Start by marking “Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)” as Want to Read:
Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)

Our Dark Duet

(Monsters of Verity #2)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  31,775 ratings  ·  6,387 reviews
THE WORLD IS BREAKING. AND SO ARE THEY.

KATE HARKER isn't afraid of monsters. She hunts them. And she's good at it.

AUGUST FLYNN once yearned to be human. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost.

THE WAR HAS BEGUN.

THE MONSTERS ARE WINNING.

Kate will have to return to Verity. August will have to let her back in. And a new monster is waiting—one that feeds
Hardcover, First Edition, 512 pages
Published June 13th 2017 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Our Dark Duet, please sign up.
Sienna Whoops I read this three years too late. Our Dark Duet has been out ever since June 13th, 2017...
I agree with you though. This Savage Song is a very …more
I agree with you though. This Savage Song is a very good book and I just finished it a few minutes ago as well. (less)
Brittany Clevenger It's a duology, OUR DARK DUET is the conclusion.

·  31,775 ratings  ·  6,387 reviews

Start your review of Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
Emily May
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Because she knew a secret: there were two kinds of monsters, the kind that hunted the streets and the kind that lived in your head. She could fight the first, but the second was more dangerous. It was always, always, always a step ahead.

Oh shiiiiit. Schwab was not playing nice with our feelings when she wrote this book. I suspect she might be a bit evil, but, you know, in a good way.

Our Dark Duet picks up several months after the events of This Savage Song. August is busy fulfilling his mons
Victoria Schwab
Apr 13, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Now that this book is written and edited and out in 2 months, I guess it's time to finally mark it as read <3 ...more
Hannah
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I WILL NEVER RECOVER
emi
Funny, she thought, that even monsters had fragile hearts.

10382950/5 stars

RIP EMI, 1998-2017

I'm so dead.

Victoria Schwab has killed me one too many times that I'm all out of lives.

I just can't.

The fact that this series is only two books and I'll never get to see my children again makes me so mad. I'm currently saving up for a lawyer so I can sue Victoria for emotional distress.

Also sorry, this review is a complete mess, much like myself right now. I've been trying to write it for three
 Teodora
Taking another ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ from dear old Ilsa, bless her

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

„What happens when the effect kills the cause?”

I will confess: I am furious.
Furious of V.E. Schwab having such a great sense of writing and such an awesome imagination and such a cool touch to the narrative facts. Like, how dare you, V.E.?

Moving on, even though I am still not over you, Ms Schwab, this second book of the duology was slightly better than the first one, This Savage Song. I say slightl
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Same thing I said on the first book reread. And this one did break my heart.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

I loved this book so much but it damn well broke my heart. I'm almost at a loss for words. =(

The thing is, I had this documentary on low that I had watched before on Netflix and it has this really deep music on it. So, here I am reading through the book with this music and it's so perfect and the things that broke my heart with that music playing made it ten fold.

I need something fluffy and goofy to read now.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this was the most incredibly disappointing thing I have read in my life, I feel like I need to climb into a hole and cry and hide from my followers

Okay. You really want to hear it? Because I have thoughts.

First of all, I was not invested in the plot like, at all, and it is due to a fundamental structural flaw. In a series that is structured with each book playing into the next, as this one is, a good second book should be about the fallout of book one. But here, while the repurcussions of book o
C.G. Drews
THIS BOOK LIVES TO TORTURE US. THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY. No wait. I also want to say: it was absolutely gorgeously darkly bloodily brilliant and I'm so so pleased. Also devastated. ALSO PLEASED. Part of me knew how it'd end, though, and I was right and I'm currently c r y i n g ... but it was good. It was a good and perfect book.

I don't want calm feelings anyway.

I also don't want this to be over because August and Kate are two very very very precious characters to me. And everything about this serie
Kai
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"All monsters were not created equal."

