Books on the Nightstand discussion

What are you reading November 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2764 comments Mod
November???!!!! Already?
I am reading Landing It My Life on and Off the Ice by Scott Hamilton Landing It: My Life on and Off the Ice plus my book for my postal book group.

I'm listening to Thunderstruck by Erik Larson Thunderstruck in the car and Playing with the Enemy A Baseball Prodigy, World War II, and the Long Journey Home by Gary W. Moore Playing with the Enemy: A Baseball Prodigy, World War II, and the Long Journey Home on my iPad at work.

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Clark | 11 comments I'm reading Bob Ryan's sports journalism memoir Scribe: My Life in Sports, Sherrie Tucker's World War II-era Los Angeles history Dance Floor Democracy: The Social Geography of Memory at the Hollywood Canteen and Gail Godwin's Publishing: A Writer's Memoir.

message 3: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments I'm reading Bad Feminist Essays by Roxane Gay Bad Feminist: Essays and listening to the audio of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I promised myself I'd read all of Harry Potter by the time I go to Universal Florida in December as otherwise I would be the only one in my party who hadn't read all the books.

message 4: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Janet wrote: "I'm reading Bad Feminist Essays by Roxane Gay Bad Feminist: Essays and listening to the audio of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling [book:Harry Potter and the..."

Do you believe in miracles? Have you read any?

message 5: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Janet wrote: "I'm reading Bad Feminist Essays by Roxane Gay Bad Feminist: Essays and listening to the audio of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling [book:Harry Potter and the..."

OK listening to GOF,you might make it.

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Yes, I might make it. I'm on number 4 and I commute 2 hours a day.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Janet wrote: "Yes, I might make it. I'm on number 4 and I commute 2 hours a day."

The bigger question, Janet, is: Are you enjoying them?

message 8: by Janet (last edited Nov 01, 2014 11:00AM) (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Linda wrote: "Janet wrote: "Yes, I might make it. I'm on number 4 and I commute 2 hours a day."

The bigger question, Janet, is: Are you enjoying them?"

Yes but I wish I hadn't boxed myself into reading them back to back. That detracts a little from the enjoyment I think. I never have enough time. My library just added a new service called Zinio which allows me to read magazines for free so of course I spent all morning on that.

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I'm reading Still Alice, and listening to Everything I Never Told You. BOTNS and the New York Times Book Review have piqued my interest in Michael Fabar and I may pick up Under the Skin next.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Boylan | 1 comments I am reading California Station Eleven Goodhouse and Canada The Emerald Light in the Air: Stories and we'll see what else I can get around to.

message 11: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (westmetromommy) | 104 comments Right now, I'm reading Milk Glass Moon and The Language of Sisters. I'm a little disappointed with the former as it isn't really living up to the first two books in the series. The latter book is a difficult one to read--not in style, but in subject matter--but it has been on my TBR list for quite some time.

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 24 comments I'm totally involved with Bittersweet by Miranda Beverly Whittemore. To some degree, it reminds me of We Were Liars (intrigue; set among vacation homes of wealthy people, etc.) but there have been more clues of issues and problems.

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I finished Still Alice and Everything I Never Told You, which I think were 'rebound' books for me as I was still mourning a bit for Station Eleven and Fourth of July Creek.

I just, finally, started The Sparrow on audio, and Us, and am excited to give both of them my full attention.

message 14: by Rita (new)

Rita | 147 comments I'm still finishing up The Shining The Shining (The Shining #1) by Stephen King I may go right into Doctor Sleep Doctor Sleep (The Shining #2) by Stephen King afterwards

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate | 269 comments I finished The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson , The Haunting of Hill House which was my Halloween read and am now reading The Great Hurricane 1938 by Cherie Burns , The Great Hurricane :1938 for one of my book groups as well as Swann A Novel by Carol Shields , Swann by Carol Shields which Thomas from The Readers suggested for Ann, Michael and Simon to read after Booktopia Asheville. So far, both are good.

message 16: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 97 comments I'm currently listening to Me Before You. I'm about 80% through, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I may be one of the few people who isn't raving about The Bone Clocks. It isn't bad, but it isn't holding my attention. I've finished part 4. After I'm done with Me Before You, I'll start back listening to it.

