What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mischief in Fez
This topic is about Mischief in Fez
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Islamic story in a collection of fairy tales - featured a fennec fox, a sorceress, possibly a genie. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 9 comments I'm searching for a fairy tale I read when I was younger. I believe it was in a compilation of other stories, perhaps in the Bookshelf for Boys and Girls series.

The story appeared to be Middle-Eastern in origin, perhaps Islamic, and featured a boy whose father marries a sorceress. The boy knows the sorceress' true nature, but the father does not. The boy has to avoid being enchanted by the sorceress while finding a way to out her to his father. He refuses to eat anything she prepares, and doesn't allow her access to any hair, nail clippings, or anything else that could allow her to cast a spell on him. A talking fennec fox is heavily featured. I remember the story ended with the father ceremonially divorcing a wax figure of the sorceress. Genies may also have been involved. And I remember raisins. Lots of raisins.

I've gone through all of these books I can find, but haven't found this story yet, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to search to get Google to recognize that I don't want to learn about fennec foxes. 😜 Any ideas?

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Elizabeth, around what year did you read this book? A range of years is fine and will help narrow down the search.

Series mentioned - The Bookshelf for Boys and Girls series

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 9 comments Sorry, I forgot to include that info. A friend of mine on Facebook found this book for me - it's Mischief in Fez by Eleanor Hoffman.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Elizabeth. Here's the link - Mischief in Fez by Eleanor Hoffmann.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments You can mark the request as solved by clicking the 'edit' link next to the subject line / title, and then selecting one of the "Solved" folders. This will help save our moderators some time.

You should also change the subject line / title to start "SOLVED: [then your existing subject line/title of your post]" which helps people still find your request later.

Solved requests are almost as important as unsolved requests (eg, eg, so don't delete your info :D Otherwise it looks like this, which completely doesn't show how you generated *so* much interest for your book). The requests continue to exist in the archive, and people looking for your book end up on that page via search engine because of your description/keywords - which improves the whole world :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mischief in Fez (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Eleanor Hoffmann (other topics)