddy reading Poison Study! I need to read the last 3 books in it too. Ya'll just let me know when because I will definitely need to refresh my memory on them.
I've only finished book one of Mercy Thompson lol.
And need to read 2 & 3 as well in Finding Fate.
Also only 1 book into Heroes of Olympus.

Britt if you start the new Fever books let me know. I just bought the first 3 of them for Christmas.

I'm in the process of moving houses right now so all my reading is being put on hold until we get everything settled and it's KILLING me lol.

message 13: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 677 comments Where are you in the Dresden Files and Rot&Ruin series?

message 14: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Dresden I'm on #10 Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10) by Jim Butcher and I only finished book 1 of Rot & Ruin.

message 15: by Anna (last edited Jan 15, 2020 05:37PM) (new)

Anna | 36 comments Sonnie wrote: "I'll check it out, Britt! These are the series that I haven't finished yet, if we have the same let me know and we'll buddy read:
Shadowhunters Shorts:
The Eldest Cu..."

Hi Sonnie :)
I can’t wait until you get to The Bronze Horseman, Outlander, and Mythos Academy. I gotta hear your thoughts. I really need to catch up on Mercy/Alpha Omega, Fever, Poison, and Anne of Green Gables too!
Hmm Maybe I need to start a challenge over here? Lol.

message 16: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 677 comments Sonnie wrote: "Dresden I'm on #10 Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10) by Jim Butcher and I only finished book 1 of Rot & Ruin."

I plan to reread rot and ruin series next month, if you don't finish before then once I get caught up we can buddy read if you want!

I've only done the first Dresden file so don't foresee catching up on that haha!

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Sonnie wrote: "I'm down for buddy reading Poison Study! I need to read the last 3 books in it too. Ya'll just let me know when because I will definitely need to refresh my memory on them.
I've only finished book ..."

I've read Iced and Burned and I own Feverborn and could read it basically whenever

You'll get through the move and then there will be more time for books :)

message 18: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments FINALLY moved in! Sorry I've been MIA, it's been an ordeal over here lol.

Anna you should totally make a challenge page here! I promise, I'm going to be more active too lol!

Heather, IDK but at the rate JB is going on writing the next book in the series we could both probably catch up if we wanted to lol!

Britt, I hope so! I just now finished my first book of the year. We bought a fixer upper so it's taken time, but it's coming along!

Still reading Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7) by Sarah J. Maas I'm enjoying it, but I'm dragging in it.
But I finished Angry God (All Saints High, #3) by L.J. Shen today! I basically died and came back to life it was so good lol. Also thinking i'm going to binge the rest of her books and maybe put Kindom of Ash on hold for a minute, although I hate doing that.

message 19: by Brittany (last edited Feb 17, 2020 12:13PM) (new)

KoA is such a long book. Although most of it was amazing it was a lot to read so I get it if you need to take a break.

Also glad to hear you are getting all settled in at the new place!

message 20: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Exactly Britt!

Forgot to post that I've also started reading chapter books with River in preparation for Harry Potter lol. Right now we're on Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1) by Barbara Park . I'm counting these as part of my reading goal too because they're taking away from my reading time lol! Still love hearing "Just one more chapter, Mom! Please!" though!

message 21: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Yes! Count the chapter books too! You are technically reading them sooo 🤷‍♀️😂

message 22: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Well, we finished the first Junie B. Jones book last night! And I'm definitely counting them lol!

Also decided to juggle a few books so I can still have a break from Kingdom of Ash without completely setting it aside. So now I am reading:
Kindle: In the Unlikely Event by L.J. Shen
Audible: The Beautiful Ashes (Broken Destiny, #1) by Jeaniene Frost
Hardback: Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7) by Sarah J. Maas
River's Book: Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2) by Barbara Park

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna | 36 comments I would definitely count those JBJ books, Sonnie! Lol. They add up too. Emmy used to love them.
How are you liking that other Jeaniene Frost series?

message 24: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments I am enjoying it! It's about the third time I've tried to read it (the other times I just wasn't in the mood for PNR/UF). It's not quit as good as Night Huntress, but it's still good! And I've heard the next books are even better.

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Makes sense. And absolutely count them. Love that River is already all about that one more chapter

message 26: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Finished listening to The Beautiful Ashes (Broken Destiny, #1) by Jeaniene Frost . Starting The Sweetest Burn (Broken Destiny, #2) by Jeaniene Frost next!

Also, just realized after I finished Angry God that I completed another series... but I just started the above series so that really didn't help any lol.

message 27: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Nice, Sonnie! Yeah I totally get that about finishing one series only to immediately start another... ooops 🤷‍♀️😂

message 28: by Brittany (new)

Lol the never ending cycle!

message 29: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Finished In the Unlikely Event by L.J. Shen . Loved that it was set in Ireland! I kept picturing the love interest as young Jeffrey Dean Morgan in P.S. I Love You 😂😍
River and I also finished up another one of her chapter books, so that caught me up on my Reading Goal!

message 30: by Brittany (new)

Yay for loving a book and for reading goal catch up! Im gonna fall behind on mine right away.

message 31: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments It won't take you long to get caught back up Britt! You've always been a fast reader!

