The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars discussion


667 views
Popular Books and Series you will never read and why

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Autumn Let me start by saying I know this discussion is under the Fault in Our Stars, but that is only because it is a popular book, not because I'll never read it (in fact I have read it, and liked it).

What books or series have you heard good things about that you may never read or have no interest in reading and why do you feel that way?

I will never read the Pretty Little Liars Series because I just have no interest in it and I will never finish the Divergent trilogy (I read Divergent) because after the first book I really didn't care what happened to the characters.


Sarah I will never read the Mortal Instruments series because I have no interest in it. So many people have been recommending it to me but, I never felt a click with the storyline which I barely understand.


message 3: by Cecily (last edited Oct 25, 2014 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cecily I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER READ THE HARRY POTTER SERIES!!!!! I'm !) afraid that I'll compare HP to PJ(Percy Jackson). Also, I tried reading the first book, and it was too formal for me to focus on.


Elyse Harry Potter because I have no interest in wizards and that kinda stuff. It bores me. -_-


message 5: by Miranda (last edited Oct 25, 2014 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miranda Moore Hunger Games. My friend was reading it to me and I thought it sounded pretty okay. I'm just not compelled to read it on my own.


Dramapuppy I don't know. There are a lot of series that I said I would never read but then loved (Selection, Harry Potter, etc.). There are also series I gave in and tried but hated (Delirium, Twilight, etc.). So I don't want to be one of those annoying, "You have to give EVERYTHING at least a try!" people, but I don't exactly agree with vowing to never, ever, pick up a book. I mean, don't read it if you don't feel like it. But maybe pick it up for a chapter when you're bored? Don't like it? Fine. Put it down. Now at least you can hate on it without feeling uninformed and guilty.


Victoria I will probably never continue to read twilight and hush hush because omg how did those series ever found a publisher they are sooooo boring. I read twilght 1 and hush hush 1 and actually managed to go through with them wich i am pretty proud of.

Is percy jackson worth reading? I know there is a huge fanbase out there who would tell me yes but others tell me that it is for children. However, i have read harry potter (and loved it)
wich is initially ranked as a children's book. So should i give it a try?


Dramapuppy I don't know, Victoria. It's true that the PJO series is sort of juvenile. It was written for children with dyslexia so it's very basic. I enjoyed the first series. But then the next series was kind of forced. It was trying to be YA but instead of getting deeper, it just got longer.

So it might be worth a read but I believe it's overrated.


Sophie I have a short post for this discussion. I wanted to say that I will never read Percy Jackson. I know many people absolutely love the series, but I have only read about four chapters in second grade, and couldn't get into it like other books.


Loony I read Beautiful Creatures because of the movie but I after that, I have no plans in reading the entire series.

Also maybe I will never read The Vampire Academy.


Sophie And If I Stay. I barely got through it.


message 12: by LAÏ (new) - rated it 5 stars

LAÏ I would never read Fifty Shades of Grey.


Brooke I would never read Twilight, the rest of the Fallen series, or really anything related to those books because though I do like angels, I'm not much a fan of vampire or angel romance books. I just find it really boring.


Mochaspresso There are quite a few series that I will probably never finish because I didn't like the first book. Beautiful creatures. I bought the entire series on sale but the first book and the movie was so awful that I don't want to finish. I doubt that I will ever finish the hp, shiver or hush hush series either.


Bianca I would never read the selection series some people love it and some hate it but what they all have in common is the main character is annoying and am sorry but I dont have the time nor the patience to read about an annoying person.


Emily Ann I do not want to read Twilight or Hush hush...Actually I just really (really) don't like paranormal books in general.


nekku I've never started a book I didn't finish, but maybe that's because I haven't read anything I hated so much to stop reading. (Except maybe fanfiction.) I've finished books that I hate though (coughAliceInZombielandcough).

The Selection. Fallen. Hush Hush. Uglies. Delirium. Matched. Delirium. Definitely not Twilight. Beautiful Creatures. Others like Divergent and Mortal Instruments. For the last two, I've seen the movies and they just didn't click (I know the books are probably better, but nah.) I dunno. It just feels like I'd get really annoyed by them, especially the ones that fall heavily on romance and drama. I like books that feel lighter than those, I guess.


message 18: by Miranda (last edited Oct 26, 2014 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miranda Moore I'll probably never finish the Fallen series as well, I didn't like the first book at all. But there is another book by her that I am interested in.

