Start by marking “The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)

The Cruel Prince

(The Folk of the Air #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  118,388 ratings  ·  19,495 reviews
Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen aw
Published January 2nd 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Cruel Prince, please sign up.
Christina Unfortunately no! Book 1 officially releases on January 2nd, 2018. Book 2 is slated for sometime in 2019, and book 3 is slated for sometime in 2020.…moreUnfortunately no! Book 1 officially releases on January 2nd, 2018. Book 2 is slated for sometime in 2019, and book 3 is slated for sometime in 2020. I'd keep an eye on Holly's website as well as Little Brown for future pub dates. (less)
Jake Hill Rumour has it that The Darkest Part of the Forest is set in the same world as Holly Black's Faerie Tales series (Tithe, Valiant and Ironside) and that…moreRumour has it that The Darkest Part of the Forest is set in the same world as Holly Black's Faerie Tales series (Tithe, Valiant and Ironside) and that this world is going to be connected to both of those as well.
But you don't need to read the others to understand. Each story, to my understanding, is so very removed from the other that I don't think it actually impacts on the other two at all.
So if you are only interested in this, you don't have to worry. However, we do recommend the reading of all of Holly Black's faerie books as they are awe inspiring and so poetic and fantastical whilst maintaining the grit and mess that is reality. Actually anything by Holly is a safe bet in my opinion. I hope that answers your question at all. =)(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,042 books — 5,411 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,295 books — 4,763 voters

More lists with this book...

·  118,388 ratings  ·  19,495 reviews

Start your review of The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
*tips mic* Thank you for joining me this evening. This song is called: Here's How I Feel About This Book. *screams for 12 continuous hours*

This book just killed me in the comfort of my own home. My feelings are owed so many apologies because I have been emotionally compromised by Holly Black and I just want to lie on the floor and not think for a month or two. I mean, honestly, why read this book when you can just get hit by a bus and get the same feeling?

Truly though, I wish I/>This
Melanie
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Single One of You ♥

“He looks like a faerie lover stepped out of a ballad, the kind where no good comes to the girl who runs away with him.”

If you guys ever want to see what my true heart’s desires are on paper, read this book. This book is a piece of heaven that was sent from above, this book is the perfection incarnate, this book is nothing short of magical, this book easily makes my top five books of all-time list, and this book is without a doubt the best book I’ve read in 2017. I’m not sure how I’m even going t
Emily May
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
No matter how careful I am, eventually I'll make another misstep. I am weak. I am fragile. I am mortal.
I hate that most of all.

4 1/2 stars. Over the course of this year, I've read both books that I've liked and books I've disliked. I've read books that I've loved and, it's fair to say, books that are better written, more unique, and more groundbreaking than this book. That being said, however, I am struggling to recall a book that has left me this excited about a YA series in a very long tim
Warda
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So, where to begin.
Hype as we know it, is quite futile. The buzz it ignites is amazing. They create this excitement within you that has your mind wandering to all of the possibilities and direction the book can go in.

Because of the hype, I assumed I would enjoy this book. I'm quite an easy-to-please reader, so usually when a book is hyped up, I tend to enjoy it. Or even if I don't, I will feel indifferent. But this book brought about a rage within me; I hated it with every fibre of my being.

Y
Miranda Reads
description

If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.
Jude (and her twin, Taryn) are human but their older sister (Vivi) belonged to another world.

Their mother fled when she was pregnant with Vivi and escaped to the human world. Their mother gave birth to the half-fairy Vivi, married and soon had Jude & Taryn.

But their little family could not stay hidden.

Madoc (her mother's ex husband) belongs to the fae and according to their wild ways, he was honor-bound to murder their mother for abandoning his familyTaryn.
Marie Lu
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WHAT IS THIS BEAUTY. Someone please revive me because I am dead from the awesomeness of this book.

If you want to read a masterpiece of character and story, look no further. The Cruel Prince showcases Holly Black at the top of her game: it is exquisitely dark and delightfully wicked, set in an intricate world of highlighted sensation--the taste of faerie fruit, the feel of rich, decaying fabrics, the smells of dangerous old chambers--and populated by a cast of characters that left me
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I liked this a lot! I completely get why so many people didn't enjoy this and there are plenty of things certain characters do that are inexcusable. There were just so many other things about the book that I enjoyed! The plot itself was a wild time. One of the later chapters had me staring at a wall in a state of disbelief in regards to what had happened. The world was such an interesting one to explore! I've got more to say on this, but my mind is just asdfghjkl; after reading it so that's all ...more
Victoria Aveyard
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I require book 2 immediately. Holly is the Faerie Queen.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Sorry folks, I don't get it.

2.5? Maybe...

