Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

2019 Read Harder Challenge > Task #2: An alternate history novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Book Riot (new)

Book Riot Community (book_riot) | 430 comments Mod
Use this space to discuss books you're reading or that might fit the 2nd Read Harder task.

message 3: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 88 comments I'm planning on either the next in the Temeraire series (I think I am at #3), Dread Nation, or River of Teeth.

message 4: by Allie (last edited Dec 17, 2018 10:44AM) (new)

Allie (allieeveryday) I just found The Calculating Stars, which is the first one I've gotten excited about. Also considered Dread Nation.

For those who haven't read it and enjoy a little Tudor silliness, My Lady Jane is a fun one.

message 6: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (kimirons) | 30 comments How far does ‘alternate history’ stretch? I started reading Mark Hodder’s Burton and Swinburne series last year which is an alternate Victorian era (where Victoria is assassinated and time travel and steampunk are the name of the game), is this on the nose for this task? If so I’ll get the next one!

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 38 comments Kimberley wrote: "How far does ‘alternate history’ stretch? I started reading Mark Hodder’s Burton and Swinburne series last year which is an alternate Victorian era (where Victoria is assassinated and time travel a..."

I'm going with something along the same lines: Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot so I think it is right on task!

message 8: by ✨ A ✨ (new)

✨ A ✨  (az_youread) Any YA suggestions?
(I've already read My Lady Jane)

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane (janojanojano) | 3 comments Azrah wrote: "Any YA suggestions?
(I've already read My Lady Jane)"

You could try Wolf by Wolf which I read for a Reader Harder challenge a few years ago - it's set in the 1950s after WW2 was won by the Axis powers.

message 11: by Bonnie G. (last edited Dec 26, 2018 04:10PM) (new)

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin Perry Willis | 5 comments I am planning to read The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander. I love her writing style and was planning to read this anyway, so I'm thrilled that it fits this prompt.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeww) | 116 comments 11/22/63 ought to fit

message 14: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha D (windmillstilt) | 49 comments Kimberley wrote: "How far does ‘alternate history’ stretch? I started reading Mark Hodder’s Burton and Swinburne series last year which is an alternate Victorian era (where Victoria is assassinated and time travel a..."

Yes, this counts. =)

message 15: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha D (windmillstilt) | 49 comments I'm choosing River of Teeth for this one, but some others that fit this task are(note: some are series but I've only listed the first in each):

Dread Nation
The Black God's Drums
First Light
The Dragon Ring
Stardust
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
The Last Werewolf
Chasing the Star Garden
Jackaby
The Bear and the Nightingale
Marvel 1602

In Romance specifically I can think of:
Tanya Anne Crosby has some stuff like her Guardians of the Stone books, her Highland Brides books. . .
The Duchess War
The Girl Who Stepped Into The Past

(I know there are others, but it is late and my mind's blanking. . . if I think of more I'll come back)

message 16: by Melissa0919 (new)

Melissa0919 Renee wrote: "11/22/63 ought to fit"

Thank you for the idea.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna | 7 comments I'll probably wrap up the Unwind series with UnDivided. I'm not sure I can recommend it, though, lol. It's not great writing, but it's a good enough plot I keep going back for more.

message 18: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Sammons | 4 comments For YA, there's Front Lines. It's about world war II if the army allowed girls to fight active duty

message 19: by Fourevver (new)

Fourevver | 5 comments Fatherland is one of my favourites

message 20: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) | 17 comments The Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling looks good to me.

message 21: by Melody (new)

Melody | 4 comments The Bear and the Nightingale would qualify as alternate history? It's been on my to-read list, and I'd love to use it if it does, but i can't tell from the description.

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 357 comments A Darker Shade of Magic ya, fantasy
Lies Sleeping urban fantasy
A School for Unusual Girls ya, historical fiction, fantasy
Methuselah's Children sf

message 23: by Henriette (new)

Henriette Terkelsen (henrietteterkelsen) | 0 comments Half Life is my pick.

message 24: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 177 comments Right now, it's looking like The Yiddish Policemen's Union, The Man in the High Castle, or Karen Memory for me. Though I have so many to choose from, it's anybody's guess what will win out in the end.

message 25: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha D (windmillstilt) | 49 comments Oh, I'm not sure how I forgot to suggest this one. It was one of my fav reads this year.

Sunshine

It is such a good book. Highly recommend it.

message 26: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha D (windmillstilt) | 49 comments Teresa wrote: "A Darker Shade of Magic ya, fantasy
"

A Darker Shade of Magic is adult, not YA. The author writes adult stuff under V.E. Schwab and her YA stuff under Victoria Schwab. Just don't want anyone to mix that up.

message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 357 comments Tabitha, indeed she has. I saw that 1600+ people shelved it as YA, but I prefer going by the author's intent. Thank you.

message 28: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 48 comments I'll maybe try Plan D by Simon Urban (the Berlin Wall never fell, the GDR still exists in 2011). It also has less than 100 reviews & the English edition was translated from German by a woman (Katy Derbyshire).