4.5 Stars

This was so good. Much better than the first book. If you've read my review of This Savage Song you might know that I only rated it three stars. I struggled with the characters - especially Kate - and the predictability. Overall it just wasn't as spectacular as Schwab's previous novels. This one, however, was a huge improvement.

Where do I start? The plot was much more exciting and fast-paced. The characters felt more real and were more relatable, be
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

“There were two kinds of monsters, the kind that hunted the streets and the kind that lived in your head.”

Look, no one is more disappointed by my rating than me. I adored the the first book! Everyone promised this was even better! I started reading as soon as my copy arrived, so excited!

description

(Did I read the same book as everyone else???)

Before you throw things at me, let me explain the problems I had.

Starting with the abysmal inconsistent pacing. This book is over 500 pages, and somehow n
amy ☂︎
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favs, buddy-read
fun fact: victoria schwab herself liked my pre-review, which looked somewhat like this:

____________

see you in hell, victoria

honestly i'm mainly mad at myself for not being prepared for the abysmal pain and endless suffering schwab's books tend to bring upon me, like @ past me why you always do this to yourself??? STAY WOKE BITCH

[something about me crying into my pillow]

satan is a woman and her name is victoria schwab

____________

so basically the ONE TIME my favorite author notices me is when
Warda
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-fell-in-love
EDIT: so I've been thinking I'm willing to put myself through this numbing agony again because I miss my sweet child, August, like crazy. Probably not wise though... *sigh*

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I am numb again. My soul is not okay. Schwab has a way of making me feel numb with the ending of her books.

Ugh, I don't know how to review this. Fuck you, Schwab. You've left me completely devoid of feeling any emotion.

One thing I will mention though is the interesting take on what killing human beings can do t
emma
Victoria Schwab and I just don’t get along.

I’ve tried. I promise you I’ve tried. In fact, I’ve tried where it’s gone past the point of optimism (and you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone willing to label me “optimistic”) and boarded the express train straight to Illogical, on the border of Straight-Up Masochism.

I read A Darker Shade of Magic and three-starred it. Still, I picked up A Gathering of Shadows and I ONE STARRED IT. Even in spite of all that I purchased - with real, actual dollars - a
jessica
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
iiiim baaack!! i loved my soft little monster, august, way too much to stay away. <3

on a different note, i didnt think this was as good as the first book (only in the slightest). i still enjoyed it, but it felt a bit more dense than necessary. i definitely think this could have been shortened without compromising the story, but i didnt mind too much because of VSs writing. as with the first book, the writing was the highlight for me. malchai uprising? meh. new monster on the loose? its whatever.
Frankie Lovely
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-release
5 stars!

::UPDATE JULY 14, 2017::

IM STILL NOT FUCKING OVER IT! OMG!
KILL ME NOW I'M IN TOO MUCH PAIN!

(view spoiler)

::JULY 10, 2017::
I
AM
WRECKED
may ❀
~ after 45.4 years, full review finally posted ~

At least once in your life, you will get the opportunity to have your heart, soul, and essence smashed and ground into smithereens by some words on pieces of paper. :) Cherish this feeling :) It’s a wonderful, monumental moment of your life. :) No regrets. :)

description

I want Victoria Schwab to wake up every morning knowing that I really really really DISLIKE her !!! hate is a strong word I TRUSTED her with my being and SHE FRICKEN PUNCHED ME IN THE THROAT ~m
April
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"It wasn't easy. The world was
complicated. Life was hard. And so often, living hurt. So make it worth the pain." //

I think I died a little inside. I loved it so much yet hate that it's all over now. 🙁
sofia (sam willows)
6 out of 5 stars. All spoilers are marked.

holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit

THIS IS A FUCKING MASTERPIECE

how fucking dare you, miss victoria schwab. how fucking dare you play with my emotions like that.

*sighs*
*cries*
*screams*
*wipes tear*
*gets self back together*
okay, okay, I'm done ranting. Actually, I'll never be done. This book has skyrocketed its way into the second place my favorites list (let's be real, the first will always be Vicious) and I can't stop thinking about it.

honestly, how can so
Charlotte May
"Everything was going exactly to plan. And that was exactly why she didn't trust it."

