Flights of Fantasy discussion

FoF Annual Series Challenge > Colleen's 2020 Simple Series Challenge

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Ok, I think I'm gonna try this, because I want to clear off some series and stop continually starting new ones.

But I want to keep it easy, so:

1 point for reading any book other than first in a series
2 points for finishing a series
-1 points for reading first in a series

Groups reads don't count for negative points, but if I continue a group read then it'll count for positive points.

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited Jan 09, 2020 06:21AM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Starting off the year in the hole with 2 start-of-series books:

-1 - The Trials of Morrigan Crow
-1 - Finn Fancy Necromancy

___

message 3: by Felina (new)

Felina | 821 comments Ha ha!

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 175 comments I like your simple challenge. Good luck with it!

I hadn't considered group reads in my series challenge, but I participate in them so seldom (two or three a year across all my groups) that it probably doesn't matter.

message 5: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Thanks. :)

I probably wouldn't have thought of group reads if I didn't happen to be reading one while I made the points system.

Still deciding what to do for rereads. I don't necessarily want to do a reread ban, but I don't want to feel guilty about it either?

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 175 comments I haven't made a final decision on what to do about rereads either, but so far I've decided to give rereads 0 points, so they don't affect my challenge either plus or minus. Of course, three of the first four series things I'm reading this year are all rereads... just a coincidence... (sob)

message 7: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Beth wrote: "Of course, three of the first four series things I'm reading this year are all rereads... just a coincidence... "

Lol

message 10: by Beth (last edited Feb 06, 2020 09:48AM) (new)

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 175 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Woo - now I can start some new series!"

Haha, I have this exact same attitude... that points in the black means I've done a good job and can now buy a book* that gives negative points. As long as we aren't in the red by year's end, it's all good! :D

*reading a book at worst gives 0 in my own challenge.

message 11: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Beth wrote: "As long as we aren't in the red by year's end, it's all good! :D"

Exactly! If I end the year with zero or higher, then I'll consider it a win. ^_^

message 12: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Starting Balance
+2
___

0 - Small Spaces (group read)
0 - Stitching Snow (standalone)
+1 - The Murder of Mary Russell
-1 - This Savage Song (currently reading)

___

+2
End Balance

message 13: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Starting Balance +2

___

+2 - Our Dark Duet

___

+4

Time to break out some new series!