Restricted Section Book Club discussion

Introduction > Book Club Introduction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Horner (kristinahorner) | 111 comments Mod
Welcome to the Restricted Section Book Club!
I will preface this by saying nothing is restricted and I hope you all have a great time being part of this group - you don't need a note signed by a teacher to hang out here!

So I've never run a book club before, and we're all going to be learning together. If you have any ideas or suggestions for things we could do together, books we should read, how to discuss them, anything at all - please let a comment here and let me know!

My ideas so far are to hold a poll once a month where we pick the next month's book. Then we're all read it (or reread it, if you've already read it) and start discussion threads to talk about it together.

I'll also possibly host a few smaller readathons and other fun events if we like the idea.

So join in! Write posts! Make friends! And most of all, have fun. :)

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (bookzlover) I'm excited! I've been reading a lot more recently, and I'm reaching the end of books I have planned to read soon so some new suggestions will be great. When will the first book be announced?

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) | 14 comments I am excited to join such a new book club. I have just recently gotten involved in the whole book loving community both here on Goodreads and on YouTube. I even created my own book tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/users/TheLitCave. I would love for us to start out the book club with a great series like The Throne of Glass series or The Infernal Devices.

message 4: by Kristina (last edited Oct 29, 2014 10:36AM) (new)

I think we're probably going to start somewhat small since our first month of being a club is also NaNoWriMo... there's currently a poll for picking our first book but I'll be taking suggestions for December!

Also, I will be announcing the book on 10/31!

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) | 14 comments Sounds great! Thanks for starting this Kristina! PS: I really enjoy ALL of your videos, but especially the book ones.

message 6: by Kristina (new)

Thank you, that's so kind! I am very excited to get to know many of you better over here! :D

message 7: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne West | 1 comments This is a great idea Kristina! I've been taking a lot of suggestions from your book videos and it's always easier to read when other people are reading the same thing. So I'm excited for the discussions! I'll be honest I wasn't really planning on reading during November but maybe you all will motivate me. I'll try :)

message 8: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Hernandez | 2 comments I am so excited for this book club! I've been reading a lot more, but now that I'm out of school I don't have as many people to talk about books with. I'm excited for discussions!

message 9: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Franco (timmywestside) Man, my to-read pile was already getting pretty high (in a figurative sense since a lot of my books are digital now), but I couldn't resist the urge to join this book club. I have been part of the Sword and Laser book club on Goodreads for about 3 years now, I don't know if that'll help but I'm willing to try wherever I can! I can't wait until we start!

PS, so apparently we have a few mutual friends IRL…

message 10: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (wandsandwaterfalls) | 2 comments Ah I'm so excited! I have to admit I've fallen a little out of reading lately, I think this'll be just the push I need to get back into it!

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 3 comments This club came at the perfect time! I've been browsing Goodreads for a book club to join, but none of them really suited me. Then lo and behold, Kristina starts a cool new book club. Perfect! Can't wait to read and discuss with everyone here :)

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Owens (positivelyjenna) Kristina this is so exciting!

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments I'm so excited for this!!! I just recently started a BookTube channel and I've been looking for book clubs to join so that I have a motivation to read certain books. I love book clubs and I don't really have any opportunity to participate in any book clubs. I love you and your videos and I'm so excited to start reading the books we choose

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire Mckenna (claireemckenna) | 3 comments I'm so excited for this. I've been trying to make an effort to read for pleasure more now that I have more free time, and having an awesome group to discuss books with will be great.

message 15: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Schluter | 1 comments So excited to be here Kristina :) love your book vids we have alot of the same tastes which is cool! Good luck NaNoWriMo's :) its gonna be a long but great month!

message 16: by Dilyana (new)

Dilyana | 2 comments So this is my first book club and i can't wait to start making friends, since i don't really have any GR friends i to talk to. I really hope this will be a fun experience and i will get to read more awesome books with you guys :D Thanks Kristina (love ur vids) <3

message 17: by Bianca (new)

Bianca | 3 comments I've never been part of a book club before, exciting!! I love this idea :)

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Nicholas | 3 comments I love book clubs, it's so satisfying being able to read a book and discuss all your feelings and ideas with other people. I can't wait to see what our first book is!

message 19: by Annelie (new)

Annelie I'm so lolling forward to all of this -have never before participated in a book club or a book community!

message 20: by Annalisse (new)

Annalisse (hopefulreads) | 1 comments Totally looking forward to this! I love getting and giving book recommendations. I'm excited for the discussions too!

message 21: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn (aislinnw) I'm really excited for this book club! I've never participated in a book club before but all of the books in the November poll look really interesting. I'm looking forward to getting started and chatting with everyone!

message 22: by Jez (new)

Jez (glejecomics) | 4 comments Yay!

message 23: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments Mandatory pre-read: 1,700 word Umbridge Halloween story ;)

message 24: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments Mandatory pre-read: 1,700 word Umbridge Halloween story ;)

message 25: by Annelie (new)

Annelie Mat wrote: "Mandatory pre-read: 1,700 word Umbridge Halloween story ;)"
Thanks for reminding me, is it up yet?

message 26: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments Ya it's ok. We knew most of it already :) but hey I'm glad to have anything!!! JK can just keep on throwing us more bones everyday :p

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy C (amy_c_books) | 20 comments So excited about joining a book club and making new friends and reading and....the list goes on :)

message 28: by Finbarr (new)

Finbarr (fionnbharr) | 10 comments This is my first book club: I hope I'm not to old to join at 37! I'm looking forward to getting involved.

message 29: by Jack (last edited Nov 01, 2014 06:56AM) (new)

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments Finbarr wrote: "This is my first book club: I hope I'm not to old to join at 37! I'm looking forward to getting involved."

