The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2018 > Questions/Problems in Completed Tasks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 345 (345 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5358 comments Mod
Questions or problems with completed task posts will be posted here.

If you have questions about your points on the Readerboard:

1. Make sure that the Readerboard has been updated through the post that you are concerned about.
2. Please check your math.
3. Check to see if one of your posts is listed in this thread with a question. If so, please make a NEW POST in the Completed tasks thread to clear up the question. DO NOT go back and edit the original post. I will not go backwards in the completed task thread to pick up points.
4. To avoid further questions/problems, please refer to the TASK DESCRIPTIONS and the POSTING REQUIREMENTS.

Thank you for helping keep the record keeping for the challenge as manageable as possible.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:53PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments CelesteR - post 25

Task 5.4 requires: The initial letter of each word of the title is found in APPALACHIAN TRAIL.

From the FAQs:
2. What about titles that begin with numbers or symbols or include a number or symbol as a standalone word?

In that case, the number or symbol counts as a word in the title or as the first letter of a word in a title. So, if a task calls for the initial letter of each word to be found in a target word or phrase, the number or symbol must be found in that target word or phrase.

飴色パラドックス 2 Ameiro Paradox 2 contains a 2 in the title. There is no 2 in APPALACHIAN TRAIL. This book will not work for this task.

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:53PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Creynard - post 35

From the posting requirements:
10. If your book is an ebook with no print version, you must have it approved for length before posting in the ebook page verification thread: Ebook page verification in General Help.

Your post must include the line number of the approval in the ebook spreadsheet or a link to the post in which the ebook was approved for length.

Stating **approved for length** in your post is not sufficient for meeting this requirement.

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Zach - post 49

Task 15.3 requires a book with a title of at least 3 word.

From the FAQs:
4. What's the difference between titles, subtitles, and series titles?
The title is the name of the book. The subtitle follows the title after a colon. A series title appears in parenthesis after the title and/or subtitle, sometimes with a number to indicate the book's position in the series order.
For instance, in Genghis: Birth of an Empire, the title is "Genghis." The subtitle is "Birth of an Empire." The series title is "(Conqueror #1)."

The titles of graphic novels are not always entered in a consistent way, but depend on the preferences of the particular person who entered it into GR. For SRC purposes, we use the first : (colon) to mark the title and subtitle - so, anything before the first colon is the title, anything after it is the subtitle (even if multiple colons and subtitles are included).

Based on this standard rule, Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step has a one word title and, therefore, will not work for this task.

message 5: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) Hi. I am Cordelia.

I have posted 2 posts so far - post 12 and post 31.
Neither of them has turned up on the Readerboard yet or in the problem thread.

Is there a problem with these?

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Cordelia wrote: "Hi. I am Cordelia.

I have posted 2 posts so far - post 12 and post 31.
Neither of them has turned up on the Readerboard yet or in the problem thread.

Is there a problem with these?"

Sorry about that, Cordelia. I'm still working out kinks in the spreadsheet. It's fixed now. Thanks for pointing out the problem so quickly. It's a big help!

message 7: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 406 comments Kristina Simon wrote: " Creynard - post 35

From the posting requirements:
10. If your book is an ebook with no print version, you must have it approved for length before posting in the ebook page verification thread: Eb..."

I'm not sure what to post then. I used the approval thread, and the book was approved and is now on the SRC ebook Verification list...

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7910 comments Creynard - typically if you are using an ebook only - post either the link in the spreadsheet or the post in the verification thread where it was approved

message 9: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 406 comments Dee wrote: "Creynard - typically if you are using an ebook only - post either the link in the spreadsheet or the post in the verification thread where it was approved"

thanks!

message 10: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 09, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Wayne - post 82

Task 30.2 requires that you include both covers when you post and point out which book cover satisfies the green requirement and how and which one satisfies the purple requirement and how.

ETA -- You've indicated that one book cover was approved for green. Your repost should include that cover.

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Nikki B - post 132

Task 5.4 requires that the initial letter of each word of the title be found in APPALACHIAN TRAIL. The initial letters for each word of Curiosities of Literature: A Feast for Book Lovers are COL. There is no O in APPALACHIAN TRAIL so this book will not work for this task.

message 12: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Nick KY - post 143

Task 15.2 requires that the SPRING and AUTUMN be found intact in the title/subtitle, series title, or author's name.

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Nikki B - post 162

Task 15.6 (and the others that use TinEye) are based on the picture of the cover on the main book page. Following the directions for using TinEye in post 2 of the Help thread, gives these results for Aviation Mysteries of the North:

#0d0d0d 32.5 %Black (Black)
#8a8181 23.9 %Venus (Violet)
#cdc8c7 17.7 %Alto (Grey)
#fdfcfc 16.1 %Snow (White)
#4d4849 9.8 %Emperor (Grey)

Black, white, and grey percentages add up to 76.1%, which is less than the 80% required.

