VICTOBER 2021 discussion

Victober 2019 > Ange's challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 100 comments Mod
Here's a thread to discuss what you're reading for, and recommendations for, Ange's challenge: read a book by a Victorian female author (bonus: one that’s new to you).

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll probably read "Hester" by Margaret Oliphant or "East Lynne" by Ellen Wood. Haven't read any of their works yet so I guess I'll be getting the bonus :)

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 7 comments I've decided to go with "East Lynne" too and have ordered a copy. Haven't ever read anything by Ellen Wood - so bonus for me too.

message 4: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (caffeechino) | 16 comments I'm thinking of reading Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell which will count for the short novel as well as this challenge.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (beatrice-joanna) | 25 comments I didn't get around to Villette last year so I really would like to tackle it this October.

Charlotte Brontë isn't a new author to me, so I will try to think of another novel or possibly play by a woman writer I haven't read before. It will have to be something fairly short though.

message 6: by MaryAnn (new)

MaryAnn (lifefullofwords) | 8 comments I’m reading North and South for this challenge. I have somehow never read any Gaskell and I need to rectify that situation immediately!

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 27 comments You had some great suggestions for your challenge Ange.
I've chosen "Lady Audley's Secret" by Mary Elizabeth Braddon.

message 8: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 29 comments I'll probably also go for Lady Audley's Secret.

message 9: by María (new)

María | 3 comments I choose Mary Elizabeth Braddon as well, but I'll go for Aurora Floyd.

message 10: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra | 10 comments I'm reading Middlemarch for this challenge. I've never read anything by George Eliot before and I'm really excited about it. The only thing is that it's huge so I might end up counting it for Katie's challenge too.

message 11: by Outi (new)

Outi | 4 comments I have some Gaskell & Eliot waiting, and I think I'll do for Cranford. Haven't read anything by Gaskell & Cranford sounds like an interesting place to start.

message 12: by Petra (new)

Petra (bookswithpetra) | 6 comments I am so happy to see people picking out Gaskell's books, they are so good and I have read several by her. I think I will read several books for this but at least I am going to read Lady Audley's Secret. Also I want to pick up something by Margaret Oliphant but there is so many to pick from!

message 13: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 6 comments I am going to read Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. I meant to read it last year but never got around to it.

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 2 comments I was intrigued by the inclusion of Welsh authors in this challenge, so I've downloaded Cometh Up as a Flower by Rhoda Broughton and Gladys of Harlech by LM Spooner. I've not heard of either author.

message 15: by Alice (new)

Alice Ambrose I’ve already started on my book for this challenge but it’s a bit of a chunker so I probably need the extra time. It’s “A Struggle for Fame” by Charlotte Riddell, an author I’ve heard about mostly for her ghost stories but this isn’t one of those; although I might try one of those in October as this book is really well written. It follows two Irish immigrants newly arrived in London both of whom are trying to make their way as writers. This is my first taste of Riddell’s writing style and it reminds me a bit of Trollope, there’s that blend of realistic detail and humor that I identify as typical of the best Victorian writers, I can definitely see why she was popular in her time.

message 16: by Illyria (new)

Illyria | 6 comments I will also read Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon, can't wait!

message 17: by Ophelia (new)

Ophelia (ophelia_lyra) | 25 comments Today I watched Katie's Top 10 Classic Novels video and she got me hooked on Dinah Craik’s “Olive”, so that’s the book I’ll be reading for this challenge.

message 18: by Marisia (new)

Marisia Martin | 29 comments I am going to read Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell. I have not read any of her works before.

message 19: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (jsuispoesie) For Ange's challenge I decided to read The Mill On The Floss, by George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans), it's my first book of hers, so I'm pretty excited to know a new female author

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine (christine_may) | 20 comments I've been looking up so many female authors I've never heard of for this challenge. Goodness me how prolific they were! I think I've decided on Isabella Varley Banks 'The Manchester Man' but then again it could be Dinah Craik's 'Olive'...

message 21: by Anna Christine (new)

Anna Christine | 5 comments For Ange’s Challenge of a female author, I’m reading Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte. Can’t wait!
Bonus because she’s a new author to me.

message 22: by Eko (new)

Eko | 5 comments I’ve never read anything by the youngest Brontë. So I will be reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë.

message 23: by Jayne (new)

Jayne | 4 comments Terrible I know, but I have never read any Anne Bronte. Poor Anne always seems to be neglected in favour of her sisters!
So I will be reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

message 24: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 5 comments For me it's going to be 'The Lifted Veil' by George Eliot. It's short, and no bonus for me because I've read from her before, but sometimes you just have to be realistic! And I love me some George Eliot.

message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 61 comments For Ange's challenge I will read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and she is new for me so I get the bonus. That's if I get the book read.I am very excited to finally get to this one.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

There's three books by women authors that I'd like to get to this October as part of Victober--"Agnes Grey," Anne Brontë; "The Lifted Veil," George Eliot," and "Beulah," Augusta Jane Evans. Out of these three, however, only Augusta Jane Evans is new to me.

message 27: by Angela (new)

Angela | 29 comments I wanted some nonfiction and gladly found some that will fit this challenge. I have never read Charlotte Perkins Gilman before, so I will be reading her Women and Economics. In it she advocates for women becoming economically independent for the betterment of society. I have never heard of it before and am excited to get to it!

message 28: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 3 comments This is great. I’ve been thinking of trying to add some nonfiction

message 29: by Paula (new)

Paula (verbosereader) | 11 comments For this challenge, again, I'm torn as to what to pick up this year. I really want to do the bonus for this challenge. For this challenge I am considering picking up: Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte or Deerbrook by Harriet Martineau. If I skip the bonus, I may read Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell, Shirley or Villette by Charlotte Bronte.

message 30: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 61 comments Paula wrote: "For this challenge, again, I'm torn as to what to pick up this year. I really want to do the bonus for this challenge. For this challenge I am considering picking up: Agnes Grey by A..."

