Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Your end of year top 5 - 10 AUSSIE AUTHOR titles of 2018

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69432 comments Mod

With 2018 coming to an end it means that here in Aussie Readers it's time to reflect on all the books you have read during the year and try to come up with your top 5 - 10 Aussie author books for 2018.

The books didn't have to be released this year but only to be read.

For anyone who wants to have their memory refreshed, Here is the link to the mid year top 5 to 10 thread - see if any on your list then have made it to your list now.

My choices in no particular order

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
Whitsunday Dawn by Annie Seaton
Beneath the Mother Tree by D.M. Cameron
Nature Of The Lion by T.M. Clark
The Lost Valley by Jennifer Scoullar
The Lost Pearl by Emily Madden
The Lost Man by Jane Harper
The Queen's Colonial by Peter Watt
A Model Wife by Maggie Christensen

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I completely agree with you Sally - I've read both and they're good!!

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Some great choices there Odette :)

message 7: by Odette (new)

Odette (odman) | 942 comments Brenda wrote: "Some great choices there Odette :)"

Thanks, Brenda. Enjoyed reading them all.

message 8: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) | 859 comments Sally906 wrote: "My Aussie top 10 for 2018 is:

The Opal Dragonfly by Julian Leatherdale The Opal Dragonfly by Julian Leatherdale
Sanctuary by Judy Nunn [book:Sanctuary|3521..."

I haven't read Beneath the Mother Tree but I agree that Sanctuary was an excellent read, Sally. It dealt with a controversial social issue with great delicacy in my opinion.

message 9: by MaryG2E (last edited Dec 18, 2018 02:23AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) | 859 comments This is a list of my 5 and 4.5 star ratings for Aussie authors read in 2019 (in no particular order). To my mind, Geraldine Brooks and Alex Miller are world-class writers, and their books really touched me deeply.

The Household Guide To Dying by Debra Adelaide
Coal Creek by Alex Miller
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
2028 by Ken Saunders
Bluebottle by Belinda Castles
Past the Shallows by Favel Parrett
The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith
The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood
The Unmourned by Meg Keneally and Tom Keneally
The Lone Child by Anna George

The Household Guide to Dying by Debra Adelaide Coal Creek by Alex Miller Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks 2028 by Ken Saunders Bluebottle by Belinda Castles Past the Shallows by Favel Parrett The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood The Unmourned (The Monsarrat Series #2) by Meg Keneally The Lone Child by Anna George

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments So many good ones... But the ones that came in at 4-5 stars and stayed with me (approximately in order of reading) are:
A Life Underwater by Charlie Veron by Charlie Veron
Closing Down by Sally Abbott by Sally Abbott
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton by Kate Morton
Breath by Tim Winton by Tim Winton
Tower of Thorns (Blackthorn & Grim, #2) by Juliet Marillier by Juliet Marillier
Dyschronia by Jennifer Mills by Jennifer Mills
The Lace Weaver by Lauren Chater by Lauren Chater
The Yellow House by Emily O'Grady by Emily O'Grady
The Shepherd's Hut by Tim Winton by Tim Winton
The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton by Kate Morton

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments MaryG2E wrote: "This is a list of my 5 and 4.5 star ratings for Aussie authors read in 2019 (in no particular order). To my mind, Geraldine Brooks and Alex Miller are world-class writers, and their books really to..."

Bluebottle was one I hoped to win an advance on and past the shallows is sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me to get to it; good reviews.

message 12: by Mell (last edited Dec 18, 2018 05:34PM) (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) | 331 comments I didn't read many AA books this year, but these two were standouts for me:

In the Quiet
Am I Doing This Right? : Life Lessons from the Encyclopedia Bri-Tanya
In the Quiet by Eliza Henry-Jones Am I Doing This Right? Life Lessons from the Encyclopedia Bri-Tanya by Tanya Hennessy

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3496 comments Sally906 wrote: "My Aussie top 10 for 2018 is:

The Opal Dragonfly by Julian Leatherdale The Opal Dragonfly by Julian Leatherdale
Sanctuary by Judy Nunn..."

I agree, Sally - Sanctuary was fantastic!

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3496 comments Deborah wrote: "So many good ones... But the ones that came in at 4-5 stars and stayed with me (approximately in order of reading) are:
A Life Underwater by Charlie Veron by Charlie Veron..."

I agree with your 2 Kate Mortons, Deborah! And I read The Lace Weaver this year as well, although it didn't make it into my top reads, but it was an interesting story. But I read it at about the same time as Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys and the 2 stories are somewhat linked in my mind (both about Stalinist oppression of smaller countries like Lithuania or Estonia and how people lived in WWII)!

message 16: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) | 859 comments Deborah wrote: "MaryG2E wrote: "This is a list of my 5 and 4.5 star ratings for Aussie authors read in 2019 (in no particular order). To my mind, Geraldine Brooks and Alex Miller are world-class writers, and their..."

