Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Monthly Group Reads Nominations > May 2019 BotM Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Apr 12, 2019 08:16AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Ok! Let's get 'er done!

Since we're trying to get back into the swing of things, here's how this nomination will go:

-Everyone can nominate ONE (1) book for the May group read. ONE. It needs to be a book you WANT to read and you think others will enjoy, too.

-Everyone can SECOND up to two (2) other books nominated by other members. This will stay - to see what is most popular - unless we have little to no participation.

-Nominations must be for FANTASY only. No Sci-fi. No Romance. No _____ (fill in the blank). If there is an argument about genre, the Mods make the final decision to possibly toss the nomination. Mod decisions are FINAL.

ETA: Please remember your GR App using friends! The app doesn't show cover links, only written links. It's fine to post the cover but you MUST also link the book using words. Without this, app users will be 100% unable to see the nominations.

Current Eligible Nominations
NPCs by Drew Hayes
Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
Red Sister by Mark Lawrence
The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark

POLL HERE: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 2: by Valerie (last edited Apr 08, 2019 09:55AM) (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 68 comments I will nominate Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik.

ps - I like this format!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Okay... I read this but it's a favorite so I can read it again:

NPCs NPCs (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #1) by Drew Hayes

message 4: by Caleb (new)

Caleb (calebwoodbridge) | 1 comments I nominate The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold - one of the best fantasy novels I've read lately.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie I'll nominate Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop. It's been on my TBR for a long time.

message 6: by Billy (last edited Apr 08, 2019 10:27AM) (new)

Billy Munich | 2 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Okay... I read this but it's a favorite so I can read it again:

NPCs NPCs (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #1) by Drew Hayes"

Second, Everyone needs to read this and I would love an excuse to re-read...again

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 68 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Okay... I read this but it's a favorite so I can read it again:

NPCs NPCs (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #1) by Drew Hayes"

I am not ready to second yet, but I have put a hold on this one at the library!

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Books eligible so far:
NPCs

message 9: by Billy (last edited Apr 08, 2019 12:42PM) (new)

Billy Munich | 2 comments Valerie wrote: "I will nominate Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik.

ps - I like this format!"

The cover of Spinning Silver looks very similar to Uprooted https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Is this a series? The Good Reads page doesn't show it as being a series, but that isn't always accurate.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Billy wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I will nominate Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik.

ps - I like this format!"

The cover of Spinning Silver looks ve..."

As far as I know, no. They are alike in that they are fairytale retellings, however.

message 11: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 1 comments Omg, I second Daughter of the Blood! I read that series a long time ago and kept going back to it and recommending it so much that people got sick of me! I'd love to discuss that one with a group of new readers.

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'd like to nomination The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments I'll second Spinning Silver

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 95 comments I’ll second NPCs

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie I'll second The Curse of Chalion

message 16: by Evy (new)

Evy (evee1012) | 2 comments Circe by Madeline Miller

message 18: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) | 16 comments I would like to nominate The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark.

message 19: by (last edited Apr 09, 2019 02:02AM) (new)

Bé | 12 comments I'll choose as well the Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop. It's a great book!

message 20: by (new)

Bé | 12 comments I'll second the Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop. It's a great book!

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Marion wrote: "I would like to nominate The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark."

Already nominated. Is this a second?

message 22: by Brian (new)

Brian Allen | 7 comments I haven't read NPC’S but it sounds very interesting. I vote for that.

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason Hein (jasonphein) | 32 comments I will second spinning silver!

message 24: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Current Eligible Nominations
NPCs by Drew Hayes

message 25: by AliciaJ (last edited Apr 09, 2019 12:42PM) (new)

AliciaJ I'd like to nominate Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. I love this series.

message 26: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Apr 09, 2019 11:51AM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Actually that's the third book in the series AliciaJ. I think the general rule is you need to nominate the first book in the series Red Sister for a group read.

message 27: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Actually that's the third book in the series AliciaJ. I think the general rule is you need to nominate the first book in the series Red Sister for a group read."

Thanks Mike, I realized after I posted it that I should probably list Red Sister first. Thanks for catching that. :)

message 28: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Apr 09, 2019 07:21PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments I'll second Red Sister. I read it and it's good. I'm finding Grey Sister a little slower.

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

NPCs by Drew Hayes

Note: I am debating if The Black God's Drums is eligible since it was nominated twice. It would be easier if Marion would pop back in and clarify.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments I'd just count the second nom as a second MrsJ. It would be easier and people will vote for it or not. No need to make extra work for yourself.

:)

message 31: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I'd just count the second nom as a second MrsJ. It would be easier and people will vote for it or not. No need to make extra work for yourself.

:)"

Sounds like a plan! I'll do that. :-D

message 32: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

NPCs by Drew Hayes
The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'm going to close nominations about 3-4PM EST today. I'll put up the poll and we'll have through the weekend to vote.

Please remember, you are voting for a book you want to read. It will be difficult to get group reads going if people don't read and participate.

message 34: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments I'll strongly second MrsJoseph's thoughts. I don't vote in polls if I'm not intending to participate in the read.

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments carol. wrote: "I'll strongly second MrsJoseph's thoughts. I don't vote in polls if I'm not intending to participate in the read."

Me, either.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Well I'll modify that a little. I sometimes vote but if a book I don't care to read wins (one I didn't vote for) I may skip that month.

message 37: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments That's fair :)

I've just noticed here and in other groups that there's far more voters than readers :)

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Agreed.

message 39: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Oops—i meant far more voters than readers—

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments ...that's what you said....

Don't confuse me I'm not as bright as I look.

message 41: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Gees, i hate the GR app.

message 43: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Tassoff | 8 comments OK, I just submitted my vote.

I really enjoyed the Super Powereds series by Drew Hayes, so I'm hoping that we end up reading NPCs.

If we wind up with the Black Jewels book by Anne Bishop, I'll probably bow out for this month, as I was extremely put off by the amount of sexual violence and sadism in that series.

note: I don't generally object to casual or gratuitous violence in my reading material, but I just thought I'd give everyone a heads up that some of the depictions in Anne Bishop's work should require a trigger warning on the book cover.

message 44: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Jeremy wrote: "OK, I just submitted my vote.

I really enjoyed the Super Powereds series by Drew Hayes, so I'm hoping that we end up reading NPCs.

If we wind up with the Black Jewels book by Anne Bishop, I'll pr..."

I will agree with you here. Black Jewels doesn't appear to be my cup of tea, either.

message 45: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ I have to agree with the conversation about Black Jewels, it didn’t work for me either. But I voted, and definitely will be participating 😊

message 46: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Well, that's interesting. I haven't read any of Anne Bishop's books yet but have heard good things about them from others.

message 47: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Tassoff | 8 comments They're well-written (mostly - there a are a few gaping plot holes), and it's a good story with interesting world-building, but the level of sexual sadism is extreme (rape, castration, mutilation, etc.).

message 48: by Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (last edited Apr 15, 2019 07:38AM) (new)

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) I voted, even if the winner was not my first pick, as long as I can get it from the library I will join the discussion.

UPDATE: And the winner is... a book not available at my library. Oh well, maybe next month.

message 49: by Jeremy (last edited Apr 15, 2019 10:04AM) (new)

Jeremy Tassoff | 8 comments And the winner is... a book not available at my library. Oh well, ma..."

Does your city/county/state/kingdom/empire have an Inter-Library Loan (ILL) program?
Alternatively, you can check and see if they're a member of Overdrive.com. They may have a digital version available (either text or audio).

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments It's also available on Audible if you have that, but InterLibrary Loan is a good choice if available.

« previous 1