What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Santa Claus Book
This topic is about The Santa Claus Book
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Humorous illustrated Christmas book from 80s or early 90s that was geared towards adults as much or moreso than kids. It was a funny portrayal of what life was like at the North Pole for elves and everyone else. Large format book. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zebby (new)

Zebby | 10 comments This was a book we had in our house during the Christmas holidays during the late 80s and/or early 90s. It was a large format book, and I believe it was hardcover. It was about life at the North Pole for elves, the Clauses, etc. It talked about their living conditions, what they ate, etc. Think of if the movie "Elf" followed the elves at the North Pole vs. following Will Ferrell.

The humor was more adult-oriented, I think...akin to the humor in "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales" or "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs", but the illustration style was very different than those. It wasn't as alternative or dark-toned...it was generally brighter and more akin to what you'd expect from an illustrated Christmas book. Thanks in advance!

Aspiring Scribbler | 67 comments Could it be The Santa Claus Book by Alden Perkes? One of my absolute favourites growing up... and I made the recipe for "Santa's favourite Cookies" out of it several times!

message 3: by Zebby (new)

Zebby | 10 comments Hot tamales, I think this is it!!! It clearly isn't the same subversive humor as the other books I mentioned, but is funny and whimsical and I can see how it'd make you feel more grown up if you were reading it as a 10-year-old. The humor and style match my memory, though. I just ordered it off Amazon (sorry, haters). I'm 90% sure this is it. Thank you!!!

message 4: by Zebby (new)

Zebby | 10 comments By the way...if this is it, you've just scratched a very long itch for me and my family! Not in a creepy way. I'll follow up when the book comes in.

Aspiring Scribbler | 67 comments I hope your search is over! A book so well loved in our family that the covers fell off from repeated re-readings...

message 6: by Zebby (new)

Zebby | 10 comments I got the book today. Thank you, Aspiring,it was the right book! How do I make this "solved" or "closed"?

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments I'm glad you found your book, Zebby! Now I want to read it, because I love books with recipes. To mark this thread solved, click "edit" to the right of your header, move the thread from the Unsolved folder to the appropriate Solved folder (I'm not sure if this would go in the Adult's, Children's, or Other folder), and put the title of the book in the "about" box.

Aspiring Scribbler | 67 comments Rosa wrote: "I'm glad you found your book, Zebby! Now I want to read it, because I love books with recipes. To mark this thread solved, click "edit" to the right of your header, move the thread from the Unsolve..."

Non-fiction, surely? ;-)

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Hawkins | 2 comments Try J.R.R. Tolkien "The Father Christmas Letters" published 1976.

message 10: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Letters from Father Christmas for Andrea's suggestion.

message 11: by Rosa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments I read this book, Zebby and Aspiring. It was pretty amusing, and I liked the inspirational message at the end, but could you believe the anti-Soviet propaganda in that one chapter?

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments The Santa Claus Book for the trackable link.