Start by marking “Letters from Father Christmas” as Want to Read:
Letters from Father Christmas

Letters from Father Christmas

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  9,047 ratings  ·  1,153 reviews
Die Briefe vom Weihnachtsmann zeigen den Autor J.R.R. Tolkien von seiner gemütvollsten Seite. Der Familienvater hat diese heiteren, atmosphärisch dichten Geschichten eigens für seine Kinder erfunden. Illustrationen und Briefe sind für Leser jeden Alters und ebenso zum Vorlesen geeignet.

Jedes Jahr im Dezember traf für Tolkiens Kinder ein Umschlag mit einer Briefmarke vom No
Published November 15th 2004 by Mariner Books (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from Father Christmas, please sign up.
Leigha He said, "nearly all the Alison Uttley books have been burnt." Alison Uttley is the name of an author of children books. Moldy Warp (#11 in a series)…moreHe said, "nearly all the Alison Uttley books have been burnt." Alison Uttley is the name of an author of children books. Moldy Warp (#11 in a series) is one of them that he mentions: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...(less)

·  9,047 ratings  ·  1,153 reviews

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Tolkien must have been an excellent farther to his children. To put so much thought and effort into the making of these letters speaks of nothing but devotion. They’re so well crafted by a master of the pen. The calligraphy, alone, is fantastic to look at. It’s quite revealing too. It’s like a little peek into the family life of the Tolkien’s, one which shows the patriarch as a kindly gentleman that he no doubt was. This is a great little book.

description

I do recommend this edition in particular because i
Cecily
description[image error]description

A lovely collection of illustrated letters from Father Christmas ("aided" by JRRT) to Tolkien's children.

The tone and content of the letters changes over time to reflect the children growing up and incorporate aspects of their lives and things they'd written to him, but there is some continuity in the stories of what FC and his elves etc get up to. Lovely illustrations too.

There are similarities with Mervyn Peake's Letters from a Lost Uncle, which I reviewed HERE.

A Bonding Book th
Joey Woolfardis
[First read: 28th November, 2015.
Second read: 10th December, 2016.]

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien is best known for his high fantasy series The Lord of the Rings and the pre-cursor, The Hobbit, as well as being one of the foremost respected professors on Anglo-Saxon Britain, but behind closed doors he was a wonderful father and a tremendous family man. He had four children, John, Michael, Christopher and Priscilla, and with every passing year they would receive hand-written and illustrated replies fr
Diane S ☔
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: let-it-snow
3.5 When I first started reading this I thought what a fantastic idea, one I wish I has thought of when my children were young. Soon though I was caught up in the letters, waiting for the further adventures of polar bear and the cubs, the goblins and the old Ancient bear as well as the happenings on the North Pole. We can tell as the children age and quit believing in Santa as well as insights to what is happening in the rest of the world. Loved the colored pictures too.

Clever, clever, Tolkien.
Matt
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: BAM The Bibliomaniac
Shelves: audiobook, buddy-read
Join me in my final annual Christmas season reading. Here is the perfect story for young and not so young alike. Please find my original review here:

From the annals of one of the 20th century’s greatest writers of fantasy comes this collection of letters, perfect for the holiday season. A collection of letters written by Nicholas Christmas to the Tolkien children, this book is filled with the Christmas spirit and all the lovely stories that take place each year at the North Pole. The letters, pe
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Quite charming collection of letters Tolkien wrote ummm I mean Nicholas Christmas wrote to Tolkien's children during the 1930s. I think this would be best enjoyed with a cup of eggnog, a fireside, a hardback copy to look at the illustrations, and the audio copy to follow along with the reader.

12/25/18 annual audio reread #268
Shirley Revill
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook of this wonderful story and it was absolutely magical.
The audiobook comprises of a collection of letters from Father Christmas with cheery festive music before each letter.
The narration and the music was absolutely superb and my Grandchildren where entranced with this book.
You couldn't hear a pin drop while the story was being told and I now feel in the mood for putting the Christmas tree up and decorating the house in November.
Absolutely magical and captures the spir
Johann (jobis89)
This was so sweet and heartfelt. Such lucky children to have Tolkien as their father. And such gorgeous illustrations!! Really worth reading around Christmas time. This will certainly be a book I share with my future children.
Anne Goldschrift
Ein Buch, von dem man sich wünscht, es würde niemals enden ♡
m a r y l i z
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-Read December 2018:

This never fails to make me smile. My favorite Christmas read. :)

/ / /

Re-Read December 2017:

OKAY SO IT'S ADORABLE. And it's written by Tolkien.

