The Sword and Laser discussion

That Time of Year

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben George (new)

Ben  George | 66 comments It's that time of year so I was wondering if anyone had any great SFF recommendations for any of the holidays that occur around this time of year.

My contribution is A War of Gifts, but I was hoping there were a bunch I didn't know.

Happy Holidays.

message 2: by TraceyL (new)

TraceyL | 76 comments The Shining takes place in the winter. Holidays are mentioned but I don't think they ever get to them.

message 3: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
There is the classic fantasy Xmas story A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

A bit more modern. NOS4A2 by Joe Hill It does have Christmasland ;-)

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1137 comments I read a collection called Christmas Magic edited by David Hartwell a few years ago. I recall that some of the stories were excellent.

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3906 comments Hogfather! Yeah, that was among the best of the routinely-great Discworld books.

I feel I should mention my fave indie author has an entry: Kate Danley's The Spirit of Krampus. It's short and illustrated but only 3 bucks.

The Spirit of Krampus by Kate Danley

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean | 350 comments I'll also recommend Hogfather. Death as mall-Santa alone makes the book worth reading.

message 7: by William (last edited Dec 11, 2018 08:54AM) (new)

William | 404 comments Time and Again by Jack Finney comes to my mind.

Then there is the mind-blowing In The Late December by Greg Van Eekhout which you can read on Strange Horizons at http://strangehorizons.com/fiction/in...

Of course there's the classic Christmas on Ganymede by Isaac Asimov. You can read that in scanned pulpy glory at https://archive.org/stream/Startling_...

As the snow falls I am also reminded of the gentle fall of snow in A Deepness in the Sky... though I think that was nitrogen snow. Still, it makes me feel cozy on a winter's night.

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3906 comments Haaa, Christmas on Ganymede was pretty good! Thanks for the referral. It was cheesy but fun. I enjoyed it. A human reveals the story of Santa to locals on Ganymede, and they want a visit or else they strike, ending the cushy jobs the humans have there. It involves some actual science in the form of low-gravity navigation but really a whole lot of hand waving. Hey, it's a Santa story.

The story has to be taken in historical context. First it uses a trope already a little out of date for publication in the 1940s, which is that other bodies in the Solar System have abundant life and some intelligent locals. Then those locals are a little too close to the actual exploitation of natives during the colonial era. Read the story for the fun it brings and perhaps use the historical context as a lesson in that day's attitudes.

message 9: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrichmer) | 128 comments Not a specific holiday, but Katherine Arden's Winternight trilogy is wonderfully wintery. Reading about the Russian winter makes me glad I'm curled up warm in bed!

message 10: by Iain (last edited Dec 18, 2018 08:47AM) (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1299 comments Assassin's Apprenticewith all its Christ analogies (he is ‘reborn’ in a stable for crying out loud).. :-)