Start by marking “You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter” as Want to Read:
You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter

You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter

Is it possible to heal by thought alone—without drugs or surgery? The truth is that it happens more often than you might expect. In You Are the Placebo, Dr. Joe Dispenza shares numerous documented cases of those who reversed cancer, heart disease, depression, crippling arthritis, and even the tremors of Parkinson’s disease by believing in a placebo. Similarly, Dr. Joe ...more
Published April 29th 2014 by Hay House, Inc. (first published March 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about You Are the Placebo, please sign up.
emilia bataniuc It's a great book and I do belief what he says, his meditations are great. I 've read 2 of his books and practised his 45 minutes meditation and can s…moreIt's a great book and I do belief what he says, his meditations are great. I 've read 2 of his books and practised his 45 minutes meditation and can say that you get into that space and he really knows what is he talking about. Give it a chance and when your brain start to go into that state of scepticism think that is normal simply because it's something new and never heard before. (less)

Start your review of You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter
Paul Lima
Aug 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Additional comment since the review: the more I think of this book, the angrier I get. I now feel the author is a fraud, even if he believes what he is saying. Kind of like a Billy Graham. Can't believe he was invited to give a TED Talk. Has diminished the Talks in my eyes.

I've hesitated commenting on this book... Not sure why. I suspended my skepticism when reading it, but by the end it all came tumbling out.... First off, I do believe the brain is something remarkable -- something we don't fu
George Jankovic
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book!!! If someone told you that you could heal yourself simply by using your mind--even cancer--would you believe or would you laugh? While I've always been a big believer in the power of human mind to do both bad (destroy our body via stress, for instance) and good (to at least reverse that), I would've been suspicious to say the least. But a very close friend of mine recommended this book and bought it for me because stress had been ravaging my body and i've been getting all k ...more
Sam Torode
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read more self-help books than I care to admit on Goodreads, but this one is a stand-out. Lots of fascinating anecdotes about the power of the mind...and a good reminder of why I need to meditate more regularly.
Jonathan
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book has an excellent premise. The placebo effect is well documented, but it's hard to self-induce. For instance, people who take placebo antidepressants do almost as well as those who get the real deal -- so what if you could create that placebo effect *internally*, at will?

Unfortunately the "snake oil" red alarm bells started ringing madly before I had finished the introduction. Talks more about his own workshops than scientific studies? Check. Success stories all anecdotal? Check. Lots
Olga Sotomayor
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“You Are The Placebo”-making your mind matter by Dr. Joe Dispenza 1st edition available April 2014 (ISBN 978-1-4019-4458-2) is where spirituality meets science, where the reader is introduced to how powerful our thoughts can be and the effect it has on our physical body. A book about mind body connection, about healing ourselves, simplified to layman’s terms where anyone can understand and grasp the concepts presented within its pages. Dr. Dispenza includes in his book a specific meditation gear ...more
Shikha Rawal
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most magnificent books I have read in a long time. If anyone is impressed by the secret book by Rhonda Byrne then you must read this book- cause this book proves scientifically how "a thought" has so much power and how you can completely transform your life with nothing more than changing thoughts and deep ingrained belief systems.

It's a must read for everyone who wants to transform themselves into better living beings and who want to experience the unknown.
Also the author has menti
Gry Ranfelt
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Dear Atheists and skeptics: please read my review.

This book will teach you much on harvesting the power within your mind. Whether it helps you heal your body or not, it can show you the way to inner bliss.
It will also, however, try to sell you some things that you shouldn't unconsciously buy into. I think Joe Dispenza is dangerously into the territory he accuses doctors of unknowingly misusing - the reader is suggestible due to their faith in the book's message, and he takes advantage of this.
Fo
Tim Larison
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a complementary copy of this book from Hay House for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

You no doubt have heard stories of people being healed from illness by taking miracle drugs, only to find out later the drugs were “placebos” – or harmless sugar pills. How, then, were these people healed? Dr Joe Dispenza explores this phenomenon in his new book, “You Are the Placebo: making your mind matter”.

