Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) Cut & Run discussion

I need help! (book recommendations needed)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alex Ok. So it seems (to me) that I read all the good books I ever came across and I simply can't find any more! Please, please, pleeeease recommend me your favourite books and series, ones that are truly amazing and that stay with you after you turned the last page! I'm going absolutely crazy with no new material to read and frankly, even reading my favourite series is getting quite boring! These books can be any genre! At this point, I'm desperate!
Thank you so much in advance!

Ashley My absolute favourites are:

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
John Rebus series by Ian Rankin
Anything by Philippa Gregory, but her Tudor series is awesome.
Heart Sick series by Chelsea Cain
The Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch (first book is The Lies of Locke Lamora)

I'd be curious regarding any other recommendations; I love series novels, but always have a hard time finding good ones as well!

Alex Ashley wrote: "My absolute favourites are:

Heart Sick series by Chelsea Cain
The..."

Thank you so much!!! I haven't heard of any of these except the Heart Sick series by Chelsea Cain which is getting dusty on my book shelf! I'm definitely going to check these out!

Shayla Mist Adrien English by Josh Lanyon is a must and
Infected by Andrea Speed. They're my absolute favorites aside from Cut&Run.
I see you've already read Psycop by Jordan Castillo Price.
LB Gregg's books are also very good - I've read a couple from the Romano and Albright series and I loved them.
J.L. Merrow has a new series, the Plumber's Mate that really reminds me of Psycop and I loved the first book. Haven't yet read the second one.
Depends what you're looking for. For instance, I love C Cardeno's series but they have nothing to do with C&R at all. Not at all the same vibe. But if you're looking for crime and mystery, there are some M/M authors that are famous for these - Josh Lanyon, obviously, Laura Baumbach, Kaje Harper...

Alex Shayla wrote: "Adrien English by Josh Lanyon is a must and
LB Gregg's books ..."

I started reading the Adrien English series by Josh Lanyon but I didn't really like it. I stopped reading it after a while but if it is actually good, I might go back and read it. I didn't really like Psycop either and didn't finish it... I have one of Laura Baumbach's books but can't remember the title. I'll definitely check out all the rest! Thank you so much!

Shayla Mist Alexis wrote: "Shayla wrote: "Adrien English by Josh Lanyon is a must and
LB..."

I actually liked the final books in Adrien English best. So, yes, I would definitely recommend you to continue. It has little romance in comparison to Cur&Run, but a lot more relationship angst because Jake is in the closet and he (view spoiler). It concentrates more on solving murder mysteries, but it's still really good when the angst starts building up.

I've been recommended Mexican Heat by Laura B. Heard it's really good. To be honest, haven't read any of her books so I can't say for sure, but I trust my friends' tastes.

Ashley Alexis wrote: "Ashley wrote: "My absolute favourites are:

Heart Sick series by C..."

The Heart Sick series are fairly quick reads, but I love the female serial killer and the main detective. If you are looking for good long series, Outlander and the John Rebus series are awesome (John Rebus is currently at 18 novels, I believe), but they are a bit heavier and time consuming.

I'm still looking for something similar to the Cut & Run series. I read the first novel in the Dangerous Ground series by Josh Lanyon, and while I liked it, I haven't gotten around to reading the rest of them.

Alex Shayla wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Shayla wrote: "Adrien English by Josh Lanyon is a must and
I see you've already read Psycop by Jordan Cast..."

I never finished Mexican Heat for some reason, it was a couple of months ago and from what I remember it was quite good. I don't know if I'll get around to finishing the Adrien English books...

Susan Here are my all time favorite series.
Special Forces series by Aleksandr Voinov.
In the Company of Shadows series by Sonny and Ais.
4 books in this series totaling about 4000 pages. They have recently completed a director's cut on the first 2 books. Both the original and director's cut are free online on their website.
Special Forces and ICOS series are dark,edgy and simple amazing!
Temptation Series by Ella Frank
Broken Pieces series by Riley Hart
A Matter of Time series by Mary Calmes
Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward
Demonica series/Lords of Deliverance series (they go together) by Larissa Ione
Hope this helps!

Carol Some of my fav Police Procedural / Mystery MM authors in no particular order are:

I have also enjoyed Josh Lanyon's Adrien English series as mentioned above.

Neil S Plakcy - Set in Hawaii, MC outed in first book, so interesting to see how he copes with everyone knowing he is gay as well as some really good mysteries set in beautiful Hawaii. Read the blurb carefully though a couple of his books are short stories of "encounters" not mysteries.
Mark Zubro - fairly hard-boiled police procedural, not romance fiction per se, but does have MC's relationship.
Rhys Ford - Enjoyable series (Dirty xxx) with an Asian twist, funning and hard-hitting at the same time.And Dorien Grey (ignore the lame MC name - Dick Hardesty - I am sure there was drink involved in that one) a standout series.

For MM romance I would recommend AM Arthur, Mary Calmes, C Cardeno, TA Chase and a new find and fav of mine Ranae Kaye.

message 11: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K Ashley wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Ashley wrote: "My absolute favourites are:

Heart S..."

