What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction Book from the POV of multiple wolves. An older wolf with a scar?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments I remember that the book was from the POV of multiple wolves. It was a fiction book, but it wasn't fantasy, it was all on the realistic side of things. I distinctly remember there was one wolf who had a scar or some other kind of mark, it was an older wolf. May have been blind in one eye or something, I'm not too sure.

I read this a while ago, I was either in elementary school or middle school, and that was around 2006ish. I got it from the school library, so it was probably an older book. I don't remember anything about the title and I don't remember the book cover at all.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, and thank you in advance!

message 3: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Laurie wrote: "The Wolves of Paris by Daniel P. MannixThe Wolves of Paris by Daniel P. Mannix?"

Nope, that's not the one, but thank you. It didn't have anything to do with werewolves or anything like that. It also took place mostly in forest somewhere.

message 4: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments There are 2 books with this title. The book by Mannix which I listed above is NOT about werewolves.

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Laurie wrote: "There are 2 books with this title. The book by Mannix which I listed above is NOT about werewolves."

Ah, I saw the word werewolf in the description and assumed there was a supernatural element. My bad.

In any case, it's most definitely not the book I'm thinking of.

message 6: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Deanna wrote: "Laurie wrote: "There are 2 books with this title. The book by Mannix which I listed above is NOT about werewolves."

Ah, I saw the word werewolf in the description and assumed there was a supernat..."

Good luck finding your book!

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Laurie wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Laurie wrote: "There are 2 books with this title. The book by Mannix which I listed above is NOT about werewolves."

Ah, I saw the word werewolf in the description and assumed there..."

Thanks!

message 8: by Eliene (new)

Eliene | 38 comments The Sight (Sight, #1) by David Clement-Davies byDavid Clement-Davies?

I think this book has multiple wolf POVs. It's published in 2003 so it fits the timeline. And it's a book I've seen in many school libraries.

message 9: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (freemajo) | 40 comments Is it possibly Julie's Wolf Pack by Jean Craighead George? This one is told from the wolves' perspective rather than Julie's. Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3) by Jean Craighead George

message 10: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Jordan wrote: "Is it possibly Julie's Wolf Pack by Jean Craighead George? This one is told from the wolves' perspective rather than Julie's. Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3) by Jean Craighead George"

That wasn't it, but thanks :)

message 11: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments This makes me think of The Black Wolf Of Savage River: A Story of the Alaskan Wild, a book I read repeatedly as a child. The book is mainly about a wolf named Balta from early puppyhood through growing up in the pack. I do recall that one wolf, possibly Balta's mother or father?, was injured and would react violently to anyone approaching on the side where she could not see. However, this book is really old - first published in 1959 - so probably isn't it.

message 12: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments Some other possibilities:

Child of the Wolves by Elizabeth Hall Child of the Wolves

Lobo, the Wolf King of Currumpaw by Mark Steilen Lobo, the Wolf: King of Currumpaw

Legend Of The North by Paul Sullivan Legend Of The North

Or perhaps either The Call of the Wild by Jack London or White Fang by Jack London by Jack London

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Adele wrote: "This makes me think of The Black Wolf Of Savage River: A Story of the Alaskan Wild, a book I read repeatedly as a child. The book is mainly about a wolf named Balta from early puppy..."

The title doesn't sound familiar, but it's hard to be completely sure since I can't read a preview of it anywhere.

The other ones are definitely not it though, but thank you!

message 14: by Eliene (new)

Eliene | 38 comments Deanna, was it Sight?

message 15: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Eliene wrote: "Deanna, was it Sight?"

Oh, no, it wasn't. Sorry, I was sure I'd replied to your comment earlier!

message 16: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Parkinson | 1 comments It wasn't the wolves of time series by William horwood by any chance?

message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1077 comments Could it have been The Wolf King by Joseph Wharton Lippincott? Wolf King

Or maybe its sequel, Wilderness Champion? Wilderness Champion: The Story of a Great Hound

message 18: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Caroline wrote: "It wasn't the wolves of time series by William horwood by any chance?"

