Black Coffee discussion

General > Which book would you like to see on the Big Screen?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Tyler | 12 comments First of all, let me say that THE BOOK IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN THE MOVIE (lol). Nevertheless, some books are also GREAT movies. Which book would you like to see on the Big Screen? (I'll let you guess my choice!)

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela Tyler | 12 comments Wow, you have been thinking about this, too! I haven't seen all of those, but it's a great list!

message 5: by Karen Miller (new)

Karen Miller | 2 comments I think Gathering of Waters by Bernice L. McFadden would make a terrific movie. It's based on the Emmett Till tragedy in the 1950s. Gathering of Waters
Gathering of Waters by Bernice L. McFadden

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela Tyler | 12 comments Karen wrote: "I think Gathering of Waters by Bernice L. McFadden would make a terrific movie. It's based on the Emmett Till tragedy in the 1950s. Gathering of Waters
[bookcover:Gathering of Wate..."

I am actually surprised that this hasn't been made into a movie yet.

message 7: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

message 8: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 795 comments Both those were good books Lulu. I love all of Lolita Files books

message 9: by KOMET (last edited Nov 04, 2014 05:42AM) (new)

KOMET | 229 comments Some Books I Would Like to see Adapted for the Silver Screeen

1) The Moor's Account by Laila Lalami

The Moor's Account by Laila Lalami

2) The City of Strangers by Michael Russell

The City of Strangers (Stefan Gillespie, #2) by Michael Russell

3) OK, Joe by Louis Guilloux

OK, Joe by Louis Guilloux

Captures a slice of life faced by African American GIs in Europe during the Second World War - a story too often ignored or overlooked

4) Burr by the great Gore Vidal

Burr by Gore Vidal

5) Black Girl in Paris by Shay Youngblood

Black Girl in Paris by Shay Youngblood

6) Wolf Among Wolves by Hans Fallada

Wolf Among Wolves by Hans Fallada

7) I Am Livia by Phyllis T. Smith

I Am Livia by Phyllis T. Smith

8) Prey by Thomas Emson

Prey by Thomas Emson

A novel of the horror genre set in today's world in which FEMALE werewolves figure prominently.

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela Tyler | 12 comments Now I have even MORE books to add to my To Read list!

message 11: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments When I read a really good book, I almost always wonder how it would play out as a movie. Not all great books would work well on screen though.

While I think Gathering of Waters is a good book, I think it might not play out well on the screen. There are so many spiritual forces at play that it might end up like Beloved. The general public just didn't 'get it'.

Great questions Angela!

message 12: by B. P. (new)

B. P. Rinehart (ken_moten) | 32 comments Maybe a miniseries of Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison or Black Boy by Richard Wright.

message 13: by Kay Dee (new)

Kay Dee (kdf_333) | 352 comments Angela wrote: "First of all, let me say that THE BOOK IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN THE MOVIE (lol). Nevertheless, some books are also GREAT movies. Which book would you like to see on the Big Screen? (I'll let you guess..."

not necessarily. The Princess Bride and J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set: The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings made much better movies than books.

message 15: by KOMET (last edited Aug 14, 2017 07:21AM) (new)

KOMET | 229 comments Here are some novels that I believe could be adapted for the silver screen ~

1) The Wangs vs. the World

The Wangs vs. the World by Jade Chang

2) The Sympathizer

The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

3) The Hand I Fan With

The Hand I Fan With by Tina McElroy Ansa

An otherworldly love story between an African American Woman and a ghost from 1895 Georgia.

4) Standing at the Scratch Line

Standing at the Scratch Line by Guy Johnson

5) Tuesday's War

Tuesday's War by David Fiddimore

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Justice (robertjustice) Bluebird Bluebird by Attica Locke

message 17: by Elissa (new)

Elissa Matthews | 32 comments Kay Dee wrote: "Angela wrote: "First of all, let me say that THE BOOK IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN THE MOVIE (lol). Nevertheless, some books are also GREAT movies. Which book would you like to see on the Big Screen? (I'l..."

