Start by marking “Many Bloody Returns” as Want to Read:
Many Bloody Returns

Many Bloody Returns

(Vampire Files #11.4 - Grave-Robbed)

Never-before-published vampire stories by Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, and many others.

Suspenseful, surprising, sometimes dark, sometimes humorous-these all-new stories will ensure that readers never think of vampires (or birthdays) in quite the same way again.

In New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris's "Dracula Night," Sookie Stackhouse
Published September 4th 2007 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Many Bloody Returns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Many Bloody Returns

Marianne
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dracula Night is a short story in the Sookie Stackhouse series by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. Eric invites Sookie to celebrate Dracula Night at his nightclub, Fangtasia. Dress-code cocktail wear, so she buys a new dress, pink with sequins. She’s quite amazed at Eric’s almost groupie-like hope that Prince Dracula himself might grace their humble club, and consequently, his judgement is a little off. But Sookie has her finger on the pulse, and takes the necessary action, although th ...more
Alaina
Many Bloody Returns: Tales of Birthdays with Bite was an okay kind of book. I guess I'm into vampires..but not that into them? I don't know if that makes sense but I'm writing this review after several glasses of win (trust me the day called for it) so bear with me?

Now this book had a bunch of short stories wrapped into this book. However, not all of them stuck out to me. I remember the Sookie Stackhouse one mostly because I've seen a couple of episodes of various seasons.. and also read some bo
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I love these Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance anthology mashups focusing on themes. I have now read the one with weddings (My Big Supernatural Wedding), now here we are with birthdays.

Charlaine Harris opened the anthology with a Sookie book (be still my heart.) Oh my, Dracula Night was SO much fun. It was a delight to read an old-school style Sookie story with Eric there in all his original glory, before Harris decided to flatten with a hammer into a one-dimensional toon. Plenty of Sookie detail
Seth
Overall, I'm giving Many Bloody Returns three stars, but that's for the general quality of the three stories I read, the value of the theme, and the collection of popular authors. Since all of these stories seem to be set in continuing series, I only read the ones for series I read, since these are unlikely to be good introductions.

Reviews of the stories themselves:

Charlain Harris contributes a rather mediocre Sookie Stackhouse story set on Dracula's Birthday. The story is passable, but it revol
Kat
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Basic Premise: Vampires + birthdays.

I'm not nearly as "into" vampires as I once was- Anne Rice and Laurell K. Hamilton pretty well cured me of THAT phase... Blech. However, I was hunting for more Dresden Files material, since I've read all the books and am between series, and this book popped up on my search. There are a lot of interesting stories in here. Unfortunately, many of them kind of blur together at this point, which is the problem when one reads a lot of short stories in a short amount
Jamie
1) Dracula Night by Charlaine Harris.
What the heck is an 'Entergy bill'? I think she meant energy bill but still to see that in the very first story, first page was an major eye-blink moment. Playful and a bit ridiculous but a fun read. I have yet to read the Sookie Stackhouse novels but have seen the show so I kept seeing their faces but I struggled most with Eric how had a puppy dog quality in this story. Charlie Brown indeed!

2) The Mournful Cry of Owls by Christopher Golden
Well written but a
Jim
I wasn't as thrilled with this as I thought I'd be, but it wasn't bad. It mostly interested me for the new talent. Several short stories were by authors who normally don't write in the genre & I found them to be the best. I won't go into all the stories, but hit some of the high points.

Since the TOC isn't listed in the blurb, here it is:
CONTENTS
Introduction: A Few Words by Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P.
Kelner
Dracula Night by Charlaine Harris
The Mournful Cry of Owls by Christopher Golden
I W
Tatiana
13 stories in this anthology have a theme in common - vampire birthdays. I didn't really read the entire book, simply because after a few failures I realized that I rarely like anthologies and only enjoy the stories written by the authors I know. Therefore out of 13 short stories published in this book I read only 2.

"Dracula Night" by Charlaine Harris - a Sookie story about Eric's party in honor of Dracula's birthday. In one word, disappointing. While I enjoyed some insight in vampire tradition
The Flooze
Enjoyable anthology, with several solid contributions-some of which have encouraged me to check out new writers.

Harris: Dracula's birthday party, hosted by Fangtasia. I love anything Eric-related. Pam continues to be the funniest character of the series.

Golden: Eastern European folklore brings a twist to a 16 year old's life. I like Golden, but I think the story would've been better had we seen more of the character post-"big reveal".