I don't think that's it :/ Thank you, though.

message 19: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Pamela wrote: "Could it have been The Wolf King by Joseph Wharton Lippincott? Wolf King

Or maybe its sequel, Wilderness Champion? Wilderness Champion: The Story of a Great Hound"

Pretty sure it wasn't either of those, but thank you for the suggestions :)

message 20: by Casey (new)

Casey Rae Was it possibly The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken? Part of the Wolf Chronicles?

message 21: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Casey wrote: "Was it possibly The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken? Part of the Wolf Chronicles?"

I don't think so, the story I'm remembering was told from the point of view of the wolves. It doesn't sound like that's the case with this story. Thank you, though.

message 22: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments Deanna wrote: "The title doesn't sound familiar, but it's hard to be completely sure since I can't read a preview of it anywhere. . . .
"

You can check out Black Wolf of Savage River (the subtitle must have been added later, I didn't remember it having that either) and read the whole thing online at the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/blackwolf... (a virtual library card is free)

I just did it and skimmed through the book and it is totally from the point of view of the wolves, just as I remembered. I was conflating a few things in my memory: an older male wolf goes blind and it is his mate that gets real aggressive protecting him. Also, it is Balta who gets a scar that marks him - there is a chapter called "Marked"

I have checked in the book in case only one person can have it checked out at a time.

Good luck!

message 23: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Adele wrote: "Deanna wrote: "The title doesn't sound familiar, but it's hard to be completely sure since I can't read a preview of it anywhere. . . .
"

You can check out Black Wolf of Savage River (the subtitle..."

That actually sounds promising, but the book is currently checked out. Maybe someone else checked it out already, or it takes a while to be re-listed as available after someone checks a book back in. I'll bookmark the page and check it out myself when it's available again. Thanks!

message 24: by Serena (last edited Oct 29, 2014 06:39AM) (new)

Serena | 103 comments Lone Wolf...?

message 25: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Serena wrote: "Lone Wolf...?"

Nope. I thought this was the right book a few days ago, but when I read the preview nothing was familiar about it. Thanks, though.

message 26: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Could it have been The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling? Quite different from the Disney movie version -- the first two or three stories focus on the wolves in Mowgli's pack (Akela, the pack leader, Raksha his "mother").

message 27: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Michele wrote: "Could it have been The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling? Quite different from the Disney movie version -- the first two or three stories focus on the wolves in Mowgli's pack (Akela, t..."

That's definitely not it, I would have remembered the title. But thank you :)

message 28: by Mercia (last edited Nov 06, 2014 09:58AM) (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) Deanna wrote: "Serena wrote: "Lone Wolf...?"

Nope. I thought this was the right book a few days ago, but when I read the preview nothing was familiar about it. Thanks, though."

Since reading this thread Scribd have added audiobooks to their collection including all six of Kathryn Lasky's Wolves of Beyond series. The books were published 2010-2012. In Spirit Wolf the lead wolf has a splayed paw, and another wolf has just one eye.

message 29: by J.S. (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 58 comments This list might be worth checking out:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 30: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Joanne wrote: "This list might be worth checking out:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2..."

I'll check it out, thanks!

message 31: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments Mercia wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Serena wrote: "Lone Wolf...?"

Nope. I thought this was the right book a few days ago, but when I read the preview nothing was familiar about it. Thanks, though."

Sin..."

The name Faolan does sound vaguely familiar, so I'll look into it more. Thank you!

message 32: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments Black Wolf of Savage River should now be available to read/check out on either openlibrary.org or archive.org.

message 33: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping - Deanna, have you found the right wolf book yet?

message 34: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 873 comments Could it be The Cry of the Wolf by Melvin Burgess?

message 35: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Deanna, are you still looking for this or did you find it?