Dispenza knows what you tell yourself can heal phy
Aggie D. (Agnieszka)
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's all in the attitude!
Neuroscience, epigenetics...
The placebo (I shall please), and the nocebo (I shall harm) effects on the body, on physiological and psychological level have been studied for years. The patient responding either positively or negatively depending what they expect/believe. This book is fascinating because it gives both scientific and mystic examples (like people eating glass and walking on coals) and not getting hurt, by changing their mind and then body on a cellular level,
Pam Thomas
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Its science at its most profound, fascinating, how to shape your brain and body using your thoughts and emotions. it starts with a thought and ends with a fact and once we understand how our bodies renew themselves we can harness the process. This book is just amazing.
Amber the Human
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
I - hmm. I definitely think there is a strong placebo effect that we humans often fail to notice. But I wish this book had been a little more "science science" and a little less "you can heal thyself" and "only you can choose when you die." A fellow book club member called it dangerous - I'm not sure I'd go that far, but definitely read with a grain of salt.
Sean Ward
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sean by: Sarah
Shelves: reviewed
A friend mentioned this was recommended to her, so I took a look and couldn't put it down.

Some people may not respond well to the word "placebo" in the title, as it can conjure the idea that illness is all in your head, or imagined, which isn't the case; however, cures are often largely dependent on the placebo portion of any treatment. For better or worse, our biology and is governed by our thoughts to a great extent. Our brains can spur changes in neuroplasticity, and can alter our gene struc
Kent Winward
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Read the book and pay attention when he references science. If there are studies involved about placebos, he will cite them and the book feels strong. If he mentions quantum physics, the science goes out the window into nonsense. Think of his rantings on quantum physics as a placebo thought to try and get people to understand the placebo effect. It is a sugar pill of nonsense, but if it gets people to believe in placebos, ironically it could work.

The reality of the placebo effect is undisputed.
Nathaniel Allison
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Joe comes off more as a conman rather then a spiritually driven leader attempting to help people.

Every book of his and interviews are similar. Explains his miracle story then asks you to pay hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars to find your result.
Shawn Lemon
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! This explains so many things and basically lays out the mechanics of healing through a placebo, or with your mind based on belief. I want everyone to read this!
Karl
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
--An educational & exhaustive look at how the Placebo Effect can transform our lives--

In Dr. Dispenza’s newest book, "You are the Placebo" we are provided with the life-affirming knowledge that our thoughts and expectations can transform our lives by helping us overcome illness, disease, and numerous other afflictions that limit our ability to enjoy life to the fullest.

I do not read medical journals, so I can’t make this statement with certainty; however, I would suggest that this book is likely
Abbie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
WOW!! I can sum up this book in a few words:

- incredibly powerful
- incredibly dense sometimes
- 10/10 recommend for brain science nerds
- especially nerds who don't mind lots of technical language
- also there's some kind of cringe-y medical stuff/disturbing stories in here?? (fair warning)
- but wow S O F R E A K I N G G O O D
- you can literally change who you are by changing your thoughts (!!!)
- and this book teaches you how to do it
- I'm going to have to read it again
- and you should too
Svetlana Wesley
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Every single soul must read that!
Christopher Newton
Oct 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Just couldn't get into it. Hopeless, I guess.
Jennifer Lee
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you believe this quote by Einstein, then the ideas in You are the Placebo will likely resonate with you. “Everything is energy and that's all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way.”

The premise of all Joe’s work boils down to this idea: “If you’re not being defined by a vision of the future then you’re left with the memories of the past and you will be predictable in your life.” In You are the Placebo, he sa
Stephanie Thoma
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
To sum "You Are the Placebo" up: why have we dismissed the fact that a placebo pill may have been as effective as the real thing if both have relatively low 'success' rates? If even 10% of each group, placebo and nonplacebo, have experienced positive effects or healing of their condition, it's telling of the power of the mind thinking it's being helped, and following suit. This book recalls instances of people healing themselves from mental and physical ailments through the power of thought, and ...more
Farhana Faruq
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed listening to this book. It covers neuroscience, epigenetics, self healing, etc. I loved listening to the success stories and I totally believe our mind is more powerful than we think and capable of healing. This reminded me of Dr. Sarno, and if didn't personally benefit from Sarno's information, I'd totally understand why people would think this is all a sham. That said, irrelevant of if you can heal yourself or not, I'd still recommend others check this out. There is additional things ...more
Waseem
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book far easier to follow and understand compared to his first 2 books “Evolve Your Brain” and “Break the Habit of being Yourself”

