Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive (Tournaments) > Elite Eight - Pair 2 - LGBT (SS - P5) vs Native American (SS - P7)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Winner Pair 5 - LGBT vs Winner Pair 7 - Native American

message 2: by Dee (last edited Oct 27, 2014 05:47PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Members
Roger
Cathy
Sassafrass
Tabs
Ezi
Danielle
Grace
Elizabeth
Bethany
Sofia
Joyce
Armi
Jennifer
Katie
Laurla
Liz
Ramneed
Runell
Sarah
Shannon
Vi
Tara Jo

message 3: by Roger - president of NBR United - (last edited Nov 03, 2014 04:14AM) (new)

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1228 comments Reserving my spot

LGBT: But For You by Mary Calmes
read 10/29
theme 5/5
Enjoyment 4.5/5
overall 9.5/10

Native American: Looks Over by Rose Cristo
read 11/2
Theme 5/5
enjoyment 4/5
overall 9/10

Winner LGBT

message 4: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Nov 06, 2014 07:34AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) Elite Eight
LGBT vs Native American

LGBT: Private Eye | S.E. Culpepper | 30/10/14
Theme: shelved M/M romance
Enjoyment: 4 stars

Native American: Falling Softly | Jayne Rylon | 06/11/14
Theme: blurb
Enjoyment: 3.5 stars

WINNER: LGBT
Private Eye (Liaisons #1) by S.E. Culpepper Falling Softly (Compass Girls, #4) by Jayne Rylon

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Nov 03, 2014 11:57AM) (new)

Sarah | 41 comments LGBT vs Native American

LGBT - Outcome - 4 Stars
Native American - Lending Light - 4 Stars

Winner: LGBT

Though I rated both books the same amount of stars, LGBT is a clear winner for me. Each story was great and Lending Light is a wonderful example of current Native American life, but the male/male romance factor was a big winner for me. It might be because Lending Light is a YA book, I'm not sure, all I can say is Outcome came out ahead.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 41 comments This is going to be a tough one for me. I love both categories.

message 7: by Katie (last edited Nov 14, 2014 08:03PM) (new)

Katie | 2077 comments LGBT vs. Native American

LGBT: Strength of the Wolf - 365 pages/GR - 11/4, 2 stars

Native American: Looks Over - 372 pages/GR - 11/14, 4 stars

Winner: Native American

message 8: by Sassafrass (last edited Nov 09, 2014 07:50AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3556 comments LGBT

Siren Reborn (Texas Sirens, #8) by Sophie Oak Siren Reborn (shelved MMF menage 6 times)

This was Kitten's swan song. So beautifully written, I really helped ease the heartache from the glimpses we got of her trauma in the past. She was so much stronger than I ever gave her credit for and this book really highlighted that.

The story between Cole and Mason was very good as well. I knew who the killer was, but I didn't get the whole story. That was quite a surprise. This book was focused a lot more not he story than the sex although there was some great stuff in there. The relationship and the growth was so much more important here and that was what the focus was, thankfully.

I'm a sucker for M/M/F menage, but I'm sometimes left feeling like there's someone left out of the mix. I didn't feel that here. I think that Mason and Cole were strong, Cole and Kitten, were strong, and Mason and Kitten were as well. But when the three of them were together it was almost like magic. It just fit.

And at the end, when Kitten talked to Julian right before she went to go toward the rest of her life (I don't want to give too much away), that just made me bawl like a baby! What she said was so poignant that it just brought me to tears. If anyone deserved their HEA, it was her.

I'm sad to think that this series is coming to an end. But, if it were to, I love that it was that way with Kitten and her men, as well as the others in the gang pretty well settled.

Theme: 5/5
Enjoyment: 5/5
Total: 10/10

vs

Native American

Mackenzie's Pleasure (Mackenzie Family, #3) by Linda Howard Mackenzie's Pleasure (on Popular Native American Romance Shelf:https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...)

