Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Witches

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6473 comments What are your favorite Witch horror stories?

message 3: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Sep 01, 2019 01:16PM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments A YA one that's not bad
Haven, Kansas by Alethea Kontis

Another new adult that's short but fun
The Sorority Eve (Sorority Trilogy, #1) by Tamara Thorne The Sorority Samantha (Sorority Trilogy, #3) by Tamara Thorne The Sorority Merilynn (Sorority Trilogy, #2) by Tamara Thorne

message 4: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments Hex (I know many didn't like this one, but I loved it).

The Invited

The Loney

Usher's Passing

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments Covenant by Wade Joseph Le Fevre by Wade Joseph Le Fevre - this was a scary five star read.

The House by the Cemetery by John Everson by John Everson - another scary read - four stars for this one.

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 241 comments Conjure Wife by Fritz Leiber
Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman (Bradburyesque if not exactly horror)
The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike
Banquet For the Damned by Adam Nevill
Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon (sort of witches, definitely horror)

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 751 comments The Mayfair witches series by Anne rice.

message 9: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1862 comments Sonya wrote: "The Mayfair witches series by Anne rice."

I agree. The first 2 books were really good and not a bunch of smarmy crap going on.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments The Witch of Halloween House by Jeff DeGordick by Jeff DeGordick - I enjoyed this book - I gave it four stars. It wasn't real bad scary, but it had some mystery/suspense along with action near the end of the book.

message 11: by Scott (last edited Jun 21, 2020 01:38PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 372 comments The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) by Anne Rice , Wildwood Road by Christopher Golden , Witch Water by Edward Lee , Treasure Box by Orson Scott Card . Coven by Edward Lee

message 12: by Chandler (new)

Chandler | 129 comments I finished Hex a few days ago. I'm still not okay. And I loved it!

message 13: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10644 comments Mod
neither of these are really horror but they are sooo good, especially the audio books- Circe by Madeline Miller Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 444 comments Maynard's House. Really creepy retro quiet horror, stylistically similar to Thomas Tryon. One of the best horror novels that no-one has ever heard of.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara Twigg | 15 comments The Lord's of Salem by Rob zombi.

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments This is a creepy tale of witches that I read last year:

The Malan Witch by Catherine Cavendish

message 17: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 241 comments I have a couple of others,
The Book of Shadows
The Thirteen

I haven't pulled the trigger on reading either. Any here read them? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

message 18: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10644 comments Mod
I haven’t read either of these.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Soucy | 37 comments I've always loved stories about witches--good, bad, and anything in between.

My all-time favorite is definitely The Witching Hour, even though the sequels leave a lot to be desired.

But I've enjoyed others over the years, most recently
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Malan Witch
Of Witches...

And I'm always on the lookout for more!

message 20: by Purnima (new)

Purnima Shukla (purnima_shukla) | 10 comments 7 hours at Bhata Road by Ajinkya Bhasme
by Ajinkya Bhasme

Is my favourite. It wasn't at first, but the moment I understood that it is a commentary on how society treats people with epilepsy and everything that I read, every construct that the author created, the world that he devised was all just a big metaphor.
I suddenly had a feeling of life of Pi and gave me goosebumps. I re-read it and suddenly became my favourite witch read.

I would recommend it to all and would love to discuss it with someone. I have a lot to discuss.

message 21: by Jake (new)

Jake T. | 2 comments I started reading Pandora Reborn by John Coon Pandora Reborn by John Coon a little while ago. It's about an ancient witch that terrorizes a small town in Colorado. Pretty good so far.

message 22: by Paperwitch (new)

Paperwitch | 9 comments Hex! By Thomas thomas olde heuvelt! It was originally published in another language so the version I read was in English and had a different ending. I really liked the story and the author plays around with the idea of fear, and familiarity! I suggest you guys check it out!

message 23: by Lora (new)

Lora Milton | 200 comments I'm currently reading The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris and finding it's a lot more about witches than the first book in the series, Chocolat.

Definitely worth a read if you like learning about subtle witchcraft.

message 24: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments This book I read is about witches and curses:

Black Creek Crossing by John Saul

message 25: by Hash (new)

Hash Black (hashblack) | 14 comments Interesting choice, Marie! I've always wanted to look into John Saul's books. how would rate them?

message 26: by Gina (new)

Gina (nyogtha) | 64 comments There are some nice graphic novels out there with witchy themes
Redlands, Vol. 1 by Jordie Bellaire Wytches, Volume 1 by Scott Snyder Black Magick, Vol. 1 Awakening, Part One by Greg Rucka Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things (Courtney Crumrin, #1) by Ted Naifeh

message 27: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments Hash wrote: "Interesting choice, Marie! I've always wanted to look into John Saul's books. how would rate them?"

Whoops! Just now seeing this Hash! Sorry about that. Well John Saul can definitely bring out the creepy that is for sure. Back in the day (lol) which was a very long time ago the only horror books I read were King and Saul. I have read quite a few of Saul's books and most of his stuff has some spooky vibes to them. His older books were just regular horror with ghosts and spooks, but his later books went dark with demons and the occult. He is definitely worth checking out. :)

message 28: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Are all of these horror or paranormal horror? I'm planning on writing a series about witches and pirates set in Salem at some point and I wanna know if it's possible to make it horror without being too paranormal.