Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Top 10 Vampire Books

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Char (new)

Char  | 14243 comments Mod
Meh...it seems to be a little bit pretentious if you ask me. Which you didn't. :)

message 3: by Traci (new)

Traci Robison | 13 comments Thanks for sharing the list, Kirsten. I'm surprised I've only read about half of them. I'm going to read Clarimonde on Project Gutenberg. How about you? Any you're planning to try?

message 4: by GeneralTHC (last edited Nov 03, 2014 01:27AM) (new)

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments Charlene wrote: "Meh...it seems to be a little bit pretentious if you ask me. Which you didn't. :)"

I agree. ;)

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments I agree with Kristen -- the list is very pretentious. Most of those novels were written over a hundred years ago.

I prefer my vampires evil and bad-ass, so my suggestions are all on the dark side. The top contender for that list would be Brian Lumley's Necroscope series, followed by Davide Wellington's series, and Guillermo del Toro's/Chuck Hogan's The Strain trilogy.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments Scott wrote: "I agree with Kristen -- the list is very pretentious. Most of those novels were written over a hundred years ago.

I prefer my vampires evil and bad-ass, so my suggestions are all on the dark side..."

I've read a couple of the David Wellington ones, they were good. Still need to dip into the Lumley and Del Toro series. Ray Garton's Live Girls is also fantastic.

message 8: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) How is I Am Legend not on this list?

message 9: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "Meh...it seems to be a little bit pretentious if you ask me. Which you didn't. :)"

Don't need to ask me.....it's way too pretentious.

message 10: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3177 comments 'Salem's Lot and Interview with the Vampire are two of my favourites.

message 12: by Simon (new)

Simon Hedge | 5 comments Seconding I Am Legend and 'Salem's Lot, and I'll add Anno Dracula!

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 31 comments I'm not so sure I'd go as far as pretentious. A lot of times when I see some of these lists it's not so much pretentious, as reflect the background of the author. Also, it's a British list. Maybe they aren't exposed to the others.

I like Carmilla and the Polidori work, but they're not as good as Dracula. I also really enjoyed The Passage by Justin Cronin, and after watching the first season of The Strain, I really want to watch it.

message 14: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 938 comments Kirsten wrote: "I'm not so sure I'd go as far as pretentious. A lot of times when I see some of these lists it's not so much pretentious, as reflect the background of the author. Also, it's a British list. Maybe t..."

I liked the Passage series as well.

message 15: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 938 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "They Thirst"

Just picked this one up.

message 16: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
I saw this list and let me tell you! the fate of Madame cabanel is hard as hell to find! I think I found it in a collection at audible but I'm not sure. It just list the authors and not the stories.
http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/The...

I've read some of these. I LOVE clairmonde!! the ones I haven't read are on my to read list.

message 17: by Char (new)

Kirsten wrote: "I'm not so sure I'd go as far as pretentious. A lot of times when I see some of these lists it's not so much pretentious, as reflect the background of the author. Also, it's a British list. Maybe t..."

Kirsten, you may be right about that.

But a list that doesn't include:

I am Legend
Salem's Lot
The Delicate Dependency
Anno Dracula
Enter, Night

is missing out on a lot of more contemporary but just as excellent vampire stories.
Thanks for sharing the list with us. It's always fun to discuss best of lists. :)

message 18: by Latasha (new)

thanks Charlene for these! i haven't even heard of the last 3 but I'm checking them out.

message 19: by Jon Recluse (last edited Nov 02, 2014 12:37PM) (new)

Charlene wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "I'm not so sure I'd go as far as pretentious. A lot of times when I see some of these lists it's not so much pretentious, as reflect the background of the author. Also, it's a Briti..."

I concur with my esteemed colleague.

message 20: by Deacon (new)

Deacon D. | 119 comments One of my favorites:

The Light at the End

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 31 comments Charlene wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "I'm not so sure I'd go as far as pretentious. A lot of times when I see some of these lists it's not so much pretentious, as reflect the background of the author. Also, it's a Briti..."

It is ... I ran across a Best Detective list that included Miss Morland from Northanger Abbey as one of the top 10. Boy, did that list stoke comment!

message 22: by Char (new)

Latasha, I would love to hear what you think of them, when you get to them. :)

And thank you, Jon!

message 23: by Char (new)

Kirsten, I'm sure that was a hot discussion, for sure!

message 24: by Char (new)

Deacon, excellent addition! :)

message 25: by Char (last edited Nov 02, 2014 12:56PM) (new)

I just read this article about Christopher Rice's picks of Halloween Reads. I noted his mother Anne is not on there. Enter, Night is at the top:
http://www.nola.com/haunted/index.ssf...

message 26: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments I say we make a Listopia here on Goodreads of our favorite Vampire books, whose down?

message 27: by Jon Recluse (new)

Again?