I thought this was an exciting addition to the series. Lots of detail into the special ops that I kinda have to admit to glossing over, but the excitement and adventure was full force in this one. I thought that the romance took a back seat so that detracted from my enjoyment a bit. But, what romance there was very sensual. Zane and Barrie seemed like they couldn't be more opposite but they really were a matched pair. I wished they had had more time together to grow their relationship but it doesn't seem like they needed it. LOL

I can't wait to see what's going to happen next with the Mackenzie Clan.

Theme: 4/5
Enjoyment: 3.5/5
Total: 7.5/10

WINNER: LGBT!!!!

message 9: by Tara Bieck (last edited Nov 02, 2014 07:22AM) (new)

Tara Bieck LGBT vs. NATIVE AMERICAN

LGBT
Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1) by Tere Michaels
Read : 10/30/14
Theme : 5/5
Enjoyment : 4/5
Overall : 9/10

Native American
The Savage Heart by Diana Palmer
Read : 10/31/14
Theme : 3/5
Enjoyment : 3/5
Overall : 6/10

message 10: by Tabs (last edited Nov 11, 2014 05:36PM) (new)

Tabs The Understatement of the Year (The Ivy Years, #3) by Sarina Bowen vs Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson

LBGT: The Understatement of the Year by Sarina Bowen
Enjoyment: 5/5

Native American: Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson
Enjoyment: 4/5

Comanche Moon was a really good book. Understatement of the Year was a stellar book. LGBT Wins.

message 11: by Shannon (last edited Nov 02, 2014 09:51PM) (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1628 comments LGBT vs. Native American

LGBT: A Forbidden Rumspringa (Gay Amish Romance #1) by Keira Andrews by Kiera Andrews (10/30/14 ★★★★)

vs.

Native American: Where the World Ends by Kade Boehme by Kade Boehme (11/2/14 ★★★★)

I gave both of these 4 stars because they were well written but I did enjoy one more than the other so...

The Winner is LGBT

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Oh Shannon - I hope you like Forbidden rumspringa

message 13: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Nov 14, 2014 07:38AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Pair 2 LGBT vs. Native American

LGBT:
No Boundaries by S.E. Jakes (187 pages per GR)
Genre: ★★★★. Ex-military men, now working in the PI business etc
Enjoyment:★★★. I kind of liked it but the writing and flow of the novel was disruptive. It wasn't smooth reading.
Total: ★★★. Author needs to work on her flow a lot.

Native American: Without Reservations by J.L. Langley (268 pages per GR
Genre: ★★★★. This was a sweet and nice shifter romance, with some racial issues mixed in.
Enjoyment: ★★★★. you know, i liked this book better than My Fair Captain, which I read for the Sci-fi category. Either way, this author knows how to mix sweet with sexy!
Total:★★★★. I definitely want to continue with this series.

No Boundaries (Phoenix, Inc. #1) by S.E. Jakes Without Reservations (With or Without #1) by J.L. Langley

WINNER: Native American

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1628 comments Dee wrote: "Oh Shannon - I hope you like Forbidden rumspringa"

Me too. It looks really good so I bet I love it. If it makes me weepy...oh man, I hope it makes me weepy. :D

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Shannon wrote: "Dee wrote: "Oh Shannon - I hope you like Forbidden rumspringa"

Me too. It looks really good so I bet I love it. If it makes me weepy...oh man, I hope it makes me weepy. :D"

maybe a little bit - can't wait for the next book to come out

message 16: by Sofia (last edited Nov 05, 2014 12:50PM) (new)

Sofia Lazaridou (sofiagreycullensalvatore) | 59 comments LGBT: Dangerous Boys and Their Toy

Native American: Façade

message 17: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3360 comments World Cup of Romance Reading - Phase 3 - Elite Eight
Pair 2 LGBT vs Native American

LGBT: Double Full – Kindle Alexander
-- Genre:
-- Romance:
-- Total:

Native American: Running Barefoot – Amy Harmon
-- Genre:
-- Romance:
-- Total:

Double Full (Nice Guys, #1) by Kindle Alexander Running Barefoot by Amy Harmon

message 18: by Ramneek (last edited Oct 31, 2014 03:58AM) (new)

Ramneek | 286 comments Elite Eight - Pair 2 - LGBT (SS - P5) vs Native American (SS - P7)