I'll also probably never read Vampire Academy, because I'm tired of romance vampire books. Give me a vampire horror.


message 19: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Liu i read the 1st two books in the mortal instruments but after that it was just like a sluggish "i should probably finish this series but i really don't want to because every time i try to read it a little more i'm just thinking that i could be doing something way more interesting than this, like reading son of neptune the umpteenth time"

so i'm stuck at city of fallen angels


message 20: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Liu oh, and the 1st two vampire diary books were pretty good but i basically abandoned the 3rd book at ch.3 cuz it looks like rose and dimitri were going nowhere and BLOOD OF OLYMPUS JUST CAME OUT(squeal)!!!

P.S. i didn't really squeal
P.S.S. cuz i don't squeal
P.S.S.S.i just don't


Cecily Elyse wrote: "Harry Potter because I have no interest in wizards and that kinda stuff. It bores me. -_-"

I KNOW RIGHT!!


Dramapuppy If you read my rant earlier, I'm going to sound like a hypocrite, but I will NEVER read Fifty Shades of Grey. Layal, you're totally right. That thing is disturbing and it glorifies domestic abuse. Wasn't it written by a woman? That's just sad. It sucks when men are sexist but it's worse when woman are because that means they've had the idea so beaten into them that they start to believe it.


Julia I'm not sure! I don't want to say never, because you never know, I could read it someday... I've been seeing a lot of PJO and Harry Potter in the above comments...
a.) CHILDREN IS ONLY A LABEL. Books are just as enjoyable for adults, even if they are in the children's section of the bookstore. Where they're placed doesn't matter, it's what inside the book that counts! Just ask polandbananasbooks on YouTube.
b.) For those saying that "wizards aren't your thing," try Harry Potter. I may not be the MOST credible source, because I only started book four yesterday, but I am fifteen years old and I am LOVING these. It really isn't about the wizards, it's about friendship and loyalty and so many things that are so much bigger than the wizarding world. The wizard aspect is only a small detail, and their world isn't even that hard to understand.
c.) For those saying The Mortal Instruments... try reading The Infernal Devices series first, or try to just get through the first book. The first book is a lot of world-building, but if you can get through that one, they're MUCH more enjoyable, and the world is so easy to fall into!
I guess it's just the phrasing of the question I don't like. "Never" just isn't a good word... just give these books a chance before you say that they're not worth your time. I've seen people put A LOT of good books in the above comments!
(Sorry if I sounded negative, gosh... I guess I'm just defensive haha)


message 24: by Aria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aria C I will never read the tigers curse series because i have read reviews about it and I heard that the detailing is horrible and the whole plot is rushed.


message 25: by Noah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noah Czerny I will never read the Harry Potter series because I'm so terribly afraid it will not live up to its hype and I will be brutally murdered by Potter fanatics. (Pls don't do that I know you're watching.)


Sorrel I will never read the pretty little liars series because I know how it ends. I will never read the tigers curse either because like Ariauna, the reviews are awful and even the description sounds bad. And then there are loads of series that I wish I had started reading when I was younger because I know I won't enjoy them as much as I would say, five years ago.


Daring Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick. I almost didn't get through the first book.

The Fallen series by Lauren Kate. The covers are absolutely gorgeous but the first book was too boring and girl-dependent-on-boy romantic for me.

Fifty Shades of Grey because from what I have heard,it is NOT my thing at all.


Kayla I will never read The Mortal Instruments series because I saw the movie and it was really odd. I also, like Daring, have never had any interest in Fifty Shades of Grey it just sounds so ehhhhh. Pretty sure I would be scarred for life. Last but not least Beautiful Creatures because once again the movie was odd...although at the beginning the dialogue waaaaas promising. But I still don't think I would want to put the time into it.


Dramapuppy Kayla wrote: "I will never read The Mortal Instruments series because I saw the movie and it was really odd. I also, like Daring, have never had any interest in Fifty Shades of Grey it just sounds so ehhhhh. Pre..."

Don't judge books by their movies. (I mean, I'm being a hypocrite. I do it too. But it's not accurate).


Kayla GottaLoveThemBooks wrote: "I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER READ THE HARRY POTTER SERIES!!!!! I'm !) afraid that I'll compare HP to PJ(Percy Jackson). Also, I tried reading the first book, and it was too formal for me to foc..."

I would have to agree about HP. It's a cool story but something about the way its written I don't like. (Plus, I was dragged to all the movies so I already spoiled all the major plot points...BUMMER!)


Kayla Sophie wrote: "And If I Stay. I barely got through it."

I was lucky enough to make it through If I Stay but I was not nearly as lucky with the second book Where She Went. It was just kind of a drag for some reason.


Dramapuppy Kayla wrote: "Sophie wrote: "And If I Stay. I barely got through it."

I was lucky enough to make it through If I Stay but I was not nearly as lucky with the second book Where She Went. It was just kind of a dra..."


I liked If I Stay but I HATED Where She Went. I only finished it because I read it for a bookclub.


