Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon - Day 1: Kickoff

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
Welcome to the second read-a-thon of 2019. The read-a-thon starts from when you wake up on Saturday, September 7 until when you go to sleep on Sunday, September 15, and the goal is to read as much as you can and to have tons of fun. It's 9 full days of books and games. Feel free to participate in as few or as many games as you like.

We’ll be posting a game every day, and there is a Team Challenge. It’s not too late to sign up for the team challenge if you want.

So let’s kick off this read-a-thon with some questions, and don’t forget to keep coming back to the Read-a-Thon folder throughout the week.

1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish?
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading?
4. Are you participating in the team challenge?
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon?

Be sure to check in to the progress thread to update us on your reading throughout the week.

message 2: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 06, 2019 06:03PM) (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Woohoo!

For Team Pie to win!! Just kidding - I don't really have any goals except to read as much as I can.
I've got about half a dozen ebooks borrowed from the library, so it would be good to knock over some of those before they are ruthlessly returned electronically!
In a lounge chair, or on my bed.
4. Are you participating in the team challenge? Yes - am co-leading Team Pie with Johanne!
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!
Oh, you know, just life! A wedding this afternoon/evening, work through the week, checking Goodreads too often.
Working together as a team to progress in our quest!

message 3: by Kristina (last edited Sep 06, 2019 07:58PM) (new)

Kristina | 235 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I would like to finish at least 4 books.

I'm halfway through The Handmaid's Tale, so I'd like to finish that. I also have 2 older Book of the Month books I'd like to read (The Last Equation of Isaac Severy and The Philosopher's Flight). My 4th book will most likely be Less.

Either at home or on the subway.

Not this time.

Work during the week, though I will try not to work late to get in more reading time! Also, I'm going to a football game on Sunday, which will be a full-day affair.

I'm looking forward to focusing on the individual challenges this time, since this will be my first read-a-thon not on a team.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2484 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read every day. Finish 3 books. Participate in games!

Finish Middlesex.

At home mostly. Maybe at my parents' house.

No.

No. This is the PERFECT week since my husband is on travel.

Finishing a few books that have been on my bookshelves for years!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2157 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read! I'd like to finish 4 books.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

At home.

Yes.

Lots of company tomorrow until Sunday noon. Work.

Reading more than I normally do.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz | 499 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read as much as possible!

I want to finish The Night Tiger & A Fatal Grace, both books that I'm already in the middle of. I'm hoping I can also start two more.

Anywhere I can fit it in.

Not this time.

Homeschooling three kids & caring for my newborn

Making reading a priority again.

message 7: by Edie (last edited Sep 07, 2019 08:07PM) (new)

Edie | 825 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? Read 2-3 books and make a dent in the ATY Fall reading challenge

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I finally made it off the hold list for Melinda Gates' The Moment of Lift Yeah!

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? In a recliner

4. Are you participating in the team challenge? Yes, part of team Cookie

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! I'm having hip surgery on Monday which will mean a couple of days when I can't read. Hope to be back to reading on Wednesday (in my recliner)

6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Interaction with Team Cookie and seeing what creative things the Mods give us a quests.

message 8: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 942 comments Yay for another read-a-thon!

Knock off a bunch of books from my plan for the year in hopes that I'll have room for non-challenge books at the end of the year.

Not really, I'm excited to finally read A Monster Calls, which was recommended to me awhile ago.

At home on the couch or while bringing order back to my house (yay audio!), also during my commute.

Yup, team cake!

Not really, just the normal day to day.

Working with the team and seeing how the quest unfolds.

message 9: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I’ve gotten a bit behind on the challenge, so a kick in the butt to get through a bit more reading than usual.

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? The God of Small Things, for sure.

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? That varies depending on kid activity. At least some while waiting at a ballet lesson.

4. Are you participating in the team challenge? Sure, will go sign up.

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! It’s the second week of school, so we aren’t quite used to the new routine yet.

6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? I usually like the group challenge the most.

message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 794 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I would like to finish at least three books.
I'm in the middle of People of the Book and it's getting really good!
Split between home and in the car/ hotel room as we are going away for a few days
Yes, Team Cake!
Going to be a bit busy on vacay early in the week but should get better.
Getting some reading done and having fun.

message 11: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Just to read as much as possible and have fun with my team

No not really. I've just started reading Unbecoming which I'm enjoying so far so I look forward to read more

At home

Yep

Just work and normal daily things

The team challenge

message 12: by Fee (new)

Fee | 89 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I'll try to read 75 pages every day, for a total of 675 pages.

I'd like to finish The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. I'm enjoying it very much but it is a very slow read.

At home

No. Even though I set myself a high reading goal, I do not know how much time I will actually have this week to read or to check-in with a group.

Two little kids who prefer to "read" picture books with me. (And it would feel like cheating to count these ones for the challenge. ;-) )

Tracking my reading progress and seeing how the others are doing with their goals and challenges.

message 13: by Samantha (last edited Sep 07, 2019 01:30AM) (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
No real goals except to read, read, read.
Trying to stay out of a reading slump, so I'm hoping whatever I pick up keeps me gripped
On the couch in my home office
Yep! Team Brownie
Just myself - I've been hovering around slump territory and seem to be only nibbling at books lately. Hoping this will give me the kick to dive back in and really read.
Having a purpose for reading besides just pleasure

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (heirloomroses) | 211 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I want to finish up a few books I've been putting off.
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I want to finish And the World Changed: Contemporary Stories by Pakistani Women.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home.
4. Are you participating in the team challenge? Yes.
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Work and moving house.
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Getting through with a few books I've wanted to read.

message 15: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read! Bake pies.

All the books.

At home

Yes! (Go team Pie!)

