PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [Copy Cat Challenge] > September Copy Cat Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Duration: September 1-30, 2018
Partner pairings announced: September 1 (announced in this thread)

For FULL details of how the copy cat challenge works, please visit the 'About Copy Cat Challenge' post here...

SUMMARY:
In this challenge, participants are paired up to choose and read a book from their partner's read shelf and compare how they each rated the book. It's a fun way to discover new books, to read from different genre(s), and to make PenPal connections. This challenge repeats monthly, and you sign-up separately for each month you wish to participate.

COMPLETING THE CHALLENGE
- Week 1: Review your paired partner's 'Read shelf' and choose a book(s) to read. Post to this thread to update your partner on the book chosen. (You can ask them for suggestions too!)
- Week 1-4: Begin reading, and post any updates/thoughts as you read.
- Week 3-4: Complete your read, and post to the thread with final thoughts on the book and comparing how you and your partner each rated the book.

Participation = Post to thread (book choice), Read book, Post to thread (finished book thoughts)

NOTE:
- Please only sign-up if you are confident you have time to choose and read a book. If you are no longer able to participate after signing up, message a Mod or update this thread, so we can re-match, and no-one is left without a partner for the month!
- Remember to re-visit this thread on September 1 to see who you have been paired up with for the month (adding a calendar reminder helps!)

message 2: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments I would like to sign up!

message 3: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 10 comments Me too!

message 4: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Sign me up, please! :)

message 5: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments I'm in!

message 6: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments I'll give this one a go too, please!

message 7: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Count me in!

message 8: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) sign me up please! :)

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Gobin | 1 comments Sign me up!

message 10: by Kaviya (new)

Kaviya (kaviyaarivoli) Sign me up too please

message 11: by Sebsopor (new)

Sebsopor | 5 comments Sign me up.

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Count me in :)

message 13: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 10 comments Hey, I'm sorry to say that some stuff's come up, and I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have to read in the near future. So I'm going to withdraw before I end up really behind for my book. I am going to fill out the matching survey, though. I should have some time to chat if nothing else :)

message 14: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Adrian wrote: "Hey, I'm sorry to say that some stuff's come up, and I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have to read in the near future. So I'm going to withdraw before I end up really behind for my book. I a..."

Hey, Adrian! Thanks for letting me know! Hope you still find some time for yourself with working and such! We look forward to seeing you back for another month's CCC (:

message 15: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments I'm going to pull participants in a few hours! I will not have access to the computer this weekends and want to make sure I get this started before I go! Last chance to sign up!

message 16: by Zoe (last edited Aug 31, 2018 11:48AM) (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments September Pairings:

Kristina & Syndi
Amber & Jazzy
Mion & Chloe
Ashley & Alahomora310
Kaviya & Anne
Annie & Sebsopor

COMPLETING THE CHALLENGE
- Week 1: Review your paired partner's 'Read shelf' and choose a book(s) to read. Post to this thread to update your partner on the book chosen. (You can ask them for suggestions too!)
- Week 1-4: Begin reading, and post any updates/thoughts as you read.
- Week 3-4: Complete your read, and post to the thread with final thoughts on the book and comparing how you and your partner each rated the book.

message 17: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Hi Mion! I've been looking through your shelves but was wondering if you could help? I'm doing the OWLs at the same time as this, but was wondering if you could think of any of your books, of the top of your head, that have a mysterious symbol on the cover, or a book about alchemy? Thanks!

message 18: by Anne ✨ (last edited Sep 01, 2018 07:35AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Hi Kaviya!

Welcome to the group and to this challenge! I'm your partner!
I'm going to read
Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
from your read shelf - I think this will be so interesting, he's such an innovative visionary.

I hope you'll find something of interest on my read shelf. Let me know if you want any suggestions.

message 19: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments Hi, Kristina

I scrolled through your Read list and found The Two Towers which I have been meaning to read for months. So I'll read it for this challenge.

Hope you find an interesting book on my Read shelf.

message 20: by Tiina (last edited Sep 01, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Chloe wrote: "Hi Mion! I've been looking through your shelves but was wondering if you could help? I'm doing the OWLs at the same time as this, but was wondering if you could think of any of your books, of the t..."

Hey Chloe!

I picked Sleeping Giants as a book with a mysterious symbol on the cover and recently finished it. I don't think I have anything else that would qualify for it (unless you count a couple of books like Daodejing that have Chinese characters on some editions, so they can be rather mysterious as well sometimes). If you're into sci-fi, Sleeping Giants was pretty great. I really liked the way it was structured - in interviews and diary entries.

As for alchemy, the first book that pops to my head is The Alchemist which I don't remember much about. I guess it would be a good time to reread it if I can't find anything else for my own OWLs!

