Start by marking “Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1)

Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  13,752 Ratings  ·  1,899 Reviews
I was born for killing – the gods made me to ruin.

At the Convent of Sweet Mercy young girls are raised to be killers. In a few the old bloods show, gifting talents rarely seen since the tribes beached their ships on Abeth. Sweet Mercy hones its novices’ skills to deadly effect: it takes ten years to educate a Red Sister in the ways of blade and fist.

But even the mistresses
Published April 4th 2017 by Ace

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I just reread this book again today in preparation for starting book 2, and it is just as good as the first time :)

It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size. For Sister Thorn of the Sweet Mercy Convent, Lano Tacsis brought two hundred men.
Man, what a hook.

This is classic Mark Lawrence in that it's extremely violent, unflinchingly bloody, and gives no fucks, which may be bad for anyone who isn't really fond of brutality involving children (seriousl
Mark Lawrence
Jun 28, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
STOP PRESS Red Sister is deal of the day on US audible today. So cheap in fact that you should definitely get three copies! :D

Red Sister is a finalist in the Gemmell Legend Awards. But I urge you to vote for Robin Hobb if you've read her. She really deserves to be the first female winner of a Legend Award. Assassin's Fate is a fine book capping off a great literary achievement over 20 years!

It just takes a few mouse clicks to vote. http://www.gemmellawards.com/award-vo...

-- Red Sister has a new
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Do not mess with these nuns . . .

It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size. For Sister Thorn of Sweet Mercy Convent Lano Tacsis brought two hundred men

No child truly believes they will be hanged. Even on the gallows platform with the rope scratching at their wrists and the shadow of the noose upon their face they know that someone will step forward, a mother, a father returned from some long absence, a king dispensing justice . . . someone. Few
James Lafayette  Tivendale
I received an advanced copy of Red Sister from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I would like to announce my gratitude to Mark Lawrence, Ace and Berkley Publishing Group for this opportunity.

Throughout this narrative, we flaunt within the mind of and follow the actions of Nona. Our protagonist is a young girl who we are introduced to initially whilst she is awaiting execution via the gallows for killing a renowned pit-fighter. Luckily for Nona, it just so happens that Abbess Glass, wh
Emily May
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy, 2017
Ah, this is going to be a hard book to review. I have a lot of mixed feelings about Lawrence's latest work and I'm going to try and organize my thoughts as best I can.

What I love most about Lawrence's writing is the fact he's - to be frank - dramatic as fuck. He knows how to create a nail-biting, bloody, on-the-edge-of-your-seat kind of scene. Red Sister opens with an army coming to kill a nun:
Anne
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
100% badass from start to finish.

description

When I think of nuns my mind doesn't immediately leap to a group of violent assassins.
Or, at least, it didn't use to.
Now? Well, now perhaps I'll think twice before I try to put the smackdown on a Sister. Who knows what sort of training they've had or weapons they're hiding under those habits?!
You can never be too cautious with those religious types...

description

So, yeah this is basically a story that centers around a little girl with supernatural Wolverine claws who's tryi
Melanie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by Penguin Random House in exchange for an honest review.

“A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one.”

This story surrounds a young girl, given away by her mother and village after a frightful night. Yet, even being given away, our young protagonist, Nona, proves that there will always be room in your heart to love. The children that are given away to be sold are worth as much as wha
Petros Triantafyllou
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It had never crossed my mind that I would read a greater story than that of Kvothe the Arcane. I had never thought it was possible to find a greater character than the Emperor Jorg Ancrath. I had never even slightly considered that there might be a fantasy world out there toppling that of Τhe Final Empire, and most definitely, I had never thought that i could love a book more than The Night Angel. But here we are.

Nona, a young girl of eight, orphaned by her father and abandoned by her mother, i
Petrik
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebooks
ARC provided by the publisher—Harper Voyager—via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Buddy read with these Sisters: Sarah, TS and Melanie

Bloody, consecration, philosophical, multitude of female casts, lesbian relationship and badass warrior nuns, Red Sister has been a wonderful surprise for me. After the struggle I had with the first 25% of the book, it’s a wonder how the rest of the book could made me love it but oh nun (ha ha ha) it did.

The plot of Red Sister, the first book in 'Book o
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert!!!: 05Jun18 This is the Audible Daily Deal. If you don't have it pick it up $5.95

I WON!!!!

description

The amazing Mark Lawrence is sending me a signed copy of this. I AM SO EXCITED!!!

