Start by marking “Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)

Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  15,173 Ratings  ·  1,101 Reviews
“Lord Nicholas is a paragon of manhood. And his eyes, Dear Reader! So blue!” Pearls & Pelisses, June 1823

Since being named on of London’s “Lords to Land” by a popular ladies’ magazine, Nicholas St. John has been relentlessly pursued by every matrimony-minded female in the ton. So when an opportunity to escape fashionable society presents itself, he eagerly jumps—only t
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published October 26th 2010 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord

Auntee
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Lisa Kleypas-type romance
After starting just a wee bit slow for me, this book took off around chapter 3, when the heroine, 24-year-old Lady Isabel Townsend

Photobucket

and the hero (don't know his age, just know that he was one mighty fine physical specimen), Lord Nicholas St. John, Photobucket
met while he saved her from being run down in the streets by a team of horses in a small village in Yorkshire.

Lady Isabel is the daughter of the Earl of Reddich, a gambling, good-time-Charlie sorry excuse for a husband and father, thought of by Isabel
Laura the Highland Hussy
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited for this book. So much so, that I searched 4 stores yesterday with my 3 year old to find it a day early. I read it overnight...got hardly any sleep, which as any of you with small children know, is never fun, and it was all worth it!

This book was fabulous.

At the beginning of each chapter is a small bit from the ladies' magazine "Pearls and Pelisses," which has decided that a series of articles is in order on How to Land a Lord. Lord Nicholas St. John is given the distinct honor
Jilly
My HR kick continues...
I am so happy to find a strong female character in HR. This girl, Isabel, even has a girl-tribe, which I LOVE. I hate when a female character sees all other women as competition. It's hard enough to be a girl in this day and age. I can't even imagine how hard it was back then when they were property who died in childbirth. Ugh! And, to think that I complain about how long the microwave takes to heat up the pre-made meal that I bought. They spent their whole freaking day ma
Shawna
4 stars – Historical Romance

I'm feeling lazy about writing a full review, so I'll keep this somewhat brief. I absolutely adored Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake, and I've been anxiously awaiting this second book by MacLean. Did it wow me? Yes and no. In all fairness, this had a lot to live up to because Nine Rules...Rake was just so damn much fun and sexy, with lovable heroine Callie and yummy as all get out hero Gabriel.

Ten Ways...Lord is fun and passionate with a great story. I love
Blacky *Romance Addict*
I find that I'm in love with Sarah MacLean's writing and I won't stop untill I read all her novels :)

Like the first one in this series, this was just lovely, witty writing, great main characters!

Nick and Isabel were a great couple! Loved them :)

The story begins when a young lady escapes London to avoid a scandal, and she seeks refuge in a house in the country - Isabel's. She offers refuge to women who need it, they be married or not, ladies or not. Nick is hired by the young lady's brother (I th
Sarah MacLean
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: romance, historical, mine
Same as always...I'm a thoroughly unreliable reviewer. xo
Catherine
This book was enjoyable, but it wasn't without its problems. I still have high hopes for the third book, Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart, but this one didn't thrill me the way the first book did.

Nick seemed different than he was first presented in Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake. He seemed more charming and fun there whereas in this book he felt a little flat. I was told he was interesting and sexy, but for some reason I just didn't feel it. That's not to say I disliked
Baba
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

4.5 stars.

„So beautiful…so passionate…my very own Voluptas.“ The words, more breath than sound, sent an explosion of heat through her. “Show me.”

Photobucket

It’s witty. It’s hilarious. It’s tempting. It’s charming.

A woman’s magazine called Pearls and Pelisses has named Lord Nicholas St. John one of London’s Lord to Land. Nicholas is very good at tracking missing people. His friend, the Duke of Leighton, is missing his sister Isabel. That’s why he asks Nick to help him and he agre
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Wow! Sarah MacLean knows now to write the kinds of women I wish I were more like. If I could choose to be any one historical romance heroine, I’d be Callie from Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake , and then next I would want to be Isabel from this book, Ten Ways to be Adored When Landing a Lord.

Having to follow in the page-steps of such a fabulous first book in the series can’t be easy for any author, and I had very, very high expectations for this book, and for the most part, they were
Sans
I agree with Catherine, I was told all about how smexy and smart and blah blah blah Nicolas was, but I never actually believed it.