Well, normal stuff. Work and family, nothing out of the ordinary.

The team challenge. And reading :)

message 16: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Having fun

I just started the last book in the Neopolitan series (The Story of the Lost Child), and I am both very excited to read it, but also sad that the series is coming to an end. I probably won't finish it during the readathon though, as the audio is 16 hours.

Probably at home as well on a flight next weekend

Yes, team Pie

Busy week at work coming up. I am also going away on a weekend trip next Friday.

The team challenge

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I desperately need to catch up on my reading, have fallen so far behind. So this seems like the perfect opportunity!

I've got a stack of books lying around just waiting to be started - but nothing in particular, no.

In my super-comfy lounge chair.

Yes. Go Team Pie!!! :D

My family will come to visit next weekend, so that'll probably put a mayor stop to my reading. But I'm hoping to get a lot of reading done before then.

Definitely the group activities!

message 18: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 428 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I want to read 9 books for the 9 days of the read-a-thon
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? The Testaments! Comes out the 10th
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? On the couch or listening to audiobooks in the car/at work.
4. Are you participating in the team challenge? Yes, go Team Brownie!
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Work is probably going to be busier than I anticipated which just means I'll be listening to more audiobooks than reading physical books.
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Helping to complete the quests on the team challenge!

message 19: by Cali (new)

Cali (calim) | 79 comments What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I'd like to make some solid progress on my ATY. I'm thinking 5 books this week is a good goal.

Are there any books you're dying to start or finish?
I have 1 book checked out from the library that I'd like to get through before it's returned.

Where will you be doing most of your reading?
bed, couch, and my desk chair at work *shhhhh*

Are you participating in the team challenge?
Yep, it's my first! Go Team Brownie!

Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!
Only me and my tendency to get distracted :) This is actually a perfect week for me to focus on a read-a-thon.

What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon?
I'm excited to see how much I can read if I cut out the other nonsense in my life (tv, social media, internet, etc).

message 20: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 6929 comments Mod
- Just to read, honestly. I've been in a bit of a slump with school starting, so I just really hope to dedicate more reading time this week.

- I'm dying to catch up on ATY lolol. So the three books I have up next are what I'm hoping to finish this week.

- I'd like to say in my red chair at home, but I have a feeling it will be more audiobooks and reading at work between classes.

- Yep! Let's go Team Cookie!

- Lots of school stuff. Football games, cheer practices, grading, etc. Just a busy time of year.

- I'm super excited about the individual quest, and if I had known how detailed it was, I probably would have skipped the team quest, just because my time is a bit limited right now. The individual quest looks great!

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (dg_reads) | 327 comments 1. What areq your goals for the read-a-thon? I don't have specific goals, just to get a lot of reading in and I'm hoping this will help motivate me!

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I have a lot of buddy reads in progress I won't likely finish this week, aside from that it will be all mood reading.

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Ido a lot of audio book reading in the car, aside from that mostly at home.

4. Are you participating in the team challenge? Yes - team cake!

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Next weekend I have a friend in town, so that will slow me down a bit. Other than that, just summer heat sapping my energy!

6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Extra motivation and the team challenge!

message 22: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 261 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read as much as possible. 8 books left for ATY challenge, so would like to check a few off.

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Hoping to finish Return of the King.

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home

4. Are you participating in the team challenge? Yes, Co-leading team cookie.

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! I am starting to teach a Bible study in a week and I really need to spend time in that!

6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Working with my team!

message 23: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 131 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? As usual, have fun and read more. Plus, I need to fill in all that time I've been watching tennis for 2 weeks.
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Not really. Just the usual eyes-bigger-than-um-eyes pile from the library.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home, but maybe in a chair outside to soak in the last of the sun. See #1.
4. Are you participating in the team challenge? I hope so, but I need to see where I am.
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Again, the usual life stuff, trying to be more productive.
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Hmm, I haven't done a team thing in a while so I'll say that.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read as much as I can, and hopefully catch up a bit. I spent all of last week on Spinning Silver, which I liked but it felt like it took forever!

Let Me Hear a Rhyme and The Last Mrs. Parrish, which I'm not 100% sure I will get to this week.

My room.

I always sign up and try to participate, but so much happens while I'm at work that I find it hard to keep up.

It was an extremely busy first day, but the rest of the week should be pretty clear.

The extra motivation to read as much as I can.

message 25: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? Read, read and read ... and have fun.

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? The Cruel Prince

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home

4. Are you participating in the team challenge? of reading lately No, I was thinking to do it this time, but I have not been in the mood and I don't want to affect the team.

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Just my mood :S , but I will try to put an extra effort.

6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? The games :)

message 26: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1520 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I want to finish The Thorn Birds and get caught up in the challenge again.
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? The Thorn Birds and I'd really like to read You
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? In my home office or my bed or waiting around somewhere
4. Are you participating in the team challenge? yes
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Work, kids and apparently Netflix - I couldn't stop binge watching yesterday
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Just getting caught back up on reading and hopefully reading some good stuff

message 27: by Lieke (last edited Sep 09, 2019 03:58AM) (new)

Lieke | 709 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To enjoy my reading, and maybe get some books I have been reading for months from my currently reading pile.

I wanted to finish the book I was reading (An Echo of Things to Come) and read Achtste-groepers huilen niet, but I already managed to do that this weekend.

In the bus to work and back.

Yes I'm a Pie :)

Work ;)

Reading

message 28: by Storm (new)

Storm 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read! I've slowed down due to time constraints and I have a lot of stuff I wanna catch up on.
We have always lived in the castle (start) and Spinning Silver (finish)
home and in the car (audiobooks)
yeah! #teamcookie
work and rehearsals and shows
meeting new readers and books