I agree with Kay, very occasionally a good director gets to the heart of the tension and drama, while the author gets lost in the words. My two top votes for movie-is-better:
- Power of One: an absolutely phenomenal movie, albeit violent, a good but not great book.
- African Queen: a great movie, a great book with a crappy ending. The movie got it right.

I love this topic - it should have its own thread:-)

message 18: by Elissa (last edited Jun 07, 2019 09:46AM) (new)

Elissa Matthews | 32 comments A book I’d really like to see made into a movie is Where the River Bends by me...
Where the River Bends by Elissa Matthews
(This post is going to get cut, isn’t it? LOL :-) )

message 19: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 229 comments I'd love to see the novel 'Miss You' made into a movie. It would be wonderful and heartwarming. :)

Miss You by Kate Eberlen

message 20: by Zadignose (new)

Zadignose | 53 comments I'm sorry to say it, but none. I want the production of movies to stop completely. Let a future generation rediscover the possibilities. Hollywood and our generation as a whole suck so bad, it's time for us to lose our privileges.

And when people do rediscover movies, four hundred years in the future, let them look forward, not back.

message 21: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 229 comments Zadignose wrote: "I'm sorry to say it, but none. I want the production of movies to stop completely. ."

That will never happen. So long as the artistic and creative impulse is strong in the heart and mind, cinema will continue to flourish across the world.

Film Noir Guide 745 Films of the Classic Era, 1940-1959 by Michael F. Keaney

message 22: by Zadignose (last edited Jun 07, 2019 10:55AM) (new)

Zadignose | 53 comments KOMET wrote: "That will never happen. So long as the artistic and creative impulse is strong in the heart and mind, cinema will continue to flourish across the world. "

I admire your optimism. I had it once. The potential of cinema is eternal and independent of our crudity and decadence, but I'm afraid the artistic impulses are not strong in heart and mind today, at least with regards to cinema and its current practitioners. Most of the artists I admired ended up despairing that the end of their art was approaching or had arrived. Some struggle to carry on even past the end days. Hollywood's rule is nearly ironclad: no art permitted. The one exception is the literal grandfather clause: you must actually be a grandfather and then you can do something different, so long as it's familiarly different... you know, do something like what you were doing in the last century if you can convince us there's still a market, but don't try to surprise us with new directions.

I know I'm being unfair in my hyperbole, and there are some hopefuls out there trying to keep the dream alive. I expect most of them to be crushed or assimilated, but who knows.

One reason I'm so harsh is because we can't move towards any kind of revolution, including an artistic one, until we recognize the need for a revolution, which necessarily means to be discontent.

Then, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai offers us this hope: "With changing times and the waning of men's capacities, one would be of suitable worth even if he put forth only slight effort." (Forgive the gendered nature of that statement, but dude was a samurai!)

More directly contrary to my own position is this quote from samurai Oukubo Douko: "...But people become imbued with the idea that the world has come to an end and no longer put forth any effort. This is a shame. There is no fault in the times."

And finally, "No matter what it is, there is nothing that cannot be done." This, of course, coming from a guy who at least half-believed he could keep fighting with his head cut off.

So, okay, let's have an arts renaissance, but personally I think it's more likely to happen in books than movies, where industry has so far vanquished art.

message 23: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 436 comments I would like to see The Sun Does Shine by Anthony Ray Hinton who served 30 years on Alabama Death for a crime he did not commit. I invited him to speak to my book club and his story is phenomenal.

message 24: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck | 1770 comments I would like to see “The Book of Harlan” by Bernice McFadden on the big screen.

message 25: by Sherring (new)

Sherring | 3 comments I agree! A year or two ago, she tweeted a video of her signing the movie rights, but I haven't seen or heard any updates since.

message 26: by Porsha (new)

Porsha Deun | 43 comments I would love to see We Are Immeasurable as a movie. It's a teen fiction, which is not my go-to genre, but this is such a good book! One of my favorite reads, honestly. A story of an unexpected young love that pulls on the heart strings. I cried for a whole day after I finished the book.