Romance Audiobooks discussion

Newsworthy to Audio Fans > Scribd Adds Audio Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moriah (last edited Nov 06, 2014 03:26PM) (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Scribd has added approximately 30,000 audio books to their site. For those note familiar with Scribd, you pay a monthly subscription ($8.99) and can read/listen to unlimited audios. I haven't looked into the details or looked to see which audios have been added, but it is an interesting development.

Note - It looks like Harper Collins titles are included.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 37 comments I'm finding several audio books by some of my fav authors. They have all genres - something for everyone. Also, Harlequin has teamed up with Scribe offering a 3 month free coupon through Oct. 2015 that you can access the code for through the link below:

http://harlequinblog.com/2014/10/fall...

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I was just about to post this. It is so worth the $8.99 subscription fee to have both ebooks and audiobooks.

message 4: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY Lauren wrote: "I was just about to post this. It is so worth the $8.99 subscription fee to have both ebooks and audiobooks."

I did subscribe earlier but cancelled as soon as I realized I couldn't transfer the audiobooks to my iPhone. But I'm still waiting for Scribd to confirm this. I never listen to audiobooks or read ebooks on my PC.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) ElaineY wrote: "I did subscribe earlier but cancelled as soon as I realized I couldn't transfer the audiobooks to my iPhone. But I'm still waiting for Scribd to confirm this. I never listen to audiobooks or read ebooks on my PC. "

Can't you listen through the Scribd app?

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Has anyone used the iphone app to listen to audios through Scribd? Their advertisements say any device...I don't want to subscribe if we cannot listen on iphone.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Has anyone used the iphone app to listen to audios through Scribd? Their advertisements say any device...I don't want to subscribe if we cannot listen on iphone.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Dawn wrote: "Has anyone used the iphone app to listen to audios through Scribd? Their advertisements say any device...I don't want to subscribe if we cannot listen on iphone."

OK. I looked it up and according to this The Verge article you will be able to listen on iOS once they update their app. It seems that the Android and Kindle Fire apps have already updated and the iOS app is in the works.

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Ok. So for now, it would just be books, since I listen exclusively on my izpad or iPhone. Thank you Lauren.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Ok. So for now, it would just be books, since I listen exclusively on my iPad or iPhone. Thank you Lauren.

message 11: by ⚓ Basil ⚓ (new)

⚓ Basil ⚓ Lauren wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Has anyone used the iphone app to listen to audios through Scribd? Their advertisements say any device...I don't want to subscribe if we cannot listen on iphone."

OK. I looked it up ..."

Neither my Android or Fire apps have been updated to allow the audiobooks.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Dawn wrote: "Ok. So for now, it would just be books, since I listen exclusively on my izpad or iPhone. Thank you Lauren."

Sure thing. I'll post back when the app gets updated and I'm checking now on my Samsung tablet if it works (have to charge it up first though).

message 13: by ⚓ Basil ⚓ (new)

⚓ Basil ⚓ I was able to update the app on my Android and now have the audio on my phone. For the Fire, I tried to update the app and it doesn't have audio still. Maybe it hasn't rolled out yet.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 37 comments I contacted Scribd about the app not updating on Kindle Fire and they told me it should be working today. It is already working on Android.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i don't know if this is true - but someone mentioned this was streaming, not downloadable - so if you dont' have unlimited internet, then you could easily exceed your data, if listening in a non-wireless area (using 3g)

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana (dnneal) | 71 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I'm finding several audio books by some of my fav authors. They have all genres - something for everyone. Also, Harlequin has teamed up with Scribe offering a 3 month free coupon through Oct. 201..."

Thanks for the link to the coupon! I was just wishing I hadn't used up my free trial a few months ago! :D

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 37 comments You're most welcome, Diana! 3 free months is a great deal & gives plenty of time to make sure you want to keep it before the first monthly payment...and I like that you can cancel at any time although I don't anticipate doing that.

message 18: by Lady (new)

Lady Day Can the app stream audiobooks via wireless headset or those who have a computer can stream the books via bluetooth headsets.

message 19: by ⚓ Basil ⚓ (new)

⚓ Basil ⚓ Dee wrote: "i don't know if this is true - but someone mentioned this was streaming, not downloadable - so if you dont' have unlimited internet, then you could easily exceed your data, if listening in a non-wi..."

I was able to download an audiobook (two, actually Jet (Marked Men, #2) by Jay Crownover and Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews ) to my phone over wireless and then listen to the playback when I had no wifi or even data signal.

message 20: by ElaineY (last edited Nov 07, 2014 03:28PM) (new)

ElaineY ☂⋰Basil⋱☂ wrote: "Dee wrote: "i don't know if this is true - but someone mentioned this was streaming, not downloadable - so if you dont' have unlimited internet, then you could easily exceed your data, if listening..."

Here's Scribd's reply to my query:

Alison (Support Desk)
Nov 07 10:06 AM

Thanks for reaching out to us!

We're very sorry that audiobooks haven't been made available to you yet on the iPhone. We were so excited to get audiobooks out to the public that we made it available as soon as we could across as many platforms as possible. Unfortunately, Apple's app approval process takes a little longer than Android's, but we're doing everything we can to release it ASAP. We'll send you an update as soon as we have confirmation that the app has gone live.

I've canceled the subscription to be sure you're not charge and so that when the iOS app is available you can resubscribe and enjoy the full free trial with audiobooks available.

Thank you so much for your patience. I'll let you know when I have good news.

Have a great rest of your week!