That's all you need to know. ;)

/ / /

I loved this so much! *hugs book* It's definitely the best Christmas book I've read--and it will for sure be something I reread again at Christmastime. ^_^ Honestly, it reminds me so much of The Hobbit, purely because of the fun characters and humor. An instant Christmas favorite. <3
Tea Jovanović
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lep trud s Tolkinove strane spram njegovo četvoro potomaka... :) Zbirka pisama koja im je on pisao u ime Deda-Mraza :))))

Prvi put će biti objavljena na srpskom u izdanju Publik praktikuma, za Beogradski sajam...
Mark
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book which contains all the letters JRRRRRRRRR Tolkien wrote to his children in the guise of Father Christmas from the first to his eldest son in 1920 right through to the last one he wrote to his only daughter in 1943. Each letter purports to be an account of various scrapes and adventures that happen to the man in red and his various helpers and hinderers and the lovely thing is that so totally enamoured with this correspondence were his children during their younger years ...more
Markus
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, tolkien
Another great Christmas read amidst snow-clad mountains. It really puts one in the mood. For some reason I have never read this one, although a copy has been standing on my shelf my entire life.

Letters from Father Christmas is an excellent little collection of Tolkien's annual Christmas letters to his children, in the guise of Father Christmas himself. It's a beautiful little insight into Tolkien as a father, and into the meaning of Christmas for the man and his family.

Christmas (or Yule as I ty
Gary Sundell
A charming book. I will undoubtedly return to this next Christmas time for a reread. Wonderful illustrations by the author.
E.F.B.
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
2017 review: ADORABLE! <333 I think reading this may become an annual Christmas tradition.

2018 update: Just listened to it on audio for the second year in a row and still love it. <3 Definitely a keeper for the list of annual traditions. :D
Paul
In 1920 the Tolkien children started receiving letters from Father Nicholas Christmas. In the letters he starts to tell his children the stories and events of that year, and what he has done. There are a number of characters that surround Father Christmas, from a clumsy polar bear, elves and the battles that they have with the goblins that live in the North pole.

The letters at the beginning are quite short, and as they get older the stories get longer and the themes darker. Each letter came with
Melindam
A lovely read, I would have loved to be one of Tolkien's kids & leading an extensive correspondence with St. Nick.

(Sorry Dad, I love you & you are the top and the uncontested & uncrowned King of DIY-land, but you would have never written/drawn me letters pretending to be Father Christmas!!! :)
Antje
Für mich gehört dieses Buch zur zauberhaftesten Weihnachtslektüre. Obwohl J.R.R. Tolkien über zwanzig Jahre lang zu jedem Weihnachtsfeste an seine Kinder, getarnt als Weihnachtsmann schrieb, fesseln mich seine Abenteuer und die des Polarbären auch als erwachsene Leserin. Welche Mühe und Zeit er investierte, um seine Geschichten zu illustrieren und seine Handschrift alt und krakelig aussehen zu lassen, finde ich rührend. Wer wünscht sich nicht einen solchen einfallsreichen Vater und solche lieben ...more
Quentin Wallace
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an interesting person Mr. J.R.R. Tolkien was. It's hard to give this anything less than 5 stars just based on the nature of this one.

It's comprised of a series of letters Tolkien wrote to his children "from Santa." (A period of over 20 years!) He creates a very magical and well thought out North Pole, complete with Santa Claus, his helper Polar Bear, his elf secretary and more. And not just letters, but wonderful drawings and calligraphy, including an entire new alphabet, as Tolkien was so
leynes
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
((This the perfect Christmas read, just saying, get your hands on this book now, and either read it yourself or give it to your loved ones!))

I can't believe I'm saying this but I finished this book bawling last night. I haven't cried so much upon finishing a book since ... oh well, I forgot I read Crooked Kingdom at the beginning of March but, you get me, it's been a month. ;)

This collection of Christmas letters touched me in a way I would've never anticipated. They are a manifestation of "show
Allison Tebo
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
As part of my 2017 challenge, I'm am reading mostly books recommended or given a 5 star rating from my friends.

My friend, Mary Horton, gave this book a five star rating.

A sweet book, what a charming gift Tolkien gave to his children! A wonderful legacy. I was especially impressed by Tolkien's beautiful handwriting and lively illustrations.
Mayke (acozyliving)☕️
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely book! If I would've gotten letters like these from Santa, I would've never stopped believing as a kid. So interesting to see the amount of children he writes for diminish as they grow older.
Carla
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O livro mais ternurento do meu ano de leituras! Um livro que me fez voltar atrás no tempo e me fez reviver os tempos em que celebrei o Natal com o entusiasmo próprio das crianças.
Azumi
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No creo que me haya leido un libro de temática navideña más bonito que este. Desprende magia y ternura, no hago más que imaginarme las caras de los hijos de Tolkien cada vez que recibían las cartas con esas historias tan entrañables y graciosas y esos dibujos tan preciosos.

