This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

OK Portlanders. I have a question.

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture There's a 50/50 chance my husband is going to be transferred to his company's Portland, OR office. So I might be moving 3,000 miles away. I must admit I'm not terribly disappointed at this prospect because I've always imagined Portland is an incredible city, though I've never actually been there. I know there are some Portlanders here, so give it to me straight. Portland - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Um...and since this is the Hater's Club and I should hate on something. I hate that if we DO have to move my son won't be raised near his grandparents, with whom he now enjoys a very close relationship.

But seriously, that is the only negative I can find so far. I'm so over living in Bethesda.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Portland is amazing! I have to go to lunch, but I'll fill you in, later.

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Get out of Maryland while you've got the chance.

message 4: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture Rusty-I've been trying to get out of Maryland for pretty much all of my 32 years on this earth. I managed it for two years, but unfortunately that took me to Athens, Ohio, which is way worse than any place in Maryland (Dundalk excepted, of course).

Montambo - I can't wait to hear what you have to say!

message 5: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Maryland's that bad?

message 6: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Yes.

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture There are good things about Maryland. I live just outside of DC, so I pretty much didn't feel the recession. I live in a really highly-educated area, which is nice. It's diverse, which is nice. Also, my family and my own personal history is all here. And that'll be hard to leave.

The things I'm anxious to leave are sort of intangible and hard to explain. There's a Bethesda mindset that I'm not in love with. Pretty much I don't want my kid to get addicted to Ritalin trying to get into an Ivy League school, and then try to kill himself if he doesn't. Because that's kinda rampant in Bethesda. And I'm surrounded by people who judge me for sending my kid to daycare rather than hiring a Nanny. And who give me dirty looks when I don't fall for his tears and tell him to stand up when he trips at the playground. And who can't believe we're happy with the teaching that his home-based daycare provider is giving him and will probably skip 3 year old preschool. And are shocked that I buy his clothes almost exclusively at Goodwill and Target. Etc....

Basically, I can't relate to anyone here.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, can you handle rain and grayness? Because our weather is pretty mild, I think. We have four distinct seasons. We rarely have a lot of snow (except this year), but we do usually get some. Our Summers are warm and gorgeous, our Falls are beautiful (of course I've never been to New England, and they think their Falls are so hotsy-totsy). But there is a grayish rainy season that gets to some people. I've lived here my whole life and I just love a temperate climate. I need four distinct seasons.

Portland has many fine suburbs (including Gresham, where I currently live) so you have many areas to choose from. There are lots of cool neighborhoods and parks and we're big on the arts, books, coffee, libraries (our are awesome) and beer. Lots of beer. The Portland Public School District has taken some hits, lately, but it's so huge that there is a lot of variety in the schools, with different magnet schools that you can apply for and regular schools that just specialize in certain things (like language immersion.)

Portlanders are very nice! Our public transportation is pretty good and always getting better, but that's only hearsay, because I've lived in Gresham my whole life and have always had a car. We are big on recycling and being green, so if you care about that stuff, you can come here and feel good about it. :)

No sales tax! (That's means higher property tax and other problems that homeowners have, but we'll skip that part.)

Also, our city is divided by the gorgeous Willamette River. Never swim in it! (There are many, many, many rivers, lakes, etcetera nearby that are great to swim in), but the Willamette is certainly beautiful. Even Lewis and Clark were amazed and they'd already seen like the whole country by then. Because of the river, we have these gorgeous bridges that my best friend Marie prompts us to walk across at night, and we're always grateful when she does so. Did you know we're called Bridgetown? It's cause of our beautiful bridges. Did you know we're called Stumptown? It's because of all of our trees. We're also called The City of Roses, which is as self-explanatory as Bridgetown. And we have the most microbreweries per capita of any state!

If you are in Portland, you are only an hour away from everything! The beach, Mt. Hood, the Columbia River Gorge (insane.) And there's Powell's, of course. And the Wordstock Festival. And a good art museum. And lots of every kind of art you like--whether it's concerts, ballet, theater, literary events, etcetera.

I will think of more later. I will also try to think of some downsides. Do you hate hipsters? Hippies? I can't see why you would, as they assure that we have lots of good and diverse markets, farmers markets, parks, bike avenues, etcetera.

And we're nice. We're really nice. And have no discernible dialect that is going to make grocery checkout difficult.

Plus, Marie and I live here, as do many other good goodreaders. There you go. I'll be back.

message 9: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments crap Bunny! Me too. or at least visit. I've never even been there!

message 10: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I've been there!

Just kidding. No I haven't. But you make it sound so divine, I wish I had. Nikki, now you simply HAVE TO move.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 24, 2009 02:18PM) (new)

Yeah, see here? Downtown (between the Rose Gardens and Mt. Hood). Pretty.

A couple of our bridges (they're very eclectic):

Deschutes Brewery (right by Powells.) If you think you know the glory of their beer, you have to come in and have it on tap.

A full city block of new and used books (with Portland's Testicle (being lovingly fondled) in the foreground):

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

And I'm from Boring and Gresham, just outside of Portland, so I could be slanted, but two other Haters (Steve and Logan) have moved here in the last couple of years and both seem to love it. I'm not sure where Logan lived before, but Steve lived in San Diego and San Francisco before coming here and he loves it here.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, if any of you visit, let me know. :)

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture Montambo, do you work for Portland's tourism board? If not, you should. You're selling me on it. If it looks like the transfer becomes more of a possibility, the husband and I will probably take a long weekend to checkout the city.

It's going to be a crap few months waiting to hear about this transfer.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 24, 2009 03:01PM) (new)

I hate waiting!!! somuch.

Well, if you come check it out, Marie and I can show you around. We like to do that.

message 16: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen Also Nikki our city is pretty kid friendly.
I can let you know when the free/cheap days are at the local attractions and which ones are better and hold out for the full price days (NEVER GO TO 2.00 TUESDAY AT THE ZOO!!! Do go to 2.00 tuesday at Omsii - the science museum). There are free concerts galore in the parks during the summer ending in a full symphony performance on the waterfront in downtown complete with a fireworks show at the end. The Ballet rehearses outside for a week and puts on a free performance at the end of it.
We have a fairly good selection of restaurants/pubs/breweries that have kid friendly areas but are still enjoyable for the adults.
We have some completely awesome fountains for summer time splashing and there are so many outdoor movies in the parks it's overwhelming.
Portland's distinct neighborhoods have kid friendly (okay and some not kid friendly) almost all summer long.
and then theres the winter........
um, that's when they go to school.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

January-March are a bit much.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 24, 2009 09:38PM) (new)

Plus if you make it here next month you get to see this! http://www.audubonportland.org/local-...

Watching the swifts form a vortex flow into the chimney is one of the coolest things you'll ever see :D

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori Sometimes I wish I had moved to Portland instead of Seattle...

message 20: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture When can I move??

What if I want to live close-ish to downtown, near public transportation, in a single-family home, in a good school district all on one (husband's) salary.

Is that a pipe dream? 'Cause it sure as fuck is in Montgomery County Maryland.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Nikki, if you look in SE and NE Portland, you can find what you want. My friend just moved to the Mt. Tabor neighborhood to a totally affordable place so that her son can go to a Japanese immersion school (public.) It's near downtown and transportation, but is peppered with parks and feels neighborhoody instead of too urban. Most of SE and NE is close to downtown, as long as you go no higher than like 70th on either side. SW and NW are downtown, mostly.

Here is a neighborhood guide.
http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/