Challenge Corner discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Team Tangled - Chat ✔

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (last edited Aug 31, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Felicia | 15005 comments Mod

Team Tangled:
✔ Charley Girl
✔ Vanessa
✔ Ivana
✔ Lane
✔ Laura (acquariusgb)
✔ Lucia
✔ Nikk
✔ Ashleigh
✔ RainySun
✔ Ella

Please check in with your team by September 1st! :D

Review Link
Spreadsheet Link
(Your ss was made for your convenience and teamwork. If you choose not to use it or prefer to make your own, that is your teams choice. This spreadsheet will not be updated by a mod it is strictly for team member use only. Please let Felicia know if you have any questions, but this should be self explanatory.)

For this challenge, we will be picking one overall winner to pick a book from the prize lists (chosen at random for fairness)! At the end of our Vacation Quarterly Challenge there will be one winner that wins a prize of getting to choose a book from bookdepository.com. They can pick any book up to $10. For this to happen, we will be combining the points from the two month Pageopoly challenge, this Disney challenge, and our Vacation Quarterly together to pick that winner.

message 2: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (last edited Aug 21, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

*****Each team will be given 3 characters (chosen using random.org). The teams then have to read four categories from those three characters. Once four categories for one character are completed, reviewed, and put on the teams review thread, a mod will then use random.org again to give the team a new character. Character categories cannot be repeated until all eight categories for that character are used on the teams review thread.*****

Characters:

Snow White
- Apple on cover
- White cover (must be at least 50%)
- Poison in title
- Features dwarves
- The number 7 in title or page count
- Group of people on the cover (more than 2)
- MC has black hair
- Features an evil step mom or a witch

Rapunzel
- Tower on cover
- Thorns on cover
- Over 500 pages
- Star(s) on cover
- Involves discovering something about yourself (true identity, powers, etc.)
- Read a book published in 2010
- Where a character was kidnapped (doesn’t matter what age)
- Character falls in love with a bad guy (villain or just the “bad boy” type)

Cinderella
- Blue cover (must be at least 50%)
- Dress on cover
- Glass on cover or in the title
- Read a classic
- Clock on cover
- A shoe on the cover
- A castle on the cover
- MC is a servant or a maid

Aurora
- Needle or wheel on cover
- Features fairies
- Features a royal family
- Read a fairy tale retelling
- MC lives with a foster family
- MC has blonde hair
- MC goes to sleep (must put page and sentence to count)
- Blue and pink on cover

Belle
- Yellow cover (must be at least 50%)
- Flower on cover
- Candle on cover
- Involving a curse
- Mc goes to a ball/club to dance
- Beast or Belle in title
- Someone is an inventor (doesn’t have to be the MC)
- MC has brown hair

Bambi
- Animals on cover (must be more than one animal on the cover)
- Trees on cover
- Involves hunting
- MC is a prince
- Shifter book
- Features a shy character (doesn’t have to be the MC)
- Brown cover (must be at least 50%)
- Title starts with B

Ariel
- Features mermaids
- Beach on cover/ shells on cover
- Takes place at sea
- Green cover (must be at least 50%)
- Involves transforming
- Water on cover
- MC sings
- Author’s first or last name starts with A

Aladdin
- Lamp on the cover
- Wish in title or in series name
- Features a Genie
- Tiger on the cover or as a pet
- 3+ colors on the cover
- Jasmine is the MC’s name
- MC goes undercover or uses an alias
- Involves traveling or flying

Tiana
- Set in New Orleans
- MC is a waitress or works in a restaurant
- Features a sorcerer (doesn’t have to be the MC)
- A book with a genre minority main character
- Frog on cover
- Title has to have F, R, O, G in it (in any order)
- MC plays an instrument
- Kiss in title

Simba
- Set in Africa
- Any animal in the title
- Best friends to lovers book
- Orange cover (must be at least 50%)
- Author’s initials must appear in SIMBA
- MC works with animals
- The word “King” in title
- Features a battle

Elsa
- Set during winter
- MC is a princess
- Tagged as family (must be on the first page to count)
- Snow on cover
- Queen in title
- Features a love triangle
- MC loses parents
- Character with magical powers

