The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Winter Challenge 2018 > 25.7 - Wayne's Task: Sometimes, you have to take the bad with the good

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Dec 14, 2018 10:45AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4540 comments Mod
25.7 - Wayne's task: Sometimes, you have to take the bad with the good

For many people, Christmas is their favorite holiday, and really, why shouldn't it be? There are so many things to enjoy: the time off from work that you can spend with friends and family, the presents, the parties, and of course, all the delicious food (I'm enjoying my first candy cane of the season as I am writing this.)

Unfortunately, there are also bad things that can happen at Chrustmas time as well. There are horrific blizzards that keep your flight grounded until well after Christmas, hordes of ravenous Boxing Day shoppers, Aunt Mabel's seemingly endless supply of highly inedible fruitcake, and all the pounds you have to lose as a result of eating all the wonderful food! All you can do is take the good with the bad. . .

This is a two book task. Books with a main page genre of kids or childrens may NOT be used. Books with more than one author may NOT be used.

Book 1: Read a book with a GR average rating of 4.2 or higher with a minimum of 100 ratings.

Book 2: Read a book with a GR average rating of 3.2 or lower with a minimum of 100 ratings.

REQUIRED: The books MUST have a combined total of 500 pages

Thanks to Nicole, here's a link to a list of low rated books on GR - Worst Rated Books. That list also includes links to a number of lists of both low and high rated books.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4540 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 3: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1688 comments Is it possible to lock in a book for Book 2? If so, I'd like to have Bellevue Square approved as it is at exactly 3.2:)

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3923 comments Just in case the average GR rating changes:

A Court of Thorns and Roses - current GR rating = 4.27

and

A Partisan's Daughter - current GR rating = 3.16

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17576 comments Mod
Please verify the ratings

Where the Crawdads Sing 4.53

The Three Weissmanns of Westport 2.90

message 6: by Sandy (last edited Dec 06, 2018 04:52AM) (new)

Sandy | 15838 comments Mod
Please verify the ratings -
The World According to Star Wars - 3.2
And the Rest is History - 4.45

Thanks!

message 7: by Marie (UK) (last edited Dec 06, 2018 04:53AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Please could i have Thunderheadverified for above 4.2

and Adjustment Day for below 3.2

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10913 comments Mod
Just in case the average GR rating changes, could you please verify:

Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood ~ 4.44

and

The Best of Adam Sharp ~ 3.06

Thanks!

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3923 comments Thanks, Wayne.

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17576 comments Mod
Wayne wrote: "Hmmm . . . I should lock in my picks while I'm at it.

Thank You, Jeeves 4.25
The Almost Moon 2.68"

mod verified!

message 11: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Can I get these verified, please:
Memory: 4.44
Proof of Concept: 3.04

message 12: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Can you please verify the following ratings?

Book 1: Twisted Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen, #5) by Michael Hambling

Current rating 4.27

For book 2, I'll probably use The Best of Adam Sharp by Graeme Simsion , which has been approved already.

Thanks!

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1688 comments Wayne wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "Is it possible to lock in a book for Book 2? If so, I'd like to have Bellevue Square approved as it is at exactly 3.2:)"

Yes it is and you're locked! (Egad . ..."

Thanks, Wayne!
I'm surprised how low this is, too, and I'm glad to hear you gave it 5 stars. I bought it and I'm determined to read mostly books I already own this season. I'll let you know when I find the 4.2 + book I want to have approved.

message 14: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 867 comments Can I get a lock on
Me Before You 4.26
and
The Jane Austen Book Club 3.08

message 15: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 796 comments Could you lock in these ratings:
Beartown - 4.29 rating
The House I Loved - 3.19 rating

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 933 comments Could I lock these ratings

The Andalucian Friend rated 3.17

Beneath a Scarlet Sky rated 4.42

message 17: by Charlston (new)

Charlston Goch (list_addict) | 129 comments Hi, for ‘bad’ can I lock in Bumped at 3.12
Thanks

message 18: by Anja (new)

Anja Vuković | 356 comments Can I have Gray Back Broken Bear locked for 4,43? Thanks

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 31 comments Hello, can I get Honor Among Enemies confirmed for book 1? Rating: 4.25. Thank you :)

message 20: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Cool task - trying to find a book which you might like but which the rest of Goodreads thinks is a pile of %$*&!

message 21: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments For those who want a laugh - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 22: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3923 comments Wayne wrote: "Nicola wrote: "For those who want a laugh - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2..."

I tried to find a list like this when I was working on this task and couldn't ..."