Unmemorable. Another YA fantasy with fairies and humans, clichés and cringe romance similar to all the other fantasy/dystopian books that have been coming out. I don't understand the hype because there was nothing I found good in here. There wasn't anything horrible either which leaves me with a "meh" review.

Won't continue the series. Don't recommend it.
❄️Nani❄️
Aug 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
384 pages. ZERO SUBSTANCE.

Unless you call pages littered with problematic shit... substance.

I don’t get it. I just don’t fucking get it.

Before: This book is my 1st experience with Holly Black. It’ll either make or break our future relationship.

After: Any plans for a potential future relationship is hereby terminated. Over. Done with. Null and void. Cancelled... you get the point.

when you go into a book expecting gold and it ends up being your worst read of the year. In January…

Oh, the rage…

384 pages. ZERO SUBSTANCE.

Unless you call pages littered with problematic shit... substance.

I don’t get it. I just don’t fucking get it.

Oh, the rage…

Lola
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
You know a story is good when, at night, before falling asleep, you eagerly replay the story in your mind, but this time with you as the main character living an exciting adventure full of intrigue, danger and romance.

It’s one of my preferred ways of falling in the arms of Morpheus.

What we have here is Holly Black’s best work if I dare say so myself. I am amazed with this author’s ability to paint scenes of faerie romance, glamour, deception and terror that make your heart pound and stop, poun
Emma Giordano
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Absolutely loved this read!! A wondrous fantasy novel that is easy to get invested in. So many great plot twists and high-intensity, suspenseful moments!

TW: murder, physical abuse, sexual abuse, suicide

Holly Black is truly the queen of creating exquisite worlds. Her interpretation of faeries is always so fascinating and glorious. It’s hard to fully capture what it is about her world-building that is so magical, but her books are always my favorite when it comes to faeries
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
"If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse."

I see why people call Holly Black 'Queen of the Faeries'. Hoooly wow. What a delightfully dark, twisty novel.

If you know anything about me, I'm all about the court politics & intrigue, villains & anti-heroes, and schemes within plots within schemes. This book had my name written ALL over it.

Okay so here's the basic rundown without giving away too much. Jude and Taryn are twins. Vivi is their older
C.G. Drews
Read 2 | January 2019

because one must prepare for an eternity of internal screaming, I reread this before The Wicked King and just let me say: aaaaaaaaaaaa wHY IS IT SO GOOD THOUGH. It is vicious and merciless and gorgeous and bloody and ajdfkslad I don't know what this says about me, but this is my favourite type of book. I really didn't ship Cardan/Jude the first time but I do now. Look at these two completely dysfunctional slytherin darlings go.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧
Read 1 |/>Read
emma
*clears throat*

Excuse me, uh. Who cares?

This is not a rhetorical question. I truly want to know. I read this whole ass book and I am still at a complete loss for something, anything, to care about. Not a plot point, not a character trait, not a single line of quirky banter I could get myself emotionally invested in.

This is a book about fairies and it was a trial for me to get through. Me, a person who loves fairies so much she spent her entire third grade year
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Faeries make up for their inability to lie with a panoply of deceptions and cruelties. Twisted words, pranks, omissions, riddles, scandals, not to mention their revenges upon one another for ancient, half-remembered slights. Storms are less fickle than they are, seas less capricious.”

And this is exactly why I LOVED this book! I dunno about you but I love my faeries wicked, cunning and cruel and unfortunately not a lot of authors are able to pull that off. Many faerie books are pretty soft and the MCs
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Well, despite marking this as "currently reading" (I put books there that I plan to read within the next week or two) I finally cracked this bad boy open today...and finished it in one three-hour siting.

So, if that's not an indication of something being a seriously above average read, I don't know what is.

description

Jude was a really edgy, imperfect, relatable character and I really liked her.

So often, I want characters to do something - maybe say something or do something I want them to do in a specific moment - a
jessica
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
some books are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

this book is all of the above. my mind simply cannot comprehend what i just read because its greatness transcends human understanding. what a blessed world we live in where this kind of greatness exists for us mere mortals.

i cant even fathom what sort of perfection ‘the wicked king’ will be. the last half of this book is one of the best build-ups to a sequel i have ever read. like, are you kidding me!? holly
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I already knew it was coming but here is my Fairyloot box =) Clink link below pic to see about the items!

FAIRYLOOT STUFF

OMG! Click on my link below the picture to see close-ups and my synopsis of the items =)

OWLCRATE STUFF

Holy sh*t balls! I love it =)

I love Jude! She's my new bad to the bone girl! She gets dragged away with her two sisters to Faerie by the man that killed her parents. Lives in Faerie most of her life. Is training to fight and can handle a sword very well. She wants to be a Knight but she turns
Katerina
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, fae, fantasy
Brace yourselves, folks, we're jumping on the hype wagon!