As for Isabel? Can I get "Slap That Bitch" for $200, Alex? She had a distinct whiff of Bella Swan about her for some reason. Perhaps because she felt all the responsibility for the entire fucking world rested squarely on her shoulders. Or perhaps it was her "I'm just a plain Jane, why should this god-like creature ever be interested in me?" attitude. Maybe it was jus
Mafi
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorei!!! Pensava que não ia gostar tanto como o primeiro mas estava enganada, este conseguiu ser tão bom quanto o anterior!

Espero que não demore muito a sair o 3º livro!

---

(..)

Depois de termos conhecido o Gabriel, desa vez tivemos a oportunidade de conhecer Nick e apesar de serem gémeos, ambos não podiam ser mas diferentes. Acho que gostei mais do Nicholas do que do Gabriel e achei interessante toda a história que este trazia sobre o seu passado.

Mais uma vez temos aqui uma lista, desta vez não
Seda
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nick'i ilk kitaptan sevmiştim zaten. Gabriel'in ikizi olmasına rağmen, ondan daha rahat daha eğlenceliydi. Bu kitapta yine eğlenceli kişiliğini tansıtıyordu. Bunun yanında korumacı, sahiplenici, meraklı olduğunu öğrendik. Nick'in, ne istediğini bilen, elde etmek için hiçbir şeyden çekinmeyen tavrını sevdim. Kitap boyunca istikrarlı ilerledi bence.

Isabel de çok güçlü, aynı zamanda kırılgan bir karakterdi. İkisinin birbirine olan duyguları, özellikle Isabel'in erkeksi halleri, evdeki kadınlarla d
Mojca
This is a perfect example of how an annoying heroine can ruin a story. Because after the (almost) perfection of Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake this story was rather a huge disappointment for me. It wasn’t the writing, style, pacing or narrative voice. Because those were to par with Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake. It really was the heroine that ruined it all for me.

And here comes the obvious comparison with the first book in this trilogy. While Callie also had a few hang-ups
Jaclyn
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m so in love with Sarah Macleans books, I can’t wait to pick up the rest of them!! Ahhhh I’m still SWOONING over Nicholas!!! Review to come!
♡Karlyn P♡
3.5 stars. A cute and simple regency romance, albeit a bit heavy on the predictable drama. MacLean can definitely write, it's just the story itself was kind of lackluster. It had a likable hero/heroine, but I couldn't fall in love with them or relate to their situations without questioning many of the holes in the story.

(view spoiler)
Ally
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-library, 02-audio
Give me a smart a$$ and independent heroine any day!

Give me the perfect hero and my life is complete!

get it done

This woman is up on her roof fixing leaks. She's surrounded herself with females in traditionally male roles, and she turns away every silly suitor her idiot of a father sends her way. What is not to love?

And Nick? Duuuuude.

Setting / Time / Genre: Yorkshire? I may have spaced that part. Regency.

Series: Oh yea. The last one for me to say I have completed the series. Can I get a shout out?

mck

Sexy tim
Dinjolina
It was a nice book.
In fact it was so nice - I dozed off right in the middle of it.
And a little bit later as well. Oh, and...there were a few minutes of the snooze in the beginning. A girl has to have her beauty sleep!

If i could give it 2.5 stars I would, since I did like it.Kind of...maybe...oh, well.

I’m not going to say that it was in any way not up to standards.
The writing was good, the characters plausible, the plot somewhat present. Still, this story, this heroine, this hero…I have met them
Sharon
Random thoughts in no particular order:
• While the protagonist, Isabel, is admirable in some ways, I find her too frustrating and irrational for my taste. Her fears are valid, but dang that girl is a bit too extra at times. Especially towards Nick.
• Nick is a sweetie honestly.
• The plot is rather boring. It has components that I thought I would enjoy when I first started it, but I’m ultimately left feeling underwhelmed.
• Good, satisfying ending though.
• Lara and Rock are awwww. I would have lik
Ronyell

Ten

After reading the first book in Sarah MacLean's “Love By Numbers” series, Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake I was practically dying to read the sequel “Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord.” Unfortunately, this novel did not seem to capture my attention like Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake and I have often found myself trying to finish this book as quickly as I can.

