Start by marking “Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1)

Sleeping Giants (Themis Files #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  40,314 Ratings  ·  6,594 Reviews
A girl named Rose is riding her new bike near home in Deadwood, South Dakota, when she falls through the earth. She wakes up at the bottom of a square-shaped hole, its walls glowing with intricate carvings. But the firemen who come to save her peer down upon something even stranger: a little girl in the palm of a giant metal hand.

Seventeen years later, the mystery of the b
Hardcover, First Edition, 320 pages
Published April 26th 2016 by Del Rey

Emily May
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, sci-fi
You have to understand that this flies in the face of everything we know about American civilizations.

Sleeping Giants is being compared to the bestseller and now successful Matt Damon film - The Martian - which is misleading, if not entirely inaccurate.

The two books' stories, narrative styles, characters and overall tones are actually very different. Almost all the details about this book do not resemble The Martian at all. However, they do share a key similarity.

For me, The Martian is not a
Rick Riordan
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This sci-fi novel got a lot of buzz when it came out, and I see why. The basic story: pieces of a gigantic metal robot, thousands of years old, are discovered scattered around the earth, buried deep in the earth or under the sea. Where did they come from? What are they for? A team is assembled in top secrecy to rebuild the robot and figure out how it works. The story is told in a series of interviews -- reports submitted by an anonymous interviewer who is pulling most of the strings behind the p ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 I need to continue this series ASAP!

It's been a while since I've been this excited about a new series! Lots of political intrigues, a quick read told in interviews and journal entries... perfect to fight the reading slump I've been in!

Bradley
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Update 2/17/18:

Boy, I keep re-reading this stuff and I never seem to have any problems doing so. I'm still having fun and it's still popcorn fun!

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES?

So why did I re-read? I just got the pre-release of book three, Only Human. It's CALLING TO ME! :)

Update 12/10/16:

Just re-read and what can I say? I still love it. Didn't really miss anything from the first time, but that certainly doesn't matter when I'm just having fun. :)

Robots! ROBOTS!!!! *squeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

And now that I've go
Pouting Always
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really dumb so I didn't realize I had the first book in the series already and I read the second one but I still really enjoyed the first one even though I read it afterwards. I knew what was going to happen but I still felt excited while reading and it kept my attention. Also I love Kara and now I'm even more depressed about the second one. I didn't like this one as much as the second though for some reason even though the plot line was cool, I guess it just wasn't enough character developm ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, March 2, 2018. Man, I loved this SF novel. The sequel, Waking Gods, was published at the beginning of April 2017, and the last book in this series is being published this spring.

Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

I first read Sleeping Giants six months ago and was immediately sucked into its world. I stayed up far too late reading it, finishing it the next day when I really should have been working. History repeats itself: When it came time to write this review,
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
This book is a work of art.

Even though it was written in interviews, journal entries, articles and transcripts, the details were never once left out and there was not a single moment when a certain interview felt detached from the rest of the book, which is extraordinary. All the files merged together very well and once you finish reading a chapter, the part of the story revealed in that chapter adds to everything you already know and forms a steady timeline of events which is amazing.

It was p
Petrik
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petrik by: Bil
Shelves: owned-ebooks
Sleeping Giants is an interesting read for anyone who loves Sci-Fi and mecha or giant robot in their story.

This first book in 'Themis Files' Sci-Fi series by Sylvain Neuvel and it began with an 11 years old kid, Rose Franklin falling down through a rabbit hole (not really but still, a hole). After she was saved, turns out that the place she fell upon was on a giant metal hand. The story then fast forward to 17 years later with Rose now leading a top secret team to unravel the origin, mystery and
Faye, la Patata
In my humble opinion, this book was 320 pages of info dump. The Martian style except somehow more... overwhelming.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not new to this kind of format. Like World War Z and Illuminae (Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff), the story of Sleeping Giants is told in the form of interviews conducted by a mysterious, nameless person who seems to have a lots and lots and lots of power as well as in the form of oral diary entries. I loved it when it was used in WWZ and Illuminae becau
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Listened to this on audio, and it does not disappoint!