“If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.”

First Stop: Elfhame
With all the raving reviews about The Cruel Prince, how could little ol' Katerina resist? The Hype (yes, Hype with a capital H because it's a being of its own that swallows the innocent and the weak) was a siren, luring me to dive into its dark waters, and, thankfully, I was not eaten alive. With aclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Helena of Sparta ✰
“Nice things don’t happen in storybooks. Or when they do happen, something bad happens next. Because otherwise the story would be boring, and no one would read it.”

description

PERFECT. This book is PERFECT. So…BUCKLE UP! ‘CAUSE YOU’RE IN FOR A WILD RIDE!

description

Holly Black, you are going to be the DEATH of me! I loved the Spiderwick Chronicles as a child (so cute!), mildly enjoyed theSo…BUCKLEclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Elena
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
If you hurt me, I wouldn't cry. I would hurt you back.

Um, then why didn't you, Jude?

I think I need to get it out of the way: YA fantasy is not suited for me anymore. I've made a quite very easy choice of letting go of the genre slowly. Although I'm no longer going to be checking out YA fantasy from my library, I'm still planning on reading and finishing the ones I own and then donating them to my library, the book store there, and some donation centers in my city.

Before starting this review,
Kai
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2018
“I have lied and I have betrayed and I have triumphed.”

Um yes, I totally gave in to the hype and for once I am glad.

After reading The Darkest Part of the Forest, I developed a sudden thirst for more faerie stories and more Holly Black. The Cruel Prince was like a gift from heaven. By the way, if you have only read one of these two books, you might be interested in checking out the other. You might recognise a few characters.

This book is like paradise for fans of young adult fantasy. Nat
Eliza
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Can I say everyone?
Reread December 2018-January 2019

This is easily still one of my favorite books, ever. It's hard for me to find much that I don't like about it. Either way, here's to book two which comes out in less than a week!

______________________________________

∿4.75/5∿

This was absolutely lovely and magical. Ya'll, the hype surrounding this book is all very real. Please do yourself a favor, sit down with a large cup of tea/coffee and READ THIS.

Where do I even begin? My mind is still reeling fr/>This/>
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 The Cruel Prince ★★★★★
#2 The Wicked King ★★★★★
#3 The Queen of Nothing ???

If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.

It had been years since I’d picked up a Holly Black book, but I loved her writing as a kid, so I was a little bit apprehensive about re-entering her little fae world. Believe me when I say, though, that this book was everything I wanted it to be and so much more. Her writing is impeccable, the lore is woven seamlessly through the tale, the characters are lovable a
Fables&Wren
I want to begin with saying that what probably killed this book for me was the hype. I was literally expecting the feels I got when I read A Court of Mist and Fury or Strange the Dreamer. Instead, I would have gotten the feels like when I read A Daughter of Smoke and Bone or Caraval: It was good, but like it wasn't astonishing or mind-blowing.

So, story begins with a Fae coming and murdering the parents of a pair a twins and their half-Fae older sister. After witnessing this tragedy, Jude and her twi
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2019
1.) The Cruel Prince ★★★★
*.) The Lost Sisters ★★
2.) The Wicked King ★★★

-----------------------------------------------

If they don't hate-f*ck in the next book, I'm rioting
Samantha
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars / There were things I really liked about this book and other things that were misses for me. I definitely don't think this is the groundbreaking, earth shattering read that many are making it out to be, but I'm glad I read it and I think later books in the series will be stronger.

Full review and spoiler discussion to come on my channel :)
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing

“Love is a noble cause. How can anything in the service of a noble cause be wrong?”

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
One day a stranger knocks at Jude’s home and kills her parents, only to take her and her sisters to Faerie.
A land of magical creatures, where they’re treated badly for being human.
The king has many heirs, but only one stands out for Jude. Cardan, who hates her so badly that he makes her life a living hell.
Until she fights back.

This book was so freaking addictive. I just couldn’t put it down. I wa
megs_bookrack
Please enjoy the following gif presentation of my reactions whilst reading this book:

Beginning:

Middle:

End:

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy, #3)
  • A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2)
  • Song of the Current (Song of the Current, #1)
  • The Gods of Men (Gods of Men, #1)
  • Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)
  • Dreamer's Pool (Blackthorn & Grim, #1)
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
  • Dark Tempest (Red Winter Trilogy, #2)
  • Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)
  • Iron's Prophecy (The Iron Fey, #4.5)
  • The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic (Grishaverse, #0.5 & 2.5 & 2.6)
  • Foolish Hearts
  • Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more

The Folk of the Air (3 books)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
“If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.” 735 likes
“Most of all, I hate you because I think of you. Often. It's disgusting, and I can't stop.” 585 likes