Naina I will NEVER finish the Hush, Hush series. It is just UHHHHGGGG!
I also may not read The Maze Runner series since I have heard so many mixed reviews, but I will probably eventually read it just to know what all the hype was about.


message 34: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J GottaLoveThemBooks wrote: "I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER READ THE HARRY POTTER SERIES!!!!! I'm !) afraid that I'll compare HP to PJ(Percy Jackson). Also, I tried reading the first book, and it was too formal for me to foc..."

Reading HP after Percy Jackson is actually what I did, and I like both of them. Granted, I like Harry Potter a lot better, but you should never hold back from reading a book because you're afraid you'll compare it to another. Also, if it's too formal for you, try reading it in a few years. It worked for me, but with LotR. Harry Potter was love at first sentence ;)


Loony Layal wrote: "I would never read Fifty Shades of Grey."

Me, too.


message 36: by Larisa (last edited Feb 18, 2015 09:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Larisa Fifty Shades of Grey, I mean... come on.


Catarina Alexandre I will never read the twilight saga, because I've watched one movie and it is really bad.
And I will never watch Pretty Little Liars or read its books, because I am just not interested.


Acb419 The maze runner. I loath that book and it was the worst!!!!!!!


Laura I don't think I'll ever try to read the hunger games! I know its supposed to be good but I don't really know! Can anyone give me a review of it from a critics point of view?
Also I am interested in reading Harry Potter and Percy Jackson but it seems like they are not interested in me!!! I mean I'm not the biggest fan of sci-fi!


message 40: by Izzy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy The House of Night series. I read #1 for research. It features a sexualised airhead of a protagonist who slut-shames anyone who is female. Males and herself, however, get off scot free. Despite the fact she cheats on her partners.
It teaches readers how to be the Mean Girl.

It's just awful.


message 41: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Liu Laura wrote: "I don't think I'll ever try to read the hunger games! I know its supposed to be good but I don't really know! Can anyone give me a review of it from a critics point of view?
Also I am interested i..."


1st of all, u must read all these series, starting with PJ, they are truly the best

i actually didn't read harry potter until 6th grade, partly because i enjoy watching people's expressions when i tell them that, since it is widely known and assumed that i have read virtually all the books in the library(not true, only the fiction part of the elementry school libray).

but u should definately try them. dystopian fantasy/sci-fi may not be your type, but i think u should try them all since PJ, HG, and HP are all really awesome, and PJ and HG are two of my favorite series. i've read every book in both series at least 6 times in total, the most-read being catching fire, since i have it at home and i flip through it whenever i have time(i've read it 13 times and counting)

so read them! especially PJ!!!

no pressure or anything


Morgan Lord of the rings trilogy because I have tried several times to read it but just have no interest..


message 43: by Somerandom (last edited Nov 07, 2014 05:36AM) (new)

Somerandom 50 Shades of Grey. I mean I read a couple of chapters of 50 and just felt creeped out. Not because of the sex, but because I legitimately thought the main character was like 15 and I knew she was going into BDSM with a 20 something year old guy. It just irked me. And If I Stay. Read an excerpt, didn't appeal to me.


James The two books series that I know that I will not read are 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight for different reasons. The reason why I don't want to read Twilight because I saw one of the movies and though it was really bad and I really like my vampires in books that are mushy gushy/ sparkle. The reason why I don't want to read 50 Shades of Grey because of the storyline in general. If there are other popular book series that I can explain sometime in the future, I will be happy to post in this discussion again.


Valkyrie Cain I will never read 50 shades of gray due to the content. Those things don't interst me at all.


message 46: by Will Solace (new) - added it

Will Solace Valkyrie wrote: "I will never read 50 shades of gray due to the content. Those things don't interst me at all."

I was writing this fanfic (Solangelo, no less) and Nico was raving about all the colors of blue in Will's eyes and as an author's note I wrote:

50 shades of gay.


message 47: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Liu Will Solace wrote: "Valkyrie wrote: "I will never read 50 shades of gray due to the content. Those things don't interst me at all."

I was writing this fanfic (Solangelo, no less) and Nico was raving about all the col..."


perfect


message 48: by Storm (new) - rated it 1 star

Storm Arashi Never reading the House Of Night Books again... Just... Ugh...Mary-sues and all my favorites die.

And this: Carrier of the Mark (Carrier, #1) by Leigh Fallon


Malisa I will never (like, NEVER) read Twilight. It's got the worst story line I ever heard of, and the first movie (which is the only one I watched) is just plain boring with some really bad acting. And I'm just in general against the romance genre because I think it's really dramatized, boring and pointless.


message 50: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Liu My rules for reading
- never watch a movie after i read a book
- always read the book after i watch the movie

Why?
because the book will forever, and shall always, without a doubt, be better.


« previous 1 3
back to top