Great cast of narrators, intriguing story, I was hooked.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites
I GASPED AT THE ENDING OH MY GOD THIS WAS SO FANTASTIC??????????
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love the idea of this giant metal alien hand thing that has been found and they don't have a clue what is going on!

When Rose Franklin was riding her bike on her 11th birthday she saw something . . . when she gets off her bike to investigate, she falls down in a crater in the a giant metal hand. Well that would freak me clean out.

Cut to 17 years later and Dr. Rose Franklin is now a physicist working on the giant hand. (among other things)

The story is told through interviews from a silent pers
❄️Nani❄️
Jun 20, 2018 is currently reading it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I only meant to try and chapter and put it down. One chapter. I’m now on page 135...

Suffice it to say, my interest is seriously piqued.
Ahmed  Ejaz
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
I don't like Transformers. So that's for sure I don't like robot giants. From the synopsis, I didn't want to pick up this one. BUT the last paragraph made me to pick up this book at the very instant. Guess why? Because there is written a name of the book which I love more than any other book in the Sci-Fi genre up until now. Of course, The Martian! I can't refuse to read a book which has a touch of The Martian.

Sleeping Giants is an amazing debut of Sylvain Neuvel. Loved the idea. Loved the wr
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔

I may be the black sheep with this one, but ugh. What a letdown. I am not a fan of the interview/journal method of story-telling (and had no idea this was one of those when I requested it from Netgalley), but I still started to get into the story nonetheless. However, by one point, I just lost interest. It pretty much ceased to be a sci-fi novel and just turned into political intrigue and military operations.

If you think you're going to get this cool story about an alien robot - you're not. The
Trina (Between Chapters)
This was so intriguing! It's dossier style, a collection of interviews and journals from people who have found unexplained objects around the world and find themselves wrapped up in a secret project. I've heard this compared to Illuminae because of the style, and yes, I think fans of Illuminae would enjoy this, but it isn't as much of a production.

I listened to the audiobook and that format fits the interview style VERY well since the book is mostly dialogue. Highly recommend it.

The only thing I
Matthew
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Found this one because of the Goodreads Choice awards last in 2016. Not sure I would have come across it if it wasn’t for that. It is a pretty decent sci-fi/political intrigue story. Very unique – I cannot say I have read anything else quite like it. Definitely the first book in a series – while it does have a bit of a “stand-alone” climax, I find it very difficult to say that this book would stand on its own.

The format is interviews and diary entries. I am not sure if this sort of thing is for
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

"This will change the way we think of the world, the way we see ourselves. This will reshape this planet, and we have an opportunity to help steer that change. How many lives is that worth to you?"

4.5 stars. Some books are just so quotable, you know?

... Well, Sleeping Giants isn't one of them.

It frustrates me to realize that even though I laughed so hard through my read (I even giggled! The infamy!!), I just can't show you. I mean, I could, but you'd probably think I have a terrible sense
j
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
If you only read one science fiction book this year, read this one. You'll dig it.

On the other hand, if you read lots of science fiction books this year, this one probably doesn't need to be one of them.
Piya
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Bonus star 🌟 : The cast of narrators have done a fabulous job. Also,the epilogue had a nice little surprise!😮😀

One of those books where the blurb is much more interesting than the actual book.Great concept ….so much potential…Aah what could have been!

Story begins with the discovery of a giant metal hand. It’s clear pretty soon, that the technologies used are far superior to anything known to us at present. Not only that, tests show that this hand was buried thousands of years ago. Are we not alo
Karen
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read. I am sad I read it because NOW I have to wait over a year for the sequel. This had such imagination and I loved the concept. It is a pretty addictive read right from the start. In the beginning a young girl finds a giant hand. This is the first piece of what is actually a metal type of giant. Years later that woman leads a team to find the rest of the parts to put it all together. Told in a series of interviews with an unnamed narrator, this book was an addictive read. ...more
Andrew Smith
I’ve got a thing for science fiction tales at the moment and this one sounded interesting. Actually ‘sounded’ in the literal sense as I decided to listen to it on audio. The production is impressive, with multiple voices giving this the feel of a script being acted out rather than a book being read. It’s helped by the fact that it’s put together as a series of interviews, journal entries and news articles. Sounds clunky? Well, actually the format worked really well.