It was written more like a book vs textbook that has a lot of technicality like his earlier books (in my opinion) - this made this book in particular far more enjoyable like hearing a conversation vs constant technical descriptions of the brain and workings of the mind as found in his earlier books...

Instead in this book the author talked more in plain si
Debjeet
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Before picking this book I thought this book is based on some voodoo science. But this book is based on core neuroscience.

I find it extremely interesting to read about all neural mechanism and effects of placebo and nocebo in enhancing our lives.

It is definitely top 5 book on neuroscience i have read.
Rathi
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable book and is a must-read for anyone interested in the workings of the subconscious mind and in the practice of meditation. Dr.Joe Dispenza, uses fairly simple language and numerous examples to get his points across. Some of the stories he narrates sound straight out of a fairy tale. The fact that these are real stories made me wonder how little we have understood our minds.
Alex Iambroszki
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you truly understand and APPLY what this man with over 25 years of experience in his field is talking about, you won't be the same person anymore. Physically, Emotionally, spiritually, habitually, etc. Any major change in our lives comes from within FIRST!
Kristy
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. No one can dispute the placebo affect is real, it is documented in thousands of studies. This explains the neuroscience behind it and opens up a lot more thought provoking possibilities with incredible true stories.
Manoj Prakash
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very powerful book.

Belief reinforced with facts. It shows the way to put power in your very hands !

Read it to benefit. Practice it to master it !
Everto08
Self-helping book making you reconsider your approach between your mind, body and who you are. The book would have benefited from reduced repetitions, going directly to the point and a more developed section on how to do it.
Midori
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is exactly the type of book that I hate. Too much pseudoscience and personal anecdotes.
I do believe in the placebo effect and that your subconscious mind is more powerful than what we already know, but still, more "real" scientific investigation and studies are needed, not just another self-help book full of pseudoscientific examples. Also, this book is a tool for the author to sell and attract more people to join his training courses.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles
  • The Divine Matrix: Bridging Time, Space, Miracles, and Belief
  • The Wisdom of Your Cells: How Your Beliefs Control Your Biology
  • Mind to Matter: The Astonishing Science of How Your Brain Creates Material Reality
  • Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself
  • Letting Go: The Pathway To Surrender
  • The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • Feeling Is The Secret 1944
  • Psychics, Healers,  Mediums: A Journalist, a Road Trip, and Voices from the Other Side
  • Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
  • A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • U Vortexu ostvarenih želja
Dr Joe Dispenza is an international lecturer, researcher, corporate consultant, author, and educator who has been invited to speak in more than 33 countries on six continents. As a lecturer and educator, he is driven by the conviction that each of us has the potential for greatness and unlimited abilities. In his easy-to-understand, encouraging, and compassionate style, he has educated thousands o ...more

News & Interviews

“And can you teach your body emotionally what it would feel like to believe in this way . . . to be empowered . . . to be moved by your own greatness . . . to be invincible . . . to have courage . . . to be in love with life . . . to feel unlimited . . . to live as if your prayers are already answered? . . .” 35 likes
“Your thoughts and feelings come from your past memories. If you think and feel a certain way, you begin to create an attitude. An attitude is a cycle of short-term thoughts and feelings experienced over and over again. Attitudes are shortened states of being. If you string a series of attitudes together, you create a belief. Beliefs are more elongated states of being and tend to become subconscious. When you add beliefs together, you create a perception. Your perceptions have everything to do with the choices you make, the behaviors you exhibit, the relationships you chose, and the realities you create.” 29 likes