My other options are Everfair by Nisi Shawl, Through Darkest Europe by Harry Turtledove and River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey.

message 29: by Maddy (new)

Maddy Buell | 23 comments Here to recommend The Man in the High Carole- a classic, GREAT read

message 30: by Hope (new)

Hope Fallout fits so that's what I'm reading!

message 31: by Nina (new)

Nina (nossanna) | 8 comments if you are a Kim Stanley Robinson fan, I loved Years of Rice and Salt.

message 32: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (madelinewagner) | 29 comments I read a number of Harry Turtledove's alt-WWII books in high school and his Through Darkest Europe came out this year and sounds very interesting.

message 33: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1354 comments Tabitha wrote: "I'm choosing River of Teeth for this one, but some others that fit this task are(note: some are series but I've only listed the first in each):

Dread Nation
[book:T..."

Is Stardust alternate history? I have seen the film but wanted to read the book too and would love if it fit this prompt, but I don't recall it being alternate history at all. Please say I am misremembering.

message 34: by Ady (new)

Ady (adyreader) My pick is Dread Nation and I am REALLY looking forward to this one!

message 35: by Charity (last edited Dec 27, 2018 12:18PM) (new)

Charity | 11 comments Bonnie wrote: "Tabitha wrote: "I'm choosing River of Teeth for this one, but some others that fit this task are(note: some are series but I've only listed the first in each):

[book:Dread Nation|3..."

It's been years, but I don't remember Stardust being remotely Alternate History. It's just straight up fantasy IIRC.

It might also be a stretch to consider Marvel 1602 as alternate history. (And personal opinion, as much as I adore Gaiman, it also wasn't very good, honestly.)

message 36: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1354 comments Thanks Charity. Its been on my tbr for ages. But maybe I will give it a pass.

message 37: by Elin (new)

Elin Ravnås | 1 comments Would you call Stalking Jack the Ripper an Alternate History?

message 38: by Heather (new)

Heather (heather1212) | 6 comments I've had The Underground Railroad on my To Read pile forever.

message 39: by Meryl (last edited Jan 21, 2019 09:03AM) (new)

Meryl | 2 comments The Mirage by Matt Ruff is a great alternate reality book that focuses on the Middle East. It really shifts today's perspective, making Iraq the center of power and different Christian sects are labeled as 'terrorists'.

message 40: by Kdmorton (last edited Dec 28, 2018 04:17PM) (new)

Kdmorton | 10 comments I'm going with either Dread Nation or American War.

Edit: just realized as I posted that American War is not eligible... womp. Will probably still read.

message 41: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 3 comments Cobweb Bride is a book I read years ago and loved, then at least.

Cobweb Bride is a history-flavored fantasy novel with romantic elements of the Persephone myth, about Death's ultimatum to the world.

In an alternate Renaissance world, somewhere in an imaginary "pocket" of Europe called the Kingdom of Lethe, Death comes, in the form of a grim Spaniard, to claim his Bride. Until she is found, in a single time-stopping moment all dying stops. There is no relief for the mortally wounded and the terminally ill....

Anna (lion_reads) I read Sputnik's Children in 2018 and recommend it, if anyone is still looking for their alt. history pick.

message 44: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (andromache) | 35 comments (Disclaimer: My friend wrote this book but I do think it's a genuinely good choice for this task.)

From Unseen Fire is an alternate history of Rome where there's magic/mages. It also has Remus founding Rome instead of Romulus. If anyone has read Kushiel's Legacy it kind of has worldbuilding like that. i.e. There's magic and the founding myths of each nation are a little different than they are today. Worth a read if you like something that delves into how magic might change a society, and also if you are just into historical-fantasy with tons and tons of characters.

message 45: by Angela (new)

Angela | 4 comments what about The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories? it's an anthology of alternate history short stories. it also only has 43 reviews at the time of posting, so would work for challenge #9

message 46: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 9 comments I loved River of Teeth this year, so I'll be going with book 2 Taste of Marrow for this one.

message 47: by Julianne (new)

Julianne Beach (julib11) | 1 comments I have Turtledoves Blood and Iron for this one. It was confusing since I thought it was first in the series, but it's really not. It's the first in a trilogy, but as part of a larger series. I
think is enjoy it more of i had a better background for the characters and events.

message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Severance is fantastic and would work well for this task (it's set in an alternate 2011).

message 49: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Kelly | 45 comments I'd recommend Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld or The Rewind Files by Claire Willet.

Leviathan is an alternative WW1 where Axis has mechas and Allied has advanced genetic breeding/manipulation

The Rewind Files is an alternative timeline/time travel book where Watergate never happened. Highly reccomend!

message 50: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Kelly | 45 comments i'm also making a compilation list of everyone's suggestions for each task if that's easier for people c:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

« previous 1 3 4