Deborah, Bluebottle is deceptively simple in its writing, and for me it held me in suspense regarding the disappearance of a school girl at Avalon. The recent screening of the ABC TV show "Barrenjoey Road" made it all feel more real too. And for anyone looking for a story set at Christmas time, this one fits the criterion.

message 17: by Trish L (new)

Trish L | 114 comments Here goes with my Australian selection of best and most enjoyable reads for 2018 - in no particular order of preference:

the Year of living dangerously by Christopher Koch The Year of Living Dangerously The Year of Living Dangerously by Christopher J. Koch

The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey The Dark Lake The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey

Lunch with the Stationmaster by Derek Hanson Lunch With The Stationmaster Lunch With The Stationmaster by Derek Hansen

The Ship that never was by Adam Courtney The Ship that Never Was: The Greatest Escape Story Of Australian Colonial History The Ship that Never Was The Greatest Escape Story Of Australian Colonial History by Adam Courtenay

The fabulous Flying Mrs Miller by Carol Baxter The Fabulous Flying Mrs Miller The Fabulous Flying Mrs Miller by Carol Baxter

Scrublands by Chris Hammer Scrublands Scrublands by Chris Hammer

Deception by Michael Meehan Deception Deception by Michael Meehan

The Shepherds Hut by Tim Winton The Shepherd's Hut The Shepherd's Hut by Tim Winton

message 19: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1620 comments Here are the Aussie authors that scored the elusive 5 stars from me!!

The Three Secret Cities by Matthew Reilly
Graevale by Lynette Noni
Contest by Matthew Reilly (This was a re-read but it's still one of my favourite books of all time)
A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews
Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth

The Three Secret Cities (Jack West Jr #5) by Matthew Reilly Graevale (The Medoran Chronicles, #4) by Lynette Noni Contest by Matthew Reilly A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth

And an honourable mention to these 4 star books that stuck with me:

The Lost Man by Jane Harper
The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton
Cedar Valley by Holly Throsby
Beneath the Mother Tree by D.M. Cameron

The Lost Man by Jane Harper The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton Cedar Valley by Holly Throsby Beneath the Mother Tree by D.M. Cameron

Had such a great year for AAs and have much to thank A&U for! I'm also going to try and squeeze in Nevermoor The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1) by Jessica Townsend before the end of the year so good to see it on a few lists!

message 20: by L A i N E Y ~back in a bit~ (last edited Dec 24, 2018 06:37PM) (new)

L A i N E Y ~back in a bit~ (ohlainey) | 122 comments I didn’t read as many Aussie authors as I hoped this year (sad face here) but in my defense I did get pulled into a months-long reading slump so. This is my top reads:

▪️A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley
▪️The Dry by Jane Harper
▪️The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1) by Jane Harper The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

message 22: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Some excellent reads there Brooke!

Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews (onewomansbbr) | 381 comments Krystal wrote: "Here are the Aussie authors that scored the elusive 5 stars from me!!"

Hey Krystal, I just read Cedar Valley by Holly Throsby today and I'd definitely give it 5 stars and have to put it in my top Aussie Author reads of the year - what a read!

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I like the look of your three Meg Keneally in there Kerri! I'm starting with #1 in January :)

message 27: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 391 comments Brenda wrote: "I like the look of your three Meg Keneally in there Kerri! I'm starting with #1 in January :)"

Yes, they were a good find for me this year, hope you enjoy also :)

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks - lots of my friends have loved them, so I'm pretty hopeful :)

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1615 comments I've read loads of really good Australian books this year, but my top picks are:

On the Java Ridge by Jock Serong
The Fragments by Toni Jordan
Chromatopia: An Illustrated History of Color by David Coles

On the Java Ridge by Jock Serong The Fragments by Toni Jordan Chromatopia An Illustrated History of Color by David Coles

message 30: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1620 comments Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews wrote: "Krystal wrote: "Here are the Aussie authors that scored the elusive 5 stars from me!!"

Hey Krystal, I just read Cedar Valley by Holly Throsby today and I'd defini..."

Yes I thoroughly enjoyed that one! More than I was expecting, if I'm honest!! Glad you enjoyed it, too!

message 32: by Kylie (new)

message 35: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I have a few of those to look forward to in 2019 Carolyn :)

message 36: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) | 859 comments Brenda wrote: "I like the look of your three Meg Keneally in there Kerri! I'm starting with #1 in January :)"

I hope you will enjoy them Brenda. I thought the series was excellent and gave insights into our early colonial history as well as being good mysteries.

message 37: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm looking forward to #1 in January Mary, have #2 eyed off at the library, and own #3 on kindle :)

message 38: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7970 comments Brenda wrote: "I like the look of your three Meg Keneally in there Kerri! I'm starting with #1 in January :)"

I'll be joining you in starting this series this year Brenda :)

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Great - I'm looking forward to the first one :)

message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Some great reads there Marlin :)