There must be half a dozen already.

message 28: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) This one'll be different! It'll have blackjack and hookers!

message 29: by Jon Recluse (new)

Well, that's okay, then.

message 30: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) And there won't be any Twilight jokes becauae that horse has decomposed.

message 31: by Jon Recluse (new)

Amen to that.

message 32: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Lol, I didn't think that one all the way through but Ashe is right, it'll be different. Just gotta make it stand out more and be less like the others..somehow.

message 33: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) Blackjack and hookers, man, I already covered that. We'll have cards with blood on them.

message 34: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC | 32 comments Ashe wrote: "How is I Am Legend not on this list?"

Definitely! I totally forgot about that one. For some reason, I keep associating that one with zombies, but it's definitely vampires.

message 35: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Mcgrath | 157 comments I Am Legend
Let The Right One In
Dracula

message 36: by Latasha (last edited Nov 03, 2014 06:05AM) (new)

The Vampire Lestat
Blood And Gold
The Silver Kiss < this is the one that started it all for me. I read it when I was very young and that was it. I've been in love with vampires ever since.

and I agree with Andrew, I just didn't want to repeat him.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a sad day (in my little world) when The Historian and The Moth Diaries make a Best Vampire Books list, and I Am Legend, Let the Right One In, and Salem's Lot don't.

message 38: by Char (new)

Z. wrote: "It's a sad day (in my little world) when The Historian and The Moth Diaries make a Best Vampire Books list, and I Am Legend, Let the Right One In, and Salem's Lot don't."

message 39: by Char (new)

Charlene wrote: "Z. wrote: "It's a sad day (in my little world) when The Historian and The Moth Diaries make a Best Vampire Books list, and I Am Legend, Let the Right One In, and Salem's Lot don't.""

Amen!

message 40: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) Z. wrote: "It's a sad day (in my little world) when The Historian and The Moth Diaries make a Best Vampire Books list, and I Am Legend, Let the Right One In, and Salem's Lot don't."

Oh man, how did I forget Let the Right One In. So goddamn good.

message 41: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gunst | 4 comments My favorites are salem's Lot, Let the Right One In, and Fevre Dream.

message 42: by Joanne (last edited Nov 12, 2014 10:43PM) (new)

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 81 comments 'Salems Lot is one of the best vampire books ever written.
I'll second Lumley's Necroscope series, I Am Legend and Fevre Dream and though maybe not true bloodsucking vampires, add Dan Simmons Carrion Comfort

message 43: by William (last edited Nov 13, 2014 09:11AM) (new)

William (williemeikle) For What it's worth...

Dracula - Bram Stoker
I am Legend - Richard Matheson
Vampire Tapestry - Suzie McKee Charnass
Fevre Dream - George R R Martin
Salem's Lot - Stephen King
The Hunger - Whitley Streiber
Interview With the Vampire - Anne Rice
Anno Dracula - Kim Newman
The Light at the End - Skipp and Spector
Vampyrric - Simon Clark

Bonus entry at #11 - They Thirst

message 44: by Char (new)

William wrote: "For What it's worth...

Dracula - Bram Stoker
I am Legend - Richard Matheson
Vampire Tapestry - Suzie McKee Charnass
Fevre Dream - George R R Martin
Salem's Lot - Stephen King
The Hunger - Whitley ..."

Now that's a list!

message 45: by G.B. (new)

G.B. Lindsey (gblindsey) | 9 comments I really enjoyed Vampire$ by John Steakley. Refreshing!

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma | 3 comments Interview - Anne Rice, Salem's Lot - Stephen King, Dracula - Bram Stoker, and Let The Right One In - John Ajvide

message 47: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Here are a few no one has mentioned yet which I think are deserving of, if not a place on the top ten list, then at least an honorable mention:

The Golden (Winner of the 1994 Locus Award for best horror novel.)
Lost Souls (The novel that brought author Poppy Z. Brite to the attention of many in the horror community.)
Some of Your Blood (A different, and unique, vampire novel.)
Fledgling (Often described as 'more than a vampire novel'.)
Doctors Wear Scarlet (Presents Greece, rather than Transylvania, as the ancestral home of the vampire.)
Bloodsucking Fiends (A personal favorite.)
Children of the Night (Dan Simmon's vampire novel.)
Blood Games (Considered one of the best of the Saint-Germain novels; think 'I, Claudius' with a vampire in the role.)
Sunglasses After Dark (A progenitor in the urban fantasy genre.)
Suckers (Darkly humorous.)

message 48: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I Am Legend
The Passage
Let the Right One In
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
The Strain
'Salem's Lot