3.5 ⭐️

I didn't find myself as invested in this book as the first one, it took longer for me to become gripped. I didn't like Kate's character very much in this one, she came across as arrogant and rude and times.

In Our Dark Duet, Kate and August are living entirely different lives. August is living in Verity - building an army in order to fight the monsters who work for Sloan. And the numbers of monsters seem
Larry H
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

You know when you want to absolutely devour a book, but it's the last book in a series you love, so you're torn between reading it in practically one sitting and savoring it for as long as you can? That's the way I felt about Victoria Schwab's Our Dark Duet, the second and apparently final book in Schwab's Monsters of Verity series. (The first book, This Savage Song, was pretty fantastic, too. See my original review.)

"There were two kinds of monsters, the kind that hunted the streets and the ki
Candace Robinson
Book one is still my fave, but I really liked this one! It took me a while to get into this book since Kate and August were separated for so long. Kate's snark was the best, and that ending was so good!!!! Full review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20... ...more
Simona Bartolotta
“So often, living hurt.”

3.5 maybe? Something between that and 4 stars, anyway.

•I must admit, I didn't remember much from This Savage Song. It was easy to brush everything up once I got started, but the first pages had me a little lost. And then something strange happened: my difficulty to get in sync with the story remained, only its cause shifted from my temporary lack of basic information to something that I'm still not really able to pinpoint with precision, but that is most definitely intern
Chelsea Humphrey
I’m not sure why, but I didn’t seem to love this quite as much as everyone else. It was good, but maybe my expectations were too high for an over the top ending. I do think I did myself a disservice by listening to the audio instead of reading the print copy, as the many similar scenes seemed to run together in my head. I did think the resolution with a few of the characters was really well done, and of course the writing was beautiful because it’s Victoria-Freaking-Schwab. A unique story that I ...more
Sana
95% of the book: *dies of feelsfeelsallthefeels but pretty sure that since haven't really cried yet then probably not going to*
Last 5% of the book: *cries nonstop*

COULDN'T HAVE ENDED BETTER, REALLY. Like just all the things that this series is about always guts me and this book definitely intensified that by a lot, a lot
Ikram
I finished this book the other day but I forgot to update you guys because I was ... you know... sobbing.
Heather
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!!
If I am honest with you, I wasn't expecting it to be. I read This Savage Song last year and while I really enjoyed it, I just didn't love it so when this book came along I was expecting those same feelings.
I am so happy to be proved wrong. I loved the second book! It was easier to get back into the world of Verity and the monsters in them because you already know them.
This book isn't happy. It's a dark, gritty book about monsters and fighting and wrong vs. right but my go
mith
I won't be reviewing this but I did want to leave a small thought or two.
The book wasn't bad--it was a grey finale and I think if you liked This Savage Song, you'll like this one too. The reason it fell a little from my expectations is that it felt a bit slow at times? The book is over 500 pages and it feels like it. Somewhere around the middle, I wasn't eagerly awaiting what was going to happen next; I just wanted things to pick up the pace.
This, however, is probably just a me thing, so don't
Romie
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
well, isn't that an unexpected amount of pain
Misstdennis
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
5000/5 stars
Obviously...

“Mourning was its own kind of music—the sound of so many hearts, of so many breaths, of so many standing together.”

Hey Victoria Schwab, is it okay if I refer you as Sloan for now on? That's okay? Cool.
You sadistic human being...

9 hours it took me to read this book. And in 9 hours, I didn't breath, eat, drink or feel my heart beating.
Not once.

That book was just something else. I'm legitimately struggling for words because I'm trying to hold myself together, but I'm failing
Beatrice in Bookland
The real Sunai here is Victoria Schwab, she just uses words instead of music to steal (and destroy) our souls

• Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
  • A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3)
  • A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.

Monsters of Verity (2 books)
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)