Mulan
- Set in China
- Involving a war
- Dragon in the title or on the cover
- Character in disguise
- Sword on cover
- Features an emperor
- MPG Historical Fiction
- Features a cultural tradition

Hercules
- Greek mythology
- Character has super powers
- Author’s initials must be in HERCULES
- MC must make a sacrifice
- MC gets reunited with loved ones at the end
- Published date ends with a 7 (for example: 2007)
- Fire on the cover
- Features MC getting backstabbed or betrayed

Pocahontas
- Wind in title
- Set in America
- Travel to another country
- MPG Romance
- Gold cover (must be at least 50%)
- Deals with Racism
- Features a grandmother
- Authors Initial must be in SMITH

Tarzan
- Authors initials must be in JANE
- MC is an orphan
- A book translated into english
- Umbrella on cover
- Features a monkey
- Set in either a Britain or Victorian era
- Takes place in a Jungle
- Ship on cover

Merida
- Book set in Scotland
- Scottish MC
- Character who uses a bow and arrow
- Features triplets
- MC has red hair
- Bear on cover
- Features a competition
- Word BRAVE in the title

message 3: by Lane (new)

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 440 comments Checking in

Ivana - Diary of Difference (diaryofdifference) Checking in :)

message 5: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Alaina (ameserole) | 63569 comments Mod
Just a friendly reminder, each team will be given 3 characters (chosen using random.org). The teams then have to read four categories from those three characters. Once four categories for one character are completed, reviewed, and put on the teams review thread, a mod will then use random.org again to give the team a new character. Character categories cannot be repeated until all eight categories for that character are used on the teams review thread.

message 6: by Em⋆ (new)

Em⋆ | 95 comments Checking in!

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 167 comments Hiya! Checking in 😀

Laura (acquariusgb) (acquariusgb) | 442 comments Hi, just checking in : )

message 9: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Adding Ashleigh to your team!

message 10: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

I have edited all team spreadsheets to have the new members (if you have had someone new added) in there. If and when new members are added to a team they can go into their teams SS and use the instructions to add their name to their teams SS. :D

message 11: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 98 comments Hi guys, just checking in! :)

message 12: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 678 comments Checking in!

message 13: by ♛Vanessa♛ (new)

♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction (fangirlfaction) | 2590 comments Checking in! =D

message 14: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Your team is all checked in! :D

message 15: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

HELLO EVERYONE! We, the mods, wanted to let you know some things for this upcoming challenge “point-wise”. So, for graphic novels they will ONLY count for 1/4 page points. Doesn’t matter what character you are on, they will just be page points. Screenplays or verses will count for 1/2 the page points. Then we wanted to be nice and creative because we think if you can find a retelling that fits the character that you are reading for - well, you get an extra point! If you have any questions about the upcoming challenge please go to our Q&A thread and a mod will answer your question in a timely manner 😊

message 16: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Oops forgot to do this, adding RainySun to your team! 😊

message 17: by RainySun (new)

RainySun (sunnyrain) | 875 comments Hiiiiiiii :D

Ivana - Diary of Difference (diaryofdifference) Hiii :) Welcome to the team :D

message 19: by Lane (new)

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 440 comments Hey y'all! I'm maid of honor in my best friend's wedding on the 1st and then flying to my new city I'll be living, so I probably won't be able to post reviews until a few days into the month, but I'll be reading!

message 20: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Adding Ella to your team. Please give her a warm welcome. (:

message 21: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Hi Team Tangled! The time has come to announce the characters! Your team's characters are:

Cinderella
Aurora
Aladdin

Please remember you must start your books after midnight GR time for it to count for a category.

Happy planning! :D

message 22: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 98 comments Hi everyone!

Has anyone got any plans, any particular books they would like to read, any BRs they want to set up, etc?

message 23: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 678 comments Hi. Here is the link of the books I have planned for Sept. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Also, I'm participating in buddy reads for:

Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Bellewether by Susanna Kearsley https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I've updated the spreadsheet based on my plans.

message 24: by Ella (new)

Ella Grace | 263 comments Hi! Checking in! This is my first challenge so I’m a little nervous but I’m excited to learn and read some great books!

message 25: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Ella wrote: "Hi! Checking in! This is my first challenge so I’m a little nervous but I’m excited to learn and read some great books!"