Best regards,
Alison M
Scribd, Inc.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments ☂⋰Basil⋱☂ wrote: "Dee wrote: "i don't know if this is true - but someone mentioned this was streaming, not downloadable - so if you dont' have unlimited internet, then you could easily exceed your data, if listening..."

that's good - i saw several people in another thread who didn't have that luck

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Wow, that is a pretty responsive support team. I haven't seen customer service responses like that in a long time.

message 23: by Eleighna (new)

Eleighna | 50 comments This is awesome! Thank you so much :)

message 24: by Eleighna (new)

Eleighna | 50 comments ☂⋰Basil⋱☂ wrote: "Dee wrote: "i don't know if this is true - but someone mentioned this was streaming, not downloadable - so if you dont' have unlimited internet, then you could easily exceed your data, if listening..."

I did the same thing on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet - downloaded over wifi and listened without having to use a wifi or data connection since it was already on my device

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments I sent them an e-mail this morning about the iphone app update...I got a similar response to ElaineY, but they added an extra week onto my 90 trial period

message 26: by ⚓ Basil ⚓ (new)

⚓ Basil ⚓ My Kindle app updated last night and the audio worked as streaming. I didn't try to download on the Kindle yet. It didn't sync my spot with my phone, but I had bookmarked my place on my phone and the bookmark was on my kindle app so I was able to jump to where I stopped. This might be because I had listened offline on my phone. Who knows? I'm sure there are still a couple of bugs to work out.

message 27: by Susie Q (new)

Susie Q | 11 comments ☂⋰Basil⋱☂ wrote: "Dee wrote: "i don't know if this is true - but someone mentioned this was streaming, not downloadable - so if you dont' have unlimited internet, then you could easily exceed your data, if listening..."

How did you find the 2 audiobooks that you shared? I can't seem to find ANY audiobooks! Help!

message 28: by ⚓ Basil ⚓ (last edited Nov 09, 2014 06:09PM) (new)

⚓ Basil ⚓ Donna wrote: "☂⋰Basil⋱☂ wrote: "Dee wrote: "i don't know if this is true - but someone mentioned this was streaming, not downloadable - so if you dont' have unlimited internet, then you could easily exceed your ..."

Like, literally, you can't find the audiobook section or you just can't find anything interesting?

I was doing some random searches on my laptop for authors I like and the results would come up with subscription books first and the next row would be audiobooks, if they were available (they show the cover and a little sound icon to indicate it's an audiobook). See here: https://www.scribd.com/search?query=j...

Here's a link to the Romance audio section if you don't know what you want to search for and just want to browse.

https://www.scribd.com/audiobooks/Rom...

Also, there is a group for subscription services and a new section for Scribd audio, although it's still a new thread so not a lot has been added yet:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 29: by ⚓ Basil ⚓ (last edited Nov 09, 2014 06:23PM) (new)

⚓ Basil ⚓ ☂⋰Basil⋱☂ wrote: "Donna wrote: "☂⋰Basil⋱☂ wrote: "Dee wrote: "i don't know if this is true - but someone mentioned this was streaming, not downloadable - so if you dont' have unlimited internet, then you could easil..."

If you are browsing on the https://www.scribd.com/audiobooks/Rom... link, click on the blue headings to open a page with more in that category. Or scroll all the way to the bottom for a link to ALL Romance. There are similar sections for other categories like Mysteries or Non Fiction. https://www.scribd.com/audiobooks

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Donna, you have to go to "browse" then click on audiobooks.

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Oh and if you are using an Apple app, we do not have the audiobooks yet. They are waiting for the update approval.

message 32: by Susie Q (new)

Susie Q | 11 comments Dawn wrote: "Oh and if you are using an Apple app, we do not have the audiobooks yet. They are waiting for the update approval."

OK. Thanks. I use an ipod.

message 33: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments I am sooo excited about this. I will cancel my Kindle unlimited tomorrow.
My first borrow: Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) by Sarah MacLean

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments My iPhone got the update yesterday...you might want to check the updates.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Thanks Dawn! Scribd has updated on both my iPhone and iPod :0)

message 36: by Eleighna (new)

Eleighna | 50 comments Thanks!!!!

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 37 comments I am absolutely loving Scribd...I've already grabbed several audios!

message 38: by Susie Q (new)

Susie Q | 11 comments Are we able to get the audiobooks for iPod and iPhone yet?

message 39: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments Donna wrote: "Are we able to get the audiobooks for iPod and iPhone yet?"

Yes. On your iPhone, if you get the scribd app, it plays the audiobook

message 40: by Susie Q (new)

Susie Q | 11 comments OK Thanks

message 41: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments Hi all.. I have an ipod and ipodnano but I don't have an iphone. I'd like to use scribd but unless I stream everything while sitting at my computer I'm stuck. Is there anyway to download the audiobook to my computer so at least I am not constantly streaming?

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) No, you can't download it to the computer or transfer it to a device that doesn't have the app on it. You can only download and store it on the device through the app. Sorry.

message 43: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments Thanks Lauren. I guess I can't really use their service. :-(

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Ancientpeas wrote: "Thanks Lauren. I guess I can't really use their service. :-("

It is a pity that it only works through their app but I suppose that is the only way they could get it licensed :0(

message 45: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Ancientpeas - If you have an iPod Touch, you should be able to use apps via Wi-Fi. I used to do that before I had an iPhone.

message 46: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments I have an old ipod and a ipod nano. I don't know if it would work or not.

I guess I was hoping it would work for me but I don't think it will.

I'm having trouble with overdrive too. Audible seems to be the only way for me to put content on my ipod now.

message 47: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Do you have a kindle fire? I have the app on mine. It is slower and a little complicated but can be done

message 48: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments If you have a kindle fire, go online to the Scribd Installation Page. I remember it taking a bit of time and the downloads seem slow for audios but it works.

message 49: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments Sorry Dawn. I don't have a kindle. Thanks for the advise though. :-)

message 50: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Oh, well that was my only thought. Streaming does seem like the only other option if you don't have a device that can use apps.

« previous 1