On my kindle, I'm reading The Girl with All the Gifts, which is fun. Then I'm on to Station Eleven

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

message 17: by Adore (last edited Nov 04, 2014 07:37PM) (new)

Adore i've put off reading We Were Liars by E. Lockhart long enough (because maps and family trees scare me)! looking forward to this one since it seems to be a real contender in the best 2014 book race.

i'm also in the middle of rebecca solnit's essay collection: Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit and enjoying it immensely. she covers several weighty topics (the IMF, marriage equality, the silencing of women) and even includes an essay about virgina woolf. still, this may be a good choice for those who enjoyed roxane gay's essay collection.

message 18: by Erica (new)

Erica Ferencik | 15 comments Sue wrote: "I finished Still Alice and Everything I Never Told You, which I think were 'rebound' books for me as I was still mourning a bit for Station Eleven and Fourth of July ..."

Sue: How was Station Eleven?
and Adore, why do maps and family trees scare you? (i sort of lol'ed:)

message 19: by Adore (new)

Adore Erica wrote: "Sue wrote: "I finished Still Alice and Everything I Never Told You, which I think were 'rebound' books for me as I was still mourning a bit for Station Eleven and Fou..."

haha, i think i score in the 1st percentile for map reading and i don't fare much better trying to decipher family trees! it becomes very confusing to me when there are cousins, divorces/remarriages, etc. i won't even attempt big russian novels because the unusual names will just add to the confusion. :)

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments Station Eleven was superb on every level. The beautiful writing, plot, pacing, structure - all just spot on. It's a beautiful book.

Erica wrote: "Sue wrote: "I finished Still Alice and Everything I Never Told You, which I think were 'rebound' books for me as I was still mourning a bit for Station Eleven and Fou..."

message 21: by Erica (new)

Erica Ferencik | 15 comments @ Sue: how cool, i am dying for a good read. thx, will buy it.
@Adore: too funny! actually, i'm ok with maps but terrible w family relationships and instantly confused...

message 22: by Monique (new)

Monique Hubby and I are listening to I've Got Your Number, and I am going to try and finish reading Bitter Night finally. Hubby is listening to The Company, and probably won't finish it this month as it's 40 hours long. He says he'll finish reading The Saint and Frozen Heat, but I doubt he'll finish both as he's got a lot on his plate this month.

message 23: by Karen (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:14AM) (new)

Karen | 293 comments I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I just finished The Hundred-Year House by Rebecca Makkai and am fascinated. I loved the way the story is told backwards in time and I reread the first section looking for items I knew were referenced later but I didn't remember the context. Great fun.

message 25: by Erica (new)

Erica Ferencik | 15 comments Karen wrote: "I just started The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters"

let us know what you think...i adored The Little Stranger.

message 26: by Linda (new)

I started listening to Good Talk, Dad The Birds and the Bees...and Other Conversations We Forgot to Have by Bill Geist Good Talk, Dad: The Birds and the Bees...and Other Conversations We Forgot to Have. Now if only I could figure out how to use the darn iPod, I won't have to listen to chapter 3 a third time!

message 27: by Erica (new)

Erica Ferencik | 15 comments you are brave to even try!:)

message 28: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 12 comments I am struggling through The Lives of Others, by Neel Mukherjee. At page 156, I need a reason to continue. While the writing is at times breathtaking, and I'm learning about a different culture, I'm not sure I want to invest the time to finish. Can anyone help?

message 29: by Erica (new)

Erica Ferencik | 15 comments bag it. too many books out there that will blow your skirt up.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I ordinarily have several books going at a time, but over the past couple of months have been too busy editing academic titles** to read much for pleasure. (Of the half-dozen or so personal books I've finished since August, the best was Brian Jay Jones' Jim Henson: The Biography.) At the moment I'm dipping into Rich Adin's The Business of Editing and The Oxford Book of Humorous Prose when a bit of free time comes my way. Once my current manuscript is back with its publisher, I plan to go on a fun-book reading spree to make up for lost time.

**A history of medieval criminal exile for an Ivy League press, and a multi-author collection for a Dutch publisher about artists' depictions of earthquakes, floods, etc.