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Brigia - post 166

Task 15.10 (and the others that use TinEye) are based on the picture of the cover on the main book page. Following the directions for using TinEye in post 2 of the Help thread, gives these results for Only Love:

#1d1c1a 37.3 %Nero (Black)
#6c695d 26.9 %Flint (Grey)
#5b3a34 25.2 %Very Dark Brown (Brown)
#e4e1e0 7.5 %Wan White (Grey)
#8c765d 1.7 %Clay Creek (Grey)
#bd8c86 1.4 %Oriental Pink (Pink)

Grey = 36.1% < 50%

message 15: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 11, 2018 03:26PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Elizabeth B - post 170

Task 15.6 is a cover task. All cover tasks require that you include the cover in your post.

message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments BARBARA ★ - post 182

Posting requirements have changed: 12. Only one task may be included in a post. Please repost your tasks separately.

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Claire - post 184

There are many Claires in the challenge. Please repost your task with your Readerboard name at the top of your post.

message 18: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 11, 2018 04:21PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Stephanie (Librarianish) - post 192

Task 25.3 - A requires a book with a 1 or 2 word title that makes sense as the answer to the question or sensibly completes the phrase while B requires a book with 3+ words in the title that makes sense as the answer to the question or sensibly completes the phrase.

message 19: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Shanna_redwind - post 194

Very cute answers to task 25.3. ;-)

But, A World Without Heroes had the genre Childrens on its main page when it was verified:

Fantasy 705 users
Adventure 164 users
Young Adult 161 users
Childrens > Middle Grade 126 users

Please repost including the requirements for books with the MPG Childrens.

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Sara G - post 201

Task 20.1 requires a book that has more than 300 pages (301+ pages). The paperback edition (there is no MMPB) of Midnight in Peking: How the Murder of a Young Englishwoman Haunted the Last Days of Old China only has 272 pages.

message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Sue T - post 210

Task 30.2 allows MALE authors only and requires that you include the green or purple book cover when you post.

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Sara G - post 201

Task 20.1 requires a book that has more than 300 pages (301+ pages). The paperback edition (there is no MMPB) of [book:Midnight in Peking: How the Murder of a Young Englishwoman ..."

Oops sorry! I found a different place for it in the challenge :)

message 23: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Louise - post 214

Deadly Deception appears to be in ebook format only. From the rules: 10. If your book is an ebook with no print version, you must have it approved for length before posting in the ebook page verification thread: Ebook page verification in General Help.
Your post must include the line number of the approval in the ebook spreadsheet or a link to the post in which the ebook was approved for length.

message 24: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Molly - post 224

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had the genre Childrens on its main page at the time of verification:

Fantasy 42,813 users
Young Adult 13,751 users
Fiction 11,795 users
Fantasy > Magic 3,827 users
Childrens 3,158 users
Adventure 2,058 users
Childrens > Middle Grade 1,379 users
Classics 1,208 users
Science Fiction Fantasy 1,191 users
Audiobook 1,142 users

Please repost including the requirements for books with the MPG Childrens.

message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments MAZZA1 - post 225

Task 20.1 limits you to the number of letters available in the English-language edition of Scrabble. There are only 2 H tiles available. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle has 3 Hs in the title.

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Elizabeth B - post 247

Task 20.1 requires a book that has more than 300 pages (301+ pages). Ebooks without print editions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages.

message 27: by Marie (UK) (last edited Sep 12, 2018 12:48PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Kristina Simon wrote: " MAZZA1 - post 225

Task 20.1 limits you to the number of letters available in the English-language edition of Scrabble. There are only 2 H tiles available. [book:The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcas..."

ETA this is the link provided and it says H = 5 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrab...

Sorry i can see where i have gone wrong I have been looking at super scrabble

message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments M1nks - post 262

Task 20.1 requires a book that has more than 300 pages (301+ pages).

message 29: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Tammy AZ - post 274

Posting requirements have changed: 12. Only one task may be included in a post. Please repost your tasks separately.

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Slayermel - post 337

The edition of The Troop you've linked to only has 358 pages and is not eligible for a Big Book ticket. If you read a, edition that is eligible, please repost with a link to the edition you read. Also, make it clear in your repost that it is for Big Book tickets ONLY, the points for the task have already been counted.

message 31: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Laurah30 - post 347

Task 20.1 limits you to the number of letters available in the English-language edition of Scrabble. There are only 2 Y tiles available. Truly Madly Guilty has 3 Ys in the title.

message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments CelesteR - post 321

Task 5.9 - The title of the book you've claimed for this task is Bónd(z), not Bond. There is no Z on the Boggle board so this book will not work for this task.

message 33: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Kristina Simon wrote: " CelesteR - post 321

Task 5.9 - The title of the book you've claimed for this task is Bónd(z), not Bond. There is no Z on the Boggle board so this book will not work for this task."