I heard the Hell or High Water series by S.E. Jakes was supposed to be similar to Cut & Run. Been meaning to start it.

message 12: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K Try the Pride series by Shelly Laurenston. I love it. Shifters, sex, humor, and action.

Jules If you like shifters, Amy Lane's "Change of Heart" series is one of my all time favorites. And her "A Matter of Time" series is also one of my favorites. If you don't like shifters, read the second series because her characters are pretty much the same throughout her books, just different names! But both series, are phenomenal.

message 14: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K Jules wrote: "If you like shifters, Amy Lane's "Change of Heart" series is one of my all time favorites. And her "A Matter of Time" series is also one of my favorites. If you don't like shifters, read the secon..."

I think you mean Mary Calmes. :)

message 15: by Jules (last edited Nov 07, 2014 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jules YES! you are correct!! Silly me! I love both Mary Calmes and Amy Lane!

Susan Ashley wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Ashley wrote: "My absolute favourites are:

Heart S..."

I don't know if any series will ever measure up to Cut and Run but you may want to try out Charlie Cochet's THIRDS series. It combines military men and shifters. I really enjoyed the first 2 books in the series and the 3rd one was released today. She has several more books planned for the series. She's also very good at injecting lots of humor in her books. It's always a plus when a book can make me laugh out loud.

Ashley K wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Ashley wrote: "My absolute favourites are:

Anything by Philippa Gregory, but her Tudor series is aw..."

I have read that series as well. It is good, but I do prefer Roux's Cut and Run series. I'm mainly sticking with the Hell or High Water series because I like the characters.

Ashley Susan wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Alexis wrote: "Ashley wrote: "My absolute favourites are:

Anything by Philippa Gregory, but her Tudor series is aw..."

I agree. I feel that starting with Roux set my standards pretty high! I will certainly look into Cochet's THIRDS series! Thanks so much! Roux makes me laugh out loud, so I enjoy that humorous tales as well!

Susan Since Alexis started us on the recommendation kick, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a series like Special Forces by Aleksandr Voinov or In The Company of Shadows by Sonny and Ais.
As much as I love all my top favs, these two are unlike anything else I've ever read and stayed with me for a very long time. I read them back to back and thought my head was going to blow off. They are the only 2 series that had me wanting to throw my laptop across the room I was so pissed, crying like a baby and everything in between. An emotional roller coaster ride like I've never been on and loved every second of it!
I have yet to find anything that even remotely compares to their awesomeness.
I tried reading the Administration series by Manna Francis, but I just couldn't get into it.
Any theme is okay except MPREG, tentacles, "Daddy" stuff *EW* and, as much as I liked the love story in Rough Canvas, I really don't get into the whole BDSM thing either.
Appreciate any recommendations!

message 20: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Gray Well of course I would recommend my books... -shifty- But other than those I would say read "The Magpie Lord" By K.J. Charles.

Sarah Hi
I've just finished, Hs Salvation by JR Loveless (which is a little MM via xmen theme), All kinds of tied down by Mary Calmes (Hot Cops),Jay Walking by Jacques N Hoff ( comedy/Shifters). These are all books I've Enjoyed lately. Sarah

message 22: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Thanks guys! I'm looking up all of your recommendations! The most important thing is that I'm not bored anymore!
But I have to admit, I keep rereading the Cut & Run series over and over again. The word "addiction" is an understatement!

Monika Susan wrote: "Since Alexis started us on the recommendation kick, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a series like Special Forces by Aleksandr Voinov or In The Company of Shadows by Sonny and Ais.
(..) I have yet to find anything that even remotely compares to their awesomeness."

It will be very hard to find something like ICoS.
Maybe you will like https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

It's kinda gloomy like ICoS and complex.
I must try Special Forces. Lots of people recommend it :)

Susan Monika wrote: "Susan wrote: "Since Alexis started us on the recommendation kick, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a series like Special Forces by Aleksandr Voinov or In The Company of Shadows by Sonny an..."

Thanks for the rec! Fearless Leader sounds fantastic! It's going on my TBR list.

Shayla Mist I wanna recommend THIRDS as well. It's really good!And I just started SPECTR at th beginning of the week. Already reached the sixth book, so I strongly recommend that one as well. Made me even cry a bit, which is really rare!

message 26: by Monika (last edited Jan 10, 2015 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monika Shayla wrote: "I wanna recommend THIRDS as well. It's really good!And I just started SPECTR at th beginning of the week. Already reached the sixth book, so I strongly recommend that one as well. Made me even cry ..."

Yeah, I second that! THIRDS is great :D
Thanks for recommending this SPECTR series :)
I also recommend Daeva series :)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

EDIT: I forgot about By Degrees series! I STRONGLY recommend it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 27: by B.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.J. Brandon I have also read THIRDS. It is great and I highly recommend it.

Susan My latest obsession is Fallocaust series by Quil Carter.
Just WOW!!!!