Jim Henson The Biography by Brian Jay Jones The Business of Editing Effective and Efficient Ways to Think, Work, and Prosper by Richard Adin The Oxford Book of Humorous Prose by Frank Muir

message 31: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Robinson (kellifrobinson) | 45 comments Books read in November: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

message 32: by Mary (new)

Mary | 21 comments Just finished Neil Gaiman's Stardust. A little more like a fairy tale than others of his that I read. Am now enjoying Louise Penny's The Long Way Home. It is a Chief Inspector Gamache mystery. It is my second of hers. I find that when I read something in the magical realism genre, I must read a normal "real" book to ground myself.

message 33: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments Erica wrote: "bag it. too many books out there that will blow your skirt up."

I wish Goodreads had a like button for comments. I would like the hell out of this.

message 35: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments Kelli wrote: "Books read in November: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer"

Gosh, I just loved that book. I still think about it and think I should reread it. But I don't really reread anything. But a wonderful book.

message 36: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments I have so much going! A Game of Thrones on audio, so that should take forever. For me, this is not a genre I like too much, so I think I'm glad I saw the TV show first. But the show is so far into the books at this point, I'm feeling a bit anxious like they can't read fast enough for me.

Also reading Mr. Mercedes and The Golem of Hollywood from the library, which may be a little too similar to be reading at the same time.

Picked up All the Light We Cannot See from my TBR shelf the other day because I needed a physical book when I was going somewhere that I couldn't have my kindle or phone. 1/2 way through, I am really enjoying it.

I was trying to read Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage and How Star Wars Conquered the Universe: The Past, Present, and Future of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise from the library, but I think those will hit the stalled or abandoned pile.

And now.. Leaving Time from my library hold list is available.

I'm out of control folks!

message 37: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Robinson (kellifrobinson) | 45 comments Victoria:

I liked All the Light We Cannot See a whole lot better than The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society although both present unique World War II stories.

message 38: by Trudy (new)

Trudy | 12 comments Thank you, Erica, for your advice. The book is going back to the library today. Are you available for consult on other areas of my life?

message 39: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I think you can apply Erica's advice to any area of life!

Trudy wrote: "Thank you, Erica, for your advice. The book is going back to the library today. Are you available for consult on other areas of my life?"

message 40: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Tracey wrote: "Erica wrote: "bag it. too many books out there that will blow your skirt up."

I wish Goodreads had a like button for comments. I would like the hell out of this."

My My

message 41: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Erica wrote: "bag it. too many books out there that will blow your skirt up."
OK? As a man I do not know what to say.

message 42: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Anybody got a question for George W.?

message 43: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 187 comments I just finished An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine and I LOVED LOVED it. It's a quiet book. But remarkable.

I'm in a bit of a quandary about what to start next. I did that thing where, despite what I believed to be careful planning, about ten of my library books came in within a week of each other. A few of them will be quick reads. But a few will have to go back (GASP!) unread.

message 44: by Adore (new)

Adore i'm currently reading The Girls from Corona del Mar The Girls from Corona del Mar by Rufi Thorpe . ann recommended this in a podcast several episodes back. enjoying it so far!

finished We Were Liars by E. Lockhart . wow wow wow! i am no sleuth because that ending left me gobsmacked (and not suboptimally). ;)

message 45: by Susanne (last edited Nov 11, 2014 04:20PM) (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 97 comments Adore wrote: "finished We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. wow wow wow! i am no sleuth because that ending left me gobsmacked (and not suboptimally). ;) "

Completely agree. I thought the first 2/3 of the book was slow and it took me a while to get into it. But it's a small book, so I thought I'd go ahead and finish it because so many people were positively talking about it. So glad I did.

message 46: by Adore (new)

Adore Susanne wrote: "Adore wrote: "finished We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. wow wow wow! i am no sleuth because that ending left me gobsmacked (and not suboptimally). ;) "

Completely agree. I thought the..."

same here! i wasn't truly sucked in until maybe page 75 or 100, then it took off! i may even give this book away as a christmas gift. i wish i could have heard her speak at booktopia. :)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I am currently reading Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television by Jerry Mander

message 48: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Julian when your done with that one please explain it to us.

message 49: by Ellen (new)

Ellen B So far this month, I've read 2 A.M. at the Cat's Pajamas by Marie-Helene Bertino, which didn't thrill me; Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things by Charles Panati; Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas; and As You Wish by Cary Elwes, which inspired me to watch the Princess Bride again after a few years.

I'm currently working on The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce #1); Station Eleven; and Seraphina, the first in a fantasy series.

Also have a large number of books waiting for me when I'm done, including We Were Liars and The Girl with All the Gifts.

« previous 1