Total: 0/2

LGBT: The Dream Thieves
Native American: Moon Called

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
LGBT: The Dream Thieves
Theme: /5
Enjoyement: /5
Total: /10

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs
Native American: Moon Called
Theme: /5
Enjoyement: /5
Total: /10

WINNER:

message 19: by Dawn (last edited Nov 02, 2014 02:01PM) (new)

Dawn LGBT: Fever Pitch (Love Lessons, #2) by Heidi Cullinan Fever Pitch
Theme: 5
Enjoyment: 4
Total: 9

Native American: Looks Over (Gives Light, #2) by Rose Christo Looks Over
Theme: 5
Enjoyment: 3
Total: 8

message 20: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments LGBT: No Going Home (Home, #1) by T.A. Chase
This was an ok read for me - it's a story of two people falling in love at it's simplest along with a few issues of being gay explored in a cowboy setting. The story fell a little flat for me because I couldn't quite get why Randy and Les fell for each other. It's not quite insta-lust but somehow they progressed a little too soon for me. Especially when one of them hasn't been out of the closet properly. There were a lot of cheesy dialogues which I couldn't quite believe. This book just didn't work for me that much. Theme: 5 Enjoyment: 1. Total: 3 stars

Native American: Mackenzie's Mission (Mackenzie Family, #2) by Linda Howard
LH was a auto-buy author for me. I really enjoy her older books and this wasn't an exception. I liked the first book and enjoy Joe in his own. I liked the relationship between Joe and Caroline. It read like a HQN (which I found out it is). The major conflict happens when Caroline is suspected of treason and Joe believes the suspicion. But Caroline sort of accepts him easily which did irritate me. Yet, I enjoyed this book. Theme: 3 Enjoyment: 4 Total: 3.5

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz Arias (lizzlatina) | 28 comments Hi! For this pair I will read:

For the LGBT: The Backup Boyfriend. By Jaymes, River
Finished: Nov 01. 04/05 ★★★★

For the Native American: Yellowstone Heart Song. By Henderson, Peggy L.
Finished: Nov 02. 04/05 ★★★★

WINNER: Native American

The Backup Boyfriend (The Boyfriend Chronicles, #1) by River Jaymes and Yellowstone Heart Song (Yellowstone Romance, #1) by Peggy L. Henderson

message 22: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 59 comments LGBT - Fatal Shadows by Josh Lanyon
Theme 5/5
Enjoyment 5/5

Native American - Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson
Theme 5/5
Enjoyment 5/5

Winner - Native American
I really liked both books but Comanche Moon was the best. It had to win.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1228 comments Winner Is LGBT for me details posted in message 3

message 24: by Tabs (new)

Tabs Sigh. I have to find a new NA pick now. I had to DNF my initial pick because the racial insensitivity was about to make me throw my poor kindle against a wall.

message 25: by Jojo (last edited Nov 07, 2014 02:42PM) (new)

Jojo | 1010 comments Pair 2

LGBT - Christian by Andria Large
Theme - 5/5
Enjoyment - 4/5
Total - 9/10

Native American - Comanche Heart by Catherine Anderson
Theme - 3/5
Enjoyment - 4/5
Total - 7/10

Christian (The Beck Brothers, #4) by Andria Large Comanche Heart (Comanche, #2) by Catherine Anderson

Winner - LGBT

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 41 comments Winner LGBT. Details in message #5.

message 27: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 16, 2014 05:32PM) (new)

Jennifer | 9 comments LBGT - Dangerous Boys and Their Toy
Theme:5
Enjoyment: 2
Total: 7

Native American - Propositioning Mr. Raine
Theme: 4
Enjoyment:3
Total: 7
Winner:
Slight edge due to better story: NATIVE AMERICAN

message 28: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3360 comments WINNER - LGBT