I won it and now I've finally read in since Grey Sister comes out shortly. Full Review To Come but NONA is awesome.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

First of all, b/c I've already been asked numerous times, YES, this is an entirely new trilogy, unrelated to Lawrence's previous works. So if you tried to read PRINCE OF THORNS and DNFed it b/c you couldn't tolerate that little shit of an MC (I've been assured that he gets better around 40%, but I haven't personally made that determination for myself), now's your chance to give Lawrence another shot.

Second of all, even after reading through it again when I finished the bo
Emma
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-offer
When I started this I was a bit worried.

Actually, it wasn't the start, the prologue was heart-thuddingly, pulse-poundingly exciting:

That opening sentence... Seriously, could you resist the lure of that dark promise??

Then the first chapter.

No child truly believes they will be hanged.

If I could do that scream emoji on here, picture that. It's the kind of beginning that makes you sit up in your seat, tense a
Samantha
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-2018
4.5 stars!
☽Luna☾
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review now up!

4/5

"Or burn bright, take up arms, and fight the bitch.”

This ARC was provided by NetGallery in exchange for an honest review. Release date in Australia is 6th of April 2017

I went into Red Sister with apprehension, because I didn't love this authors other series Broken Empire. So automatically knowing this was a YA I thought I'd hate it. However I got it completely wrong, I actually really enjoyed reading this book and it was actually a fantastic coming of age, YA book. I h
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

My rating is 2.5 stars.

Red Sister is a novel which has (rightly so, in my opinion) been dubbed the new Harry Potter for young adults. And, without a doubt, it follows the familiar pattern of children growing up and being trained by wise teachers at a specialized school for youth; the narrative fully embracing the whole coming-of-age and Chosen One mythos for good measure. Our main character’s unfortunate past and current travails chronicled in excruciating deta
Philip
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5/18 re-read in preparation for Grey Sister. I feel like I need to bump up my rating to 4.5ish stars. There is a lot of nuance I didn’t catch (or didn’t remember at least) from my first read. I especially like the science fictional elements of the world building with the corridor and the ship hearts and the focus moon, etc. Really sets it apart from other high fantasy. Very much looking forward to book 2, again with Heather O’Neil as the (fantastic) audiobook narrator.

—————————————————

4ish st
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)

I'm not going to quote the opening lines as literally everyone else has but suffic
C.G. Drews
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well this was a marvellous conglomeration of all that is stabbtastic and bloody. Although, after reading Prince of Thorns, I actually expected this to be darker than it was! I'll try not to be...disappointed (???) about that so you can maintain the illusion that I am a well-adjusted and normal young human creature who doesn't delight in dark epic fantasy.

(Okay totally lies. I ADORE dark epic fantasy.)

Basically this book has a checklist of all that is awesome:
• assassin nuns who have no chill
• wi
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
~ 22 April 2018 ~
Started Grey Sister, and even though there was a nice recap to start off with, I just couldn't remember enough of the tiny details of the first book. So, grabbed the first one again and reread done and dusted now. Still awesome.

4.5 Stars!

You remember when you were a tiny little girl and did very bad things and because of that found yourself in a convent being trained as a nun specializing in the deadly arts? Yeah, same thing happens to Nona, the star of this story. ;)

"It is imp
Haïfa
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arcs
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Note: I upgraded my rating to 5 because it's been days since I finished this book and the story, the atmosphere and Nona are still with me. The more I think of this book, the more I love it !

A solid 4.5 stars read !

Red Sister is the first book of Mark Lawrence's new series : The Book of the Ancestor. If you haven't read Mark's other trilogies (The Broken Empire and the Red Queen's War), no worries ! Red Sister takes place in an entire
Anthony Ryan
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Given the landmark nature of Mark Lawrence’s Broken Empire books comparisons with his latest offering are inevitable. However, I feel ‘Red Sister’ deserves to be considered on its own merits as the start of a completely new series. Via a third person narrative we follow the exploits of village outcast Nona who finds herself rescued from the gallows at a young age to be raised and educated as a nun in service to the Church of the Ancestor. It shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise to discover t ...more
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Red Sister surprised me in quite a few ways. I’d heard a lot about this author’s Broken Empire Trilogy, and much of the hearsay led me to believe I wouldn’t enjoy those books because of difficult subject-matter. However, when the author offered me a review copy of Red Sister, I decided to accept it… with reservations.