I loved Agnes Grey but I have not read the others you mentioned and I am sure they are good also.

message 31: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 28 comments I think I'll try Margaret Oliphant's The Library Window since I am reading three large novels for the other challenges.

message 32: by Sandybeth (new)

Sandybeth I am going to read Lady Audley’s Secret too. It is always popping up on my recommended list. I am looking forward to it!

Encarni Reading The World Forever  | 2 comments I'm going to read North and South. It will be my first Gaskell and I'm very excited about it.

message 34: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Sandybeth wrote: "I am going to read Lady Audley’s Secret too. It is always popping up on my recommended list. I am looking forward to it!"

I have that on my phone and will be reading it soon too!

message 35: by Keriann (new)

Keriann (kad123) I am reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and loving it so far

message 36: by Margo (last edited Oct 01, 2019 01:56AM) (new)

Margo I plan to read Silas Marner. No bonus points though as this is not a new-to-me author. This is my only library book of the challenge so I will start it first - hopefully tomorrow.

message 37: by Danya (new)

Danya | 4 comments Anne Bronte for me also. Would people recommend Agnes Grey or Tennant of Wildfell Hall?

message 38: by Margo (new)

Margo Danyajeffrey wrote: "Anne Bronte for me also. Would people recommend Agnes Grey or Tennant of Wildfell Hall?"

I've heard many people raving about The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I plan to read Agnes Grey another part of this challenge and that will be my first Anne Bronte.

The Old Woman of All Hallows | 7 comments Margo wrote: "Danyajeffrey wrote: "Anne Bronte for me also. Would people recommend Agnes Grey or Tennant of Wildfell Hall?"

I've heard many people raving about The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I plan ..."

I'm reading 'Agnes Grey' too, after 'Middlemarch'. First four chapters of the latter this morning and enjoying it so far.

message 40: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (sophron) | 19 comments I want to read some poetry by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

message 41: by Christine (last edited Oct 04, 2019 09:01AM) (new)

Christine (christine_may) | 20 comments "I want to read some poetry by Elizabeth Barrett Browning."

Me too. I once tried to read Aurora Leigh, but unused to that kind of writing it was too difficult for me then. I might fare better now. Her life story is hugely interesting. I went to see a play about her many, many years ago the title of it being the name of her dog, but I cant remember the name, or the author of the play - I think it was based on a book. I wish I knew I would love to read the story.
EDIT I looked it up. Virginia Woolf wrote the story about her dog. No wonder it was so good!
Flush: A Biography

message 42: by Lu (new)

Lu (librogeek) | 8 comments For Ange's challenge, I read Wuthering Heights which - full disclosure - I started a day or two before Victober officially began. I finished reading it earlier today.

message 43: by April (last edited Oct 06, 2019 02:58PM) (new)

April | 134 comments I was tidying up my bookshelf a couple of days ago and saw a copy of a book that I had bought from ABE Books twenty years ago. It's called Robert Elsmere and it is by Mrs. Humphry Ward. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and I see that my copy is the first American or Colonial Edition published in 1888. There is actually a photo of the title page on Wikipedia that is the same as the one in my copy. I was very surprised. Mrs. Humphrey Ward is certainly an author I'm unfamiliar with, so I may read it for Ange's challenge when I finish Doctor Thorne. Wikipedia says it was a runaway bestseller.
Heres a link if you're interested:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...

The description on Amazon is interesting:
https://smile.amazon.com/Robert-Elsme...

message 44: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (goodreadscomrumbelle517) | 15 comments Reading Middlemarch for this one.

message 45: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jojohermione) | 5 comments I'll be reading Mrs. Gaskell's Cranford for this challenge, since I've never read it - even though I've owned it for two years! 🤦

message 46: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie April wrote: "I was tidying up my bookshelf a couple of days ago and saw a copy of a book that I had bought from ABE Books twenty years ago. It's called Robert Elsmere and it is by Mrs. Humphry Ward. I looked it..."

WOW! Fun to have such a book. You have to read it, soon!

message 47: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Joanna wrote: "I'll be reading Mrs. Gaskell's Cranford for this challenge, since I've never read it - even though I've owned it for two years! 🤦"

I am going to be reading that too this month. Her Wives and Daughters is not to be missed.

message 48: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jojohermione) | 5 comments Chrissie wrote: I am going to be reading that too this month. Her ..."

Nice! I enjoyed Wives and Daughters, and North and South is one of my absolute favorite books!

message 49: by April (new)

April | 134 comments Chrissie wrote: "April wrote: "I was tidying up my bookshelf a couple of days ago and saw a copy of a book that I had bought from ABE Books twenty years ago. It's called Robert Elsmere and it is by Mrs. Humphry War..."

Chrissie, even though it was a bestseller, it looks a bit daunting. The subject matter seems very dry. Plus, the font in the book is minuscule! I decided to order the Kindle edition because the book is a bit fragile, and then I can enlarge the font.

message 50: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie April wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "April wrote: "I was tidying up my bookshelf a couple of days ago and saw a copy of a book that I had bought from ABE Books twenty years ago. It's called Robert Elsmere and it is by..."

Still, it is very special to have it. Happy for you.

« previous 1