The first book I've picked from your shelves is the Daughter of the Pirate King. I have it as an audio book and I'm enjoying the narration so far - I'm only one chapter in though, so I can't say how I feel about the story yet.

M.

message 21: by Anne ✨ (last edited Sep 02, 2018 07:01AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Chloe/Mion - If you're looking for another option for an alchemy read for OWLs , I adored this book: Strange the Dreamer

It's a fantasy/mystery of old with kingdoms & deserts & a lost city called Weep. With all the characters you can imagine: princes, warriors, gods, ghosts, alchemists, angels and dreamers! The first part of the book has a strong theme of alchemy.

There's a sequel coming this October that I cannot wait for: Muse of Nightmares

message 22: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Hi Anne - thanks for your recommendation, I'll be picking Strange the Dreamer up!

Hi Mion - I've decided to give Sleeping Giants a go, even though it sounds like something I wouldn't normally pick up! A lot more of the books I want to pick up for the OWLs are on your read list as well so I'll be moving on to those after!

message 23: by Jazzy (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:05PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Dear Amber,

Hope you are keeping well. Are you ready to READ?
I shall be reading Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams this month.

Works out very well for me as I read the other 4 books in the omnibus last week!
Hope you find a treasure as well!

Jazzy

message 24: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Jazzy wrote: "Dear Amber,

Hope you are keeping well. Are you ready to READ?
I shall be reading Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams this month.

Works out very well for me as I read the ot..."

Always ready to read! Glad you found one that will work for you. That series will always hold a special place in my heart... or, perhaps funny bone, in this case.

I am going to go with A Separate Peace from your shelves. It caught my interest, AND just happens to satisfy a task in another challenge... Win/win :)

message 25: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Amber wrote: "I am going to go with A Separate Peace..."

I love that book! It starts out describing everything in detail so you don't miss anything, then the story starts up. I read it many, many times.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Jazzy

message 26: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments Dear Syndi,

I hope you enjoy the Two Towers! I looked through you shelf and I narrowed it down to The Metamorphosis and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I hope you be able to read both since they have been on my radar for some time.

Happy Reading!

Kristina

message 27: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Hi Annie! I just looked through your shelf and compared it to mine! We have very similar reading tastes! I'm excited! I chose Lord of the Flies and requested it from my library so hopefully I get it soon! I've been meaning to read it for a while!

message 28: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Hi Kaviya,

I finished Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future ! It was fascinating and I zipped through it over two days. I rated it 4.5*

message 29: by Amber M. (last edited Sep 08, 2018 11:07PM) (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments

I finished A Separate Peace yesterday, and can definitely list this one among my favorites now as well... five stars!

message 30: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Hi Zoe,

You right we do! I still can't decide, I think I will just do a random draw and see what I end up with, will do that tomorrow if I'm still lost.

message 31: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Amber wrote: "
I finished A Separate Peace yesterday, and can definitely list this one among my favorites now as well... five stars!"

I liked it so much that I named one of my dogs Finny

message 32: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Jazzy wrote: "Amber wrote: "
I finished A Separate Peace yesterday, and can definitely list this one among my favorites now as well... five stars!"

I liked it so much that I named one of my dogs Finny"

Perfect.

message 33: by Kaviya (new)

Kaviya (kaviyaarivoli) Hi Anne

I have picked up 'I'll be gone in the dark' by Michelle McNamara .

I have read through a few portions of the book and find it really insightful and fill of details.

I hope we can have a better discussion once I finish reading the book.

message 34: by Jazzy (last edited Sep 16, 2018 08:16AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Dear Amber,

Hope you're enjoying A Separate Peace, and I'm just tucking into Mostly Harmless. Trillion has learnt that she should never go back for her bag, or that sometimes she should, and needs to find out the difference between the two.

I think maybe she should just wear a backpack all the time.

Oh, and there's a very famous venue here called Trillion's. I've been there quite a few times.

Jazzy

message 35: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Jazzy wrote: "Dear Amber,

Hope you're enjoying A Separate Peace, and I'm just tucking into Mostly Harmless. Trillion has learnt that she should never go back for her bag, or that sometimes she should, and needs to find out the difference between the two.

I think maybe she should just wear a backpack all the time.

Oh, and there's a very famous venue here called Trillion's. I've been there quite a few times."

Ah, jealous! I'll have to add that to my list of field trips...

message 36: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments Kristina wrote: "Dear Syndi,

I hope you enjoy the Two Towers! I looked through you shelf and I narrowed it down to The Metamorphosis and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I hope you be able to read bot..."

Hi Kristina,

I'm currently reading The Two Towers and I really enjoyed it so far. I haven't been able to read a lot this month, but hopefully I will be able to finish the book by the end of this month.