Ever since Nicholas St. John was named “London's Lord to Land” in a ladies' magazine, he has been avoiding al
Neftis
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Me ha gustado mucho, no tanto como el primero pero lo he disfrutado bastante. Hay un par de cosas que no me han terminado de convencer pero una historia muy bonita que se lee practicamente del tiron.
Bella Carstairs
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Otro libro maravilloso de Sarah MacLean. Me rindo a sus pies.
Completamente enamorada de su pluma, de sus libros, de sus personajes.
Isabel y Nick son maravillosos. Divertidos, pasionales, inteligentes.
Eso sí, la cabezonería de Isabel y sus miedos harán que meta la pata muchas veces y ponga en riesgo lo que con tanto celo guarda y protege: Minerva House y sus habitantes, mujeres que han huido de una cosa u otra.
Lord Nicholas St John, experto en antigüedades, hermano del Marqués de Ralston, cazador
Liriom
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75/5 💗

Me ha gustado peeero ..... reconozco que esperaba un poco mas de "salseo" para el libro de Nick 😍😘.
Milica's Bookshelf
Like it happened with the first book of this trilogy, I didn't want the story to end. And even if I couldn't read it like I usually like to do, that is, because of a 2 weeks trip with hundreds of interruptions, I enjoyed it a lot.

Here, we finally get the chance to know the charming Nicholas St.John more deeply... and deep he certainly is. Yes, he keeps this fun, sexy side of his we got to know in 'Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake', but we also discover some other, more serious, thought
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I liked this book but I didn't LOVE it like book 1. Book 1 was such a fun book that any other book in the series has a tough act to follow. I did read it, laughed alot, and enjoyed the characters. However, it felt like I've "been there, done that".

I thought about giving it 3 stars but that is really unfair. If I had never read book 1, this would have been possibly a 5 star book. I always pride myself on rating each book in a series on its own merit. So, on that note, I settled for 4 stars.
Kübra Yağmur
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Seriye, Sarah’nın yeni kitapları yolda diye devam ettim. Yoksa yedekte durmaya devam edecekti ancak güzel olmasına rağmen beklediğim keyfi alamadım.
Torzilla
Chapter three is when our heroine and hero finally meet. After reading the first chapter, which was dedicated to the dialogue between Nick and his friends, and then chapter two, which was dedicated to the dialogue between Isabel and her friends, it was a huge relief to finally see some action in this story. This is the point where the book began to pick up speed for me.

Despite my inability to connect with the characters in the first two chapters, I was constantly laughing out loud all throughout
Heather
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Nicholas and Rock are two very special men, having lived through danger and difficulties in their time in the East. Having returned to London, Nicholas is now an eligible bachelor and at the mercy of Society. Determined to get away, he’s given an opportunity to find a good friend’s sister who has disappeared. And this is where he encounters Lady Isabel, who is hiding many secrets and trying to come up with money. One of her few valuable possessions are her marble statues and due to a tumble Nich ...more
Kathy
What a disappointment. Something was missing. I didn't connect with the characters. I really like MacLean's style and I loved the previous book Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake. It was quite good. Were my expectations too high? No. If she can write Nine Rules, she certainly can write some kick butt stuff.

In this one the heroine consistently "cried out" during sex to the point where I almost, almost went back through pages to count how many times it was said. I just wanted to see how man
Mei
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Here I liked the heroine for the very same reason I didn't like Calpurnia from the previous book!

Isabel shelters and protects women in dire straits! She dedicated her life, for wrong reasons, but still!, to helping those nobdy would help. Even if she's on the brink of being thrown out from her home, she does everything to help others.

What a change from the first book where the heroine has everything and does nothing useful!

I also like Nick and Rock! Great charactes, even if Nick is too lost in h
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, audible, steamy
Again with the absurd title (that has nothing to do with the actual story). And you don't really have to read the first to enjoy this one, though the characters show up briefly. I do find it interesting that all my friends who read this had the exact same score (three stars) and said roughly the same thing—that it wasn't as good as the first in the series and suffered for the comparison.

Now I admit that I read a couple books between this and the first so maybe that's why I appreciated it more.
  • Three Nights with a Scoundrel (Stud Club, #3)
  • Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall #4)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • How to Marry a Duke (How To #1)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Ten Things I Love About You (Bevelstoke, #3)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • Unclaimed (Turner, #2)
New York Times, Washington Post & USA Today bestseller Sarah MacLean is the author of historical romance novels that have been translated into more than twenty languages, and winner of back-to-back RITA Awards for best historical romance from the Romance Writers of America.

Sarah is a leading advocate for the romance genre, speaking widely on its place at the nexus of gender and cultural studie
More about Sarah MacLean...

Love By Numbers (3 books)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
“He raked his fingers through his hair. "She doesn't need me."
Ralston smirked. "You are laboring under that mistaken impression that it is their job to need us. In my experience it is almost always the other way around.”
25 likes
“And... as long as they need me, it's easier to forget that I am alone.” 14 likes