Actually, I have read some of those books...and they were undiscovered gems. Of course, some were not.

message 23: by Laura H (new)

Laura H (laurah30) | 387 comments I think this is a great task idea!

Can I Lock in The Tattooist of Auschwitz at 4.34?

I'm going to read Bellevue Square that has already been locked at 3.2.

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1501 comments Can I please get

The Lake of Dreams (3.18) and Seeing a Large Cat (4.22) locked in?

Thanks

message 25: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 13, 2018 07:55PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3666 comments In post 2 ... You have Beneath a Scarlet Sky listed as BOTH 4.2 and higher / 3.2 and lower ....

message 26: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2073 comments Could I have The Player locked in at 4.22 please?

message 27: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Calhoun | 211 comments can I lock in A Very Large Expanse of Sea for book one? 4.36

message 28: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1690 comments Please lock in In the Heart of Darkness for book 1, rated 4.21

message 29: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1501 comments I think you may have missed my question in post 43.

message 30: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 303 comments I'd like to lock in the following books:

Making Merry for 4.2 (102 ratings)
and
The Vacationers for 3.2

message 31: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 704 comments Please lock in Twisted Perfection as above 4.2

message 32: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1690 comments I'm using my previous choice for a different task. Please lock in Fortune's Stroke for Book 1 (currently rated 4.23)

message 33: by Erica (new)

Erica I'm totally new here. Can I ask - why must books be locked in? Does that mean no one else can use those books?

message 34: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 303 comments Books here are locked in so that even if the rating changes as the book is reviewed by users, the book will still be allowed for the task.

So you could decide to read a book for a specific rating now, but when you actually get to read it say in mid Feb, the rating may have changed and it no longer works. So locking it in means you will still be able to read it and have it count even if the rating later changes.

This is also true for main page genres, because they are based on user shelves, so they change often as well.

message 35: by Erica (new)

Erica Thanks for the explanations. Makes total sense.

message 36: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo | 102 comments You say only one author may be listed. I would like to read In the School of the Holy Spirit, which has only one author.

However, the translator is also listed. Her name is marked as translator, so just wanting to check if I can still use this book.

message 37: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo | 102 comments Wayne wrote: "Yes, you can use it. People who are listed as translators, illustrators, etc. do not count as authors unless the task specifically states that they do."

Great! Thank you! I was pretty sure that was the case, but wanted to double check before I committed it! :)

message 38: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2271 comments Can I get Iron Gold locked at 4.25 please?

message 39: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1440 comments Can I please lock in The Dream Daughter at 4.28 please? Ta!

message 40: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments could you please lock in The One Man at 4.33

still trying to decide on my under 3.2 book

message 41: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Can you approve for above 4.2 (4,27)
The Collector The Collector (Ds Fitzroy 2) by Fiona Cummins

And for rating under 3.2 (3,14)
Life Sentences Life Sentences by Laura Lippman

message 42: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1440 comments Wayne wrote: "Tien wrote: "Can I please lock in The Dream Daughter at 4.28 please? Ta!"

You're locked in! Enjoy!"

Thank you, I finished it last night & loved it ;)

message 43: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments can i get these listed please
The Devouring Gray 4.41

and
When We Caught Fire 3.12

thanks

message 44: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Please lock in Out of Position at 4.21, thanks!

message 45: by Trish (last edited Jan 07, 2019 05:04AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Afternoon.

Could you lock this combination in for me?

Book 1: Blood, Sweets and Tears (aka Witch Chocolate Bites), HY Hanna
Average rating: 4.42 with 491 ratings (as of 07/01/19)

Book 2: Emma, Alexander McCall Smith
Average rating: 3.05 with 9,166 ratings (as of 07/01/19)

Thank you.

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15838 comments Mod
Wayne wrote: "I have locked Emma in.

I think there may be a problem with Blood, Sweets and Tears, the problem being that the there is only a Kindle edition under that title, with..."

Since this task does not involve a specific title or cover picture, then it doesn't matter that the paper and ebook editions have different titles - the records are combined, so it's okay. The paper edition is necessary to confirm number of pages, but doesn't matter otherwise.

message 47: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Thanks both Wayne and Sandy!

message 48: by Marie (UK) (last edited Jan 09, 2019 03:21AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments change of plan - please can I have When All Is Said approved for above 4.2 it has 156 reviews

message 49: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2271 comments Can I get Tell Me a Secret locked for 4.26 please?!

message 50: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 303 comments I've changed my selections and want to lock in Dark Arts and a Daiquiri for 4.2.

« previous 1