The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2018 December Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 799 comments Mod
Famous children's author, Eve Bunting, celebrates her birthday on December 19. So, your challenge for December is to read a picture book. Bonus points* for a book by Eve Bunting. She wrote over 250!

*Like the television classic, "Who's Line is it Anyway?" the points don't matter. :D

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 01, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Stephanie | 54 comments I'm gonna put in a plug for a book written by Ryan North called How to Be a T. Rex! It's adorable!
A fun that came out recently: Lyric McKerrigan, Secret Librarian! I love the reminder that whatever you need can totally be found in the right book!
ALSO! This is a thing I learned yesterday that relates thanks to the world that Beatrix Potter created: did you know that she kept a journal that was completely in a code she created as a teenager and kept for 15 years (1881-1897) and wasn't translated till 1958?!? SO COOL AHHHH https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1 comments I want to add Eve Bunting's book: Our Library by Eve Bunting . Very cute book about the animals saving their beloved library.

message 4: by JoAnn (last edited Dec 01, 2018 10:39PM) (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 108 comments I read several Eve Bunting picture books today. The one that had the greatest emotiinal impact on me was Train to Somewhere. I also enjoyed The Memory String. Gleam and Glow was another good one. I plan to look at one of her frog stories next week.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments I bought these picture books as Christmas presents so of course I had to read them first: She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History, Do Not Lick this Book, We Don't Eat Our Classmates, Star in the Jar, and My Pet Wants a Pet. They were all so good and cute. I especially liked Do Not Lick This Book!

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I read Eve's THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Thank you for introducing her to me.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Eve Bunting is great. Glad you enjoyed one of her books. :)

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 111 comments I re-read Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons with my niece and my nephews. We learned about subtraction in the process. Kind of a crazy character, but they seem to like him.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Pete the cat is always a crowd pleaser. I love that book in particular.

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 161 comments I checked out a library book, Solving the Puzzle Under the Sea: Marie Tharp Maps the Ocean Floor then ran across the holiday books I read to my kids when they were little. So the above book is staying in my TBR list and I'm reading Snow Tree. The pictures are vibrant and my edition is embossed on every page.

message 11: by Debbie (last edited Dec 17, 2018 09:37AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 919 comments My daughter called me and asked me to watch her sick 2nd grader while she ran some critical errands. I took keen advantage of the opportunity and sneaked 6 picture books from granddaughter's bookshelves to 1) do this challenge and 2) complete my Goodreads 2018 challenge. Here is the list:
Wiggle by Doreen Cronin. I found I couldn't help wiggling as I read it!
Eight Silly Monkeys by Steve Haskamp. I could hear the skip-rope song in my head as I read.
Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business by Esphyr Slobodkina. I remembered the time in high school when I did this as a read-aloud for several children. My granddaughter did not want a repeat performance, though I offered.
The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen. The illustrations were wonderful, done by Rachel Isadora
Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin. The delightful story of the first person to actually study and photograph snowflakes. His work is still considered to be a "must read" for people who study snow. This book is the 1999 Caldecott Medal winner.
The Mousehole Cat by Antonia Barber. My annual read. Last year I promised my granddaughter, who was struggling to read, that the year she could read the book to me without struggling, I would give it to her. I may have to buy myself a new copy this year, she's doing so well!

message 12: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 25 comments Eve Bunting hasn't been on my radar until now, but I just read the Christmas Cricket and it was adorable! That was a quick, fun little challenge!

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Good job guys, there's a little more than a week to finish this challenge. Good luck!

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (sudsandbrewer) | 30 comments I read The Mismatched Nativity. Very good book.

message 15: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 21, 2018 02:31PM) (new)

Stephanie | 54 comments I just got my hold in for the new kids book Tiger vs. Nightmare and I devoured the book. omg it's sooooooo cute and I love it ♥♥♥ the illustrations + the story of a monster helping its friend tiger fight off nightmares is just so charming.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda | 170 comments I read so far this month I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by John Rox and by Eve Bunting December by Eve Bunting

message 17: by Linda (last edited Dec 26, 2018 07:39PM) (new)

Linda | 170 comments I just read If da Vinci Painted a Dinosaur by Amy Newbold . I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read the other by the same author.

message 18: by Sarah (last edited Dec 31, 2018 12:55PM) (new)

message 19: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 320 comments I read Eve Bunting’s The Banshee

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Susan is our prize drawing winner for December 2018’s reading challenge. They read Mismatched Nativity. Congratulations!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Visser | 10 comments Way to go Mom!!

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 919 comments Hooray Amanda's Mom! Good job, Susan!

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (sudsandbrewer) | 30 comments Thank you for the books.

message 24: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 919 comments What did you get, Susan?