OMG this is almost a total toss-up. From a romance reader perspective, I enjoyed both books equally. They were both beautiful love stories and left me feeling warm and full and so very satisfied. But I have to pick a winner and I would have to give the edge to LGBT only because it lived up to its genre more so than the Native American. The H in Running Barefoot is half Navajo and his Native American-ness is integral to his character and the story and there was lots of Native American culture beautifully shared in the story. But he didn't have to be Native American for the story to work - he did have to be of mixed heritage in some way because his adjustment with the different cultures was important but being Navajo wasn't what made his his character so wonderful - it was how he handled the differences and his own growth that made me fall in love with him. On the other hand, Double Full was exactly what you'd expect for an M/M romance and to be fair I tried to imagine if this story could work as a straight M/F romance. I don't know that you could replicate the conflict in this book as a M/F romance because the conflict dealt with issues unique to being a gay man in the professional sports world. So for that reason, I'd have to say the LGBT was the winner of this round... by a nudge.

World Cup of Romance Reading - Phase 3 - Elite Eight
Pair 2 LGBT vs Native American

LGBT: Double Full – Kindle Alexander
-- Genre: 5
-- Romance: 4
-- Total: 4.5

Native American: Running Barefoot – Amy Harmon
-- Genre: 4
-- Romance: 4
-- Total: 4

Double Full (Nice Guys, #1) by Kindle Alexander Running Barefoot by Amy Harmon

message 29: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Nov 06, 2014 07:35AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) WINNER: LGBT
my post

message 30: by Joyce (last edited Nov 16, 2014 05:07PM) (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 717 comments Elite Eight Pair 2

Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5) by MaryJanice Davidson Dream Stalker (The Tracker #1) by Jenna Kernan

LGBT:Undead and Unpopular Dr Marc Spangler is gay
Genre: 4/5
Enjoyment:3/5
Total:7/10

Native American:Dream Stalker
Genre:5/5
Enjoyment:3.5/5
Total:8.5/10

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments Could I use a book shelved as "indian" for the Native american category?

message 32: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Lazaridou (sofiagreycullensalvatore) | 59 comments I am glad to see that LGBT is winning. I don't have any NA books left on my to read list.

message 33: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3556 comments Sofia wrote: "I am glad to see that LGBT is winning. I don't have any NA books left on my to read list."

LMAO! I've got a couple of books left in a series, but once that's done, I'm sunk.

message 34: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Lazaridou (sofiagreycullensalvatore) | 59 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Sofia wrote: "I am glad to see that LGBT is winning. I don't have any NA books left on my to read list."

LMAO! I've got a couple of books left in a series, but once that's done, I'm sunk."

Lucky you. If I hadn't promised to myself that I would read book only from my to read list I wouldn't have a problem. I don't know why I don't like NA. If the books that you have left are more than 2 then you are good.

message 35: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3556 comments Sofia wrote: "Lucky you. If I hadn't promised to myself that I would read book only from my to read list I wouldn't have a problem. I don't know why I don't like NA. If the books that you have left are more than 2 then you are good.
"

Yeah, I have two more left. The series is pretty good. they are contemporary. I am not a fan of the historical books with the "savage" who rapes and pillages. But, that's just me.

message 36: by Grace (last edited Nov 12, 2014 07:46PM) (new)

Grace | 1310 comments LGBT vs Native American

LGBT
Double Full by Kindle Alexander
5/5 Theme
3/5 Enjoyment
8/10 Total

Native American
Under the Covers by Rebecca Zanetti
2/5 Theme
3/5 Enjoyment
5/10 Total

message 37: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments WINNER: Native American Ezi's Post

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments As a reminder this round ends Nov 17 at midnight EST - I will be locking threads after that time to compile results, so make sure you have your stuff posted. Pairs *MUST* be complete in order for them to count towards the tally

message 39: by Shan ~A~ (last edited Nov 17, 2014 08:00PM) (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 979 comments LGBT:Gift of the Goddess by Denise Rossetti 11/15/14
Theme:★★★★
Enjoyment:★★★★

vs

Native American:The Bearwalker's Daughter by Beth Trissel 11/17/14
Theme:★★★★
Enjoyment:★★★★

Hard to chose, because it is a tie with the ratings but....

The Winner is... LGBT

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments LGBT:
vs
Native American:

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.