How's your reading going?

message 37: by Kaviya (new)

Kaviya (kaviyaarivoli) Hi Anne ,

I finished reading I'll be gone in the dark by Michelle McNamara this week. Loved the book so much.

This challenge made me pick books that I usually wouldn't choose and thanks Anne for helping me choose the right book.

Hope to read more such books in the future.

message 38: by Anne ✨ (last edited Sep 19, 2018 09:22PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments That's great Kaviya, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did!

I don't know if you were like me and searched the internet for more info on the case... they did finally catch the serial killer just this year in April, and he had still been living in California. The investigators used genetic information on a genealogy website, to narrow down the pool of suspects. It must be a huge relief for his victims and their families to finally have some closure with him behind bars.

I don't often read true-crime, but this was definitely a good one :)

A couple of other true-crime books I put on my TBR:
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - an older classic by a famed American writer. The story is about a family savagely murdered in small-town Holcomb, Kansas in 1959.

The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives by Dashka Slater. A hate-crime involving teens on their bus ride from school, in Oakland California in 2013.

message 39: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments Syndi,

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying The Two Towers. I finally was able to get a hold of a copy so I am hoing to start it in the next day or so!

Kristina

message 40: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Dear Amber.

How are you? I am fine.
ha. Well I read the book, 5 stars as usual!

Jazzy

message 41: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments Syndi,

I just finished The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and it was not really what I expected. I for some reason assumed the voice was first person, so I was surprised to read that the view of the book was from the lawyer. I enjoyed reading the transformations from an outside perspective and then at the last chapter being able to read Dr. Jekyll's side of the story. I really enjoyed reading Dr. Jekyll's personal inner struggle and reading his accounts of all the events. Overall I enjoyed the story, but I would have to say my favorite part was the last chapter and the physical description of the transformation. I would recommend this book to any fan of classic literature. I am looking forward to your views of The Two Towers. Have a great weekend!

Kristina

message 42: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Hi, Zoe, I am halfway through Little Fires Everywhere, and I can't put it down! I want to know more about Mia and her past as well as what Izzy will do next! Hope you are enjoying Lord of the flies :)

message 43: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Annie wrote: "Hi, Zoe, I am halfway through Little Fires Everywhere, and I can't put it down! I want to know more about Mia and her past as well as what Izzy will do next! Hope you are enjoying Lord of the flies :)"

Hi Annie! I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying it! I am in about the same place with Lord of the Flies! Brings me back to younger days and the taunting/young drama that came along with it.... though I know it gets darker soon :O I'll keep you updated

message 44: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Hey everyone! September is already almost over! At this point we're at weeks 3-4 of our challenge timeline:

Even though I am not done with my book this month (whoops in a bit of a reading slump) I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's reviews! 6 of 12 have already shared their opinions - can't wait to hear from the other half!

message 45: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Also - the sign ups for the October Copy Cat Challlenge have opened!

message 46: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments Kristina wrote: "Syndi,

I just finished The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and it was not really what I expected. I for some reason assumed the voice was first person, so I was surprised to ..."

Hi Kristina!

Glad you enjoy The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde :)

I just finished The Two Towers tonight. One word to describe the book is beautiful. The description of the Middle Earth universe is very detailed, the story flow is interesting. I gave it 5 stars :)

message 47: by Anne ✨ (last edited Oct 01, 2018 03:11PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Last call for October copycat... So far we've got: Alahomora310, Amber, Annie, Chloe, Mion, Nikki, for next month...

Last chance - anyone else?
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 48: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Annie wrote: "Hi, Zoe, I am halfway through Little Fires Everywhere, and I can't put it down! I want to know more about Mia and her past as well as what Izzy will do next! Hope you are enjoying Lord of the flies :)"

Hi Annie! I am still reading lord of the flies! I haven't forgotten about you just been very busy at work! I will update you here when I finish (:

message 49: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Here's a summary of the books chosen in the challenge for September.

Kristina The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde  | Syndi The Two Towers
Amber A Separate Peace | Jazzy Mostly Harmless
Chloe Sleeping Giants  |  Mion Daughter of the Pirate King
Ashley tbc | Alahomora She said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom...
Anne Elon Musk: Tesla, Space X... | Kaviya I'll be gone in the dark
Annie Little Fires Everywhere | Zoe Lord of the Flies

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien A Separate Peace by John Knowles Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5) by Douglas Adams Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1) by Tricia Levenseller She Said Yes The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall by Misty Bernall Elon Musk Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance I'll Be Gone in the Dark One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng Lord of the Flies by William Golding

message 50: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Sorry, Zoe just saw that I didn't update you on Little Fires Everywhere, I really enjoyed the book once it started to pick up, and it was easy to relate with some characters and there were some that I misunderstood. However, the ending really annoyed me as I wanted more information on certain people...