Crider: Teenage vampire tells his tale. Trite. Ends very abrup
Megan
Sep 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
What a letdown :( Craving more from Charlaine Harris I picked this one up because of the Sookie/Pam/Eric story. Unfortunately, even that wasn't as good as I expected. Without giving away specifics or spoilers, let me just say that at the climax of the story, Sookie acts very out of character. In fact, the vampires act out of character, too. Although I enjoyed the brief trip to Harris' Bon Temps and Shreveport, I was left feeling ripped off. I mean ~ I sort of enjoyed Harris' story because I alre ...more
oliviasbooks
I should not buy urban fantasy anthologies anymore because most of them - like this one - are an overpriced jumble of seemingly cast-off chapters from paranormal or urban fantasy series. Some well-known author or editor has some time to spare in between series' installments and is asked to use his or her name for a speedy publication of left-over ideas and writing exercises. Reading this collection especially feels like watching the bonus material of some blockbuster on DVD or like reading a few ...more
Anastasiaadamov
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, tbr-jar-draw
There were all together thirteen stories in this collection and what made me squeal was a dedication before the stories in the book. This gave me some extra enthusiasm for reading the stories. I went and wrote a few thoughts on each story.
1. Dracula Night by Charlaine Harris ****

I very much enjoyed this story. It reminded me how much I loved reading Sookie Stackhouse book series. The funny and quirky dialogue was delightful. And offcourse Eric <3.

2. The Mournful Cry of Owls by Christopher Gol
Emily Seelye
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, vampires
I bought this for the Sookie Stackhouse novella. Ended up reading and liking most of them.
comfort
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bunch of well written short birthday-related vamp. stories from some great writers.
Becca Kay
I enjoyed the stories in this book, but I primarily read it for Charlaine Harris' contribution because I'm in love with Sookie Stackhouse, which I think draws a lot of readers to this selection, so I'll focus my review on that. It was a great story and exactly what I needed to hold me over while I acquired the next novel in the series. It left a lot to be desired, which isn't necessarily a strike against it because what was desired was a new novel.
Althea Ann
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
A vampire needs to kill at least once every year in order to live. But this one year, Cassandra duCharme (really?) cannot bring herself to do it.

This story would've been greatly improved by at least some hint of the reasons behind the main character's troubles - as it stands it's just an inconclusive, random-feeling episode.
Gary
May 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars really. A couple of the stories were reasonable but the majority were lacklustre and just teen vampire romance type stories. I can't recommend it to you all except to say that if you were stuck in a cabin in a snow drift and it was the only book around, well .....
Christal
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This anthology required authors to write a short story themed around vampires and their birthday (whether it be the day they were born as a human or re-born as a vampire). I've had this one sitting around for years, only bought it because it had a Cassandra story from Kelley Armstrong. And now, several years later, I unearth it and go 'Oh! A sookie stackhouse story is in here too!' and then just kept reading. It's amazing, I never thought I'd gotten so bad at shunning authors just because it eve ...more
Pam Nelson
Twilight – This was interesting Cass “forgets” to do her yearly kill, and then is late and has a hard time drinking. Wonder what that means she would revert to human? Interesting. Loved that Aaron was by her side.
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dracula Night is book 4.1 in the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris. In this story, Sookie receives an invitation to Dracula Night at Fangtasia. (view spoiler) ...more
Morgan Dhu
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Many Bloody Returns, edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Keiner, is a vampire anthology with a twist. The theme that ties them all together is the idea of birthdays - birthday parties, birthday gifts, public or private ways of commemorating birthdays.

I picked this anthology up because it had a Henry Fitzroy story by Tanya Huff (Blood Wrapped, in which Henry and Tony hunt monsters and debate what to give Vicky for her 40th) and a Garnet Lacey story by Tate Halloway aka Lyda Morehouse (Fire
Mo
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it
This anthology is dedicated to Joss Whedon. = )

Dracula Night by Charlaine Harris - enjoyed the Sookie tale

The Mournful Cry of Owls by Christopher Golden - odd story with a uniquely interesting concept that didn't make as much sense as it could have

I Was a Teenage Vampire by Bill Crider - boring and seemingly pointless

Twilight by Kelley Armstrong - interesting twist to vampire lore, enjoyable read, makes me want to read her novels

It's My Birthday, Too by Jim Butcher - enjoyable Dresden tale with
Elizabeth
Oct 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of any of the authors featured, urban fantasy fans
This was a great mix of authors, each of whom had their own take on the vampire mythos. Of course, my favorites were the stories featuring familiar chararacters, like Charlaine Harris' Sookie story, "Dracula Night," and Jim Butcher's "It's My Birthday, Too." I also found a few new authors, as well. I definitely plan to check out Tanya Huff's Smoke series, since I really enjoyed the the interaction of the characters in her offering in the anthology, as well as Tate Halloway and Jeanne C. Stein, a ...more
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
2 Stars:
Fun short stories staring some of our favorite characters. Very entertaining.

