Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > October 2019 READER Nominations

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Sep 14, 2019 06:49AM) (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2395 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for READER category for October 2019.

READER books need to be
* currently in print in either hardback or paperback (or both). Requiring a special order from a store or website counts, but not if the book is only available used.
* currently available in multiple ebook formats, from multiple vendors
* Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere.
* If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.
* Please no blatantly erotic books, as some of our members are not full adults yet.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I nominate Hospital Station (Sector General, #1) by James White Hospital Station by James White. This is currently in print as part of the omnibus Beginning Operations (Sector General, #1-3) by James White Beginning Operations.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 583 comments I’m down with that. I can’t recall if I’ve read any of the Sector General stories.

message 4: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Counting Trike’s comment as a second.

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 583 comments Officially seconded!

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Hospital Station (Sector General, #1) by James White Hospital Station by James White. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Trike.
The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. Nominated by Danielle. Awaiting seconds.

Nominations close on the 22nd.

message 8: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 339 comments I'll second The Calculating Stars as I've just picked it up on Amazon!

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. I count one second for each of the books. Rolling random numbers now.

message 10: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

The random numbers chose Hospital Station.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.