A girl falls into a deep hole
Nick T. Borrelli
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Sleeping Giants is an interesting book and somewhat unique. The story revolves around a young girl who falls into a pit near her home only to find that she ended up lying in the palm of a giant metallic hand. Years go by and the young girl grows into adulthood and becomes a physicist studying the same metallic hand as well as other strange body parts that are slowly being discovered around the world. Engraved on many of the metallic parts is a strange type of writing that no linguist has been ab ...more
Althea Ann
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
'Mecha' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecha) meets 'World War Z.'
The 'World War Z' comparison (which this book has been getting a lot) is largely due to the format: the story is told through a series of interviews. However, where the WWZ interviews were all separate, in 'The Sleeping Giant' the main characters are questioned repeatedly, allowing us to get to know them. Most of the debriefings are conducted by a shadowy figure of power whose identity is unclear throughout most of the book.

The st
Drew
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, sci-fi
This book was totally crazy. And AWESOME.

Sleeping Giants had everything I could want from a sci fi - a thrilling, action-filled plot, drama, enough science to keep the mini nerd in me happy, metal giants in the ground, and vibes similar to The Martian, except this book was much darker and moved at a quicker pace. I really love when an author can take something so bizarre - something that shouldn't work - and make it feel perfectly natural. That was the case with Sleeping Giants.

We follow Dr. Ros
Maxwell
Somehow I didn't realize this was the first in a series (duology? trilogy?), and it definitely feels that way. While it has its own plot, the book doesn't really feel complete, and that's one of my biggest pet peeves with series. I want the author to be able to make each installment satisfying in and of itself, and with this one I think more pay-off will come in later installments, which is frustrating.

On the positive side, the full cast audio recording is a really great route for this book! It'
Sana
Just as good of a mindfuck the second time around! Maybe I can finally write a review of this...

-----------

This was so sick and so fucking awesome! I do feel like an idiot for reading it five hundred months before publication because of the long, long wait but, there you have it. \_(ツ)_/
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
16/5 - DNFed at 50% on Audible. In preparation for Only Human, I thought a re-read would help, but the narrator grated on me and it reminded me of everything that annoys me about this series. After listening to it, I would probably downgrade it to about 3 stars - it's frustrating, because it feels like you're listening to interviews after the fact and you have to piece together what's actually happened from people's reactions. The narrator is also totally confident and arrogant - which was annoy ...more
Emma
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
4.5 stars. This was very good indeed! I might sound surprised about this and that is because I am. For the first half I was grumpily muttering in my head about not liking journal style books- didn't get on with World War Z for example. The story was quite interesting but I couldn't identify with the characters.
But then in the second half I found all of my objections evaporated. A fabulous first in series with loads of potential for further adventures (indeed I have already bought Waking Gods!)
  • Join
  • Too Like the Lightning (Terra Ignota, #1)
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
  • Arkwright
  • Dark Orbit
  • Company Town
  • Dark Matter
  • Gemsigns (®Evolution, #1)
  • Central Station
  • Admiral (Evagardian, #1)
  • The Cold Between (Central Corps, #1)
  • Zero World
  • Children of Time
  • The Everything Box (Another Coop Heist #1)
  • Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire #1)
  • Railhead
  • Crosstalk
  • The Flight of the Silvers (Silvers #1)
Sylvain Neuvel dropped out of high school at age 15. Along the way, he has been a journalist, worked in soil decontamination, sold ice cream in California, and peddled furniture across Canada. He received a Ph.D. in linguistics from the University of Chicago. He taught linguistics in India, and worked as a software engineer in Montreal. He is also a certified translator, though he wishes he were a ...more
More about Sylvain Neuvel

Themis Files (3 books)
  • Waking Gods (Themis Files, #2)
  • Only Human (Themis Files, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
“It would make things easier for both of us, especially for you, if we could forgo the part of this conversation where you take me for a complete idiot...” 34 likes
“Family has a way of bringing out the worst in people. Every people.” 34 likes