Started listening to Emma by Jane Austen and I am LOVING it! I've always been Pride and Prejudice fan, but I think I'm going to love Emma even more. I keep flashing back to the movie Clueless when reading it 😍

message 32: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 582 comments Sonnie wrote: "It won't take you long to get caught back up Britt! You've always been a fast reader!

Started listening to Emma by Jane Austen and I am LOVING it! I've always been Pride and Prejudice fan, b..."

I honestly don't think Pride and Prejudice is Austen's best book by far - and it's sad that her other books don't get much attention! Emma is brilliant, and so is Persuasion IMO.

message 33: by Brittany (last edited Feb 23, 2020 05:17PM) (new)

Emma is on my to read list at some point! Glad you are loving it Sonnie!!

Yeah once I get back to it I will catch up quick likely. Just have to get the time and motivation back! I'm also listening to a 20 hour book again so that takes a lot of time.

message 34: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Laura, I've only read Northanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice, and now Emma. But I plan on reading Persuasion or Sense and Sensibility later.

Britt, if you do, listen to it on audible! The narrator is really good! I think they also have a dramatized version as well if you like those!

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna | 36 comments I haven’t read ANY Jane Austen yet. I had planned to read P&P this year. Should I read Emma instead?

message 36: by Brittany (new)

I quite enjoyed P&P when I read it 2 years ago finally.

I might listen to it Sonnie, I dont like using a credit for something I already own a copy of. I could check if the library has it though.

message 37: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Anna just up to you! Both are good, but I just seem to enjoy Emma more.

I bet they would Britt! It's probably super cheap just to buy on Audible too. I can't remember.

message 38: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Finished Emma by Jane Austen and I really loved it! Also hubs took me to see the new movie. It started off a bit slow, but I ended up really enjoying it! I loved their version of Mr. Knightly. Super swoon-worthy.

Next up I think is What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon

message 39: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments I actually ended up rereading Maybe Someday (Maybe, #1) by Colleen Hoover and then read Maybe Now (Maybe, #2) by Colleen Hoover . I needed a feel good reread because I just could not focus on anything with all the stuff going on in the world. But the weather has been perfect this past week so I've been going outside in our yard and reading. Making progress with What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon and am really loving it so far.

message 40: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

That's awesome Sonnie. And I totally get you. I think that's what I need to do cause it's been WEEKS since I touched a book.

message 41: by Brittany (new)

Feel good rereads are helpful for those book slumps!
Glad you are loving the Amy Harmon book. One day I am going to read more of her stuff. Making Faces is still one of my absolute fave books.

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna | 36 comments I’m so glad you loved What the Wind Knows, Sonnie! I hope I’ll like it to when the time comes to read it.

message 43: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Finished From Blood and Ash (Blood And Ash, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout . It was AMAZING. It took me a minute to get into it, but once I did I loved it. I need the next book now! It definitely got me out of my book slump.

Now I'm reading Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1) by Shelby Mahurin and so far I'm loving it.

message 44: by Brittany (new)

Awesome Sonnie.
Glad to hear you are enjoying Serpent and Dove as well. I keep putting it off for some reason.

message 45: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1841 comments Mod
I am so, so glad you loved From Blood and Ash. I love it so much I think it may possibly be my fave JLA book of all time.

message 46: by Sonnie (new)

Sonnie | 83 comments Finished both Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1) by Shelby Mahurin and Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1) by Cassandra Clare . They were both AMAZING and I need the next books now. Chain of Gold was a bit slow, but I have a feeling the next book is going to be a solid 5 stars.

Currently reading Crave (Crave, #1) by Tracy Wolff which has mixed reviews, but I'm giving it a chance. And listening to All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda and Fervent A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer by Priscilla Shirer for my nonfiction book.

message 47: by Brittany (new)

Glad you enjoyed Serpent and Dove, I keep hearing mixed thoughts on it but do want to try it eventually.

message 48: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

So glad to hear you enjoyed Chain of Gold! I've only read one chapter so far but I'm gonna get back to it as soon as I finish Lord of Shadows!

message 49: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 582 comments Sonnie wrote: "Finished both Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1) by Shelby Mahurin and Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1) by Cassandra Clare. They were both AMAZING and I need the next books now. Chain of Gold was a bit slow, but I have a feeling th..."

Brittany wrote: "Glad you enjoyed Serpent and Dove, I keep hearing mixed thoughts on it but do want to try it eventually."

I loved Serpent and Dove and really enjoyed Chain of Gold as well!

message 50: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments Serpent and Dove gave me LIFE
I loved it and I can't wait for the sequel!

« previous 1