Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
Group Challenges and Buddy Reads > “Buddy Read” Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers #1) by Sarah MacLean (Start Date: December 13, 2014)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Oct 23, 2014 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake, by Sarah MacLean

A lady does not smoke cheroot. She does not ride astride. She does not fence or attend duels. She does not fire a pistol, and she never gambles at a gentlemen's club.

Lady Calpurnia Hartwell has always followed the rules, rules that have left her unmarried—and more than a little unsatisfied. And so she's vowed to break the rules and live the life of pleasure she's been missing.

But to dance every dance, to steal a midnight kiss—to do those things, Callie will need a willing partner. Someone who knows everything about rule-breaking. Someone like Gabriel St. John, the Marquess of Ralston—charming and devastatingly handsome, his wicked reputation matched only by his sinful smile.

If she's not careful, she'll break the most important rule of all—the one that says that pleasure-seekers should never fall hopelessly, desperately in love.

❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿

We are planning a “Buddy Read” in December. Please join us.

We hope to eventually do the whole series.

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Dec 15, 2014 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments
Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPDQs*
December 13th Prologue-Chp.08 June
December 14th Chp.09 - Chp.17 Lisa Kay
December 15th Chp.18 - Epilogue Lisa (Aussie Girl)

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

June (ladyjune) | 630 comments Yay! Thanks for set it up Lisa Kay :)

message 4: by Ishi (new) - added it

Ishi Bhanot Hey girls :)
I just saw this thread and the book's plot and it intrigued me :D Can I also join in the BR, if it won't be a problem?

I've been trying to get in the Historical Romance genre for a long time, but the books just piled up on my To-Read .__. A BR may be good for me to start it with..:)

message 5: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Oct 26, 2014 11:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments Cause you can, Ishi. I haven't read this author before, so I hope it's a good one to introduce you to the awesomeness of Historical Romance.

message 6: by Ishi (new) - added it

Ishi Bhanot Thanks Lisa :)
I hope so too :)

June (ladyjune) | 630 comments Ishi wrote: "Hey girls :)
I just saw this thread and the book's plot and it intrigued me :D Can I also join in the BR, if it won't be a problem?

I've been trying to get in the Historical Romance genre for a lo..."

of course you can join Ishi. The more the merrier. We don't know the exact date yet, but hopefully we can get it on December.

message 8: by Ishi (new) - added it

Ishi Bhanot Thanks, June :)

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Welcome, Ishi! Glad you're joining us. :o)

message 10: by Ishi (new) - added it

Ishi Bhanot Thank you, Lisa Kay :D

Elaine I would love to read this again with you.
Let me write this down as a reminder - as long as I can remember where I put the piece of paper.

message 12: by Kristiiina (new)

Kristiiina | 11 comments What is a Buddy Read? I'm soo lost in this group! Haha. :/

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Kristiiina wrote: "What is a Buddy Read? I'm soo lost in this group! Haha. :/"

Kristiiina, "buddy reads" always vary a little, but essentially they are of a book that two or more members would like to read together (at the same time - or pretty close to it) and discuss.

Sometimes we even divide the chapters up for the daily reading and then members post DQs (Discussion Questions) to get the conversation started. A good example is HERE. DQs are strictly voluntary - both composing and deciding which to answer. It is supposed to be fun. ☺

Also, if you've already read the book, you can pop in and say "hi" at anytime, as long as you do post a spoiler before where we are in the book.

If you're lost in the group as a whole, try checking out our ~A Map to Help You Navigate Around Happily Ever After Café~ - which is our very first post in the group.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Great, Elaine. Welcome!

Elaine Lisa Kay wrote: "Great, Elaine. Welcome!"

Thanks, although I have read it before.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I haven't. Debating on whether or not to get the audio.

Elaine Lisa Kay wrote: "I haven't. Debating on whether or not to get the audio."

I'd love to get some audio but aren't they expensive?

Lauren (laurenjberman) I LOVE THIS BOOK! Can you tell I'm excited?!

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I do think they are expensive. I think I worked out once, and with a membership they average about $12.50 a piece. However, if you are a frequent buyer, you get the sales (some as low as $1.99) and a freebie or two a year.