Lo mejor el Oso Polar y sus tropelías :D

Super recomendable. Navideño 100%
Anne
This is a wonderful collection of letters and beautiful drawings!
Because this is a non-fiction book (in some way or another), I don't feel like I'm in the position to judge every aspect of the letters, but I definitely enjoyed reading every single one of them.
The little stories that are told are simply lovely and also a lot of fun. I laughed quite a bit throughout the book.
Michelle Curie
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
"So, my dears, I hope you will be happy this Christmas and not quarrel, and will have some good games with your Railway all together. Don’t forget old Father Christmas, when you light your tree."

Merry Christmas! Not many other books carry that amount of pure and unrestricted love in their words. Letters from Father Christmas is a collection of letters that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote to his children over the course of twenty years from when his oldest son John turned three until the youngest member o
I. Mónica del P Pinzon Verano
Iba siendo contraproducente…

Este año me dio por buscar mi perdido espíritu de navidad, también quería sentirme niña otra vez. Aún recuerdo la emoción de ver regalos empacados, de ir en el carro el 24 hacia la casa de algún familiar y sentir ganas de llorar o de reírme (ese sentimiento de inmensidad es difícil de definir por un niño) o de decir “estoy feliz” solo por el hecho de ver el alumbrado en las calles, todo era tan resplandeciente y maravilloso; y es así como después de una búsqueda larga
Sandra
Such a delightful book! I had to keep myself from smiling the whole time.
Tolkien's imagination and creativity knows no boundaries.

A neat envelope, stamp included.

The letters got more elaborate over the years, a swirly here, a curly there.

And most of the letters had a colorful drawing included.

The letters tell the story of Father Christmas and the happenings and antics of him and his friends, helpers and enemies. Polar Bear knows how to kick some Goblin ass. His nephews Paksu and Valkotukka are
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

This was a delightful book, what a thoughtful father JR Tolken was!!!

Between the twenties and forties JR Tolken wrote letters to his children from Father Christmas. I enjoyed listening to the tales of Father Christmas and his helpful but disaster prone polar bear.

I would love to see a copy of the original book with the illustrations Tolkien included with his letters.

This was a wonderful book which I will listen to again and again

Corinna
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-reads
How is it possible that I've gone 28 years without reading this?

I think Tolkien could have wrote the ingredient list on a box of cereal, and I'd be enamored by his magic. The way he viewed the world was just beautiful.

This particular work is a collection of letters he wrote over the years in which he impersonated Father Christmas to the youngest members of his family. Not only is it cleverly written and overwhelms your heart with Christmas joy, it's a peek into his personal life. The stories m
December Group Read 1 1 Dec 14, 2017 11:41AM
Paper & Glam Book...: December 2016: Letters From Father Christmas 18 161 Dec 13, 2016 09:49AM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Group Read for December 2012: Letters from Father Christmas 13 99 Aug 03, 2016 11:38AM
The Bibliophiles: December BOTM 9 11 Dec 16, 2015 02:50PM

• Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary, together with Sellic Spell
  • The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
  • The Jolly Christmas Postman
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • A Child's Christmas in Wales
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • Miracle on 34th Street
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • The Birds' Christmas Carol
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • The Christmas Magic
  • The Twenty-four Days Before Christmas (Austin Family, #2.5)
  • Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • The True Gift: A Christmas Story
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lang
“If you find that not many of the things you asked for have come, and not perhaps quite so many as sometimes, remember that this Christmas all over the world there are a terrible number of poor and starving people.” 40 likes
“I hope you will like the little things I have sent you. You seem to be most interested in Railways just now, so I am sending you mostly things of that sort. I send as much love as ever, in fact more. We have both, the old Polar Bear and I, enjoyed having so many nice letters from you and your pets. If you think we have not read them you are wrong; but if you find that not many of the things you asked for have come, and not perhaps quite as many as sometimes, remember that this Christmas all over the world there are a terrible number of poor and starving people. I (and also my Green Brother) have had to do some collecting of food and clothes, and toys too, for the children whose fathers and mothers and friends cannot give them anything, sometimes not even dinner. I know yours won’t forget you. So, my dears, I hope you will be happy this Christmas and not quarrel, and will have some good games with your Railway all together. Don’t forget old Father Christmas, when you light your tree.” 1 likes