As it turns out, I didn’t need any. Red Sister was a really good first installment of The Ancestor series. What surprised me the most was how beautiful his writing and composition w
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/04/04/...

Readers coming from Mark Lawrence’s The Broken Empire and The Red Queen’s War will find that his new novel Red Sister is a wholly different beast—and not just because we are now venturing into an entirely new universe, completely unrelated to those trilogies. There are other differences as well, like the fact the story is told in the third person, follows a protagonist who is a young girl, and—at least to my eye—does not f
Josiah Bancroft
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By and large, I do not enjoy youthful protagonists. They often strike me as either unbelievably articulate (the moral puppets of middle-aged writers) or believably simple but ultimately uninteresting. Red Sister's Nona bucks the trend: she is both realistic in her limitations and relatable in her vision of this strange and often pitiless world. Nona's story is filled with misguided efforts and big-hearted mistakes. She is both unpredictable and sympathetic. She is the sort of character who I wis ...more
Bradley
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm of two minds with this one.

The things it does well is very, very good... but when it came to my own preferences, I got bogged down in a good and nice long rut of boredom. If I was someone else, someone who really enjoyed a lot and a lot of YA school stuff, then I'd probably go ga-ga over this.

As it is, I enjoyed the writing and the developments, albeit slow developments, of the story.

Sure, it's awesome that it's a school of assassin nuns and the Ancestors and the hints of high-tech and movi
Mitriel
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
***Harry Potter meets Mark Lawrence meets Hayao Miyazaki with a dash of X-men thrown into the mix***

If you think Mark Lawrence has stolen your heart before hold on tight now!

Update: I talk about the trilogy from a beta-reader's perspective here (no spoilers):

Nicole
"It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size."

I went to a Catholic school for 14 years, nuns were the ones responsible there. Naturally, we disliked them, they were mean, heartless, and too strict. However, after this book, all I can say is wow, I wish that was my kind of school! Because you see, these are no ordinary nuns. I mean who would train the students to poison, kill, and destroy? Of course, in self-defense ;)

Meet Nona Grey, the female v
Celeste
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Full review now posted!
You can find this review and more at Booknest.

I was late to the Mark Lawrence game. And I was missing out. Red Sister is Lawrence’s seventh full-length novel, and the first in a new series entitled “Book of the Ancestor.” Reading his other trilogies has definitely made its way onto my agenda, because this book was fantastic. I hope you write quickly, Mr. Lawrence, because I’m dying to read more of Nona’s story.

“There is a thread that runs through all things, that binds eac
Dannii Elle
Meet Nona Grey. She is not yet ten years old and is already awaiting her execution. And the man she murdered put her there. As she is poised, ready to face the hangman's noose, her saviour arrives in the form of Abbess Glass. Her salvation is the Sweet Mercy Convent, which transforms young girls into fierce warriors, who fight in the name of the holy Ancestors. Her choices are to swing or to train.

She chooses to train. She tries to forget about her blood-soaked past, the monster hidden inside he
TS Chan
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Buddy Read with my awesome neighbouring friend, Petrik.

I have read both of Mark Lawrence’s Broken Empire and Red Queen’s War trilogies and appreciated how he tended to write atypical main protagonists. So from a psychopath to a womanising coward, Lawrence surprises again - this time with a young girl being trained into a killer in a convent of badass nuns with kickass abilities.

Red Sister was ultimately a coming-of-age story, not someth
  • Skullsworn (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne #0.5)
  • The Evaporation of Sofi Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Cerulean  (Untitled Duology #1)
  • Norse Mythology
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Between the Blade and the Heart (Valkyrie, #1)
  • Snared (Elemental Assassin, #16)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • The Valiant (The Valiant, #1)
  • One Blood Ruby (Seven Black Diamonds, #2)
  • Untitled (Starters #3)
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • City of Miracles (The Divine Cities, #3)
  • Devils & Thieves (Devils & Thieves, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • The Hearts We Sold

Pintrest!

& Instagram

Mark Lawrence
More about Mark Lawrence

Book of the Ancestor (3 books)
  • Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
“A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one. Treat them with respect.” 144 likes
“Your death has not been waiting for your arrival at the appointed hour: it has, for all the years of your life, been racing towards you with the fierce velocity of time's arrow. It cannot be evaded, it cannot be bargained with, deflected or placated. All that is given to you is the choice: meet it with open eyes and peace in your heart, go gentle to your reward. Or burn bright, take up arms, and fight the bitch.” 50 likes