Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Your mid-year top 5 - 10 titles of 2018 - AUSTRALIAN Authors only!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 72266 comments Mod

With another year already half over here at Aussie Readers it's that time again to list your top 5 - 10 Aussie author titles to end June 2018. The books don't have to be released this year but only to be read.

My list - in no particular order...

Wolfsangel by Liza Perrat Wolfsangel by Liza Perrat
The Paris Seamstress by Natasha Lester The Paris Seamstress by Natasha Lester
Bloodtree River by Sarah Barrie Bloodtree River by Sarah Barrie
The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart by Holly Ringland The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart by Holly Ringland
A Month of Sundays by Liz Byrski A Month of Sundays by Liz Byrski
Nevermoor The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1) by Jessica Townsend Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
Fool's Gold (Detective Dave Burrows #1) by Fleur McDonald Fool's Gold by Fleur McDonald
The Peacock Summer by Hannah Richell The Peacock Summer by Hannah Richell

message 5: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
The Dark Lakeby Sarah Bailey
The Jade Lily by Kirsty Manning
Jasper Jones
Sixty Seconds: How long is the road to forgiveness? by Jesse Blackadder
In no particular order.

message 9: by Trish L (new)

Trish L | 123 comments Not had a lot of luck with Aussie authors so far this year. A couple of the eagerly awaited 'must read' latest and greatest have left me totally underwhelmed but I have got lucky with these

The Dark Lake The Dark Lake The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey

Selection Day Selection Day Selection Day by Aravind Adiga

The Year of Living Dangerously The Year of Living Dangerously The Year of Living Dangerously by Christopher J. Koch

Lunch with the Stationmaster Lunch With The Stationmaster Lunch With The Stationmaster by Derek Hansen

The Ship that Never Was The Ship that Never Was: The Greatest Escape Story Of Australian Colonial History The Ship that Never Was The Greatest Escape Story Of Australian Colonial History by Adam Courtenay

message 10: by Suzie (new)

Suzie | 382 comments My list of Australian favourites so far:
No Limits by Ellie Marney by Ellie Marney
The Hate Race by Maxine Beneba Clarke by Maxine Beneba Clarke
The Sidekicks by Will Kostakis by Will Kostakis
Fair Game The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia by Steve Cannane by Steve Cannane
Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley by Cath Crowley

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (goodreadscomsusanaustralia) | 427 comments My top 2018 Aussie reads so far are:

Water Under the Bridge by Sumner Locke Elliott — I think this is an overlooked Australian masterpiece
The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose
The Butterfly Man, also by Heather Rose
Vertigo by Amanda Lohrey
Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton — I started reading this one only this morning, but I'm very impressed!

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3536 comments Not as many 5★ reads in my Aussie author list as my non-Aussie list, but still some really good solid reads.

Forgotten by Nicole Trope - 5★
Web of Deceit by Katherine Howell - 4.5★
A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay by Ashley Hay - 4.5★ (which I just noticed has another cover - why on earth would publishers, even in another country, want to swap this cover for A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay ??? They don't even begin to compare in terms of appeal! What's wrong with the jacarandas??!)
Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer - 4★
The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey - 4★
Into the Night by Sarah Bailey - 4★
Force of Nature by Jane Harper - 4★

Forgotten by Nicole Trope Web of Deceit (Detective Ella Marconi #6) by Katherine Howell A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey Into the Night by Sarah Bailey Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) by Jane Harper

message 14: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I agree Kathryn - the jacaranda cover is beautiful!

message 15: by MaryG2E (last edited Jun 25, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) | 878 comments I've read quite a lot of AAs already this year, and the standouts, 5★ reads, in no particular order are:

The Lone Child by Anna George
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
The Unmourned by Meg Keneally
Past the Shallows by Favel Parrett
PLUS
What I think is the best book overall that I've read this year so far:
The Household Guide To Dying by Debra Adelaide 5++ ★s
The Lone Child by Anna George Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks The Unmourned (The Monsarrat Series #2) by Meg Keneally Past the Shallows by Favel Parrett The Household Guide to Dying by Debra Adelaide

message 16: by MaryG2E (last edited Jun 25, 2018 06:03AM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) | 878 comments Michael wrote: "My top 5 in no particular order are

Nevermoor The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1) by Jessica TownsendNevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

[bookco..."

Michael, The Eye of the Sheep was a favourite of mine last year. A brilliant book.

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

MaryG2E wrote: "I've read quite a lot of AAs already this year, and the standouts, 5★ reads, in no particular order are:

The Lone Child by Anna George
[book:Caleb's Crossing|96845..."

Isn't it funny how we differ - your 2018 favourite I tossed. Couldn't get into it so didn't even record that I'd started it :)

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3536 comments Brenda wrote: "I agree Kathryn - the jacaranda cover is beautiful!"

I don't understand why anyone would change this? I understand changing covers to appeal to different cultures, but why wouldn't this appeal to readers in other countries?? It boggles my mind!

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The publishers of each country have to change it for some stupid reason - boggles my mind too. I actually think Australia's covers are some of the best when compared to other countries. I think of the In Death series with J.D. Robb - the US covers are so boring!

message 20: by Kathryn (last edited Jun 25, 2018 08:42PM) (new)

Kathryn | 3536 comments Brenda wrote: "The publishers of each country have to change it for some stupid reason - boggles my mind too. I actually think Australia's covers are some of the best when compared to other countries. I think of ..."

