What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Seven Rays
This topic is about The Seven Rays
SOLVED: Children's/YA > YA romance Sci-Fi, girl has powers and falls for a boy she can not be with (is kind of a weird book) [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel Lulay | 3 comments I read a YA romance book about 2-3 years ago that was probably published between 2000 and 2012. It is about a girl who finds a letter addressed to her in her "mom's" stuff, talking about how when she turns 16 she needs to come find them(something like that) She discovers she has mental abilities and that there are a group of girls like her that have a purpose of some kind. She also falls for a boy and they kiss, causing him to go through a transformation. He loses his old skin and can see clearer and after that he has a mental connection with the girl. When the girls "mom" sends her to a institution for being crazy she meets a girl that calls herself a radio because she can get a persons signal. Eventually the boy helps her escape and they find the people that sent her the letters. She goes through tests of some kind and has to cut her hair off to donate for wigs. Then she meets the girls like her and the last thing I remember is that all the girls connect to their actual "mother" before she dies. Oh also the girl and boy can not be intimate because even if they use protection she will become pregnant and become unfeeling, forget she loves him and make it her mission to continue to reproduce. I think he would also die if they had sex. That is all I can remember. Please help me find the title!!

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Wow--no idea, but it will be joining Ift's Mountain Range of TBR's when it's ID'ed.

☯ DαякєηRнαℓ  ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜   (darkhearteternal) | 851 comments O.O I have no idea either but my curiosity is spiked. Hope you find it!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brien | 151 comments I read a short story in the compilation Many Bloody Returns that had some elements in common with this.

I believe it was The Mournful Cry of Owls by Christopher Golden.

The other stories in the book were tie ins to series. Maybe this was too?

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Just got my daily list of ebooks that are either free or on sale for cheap, and this one was in it. Sounds a bit like it could be yours Redemption

Then a second one that I thought it could be (heavy into the YA's in this list) Rae of Hope

Rats--that had been a third one following along the same kind of lines, but appearantly I didn't get it.

I'm feeling miserable right now (coming down with a cold) but after a nap I'll see if I still have the list in my email's trash file.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee Polmanteer | 10 comments Sounds familiar but I can't place it. Is you like books like that check out Shauna Granger (Grainger?) series called Elementals and Jessica Sorensons Fallen Star series. The book you describe sound like something both authors would write, especially Jessica Sorenson. I think the first books are free or .99 on Amazon and are well worth it!

message 7: by SparksofEmber (last edited Nov 12, 2014 02:45PM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments What kind of mental abilities? Was it part of a series or standalone? Do you remember anything about the cover?
Check this list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...?

I don't think this is it but maybe: The Summoning
Honey Queen has the "don't mate or he'll die" thing but that's the only similarity.

Rachel Lulay | 3 comments SparksofEmber wrote: "What kind of mental abilities? Was it part of a series or standalone? Do you remember anything about the cover?
Check this list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...?

I d..."

I actually do not remember her abilities but I think she could maybe tell if someone was lying. Also she may have been a goddess of some kind.

message 9: by SparksofEmber (last edited Nov 17, 2014 10:03AM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments In that case, maybe this listopia will have it:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Could it be Daughter of Isis? Daughter of Isis (Descendants of Isis #1) by Kelsey Ketch Probably not...

Darkness Becomes Her? Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1) by Kelly Keaton ? She does go to a mental institute but it's to learn more about her mother who killed herself there, not because she is sent there herself...

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4880 comments The Seven Rays The Seven Rays by Jessica Bendinger

School Library Journal:
Beth, a straight-A Columbia University-bound senior from Illinois, suddenly begins seeing odd images that do not make sense. Pink dots cover her best friend, and woven braids appear to jump around her mother. When she receives a letter postmarked from New York City that reads "You are more than you think you are," Beth wonders if that is indeed true—or if she is losing her mind. In the midst of all this, Beth falls for an older troubled classmate in one her elective college courses. A first kiss leads to literal electricity, extreme heat, and Richie's entanglement in Beth's mysterious and terrifying life. He aids her in an elaborate escape from a mental-health facility(view spoiler)

message 11: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Wow - that sure sounds like it!

Rachel Lulay | 3 comments Tab wrote: "The Seven RaysThe Seven Rays by Jessica Bendinger

School Library Journal:
Beth, a straight-A Columbia University-bound senior from Illinois, suddenly begins seeing odd images that do..."

Holy crap that's it!!!!!!!! When I saw the cover I knew and started freaking out!!! I have been searching forever! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 13: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4880 comments you're welcome :)