Also, I get downloads from my libraries. I try and be good and alternate these with the ones I buy, but sometimes my challenge plans get in the way. Challenges tend to rule my life. LOL!

message 20: by Elaine (last edited Nov 24, 2014 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine Lisa Kay wrote: "I do think they are expensive. I think I worked out once, and with a membership they average about $12.50 a piece. However, if you are a frequent buyer, you get the sales (some as low as $1.99) a..."

I have Amazon Prime, so I'll take a look at the prices there first. Thanks Lisa

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Lauren wrote: "I LOVE THIS BOOK! Can you tell I'm excited?!"

I can! LOL!

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Oh! I just checked and www.scribd.com has it in both audio and eBook.

I'm new to scribd.com and I have to keep reminding myself to check there.

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Yay!

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments So, how long should we take to read this one, ladies? Three or four days? Or longer?

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Also, when are we starting this?

message 26: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June (ladyjune) | 630 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "So, how long should we take to read this one, ladies? Three or four days? Or longer?"

I think I read it on one night, LoL. Three or four should be fine. Build up tension., LoL.
Although I'm probably will be a little busy early December. If it's okay can we do it on mid Dec? But whenever you ladies ready I'm game :)

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Is the 13th or 14th good?

message 28: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June (ladyjune) | 630 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Is the 13th or 14th good?"

Yes it's fine for me :)

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Is this good for anyone else?

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments You know, I think I like all the covers on this one. Interesting.

message 31: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June (ladyjune) | 630 comments And since I'm responsible to persuade you ladies to having thus buddy read, I volunteer to do the first set for DQs :)

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments That's great, June, thanks! I think it will entail the first 1/3 or the first 1/4 of the book. I think this is an easy read, so we'll zip through it.

message 33: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June (ladyjune) | 630 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "You know, I think I like all the covers on this one. Interesting."

I love the step back, so gorgeous!

description

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 2061 comments Gorgeous is right!

message 35: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June (ladyjune) | 630 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "That's great, June, thanks! I think it will entail the first 1/3 or the first 1/4 of the book. I think this is an easy read, so we'll zip through it."

Yes it was fun and quick read for me. Let see if it can maintain its status as my favorite romance ever after reread :)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh! I just checked and www.scribd.com has it in both audio and eBook.

I'm new to scribd.com and I have to keep reminding myself to check there."

Thanks Lisa Kay. I added the audio to my library :0)

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Let's hope, June.

YW, Lauren. ☺

Elaine 13th or 14th is ok - let me write it down...lol

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments **gigglesnort**

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments I've juggling a few books at that time (doing the Tower Teams Challenge at NBRC - remember that Lisa Kay, LOL...) but I should be fine. I can do some DQ's preferably the last lot if it's okay.

I'm looking forward to reading this. My first Sarah McLean.

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Okay, I'll do the middle set and put you down for the last, Lisa.

message 42: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I'll do the breakdown later, when I get a look at the book.

message 43: by Ishi (new) - added it

Ishi Bhanot Oh. 13th is alright for me too! Let me set a reminder first :P
Can't wait for this BR :-D

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Great, Ishi!

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 2061 comments I'll try and remember to send out reminders to everyone who has commented in this thread.

message 46: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments You can send me a reminder. I've already read it but I'll reread it.

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments You're joining, Pamela? Wonderful!

message 48: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June (ladyjune) | 630 comments Hiya ladies! I want to share a good news. I just have my final oral exam for my BA thesis and it went well. I need to do some revision here and there, but I'm good to go. And after that I can tackle those shiny books on my shelf. YAY!

photo tumblr_lyf0ph4tyH1r6s66vo1_500_zps5d33b57e.gif

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments Congratulations and well done, June. Reward yourself with a book... or two.

message 50: by Elaine (last edited Dec 04, 2014 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine June wrote: "Hiya ladies! I want to share a good news. I just have my final oral exam for my BA thesis and it went well. I need to do some revision here and there, but I'm good to go. And after that I can ..."

Many congrats June and good luck on your revision :o)
Whoo!

« previous 1 3 4