Maybe it's some financial reason - like there's a budget for covers when a book gets published overseas so they figure they may as well use it... But when it's a gorgeous cover like the jacaranda version of A Hundred Small Lessons, I think they're just shooting themselves in the foot. I might not have even looked twice at a book with this cover:
A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Totally agree Kathryn!

message 22: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3536 comments Brenda wrote: "Totally agree Kathryn!"

And talk about a Freudian slip - I meant to write "shooting themselves in the foot" above and typed book instead of foot! All fixed now!

message 23: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I thought you did - but also thought it fitted perfectly ;)

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Only two out of that lot that I haven't read Carolyn :) Great reads!

message 27: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8435 comments I'm guessing Obsidio and The Girl in Kellers Way, Brenda?

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Well done! Are you psychic?? lol

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1754 comments I held back from making my list until now, because I was reading something that I thought was a contender (I was right)

On the Java Ridge - top Aussie read so far
The Ruin
Two Steps Forward
The Tattooist of Auschwitz
The Portrait of Molly Dean
The Jade Lily

On the Java Ridge by Jock Serong The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1) by Dervla McTiernan Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris The Portrait of Molly Dean by Katherine Kovacic The Jade Lily by Kirsty Manning

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Good choices there Andrea - only one I haven't read :)

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1894 comments Brenda wrote: "The publishers of each country have to change it for some stupid reason - boggles my mind too. I actually think Australia's covers are some of the best when compared to other countries. I think of ..."

I agree! Some of the Australian artwork is really well planned, suited to the story and artistic, then it goes to another country and becomes meh.

message 33: by Deborah (last edited Jul 04, 2018 04:34PM) (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1894 comments A bit late to this party; story of my 2018. Selling myhome, new job, hours commute each day, ect ect.

My Australian top book this year so far are:

Breath by Tim Winton
Breath by Tim Winton

The Shepherd's Hut by Tim Winton
The Shepherd's Hut byTim Winton

A Life Underwater by Charlie Veron
A Life Underwater by Charlie Veron

Closing Down by Sally Abbott
Closing Down by Sally Abbott

The Lace Weaver by Lauren Chater
The Lace Weaver by Lauren Chater

The Yellow House by Emily O'Grady
The Yellow House byEmily O'Grady

The Power Game (The Monsarrat series, #3) by Meg Keneally
The Power Game by Tom AND Meg Keneally (Can I say how much it annoys me GR does not acknowledge dual authors?)

I only gave this one four stars - but it stayed with me...

Dyschronia by Jennifer Mills
Dyschronia by Jennifer Mills

And, this next one is nowhere near as polished as the others, but I really got into it and the story stayed with me and made me think a lot....
If Kisses Cured Cancer by T.S. Hawken
If Kisses Cured Cancer by T.S. Hawken

The Woolgrower’s Companion by Joy Rhoades
The Woolgrower’s Companion by Joy Rhoades

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Deborah wrote: "A bit late to this party; story of my 2018. Selling myhome, new job, hours commute each day, ect ect.

My Australian top book this year so far are:

The Power Game by Tom AND Meg Keneally (Can I say how much it annoys me GR does not acknowledge dual authors?)..."

That one you've linked has both authors Deb...

message 35: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 727 comments I have only read one but it was very, very good.

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Yes I agree about that one Jazzy :)

message 38: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kyliemaree) | 878 comments There are some amazing reads listed here everyone! And plenty on that ever-growing and never-ending TBR! :)

Onto my belated favourite mid-year Aussie reads... which I found a little harder to decide upon than the International reads. These are again in no particular order. :)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
Mackenzie Crossing by Kaye Dobbie
A Letter from Italy by Pamela Hart
A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald by Natasha Lester
Malicious Intent by Kathryn Fox
The Inaugural Meeting of the Fairvale Ladies Book Club by Sophie Green
Thornwood House by Anna Romer
Forgotten by Nicole Trope
A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay
The Secret Heiress by Luke Devenish

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton Mackenzie Crossing by Kaye Dobbie A Letter from Italy by Pamela Hart A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald by Natasha Lester Malicious Intent (Dr. Anya Crichton, #1) by Kathryn Fox The Inaugural Meeting of the Fairvale Ladies Book Club by Sophie Green Thornwood House by Anna Romer Forgotten by Nicole Trope A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay The Secret Heiress by Luke Devenish

message 39: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kyliemaree) | 878 comments Kathryn wrote: "Brenda wrote: "The publishers of each country have to change it for some stupid reason - boggles my mind too. I actually think Australia's covers are some of the best when compared to other countri..."

I 100% agree with both you lovely ladies here Kathryn - the jacaranda cover leaves nothing but a trail of long gone dust in comparison to the other one! It's stunning! I didn't include it as the V for Vivid cover in the A-Z challenge for nothing! ;) And, as it panned out, is one of my Aussie highlights so far! :)

message 40: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3536 comments Kylie wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Brenda wrote: "The publishers of each country have to change it for some stupid reason - boggles my mind too. I actually think Australia's covers are some of the best when compared ..."

I used it for my V for Vivid cover as well!!