Gotcha checked in! :D

If you have any questions, you can ask your teammates and they can try to help ya. But if they don't know you can always ask a mod. (:

message 26: by Ella (new)

Ella Grace | 263 comments Thanks!

message 27: by Ivana - Diary of Difference (last edited Aug 31, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Ivana - Diary of Difference (diaryofdifference) Hi Team!

This is only my second challenge - so I am not sure how it all works, but we'll get there :D

Here are the books I am planning on reading:

BR: A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

Other:
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton The Last Titan by Craig Wainwright The Plus One by Sophia Money-Coutts Some Sunny Day A nurse. A soldier. A wartime love story. by Madge Lambert DELUSIONS by Amy Crandall

message 28: by ♛Vanessa♛ (last edited Aug 31, 2018 11:22PM) (new)

♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction (fangirlfaction) | 2590 comments Here is my September TBR:

Buddy Reads:
Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone, #1) by Annette Marie Bind the Soul (Steel & Stone, #2) by Annette Marie Yield the Night (Steel & Stone, #3) by Annette Marie Reap the Shadows (Steel & Stone, #4) by Annette Marie Unleash the Storm (Steel & Stone, #5) by Annette Marie Steel & Stone Companion Collection (Steel & Stone, #6) by Annette Marie

Still need buddies for everything below here if anyone is interested:
A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V.E. Schwab Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2) by Alexandra Bracken In The Afterlight (The Darkest Minds, #3) by Alexandra Bracken The Darkest Legacy (The Darkest Minds, #4) by Alexandra Bracken Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Nightblood (Frostblood Saga, #3) by Elly Blake Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2) by Susan Dennard Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1) by Mark Lawrence The Undelightened (The Undelightened, #1) by Bentz Deyo The Nethergrim (The Nethergrim, #1) by Matthew Jobin The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2) by Alison Goodman City in Embers (Collector, #1) by Stacey Marie Brown

I will start checking to see if any of my books look like they will fit any of the categories so far. =)

message 29: by RainySun (new)

RainySun (sunnyrain) | 875 comments I'll be started the month by reading Never Fade and In the Afterlight :D

message 30: by Em⋆ (new)

Em⋆ | 95 comments Hi Vanessa! I can BR with you Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1) by Cassandra Clare and Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2) by Cassandra Clare

message 31: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 678 comments Ella wrote: "Hi! Checking in! This is my first challenge so I’m a little nervous but I’m excited to learn and read some great books!"

Hi. I compared our books and it looks like we both have Save the Date by Morgan Matson . Would you like to buddy read this together? If so, let me know when you would like to start and I'll request a link. :)

message 32: by ♛Vanessa♛ (new)

♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction (fangirlfaction) | 2590 comments @RainySun - Did you want to set up a buddy read for Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2) by Alexandra Bracken and In The Afterlight (The Darkest Minds, #3) by Alexandra Bracken ? =)

message 33: by ♛Vanessa♛ (new)

♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction (fangirlfaction) | 2590 comments @Lucia - I planned to read Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1) by Cassandra Clare and Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2) by Cassandra Clare around the 15th. Did you want to buddy read them with me then?

message 34: by Ashleigh (last edited Sep 02, 2018 02:39AM) (new)

Ashleigh | 98 comments Vanessa - I'm gonna start A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab today so I can do a BR of the sequels in a few days?

Ivana - Diary of Difference (diaryofdifference) Guys, I am having some troubles fitting my TBR reads in any category :(

message 36: by Ella (new)

Ella Grace | 263 comments @Charley Girl That would wonderful! I will be able to pick up my copy of “Save the Date” from the library on Tuesday so I would be able to start our buddy read then. Thanks for reaching out!

message 37: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 678 comments Ella wrote: "@Charley Girl That would wonderful! I will be able to pick up my copy of “Save the Date” from the library on Tuesday so I would be able to start our buddy read then. Thanks for reaching out!"