But only Bond shows up on the GoodReads' add book/author ... and ... since Z is in parentheses I consider it a different word and the creator of the page apparently did to ... and I KNOW that y'all consider no space as same word but why wouldn't GoodReads show all: Bond(z) instead of just BOND? Should we not respect that? Or should I get this approved in the help thread then repost?

message 34: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 13, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Celeste wrote: "But only Bond shows up on the GoodReads' add book/author ... and ... since Z is in parentheses I consider it a different word and the creator of the page apparently did to ... and I KNOW that y'all consider no space as same word but why wouldn't GoodReads show all: Bond(z) instead of just BOND? Should we not respect that?

I can't answer why GRs does what it does, but we go by what's on the book's main page.

Or should I get this approved in the help thread then repost? .."

Nope. We go by what's on the book's main page, which is part of the challenge rules. This book does not fit this task.

message 35: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Stephanie (Librarianish) - post 357

Task 25.3 requires that you include the question, not just a number, with your answer.

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Queen Bee Darlene - post 359

Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 483 comments Kristina Simon wrote: " Stephanie (Librarianish) - post 357

Task 25.3 requires that you include the question, not just a number, with your answer."

Shoot, did that change after the initial posting of the task? Regardless, I'll fix and repost. Thanks!

message 38: by Fandury (last edited Sep 14, 2018 02:11AM) (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Celeste wrote: "But only Bond shows up on the GoodReads' add book/author ... and ... since Z is in parentheses I consider it a different word and the creator of the page apparently did to ... and I..."

Just to mention that the missing z is a technical problem, as for the Add Books feature everthing that is in parantheses is left out, at least if it is at the end. Normally these are series titles, as for them also parantheses are used in the book data, but in this case the z disappears, even so it is clearly on the book page and also in the data.

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16708 comments Mod
Fandury wrote: "Kristina Simon wrote: "Celeste wrote: "But only Bond shows up on the GoodReads' add book/author ... and ... since Z is in parentheses I consider it a different word and the creator of the page appa..."

Thanks, Fandury - that's good info to know!

message 40: by Brigia (new)

Brigia | 258 comments Kristina Simon wrote: " Brigia - post 166

Task 15.10 (and the others that use TinEye) are based on the picture of the cover on the main book page. Following the directions for using TinEye in post 2 of the Help thread, ..."

Ah, sorry! I figured out what I did wrong - forgot to include the background colors. I'll use the book for a different task.

message 41: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Fandury wrote: "Kristina Simon wrote: "Celeste wrote: "But only Bond shows up on the GoodReads' add book/author ... and ... since Z is in parentheses I consider it a different word and the creator of the page appa..."

Thank you Fandury. I'm going to ask the Librarian thread to change the parentheses to brackets.

message 42: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 15, 2018 06:56AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Ava Catherine

Updates for the Readerboard indicate that the totals shown are through posts 450, but I do not see the points for my posts 446 (5 points), 447 (5 points), 448 (5 points), and 449 (10 points).
Maybe, I just missed something. Thanks for checking on this.

message 43: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Ava Catherine

Updates for the Readerboard indicate that the totals shown are through posts 450, but I do not see the points for my posts 446 (5 points), 447 (5 points), 448 (5 points), and 449 (10..."

Sorry about that. Fixed now! ;-)

message 44: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Thank you!

message 45: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments LISA NZ - post 465

Task 20.5, option 3 requires a book that nearly fits one of the requirements for task 20.5 of the Summer Challenge, but not quite. The author Rupi Kaur would work for the original task as both initials (RK) can be found in FRIGGATRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA.

message 46: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Kathryn CA - post 485

Task 15.3 requires that the initial letters of every word in the title be found in the name of a toy. As you noted, the title The Murder of Roger Ackroyd has the initial letters of TMORA. However, there is no O in Atari 2600 Game System. There are two zeros, but no O.

message 47: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Heather(Gibby) - post 527

Task 30.6, option 1 requires that the suspect's game piece color be found in the title. Mr. Green's game piece color is green, not greenhouse.

message 48: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1531 comments Kristina Simon wrote: " Sue T - post 210

Task 30.2 allows MALE authors only and requires that you include the green or purple book cover when you post."

OOPS!

message 49: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Kristina Simon wrote: " Kathryn CA - post 485

Task 15.3 requires that the initial letters of every word in the title be found in the name of a toy. As you noted, the title The Murder of Roger Ackroyd has th..."

My bad. I think I saw those 0 and thought O

message 50: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Jenifer - post 597

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7