I didn’t like the book. However, the characters were borderline from unlikable to a few exceptions the plot was a bit poor. The writing was poor at worst and bad at best. I developed some interest in the book but not enough to sustain me. If part of a series, at least one thing peeked my interest to continue. Even though the plot was uninteresting, not original or unique in any way and contained an overload of
JackieB
I've wanted to "try out" some of the authors in this colletion of short stories and I thought this would be a good way to do it. There were no stories which I didn't like but I had come across two in other anthologies. I'll probably not read any more of some of the authors included in this, but that's just due to personal taste and not a refl;ection of the quality of their writing. I did think there was a slightly odd balance of stories though. The majority appeared to be about vampires in one f ...more
Jessica
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I liked about half of the stories in this collection of short stories. The ones that really stick out in my mind as ones that were really enjoyable are: It's My Birthday, Too by Jim Butcher, Grave-Robbed by P.N. Elrod, and The First Day of the Rest of Your Life by Rachel Caine. I also liked, Dracula Night by Charlaine Harris and I Was a Teenage Vampire by Bill Crider but they weren't so good that I would seek out more stories by them. The rest were just "ok" or down right bad.

The narrator's wer
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Feb 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance fans,Urban Fantasy fans, Kim Harrison fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: other anthologies
This is what I've finished so far in this anthology.

The Mournful Cry of Owls(novelette)~ by Christopher Golden
Now this was just interesting. I've never read anything by this author, so I'm getting my toes wet with this novelette. I like his pacing and descriptions of the story.

It's My Birthday, Too(Dresden Files 9.2)~ by Jim Butcher
First of all I'm biased. I love Butcher's work. So now that I got that fangirling out of the way. There's a birthday, and guess who has to work?

I Was A Teenage Vampi
Jessie Harrell
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I found this collection of short stories fun and easy to read. I could finish most in about 1/2 hour, which made them perfect for the gym or pre-bed. Never up too late turning pages b/c I couldn't stop in the middle of what I was reading. Not all of the stories are created equal, of course, but I enjoyed the variety of different takes on the 2 common themes of vampires and birthdays.
Kate
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I only read the section by Charlaine Harris, to be quite honest. I didn't really want to dig into other "vampire" authors until I've maybe read more of their stuff. And I was semi disappointed that each chapter was so short, I think less authors with longer short stories would have been more enjoyable.
Ricki
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This anthology contains 14 stories from famous authors that mix vampires and birthdays. Some of my favorite stories were the funny ones, such as "I Was a Teenage Vampire" by Bill Crider, and the mystery ones, such as "Grave-Robbed" by P. N. Elrod. Of course, I really enjoyed the funny mystery "How Stella Got Her Grave Back" by Toni L. P. Kelner, which was the perfect ending to the collection.
Kelley Armstrong 2 13 Nov 23, 2012 07:05PM
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Bite (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #5.1; Undead, #2.5; Mageverse, #1.5)
  • Mean Streets
  • Adventurer (Otherworld Stories, #5.1)
  • Dates from Hell
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • By Blood We Live
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Vampire Files (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Bloodlist (Vampire Files, #1)
  • Lifeblood (Vampire Files, #2)
  • Bloodcircle (Vampire Files, #3)
  • Art in the Blood (Vampire Files, #4)
  • Fire in the Blood (Vampire Files, #5)
  • Blood on the Water (Vampire Files, #6)
  • A Chill in the Blood (Vampire Files, #7)
  • The Dark Sleep (Vampire Files, #8)
  • Lady Crymsyn (Vampire Files, #9)
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)
“Any time I’m not shooting my mouth off to a clichéd, two-bit creature of the night like you, it’s because I’m up to something.” 50 likes
“Never touch my brother on his fucking birthday.” 24 likes