Of course! I'll have the link created and start on Tuesday, Sept. 4th!

message 38: by Charley Girl (last edited Sep 02, 2018 02:40PM) (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 678 comments Ivana A. wrote: "Guys, I am having some troubles fitting my TBR reads in any category :("

The only thing I can see is that if @Ashleigh wanted to move A Darker Shad of Magic to traveling/flying you could use 3+ colors for Daisy's Vintage Cornish Camper Van, The Last Titan or Some Sunny Day.

BTW, I wanted to read the 7.5 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle if you want to buddy ready later in the month.

message 39: by Charley Girl (last edited Sep 02, 2018 02:31PM) (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 678 comments Ella wrote: "@Charley Girl That would wonderful! I will be able to pick up my copy of “Save the Date” from the library on Tuesday so I would be able to start our buddy read then. Thanks for reaching out!"

Here is the link! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I also put the book on the spreadsheet for both of us using 2 different categories for Cinderella.

message 40: by Em⋆ (new)

Em⋆ | 95 comments Vanessa wrote: "@Lucia - I planned to read Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1) by Cassandra Clare and Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2) by Cassandra Clare around the 15th. Did you want to buddy read them with me then?"
Yes, it's perfect! :)

message 41: by Ella (new)

Ella Grace | 263 comments @Charley Girl That all sounds great! This is my first buddy read so I’m looking forward to getting more familiar with how it all works. I’ll let you know once a have the book!

message 42: by Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Sep 03, 2018 02:42PM) (new)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 167 comments Vanessa wrote: "Here is my September TBR:

Buddy Reads:
Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone, #1) by Annette Marie Bind the Soul (Steel & Stone, #2) by Annette Marie "

I will read A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V.E. Schwab , The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2) by Alison Goodman and Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2) by Susan Dennard with you as these have been on
My TBR forever. I would also like to read The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3) by Rick Riordan and The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2) by Rick Riordan and Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout if anyone is interested. Oh and I am starting Visions in Death (In Death, #19) by J.D. Robb if anyone wants to start a BR straight away

message 43: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 678 comments Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Here is my September TBR:

Buddy Reads:
Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone, #1) by Annette Marie [bookcover:Bind the Soul|35238299..."

I can buddy read Visions of Death with you.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 167 comments Charley Girl wrote: "Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Here is my September TBR:

Buddy Reads:
Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson [bookcover:Chase the Dark|3472..."

Great! Are you cool to start straight away as I will go create a buddy thread now :-)

message 45: by ♛Vanessa♛ (new)

♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction (fangirlfaction) | 2590 comments Ashleigh wrote: "Vanessa - I'm gonna start A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab today so I can do a BR of the sequels in a few days?"

That would be awesome. Did you want to request a thread? =)

message 46: by ♛Vanessa♛ (new)

♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction (fangirlfaction) | 2590 comments @Nikk - I will be reading A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V.E. Schwab this week and Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2) by Susan Dennard around the 6th if you want to set up buddy reads for those. I can read The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2) by Alison Goodman anytime around the end of the month. =)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 167 comments sounds good to me for the first 2 . can we maybe do The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2) by Alison Goodman sometime after 22nd /23rd as that gives tme to get it for my birthday rather than just from the library :-)

message 48: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 98 comments Vanessa wrote: "Ashleigh wrote: "Vanessa - I'm gonna start A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab today so I can do a BR of the sequels in a few days?"

That would be awesome. Did you want to request a threa..."

I've requested threads for books 2 and 3 starting tomorrow. Is that okay?

message 49: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Hello Tangled team!

We, the mods, realized that the point system was different on the team's SS than it was on our actually sign-up thread. So if possible, please change the page point system (on the first tab of the SS) to the following:

PAGE POINTS:
100 - 149 -> 1 pts
150 - 249 -> 2 pts
250 - 349 -> 3 pts
350 - 449 -> 4 pts
450 - 549 -> 5 pts
550+ -> 6 pts

Please and thank you!

message 50: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 98 comments @Vanessa - here's the link to the series thread for the Shades of Magic books - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.