Start by marking “Becoming” as Want to Read:
Becoming

Becoming

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States.

In a life filled with meaning and accomplishment, Michelle Obama has emerged as one of the most iconic and compelling women of our era. As First Lady of the United States of America—the first African-American to serve in that role—she helped create the most welcoming and inclusive Whi
Published November 13th 2018 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Becoming, please sign up.
Beth I get that!! Get active and help to get Democrat candidates elected. Candidates that stand for the same things that Michelle does. Only good people…moreI get that!! Get active and help to get Democrat candidates elected. Candidates that stand for the same things that Michelle does. Only good people like us can help make a change and get our country headed in a more positive direction again. (less)
Gina This is her biography. So it is about Michelle Obama and not a comprehensive look at all African American woman activists. You can read the summary…moreThis is her biography. So it is about Michelle Obama and not a comprehensive look at all African American woman activists. You can read the summary just like any of us and it describes a basic political biography/memoir of Michelle. (less)

Sarah Jessica Parker
I’m so thrilled to add Becoming to my list! A powerful, surprising and moving book as well as refreshingly candid that I think will be deeply inspirational to many.
Kai
Feb 25, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
MICHELLE MY HEART

description

this is going to be good
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
You bet your ass I just preordered this. As a female minority, Queen First Lady Michelle Obama has become one of my most go-to role models, and I already know I'm going to be in tears while reading this.
SHOOKITHA TEA
I honestly can't wait to read this one! Already preordered the audiobook. A full memoir about her life in her own words? Take all my money Michelle!

Release Date: Nov. 13 2018
Michelle
Oct 25, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I miss you and your husband so much
alex
Feb 25, 2018 marked it as anticipated-2018  ·  review of another edition
omg omg omg
Leigh Kramer
Feb 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
HERE FOR THIS.
Diego
May 24, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Es la primera vez en toda mi vida que anticipo un libro. De verdad. No espero a que salga!!!!
Holli
Nov 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is poorly written. Only fans of M.O. could possibly like this book as it doesn't stick to facts. They are the only ones allowed to give reviews of it. I wonder what is being said about Trump books? My review has been deleted twice. Hopefully I am allowed to say this little bit.
Chresann Dsouza
just can't wait to read this book....we all know it's gonna be fabulous!
Amie Jackson
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS is what I've been waiting for. 😊
Jerry
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Michelle Obama comes from a unique position that only 45 women have ever known. But even more unique, of course, is that she is the first First Lady of color, and in that respect she is in a class of her own. This was an enlightening book and very well written by a brilliant lawyer and mother and wife. The book is inspirational and uplifting. I definitely recommend.
Ashley
May 24, 2018 is currently reading it
The cover of this book was just revealed 🙌🏾🙌🏾
Chrissie
Currently reading.
Iman  Malone-Dirige
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My beautiful Bride and I have always resonated deeply with the Obama family as not only as our own little ohana mentors, but just as importantly - our marriage mentors.

We too have and will forever continue to remain diligent and persevering towards our own phenomenal marriage.

For our love and happiness.

For our daily growth as one.

For our bond as a united team comprised of a free-spirited ENFP-A and brilliant ENTJ-A.

For our spiritual foundation of our beautiful marriage.

For our union as soul m
Jerrika
Bettie☯
Nov 12, 2018 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: bbc listeners

1: In her new memoir Michelle Obama chronicles the life experiences that have shaped her. First off, she travels to Princeton University in the 1980's, driven there by her father. At this venerable place of learning, what lies in store for a young woman from Chicago's South Side?

Oprah taps Michelle Obama's memoir as Book Club pick
Katy
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an insightful, honest, and graceful memoir from an amazing woman.
William
Nov 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
I really love the title.
Yun
Feb 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Soooo excited for this!
Sage
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gorgeous memoir is absolutely stunning. I didn’t think it was possible to love Michelle Obama any more than I do already and then I read this book and just....wow. This made me cry/tear up an embarrassing amount, and also made me laugh out loud a lot too. The way she weaved her narrative together and peppered in anecdotes was masterful, and I loved hearing her talk about her family and daughters, and her relationship with Barack in and out of the White House. 1000000000% would recommend.
Allyson Stallman
Shelves: 2018-books
Could. Not. Put. Down. You really are pulled into the writing, to the point that you really feel as if you’re sitting in front of her listening to her tell you about her remarkable life. The give-and-take of her marriage to Barack, the trials of IVF, the joy (and pain) of parenthood to their life in politics in Chicago and onward to the White House (a place Michelle never thought Barack would end up!). Finally to the epilogue where we find Michelle pondering life after the White House and her ho ...more
Jenifer
By the time I got to the end of the first page of Michelle Obama's captivating memoir, I knew I was going to spend the whole rest of the day (and night) binge-reading it. Obama steers clear of gossip, scandal, controversy and, for the most part, politics...and still tells a fascinating, inspiring story about her incredible life from her earliest memories to the present. Michelle's writing often reflects her down-to-earth demeanor and sharp sense of humor, but also reveals a great deal of emotion ...more
Jessica
The only people giving this negative reviews are dopes who don't realize that it's standard for a First Lady to write a memoir shortly after her husband leaves office (so, no she's not trying to remain relevant any more than any other First Lady was); and no one cares that it was likely ghostwritten (aren't all political books?)

Also, sorry, it's not unbecoming for Michelle Obama to call Donald Trump out for starting a campaign to promote the false, racist idea that her husband was not born in th
Brenda Nelson
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read!!

I read a lot of negative reviews, but I don’t understand why. I enjoyed reading her story from her perspective. Some parts made me sad; however, I’ll always view Michelle Obama as a role model.
Jill
Loved it!!!
Katy
Shelves: 2018
I never thought I could love the Obamas more than I already did. But I do.
Mariann
Nov 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Self indulging...by someone who should be setting a better example for the women and future generations of our country.
Evers☯n
Nov 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
*** I Have Not Read This Book! ***
My, how Unbecoming of a former First Lady!
. . . anyway . . .
I have about as much intention of reading this Pile Of Kindling as I do of climbing to the top of Mount Everest and then Leaping off the summit!
So, you don't like President Donald Trump. Humm, imagine that! I'm positive that there are many Americans (myself included) who feel the same way about your husband and you!
So go back into retirement already and stop attempting to achieve political relevance an
Gphalen
rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Oprah's New Book Club Pick: Becoming by Michelle Obama 2 19 6 hours, 44 min ago
The Geek Girls Bo...: November 2018 read! 1 30 Nov 01, 2018 01:55PM
Final Round
3,652,162 Votes Cast
Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama is the wife of the forty-fourth President of the United States, Barack Obama, and is the first African-American First Lady of the United States.

She was born and grew up on the South Side of Chicago and graduated from Princeton University and Harvard Law School. After completing her formal education, she returned to Chicago and accepted a position with the law firm
“Now I think it’s one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child—What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end.” 2 likes
“When you’re First Lady, America shows itself to you in its extremes.” 0 likes