2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Group Reads > The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 30, 2019 06:50AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10429 comments Mod
We will begin reading the first series in January 2019 and will read one book a month until both are completed.

About the Series
The Infernal Devices
This is a prequel trilogy to The Mortal Instruments, which is set in the same universe but set in the Victorian era. It consists of three books.

The Mortal Instruments
This is a series of six young adult fantasy novels. It follows Clary Fray (who interacts with a group of nephilim known as Shadowhunters) while also discovering her own heritage. The Shadowhunters protect the world of mundane people, who are also called mundanes or "mundies", from dark forces beyond their world.

The series has become one of the most popular within the young adult genre of paranormal romance/urban fantasy, but Clare did not originally intend to write the series for teens. When she began writing City of Bones, inspired by the urban landscape of Manhattan, she did not view it as a young adult work, but first and foremost as a fantasy novel, where the main characters just happened to be teenagers. When she was approached by a publisher interested in aging up her characters, she ultimately decided that she "wanted to tell a story about characters at that crucial life stage just between adolescence and adulthood, where your choices determine the kind of person you're going to be rather than reflecting who you already are." The decision to launch her novels as Young Adult books has propelled Clare to the top of the Bestsellers list and has established The Shadowhunter Chronicles as some of the most popular works read by a largely young adult audience.

About the Author
Cassandra Clare was born Judith Rumelt, to American parentswas born to American parents in Teheran, Iran and spent much of her childhood travelling the world with her family, including one trek through the Himalayas as a toddler where she spent a month living in her father’s backpack. She lived in France, England and Switzerland before she was ten years old.

Since her family moved around so much she found familiarity in books and went everywhere with a book under her arm. She spent her high school years in Los Angeles where she used to write stories to amuse her classmates, including an epic novel called “The Beautiful Cassandra” based on a Jane Austen short story of the same name (and which later inspired her current pen name).

After college, Cassie lived in Los Angeles and New York where she worked at various entertainment magazines and even some rather suspect tabloids where she reported on Brad and Angelina’s world travels and Britney Spears’ wardrobe malfunctions. She started working on her YA novel, City of Bones, in 2004, inspired by the urban landscape of Manhattan, her favorite city. She turned to writing fantasy fiction full time in 2006 and hopes never to have to write about Paris Hilton again.

Cassie’s first professional writing sale was a short story called “The Girl’s Guide to Defeating the Dark Lord” in a Baen anthology of humor fantasy.

While living in Los Angeles, Clare began writing fan fiction using the name Cassandra Claire. The Draco Trilogy, based on Harry Potter and The Very Secret Diaries, based on The Lord of the Rings were popular. However, she deleted her fan fiction from the Internet shortly before her first novel was published under the name Cassandra Clare.

Cassie hates working at home alone because she always gets distracted by reality TV shows and the antics of her two cats, so she usually sets out to write in local coffee shops and restaurants. She likes to work in the company of her friends, who see that she sticks to her deadlines.

Recommended Reading Order
The author and quite a few readers recommend reading the two series as follows: First three books of The Mortal Instruments; then The Infernal Devices 3-book series; and then the last three books of

Here are links to the Goodreads reader responses to the question and an outside resource:

https://www.goodreads.com/questions/2...

https://rivetedlit.com/2018/08/27/cas...

Series List
The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices
1. City of Bones (TMI) (January) Book Discussion
2. City of Ashes (TMI) (February) Book Discussion
3. City of Glass (TMI) (March) Book Discussion
4. Clockwork Angel (TIF) (April) Book Discussion
5. Clockwork Prince (TIF) (May) Book Discussion
6. Clockwork Princess (TIF) (June) Book Discussion
7. City of Fallen Angels (TMI) (July) Book Discussion
8. City of Lost Souls (TMI) (August) Book Discussion
9. City of Heavenly Fire (TMI) (September) Book Discussion
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) by Cassandra Clare City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

I took the liberty of adding the prequel series. Please let me know your thoughts.

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 146 comments Sounds good to me. I've been meaning to finally read beyond City of Glass, and this would be the perfect opportunity ^^

message 4: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Yay, I'm so excited! I've never done a group read with this group before! Looking forward to it.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

I’m glad you’re joining in, Jessika!

message 6: by Lauren (last edited Dec 16, 2018 08:59AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4017 comments Mod
Looks good!

Will we read the Infernal Devices before Mortal Instruments?

There is a discussion here about it that may help us decide:

Should I read Infernal Devices before Mortal Instruments

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

Thank you, Lauren. That is immensely helpful.

The majority say the first three books of The Mortal Instruments should be read first, then The Infernal Devices series next and then the last three books (which is what Giulia recommended in the Voting topic). They provide compelling reasons for following this order.

Is that everyone else’s feeling about the matter?

message 8: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments I'm very excited to finally start this series. City of Fallen Angels has been sitting on my shelf since I received it as a Christmas gift years ago, but I've always been too intimidated by the 6 books I have to read to get to it. This is the perfect opportunity :D

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Yay! Glad you'll be joining in on the discussions, Giulia.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1269 comments I'm glad that you decided to add The Infernal Devices into the mix. This was how I was hoping to read them.

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

I had a lot of help! I didn’t know about the prequel until this am and then started to scramble looking for guidance. Should have started with our members☺️

message 12: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 630 comments I am glad that this series won. I want to read it one day, we will see when I actually do!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4017 comments Mod
I've actually read the first Mortal Instruments (City of Bones), so I'm OK with reading the first 3 MI books then Infernal Devices and then the final 3 MI books as most people seem to recommend.

message 14: by Lieke (last edited Dec 17, 2018 12:33AM) (new)

Lieke | 1027 comments I read them (this year) in publication order:
Cty of Bones
City of Ashes
City of Glass
Clockwork Angel
City of Fallen Angels
Clockwork Prince
City of Lost Souls
Clockwork Princess
City of Heavenly Fire

but the order you have now works too.

I still have The Bane Chronicles and Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy to read.
And I want to read The Dark Artifices Series.

message 15: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 600 comments I think I will give this one a try. I'll check library for availability right now.