And here I thought I was feeling too old at 25. Most YouTube audiences seem to be between 15 and 21. :)

Your not too old, by the way. At least not to me. No age limit on reading.

message 30: by Finbarr (new)

Finbarr (fionnbharr) | 10 comments Debbie wrote: "Finbarr wrote: "This is my first book club: I hope I'm not to old to join at 37! I'm looking forward to getting involved."

And here I thought I was feeling too old at 25. Most YouTube audiences se..."

Thanks Debbie! I'll try to keep up with you young people!

It is always in season for old men to learn.
- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

message 31: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbyzinger) | 15 comments Yeah! So stoked about this book club! This is my first one I really want to commit to - mostly because I feel like the books are a lot closer to my tastes than other book clubs I've seen. Woo!

message 32: by Kristina (new)

Don't worry guys, I'm 26 and I'm leading this book club, so you're not alone. :)

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rayshellkay) | 1 comments I've never joined a book club before! I've been slacking on reading this past year or so since I've started college, so hopefully this motivates me to get back into it! :)

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (crystaltokyos) Hello, all! I'm Shannon! Just taking the time to introduce myself. :) I love the book club name, btw.

message 35: by Kristina (new)

Thanks, Shannon! I spent a LONG TIME trying to think of a good one - then this just hit me!

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) | 14 comments Bah! Age doesn't matter at all. Love of books, respect for others, kindness and eagerness to meet and grow with new people. These are important things.

message 37: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (crystaltokyos) Kristina wrote: "Thanks, Shannon! I spent a LONG TIME trying to think of a good one - then this just hit me!"

It really is a perfect name! Happy you thought of it.

message 38: by Ariana (new)

Ariana (mellowbooks) hello everyone!
I am new to this sort of thing, but I feel very excited to be part of it!
Looking forward to read next month«s book.
hope you re all having fun!

message 39: by Jena (new)

Jena (thefictionkitten) | 3 comments I really can't remember I posted something. Hello all! I'm Jena and I am obsessed with writing, reading, and Job Hunters! I am excited to be here and see what everyone is up to?

message 40: by Monique (new)

Monique | 22 comments Could we nominate for January?? December is a very busy month and I want to organise getting a copy of the book before the holidays

message 41: by Bren (new)

Bren (hyperfocus) | 2 comments Hello everybody! I'm so excited to be part of a book club now that I"ve started a booktube channel as well (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0FH...). Trying really hard to get my hands on the currently-reading book, but might have to wait until next month's book.

message 42: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Deliz (ivydeliz) | 9 comments Hi all! I'm iVy (pronounced Evie) from Puerto Rico, living in California. I love and work in the space industry so you'll see me reading tons of astronaut books and sci-fi.

I used to only read non-fiction, which is super interesting but it's so taxing and then I discovered dystopia and sci-fi YA books (I have a sweet spot for YA dystopias in space) and I can't stop reading them. My faves are Lunar Chronicles (I LOVE Cress -- I mean Rapunzel is a programmer stuck on orbit? yes please!), Divergent, The Hunger Games (of course), Partials and Ready Player One.

message 43: by Alyssa (last edited Dec 18, 2014 02:50PM) (new)

Alyssa Powers Hello all! My name is Alyssa and I am thrilled to be apart of a book club!! I've been searching around for one and finally this popped up. :) I hope to meet plenty of bookish people, mostly because I don't have any bookish friends and my cat doesn't necessarily fangirl with me. ;)

message 44: by Megmar (new)

Megmar Hi all! I've been following Kristina's youtube channel for a while (hi there, Kristina, big fan!) but never actually tried to join into any of the fun... I used to read a lot as a kid but college kind of got in my way, unfortunately. I'm excited to get into this book club with the new year!

message 45: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (heyjennnie) | 1 comments Hey, It's Jenn! and I'm running of books to reads (even if my tbr is just huge) and joining groups might help me and meeting new people is just great :)

I've been reading YA and I really want to get into Classic and, of course, failing but I try my best :)

message 46: by Alice (new)

Alice (girlofyarn) Hi everyone! My name is Alice and I'm finally diving into this group now that all of the holiday craziness is over. I'm excited to have some new people to read and talk about books with. :)

message 47: by Vanya (new)

Vanya | 3 comments Finally I'm posting my first message here haha, took me way to long. Anyway, my name's Vanya Boon, 20 years old, psychology student. I live in the Netherlands but I almost always read in English. I'm planning on finishing all the TBR books in my bookcase, I've got way to many Stephen King books laying around. I'll probably won't be reading the book that's chosen each month but do my own thing. Hope that's okay.

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments hey ! my name is Emily I'm 17 :) my new years resolution was to read more, I'm so excited to be in a group !! PS kristina I love your videos :)

message 49: by Kayla Rayne (new)

Kayla Rayne (kaylarayne) Hey everyone! I am not in anyway new to being a book lover, but I am new to being a social book lover. I have never been one to talk with others about books since not many people in my life share my passion for literature. I am super excited to start being more social and posting more book reviews, rating books, and getting recommendations from others! Feel free to add me and follow what I'm reading outside of the group.

message 50: by April Sarah (new)

April Sarah | 6 comments Hi! As a book hoarding hermit I thought I should leave my cave for a bit and try and expand my reading haul. I was on goodreads way back when it first started but lost track of things. I love the new features they have and can't wait to start in with this group (and getting my books cataloged). Lets do this!

« previous 1