Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Bookopoly - Awards Edition > Man Booker Prize - Book Requests

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Welcome to the Man Booker Prize, "the leading literary award in the English speaking world, and [which] has brought recognition, reward and readership to outstanding fiction for five decades"!

Please post your book requests here, and feel free to check out winners and nominees of the Man Booker Prize on this shelf.

message 2: by PAS, Moderator AC (new)

PAS (Mods) (pasmods) | 627 comments Mod
Congratulations, Ashley!

Your silent partner for this enterprise is Tien. Please PM her if you should be offline for more than 48 hours. Otherwise, she will also monitor and respond to requests if not responded to (sometimes real life can takeover), after 48 hours.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Hi Ashley! I'm happy to be your first visitor. Please pick three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf when you have a second. Thanks!

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Amy wrote: "Hi Ashley! I'm happy to be your first visitor. Please pick three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf when you have a second. Thanks!"

I'm glad to have a visitor. How about these?

The Clockmaker's Daughter - I want to read this too.
The Night Bird - Sounds intriguing.
Bridge of Clay - I've heard mixed reviews, though I loved The Book Thief and I Am the Messenger.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Ashley wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hi Ashley! I'm happy to be your first visitor. Please pick three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf when you have a second. Thanks!"

I'm glad to have a visitor. How about these?

I've got to read The Night Bird by the end of the month for Wheel of Bookshelves, so I'll go with that one. I have the other two on hold at the library too. Great picks!

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Amy wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hi Ashley! I'm happy to be your first visitor. Please pick three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf when you have a second. Thanks!"

I'm glad to have a visitor. How about these?..."

Then that's perfect. I hope you enjoy it.

message 7: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 543 comments Hi Ashley!

Can I please have couple of picks from my shelf?
Thanks! ☺

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "Hi Ashley!

Can I please have couple of picks from my shelf?
Thanks! ☺"

Here's a few to choose from.

The Ship of the Dead
The White Queen
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

message 9: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Jan 06, 2019 02:53PM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 543 comments Thanks, those are great picks. I'm still not sure which one I'll go with. Still have few books before to finish, so I'll come back with my choice when I'm closer to picking one up (in about a week?)

For now I'm siding with Riordan's The Ship of the Dead as I just finished previous book in series and want to see how it continues

Edit:
I'm changing book and going to read The White Queen

message 10: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1399 comments Hi Ashley! Could you pick 3 books for me, please? https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Merry Christmas if you celebrate!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Happy holidays Ashley! I'm back already and in need of another three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf. Thanks!

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Hi Ashley! Could you pick 3 books for me, please? https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Merry Christmas if you celebrate!"

Merry Christmas, Marina! In the spirit of the holidays, I'm choosing books with red or green covers.

The Thing from the Lake by Eleanor M. Ingram
A Tale of a Tub by Jonathan Swift
The Dunwich Horror by H.P. Lovecraft

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Amy wrote: "Happy holidays Ashley! I'm back already and in need of another three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf. Thanks!"

Happy holidays, Amy! Wow, that was fast. Here are some with holiday/seasonal themed covers or titles. 1 for winter and 1 for summer to include both hemispheres.

The Deal of a Lifetime by Fredrik Backman
The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah
One Summer by Karen Robards

message 14: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1399 comments Thanks, Ashley! Hard to choose! I'll probably read The Dunwich Horror but I need to think about it a bit.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Ashley wrote: "Amy wrote: "Happy holidays Ashley! I'm back already and in need of another three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf. Thanks!"

Happy holidays, Amy! Wow, that was fast. Here are some with holiday/seasonal t..."

I'll likely go with The Deal of a Lifetime if I can grab the audio CD version at the library tomorrow. Thanks, Ashley!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Looks like I'm destined to keep you company, Ashley. I'm back for a third visit and would appreciate three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf. Thanks!

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Amy wrote: "Looks like I'm destined to keep you company, Ashley. I'm back for a third visit and would appreciate three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf. Thanks!"

Welcome back! They say third time's the charm, so how about some #3s.

Ruin and Rising - 3rd on your list
The Drowning -3rd oldest on your list
The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew At His Side - 3rd highest rated

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Ashley wrote: "Amy wrote: "Looks like I'm destined to keep you company, Ashley. I'm back for a third visit and would appreciate three from Amy's Bookopoly shelf. Thanks!"

Welcome back! They say third time's the ..."

I almost typed "third time's the charm" in my post last night...GMTA. I'll go with The Drowning since it's available for download on audio and it fits Serial '19. Thanks, Ashley!

message 19: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 1198 comments I have landed on Man Booker Prize with you - May I have 3 choices please?
LaurLa's Bookopoly Shelf

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Happy Valentine's day. Here are your choices.

Sweet Little Lies
Savor the Moment
All the Right Reasons

Enjoy!

message 21: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 1198 comments Ashley wrote: "Happy Valentine's day. Here are your choices.

Sweet Little Lies
Savor the Moment
All the Right Reasons

Enjoy!"

Oh... those are hard for me to make a choice right now. But I will go with Sweet Little Lies!

message 22: by Amy (last edited Feb 22, 2019 02:45PM) (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Hi Ashley! I'm back again, believe it or not. Please pick three from my Bookopoly shelf when you have a moment. Thanks!

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Amy wrote: "Hi Ashley! I'm back again, believe it or not. Please pick three from my Bookopoly shelf once again. Thanks!"

Wow, Amy! You must really like coming here. How about a variety?

Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War II - nonfiction
The Far Cry - murder mystery
Love and First Sight - romance

message 24: by Amy (last edited Feb 22, 2019 04:35PM) (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Ashley wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hi Ashley! I'm back again, believe it or not. Please pick three from my Bookopoly shelf once again. Thanks!"

Wow, Amy! You must really like coming here. How about a variety?

Thanks for keeping my room ready since I'm your most frequent visitor. I'll go with The Far Cry. Thanks, Ashley!

message 25: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Hi, Ashley. I have landed on Man Booker Prize. My first visit! Please select 3 books for my consideration from my bookopoly shelf. Thanks.

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Bea wrote: "Hi, Ashley. I have landed on Man Booker Prize. My first visit! Please select 3 books for my consideration from my bookopoly shelf. Thanks."

Welcome, Bea. It's always nice to have new visitors. Since today is my sister's birthday, I'll use some of her favorites for ideas.

Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, And 3 RVs On Our Canine Cross-Country Adventure - her favorite animal is a dog
The Map of True Places - blue cover since that's her favorite color
The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse - #2 on your list because that's her favorite number

message 27: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Thanks, Ashley, for the quick response. I think I will go with Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, And 3 RVs On Our Canine Cross-Country Adventure. I like dogs, too.

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments hi Ashley

could I get 3 picks please?
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Dee wrote: "hi Ashley

could I get 3 picks please?
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

Hi, Dee. How about one of these standalones?

On the Come Up
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
Finding Dorothy

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments Thanks Ashley! I have on the come up next to me right now so going to go with that! Thanks!!

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1089 comments Hi Ashley!
Can I please have three books from my Bookopoly Shelf

Thanks very much!

message 32: by Ashley (last edited Mar 23, 2019 11:27AM) (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Lauren wrote: "Hi Ashley!
Can I please have three books from my Bookopoly Shelf

Thanks very much!"

Sure Lauren. How about one of these?

Jane, Unlimited - I gave this 4 stars
Flame in the Mist - On my TBR list too
Dying Truth - Highest rated on your list

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1089 comments Thanks Ashley.

I will probably go with Dying Truth as I love this series :)

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth | 502 comments Hi Ashley!
I have landed on your property. May I have 3 choices, please?

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Beth wrote: "Hi Ashley!

Hi Beth. Here you go.

A March to Madness: A View from the Floor in the Atlantic Coast Conference - For March Madness, of course
Little House in the Ozarks: The Rediscovered Writings - I enjoyed the Little House books as a child
Seabiscuit: An American Legend - I loved this one and I'm not a huge fan of nonfiction (though I do love horses).

message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth | 502 comments Ashley wrote: "Beth wrote: "Hi Ashley!

Hi Beth. Here you go.

A March to..."</i>
Thanks Ashley! I will go with [book:Little House in the Ozarks: The Rediscovered Writings

message 37: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1399 comments Hi Ashley! I've landed on your space - could you please pick 3 books from my shelf?

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Hi Ashley! I've landed on your space - could you please pick 3 books from my shelf?"

Hi Marina. How about one of these?

The Jewel of Seven Stars - cool title
The Island of Doctor Moreau - highest number of ratings
This Is Not the End: Conversations on Borderline Personality Disorder - #44 by highest rating (halfway through your list)

message 39: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1399 comments Thanks Ashley! I'll probably read The Island of Doctor Moreau.

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1089 comments Hi Ashley,
Can I please have three picks from My Shelf
Thanks!

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Lauren wrote: "Hi Ashley,
Can I please have three picks from My Shelf
Thanks!"

Hi Lauren. Because it's the first day of summer, how about some warm titles?

Summer Days
Flame in the Mist
Dead Heat

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1089 comments Thanks Ashley!
These are great picks and I love the theme. I will probably read Summer Days.

message 43: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 280 comments Hi Ashley! I've landed on your spot. Can you please pick 3 books for me? Thanks!

My shelf

message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Stacey wrote: "Hi Ashley! I've landed on your spot. Can you please pick 3 books for me? Thanks!

My shelf"

Hi Stacey. Here are your picks.

Graceling - I really enjoyed this one
Talon - on my TBR too
Cold Waters - we're in a heat wave right now so cold water sounds pretty good

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Hi Ashley! It's been a few months, but now I'm back for three selections from my Bookopoly shelf. Thanks!

message 46: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 280 comments Ashley wrote: "Stacey wrote: "Hi Ashley! I've landed on your spot. Can you please pick 3 books for me? Thanks!

My shelf"

Hi Stacey. Here are your picks.

Graceling - I really enjoyed this one
[bo..."

Thanks Ashley! Graceling has been on my shelf foooorrrrever, so I'l probably go with that one.

message 47: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Amy wrote: "Hi Ashley! It's been a few months, but now I'm back for three selections from my Bookopoly shelf. Thanks!"

Hi Amy. I meant to do this earlier, but I've been a bit busy this week, partly because today is my birthday. Anyways, here are your choices.

Of Beast and Beauty - looks like a pretty different retelling
The First Time She Drowned - title sounds interesting
The Midnight Star - I loved this series

message 48: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Ashley wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hi Ashley! It's been a few months, but now I'm back for three selections from my Bookopoly shelf. Thanks!"

Hi Amy. I meant to do this earlier, but I've been a bit busy this week, partl..."

Thanks, Ashley! I'll go with The Midnight Star. Happy Birthday!!!!

message 49: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) Hi Ashley! Can you please pick 3 books from my shelf?

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 233 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "Hi Ashley! Can you please pick 3 books from my shelf?

Hi Jenny. How about some books with magic in the title for Harry Potter's birthday?

The Final Days of Magic
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America
Hex

« previous 1