Start by marking “Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2)” as Want to Read:
Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2)

Windwitch

(The Witchlands #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  16,999 ratings  ·  2,604 reviews
Alternative cover edition of ISBN13: 9780765379306.

Sometimes our enemies are also our only allies…

After an explosion destroys his ship, the world believes Prince Merik, Windwitch, is dead. Scarred yet alive, Merik is determined to prove his sister’s treachery. Upon reaching the royal capital, crowded with refugees, he haunts the streets, fighting for the weak—which leads t
Published January 10th 2017 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Windwitch, please sign up.
Whitney Maybe its because of the style of covers the publishing company is going towards OR it might even be the same cover artist?
Sabrina Windwitch is the sequel of the first book Truthwitch. Is going to be a series of 5/6 books.

·  16,999 ratings  ·  2,604 reviews

Start your review of Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2)
Samantha
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-2017
I loved this addition to the series but it didn't quite match my obsession with Truthwitch. It felt like the forward progression of the story stalled a bit. But with that being said, I can tell a lot of new foundations were laid in this book and I CANNOT WAIT for the next book! Video review to come.

Re-read 3/3/19: I enjoyed this even more on re-read! 4.5 stars this time around!
Lucia
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, fantasy
2.5 STARS

Those of you who follow my reviews regularly know that Truthwitch was one of my favorite reads last year and main protagonists Safiya & Merik even made it to my top favorite ships of 2016. To say that I was super excited to read sequel, would be an understatement. I simply could not wait to get my hands on Windwitch. So imagine my disappointment when it did not meet my expectations...

Almost everything that I loved in the first book (Safi/Iseult interactions, Safi/Merik banters and chemi
Katerina
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-reads
“The holiest always have the farthest to fall.”

Merik Nihar is dead.
Yes, that's right. Admiral Merik Nihar, the Prince of Nubrevna, the Windwitch with the infamous temper, died in a horrible fashion. Except he did not. Forgotten and broken, physically and emotionally, he crosses the filthy streets of Nubrevna, streets filled with the famished and the poor, he seeks revenge against those who wronged him and lets his wrath guide him, only to discover black tendrils and smoke, and a gre
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
3.75⭐️

I’ll say as little as possible because I seem to be a tad bit confused about my feelings.
Here’s the thing, everything happened in here which under normal circumstances, I’d hate. This would be where I’d have smoke coming out of my ears, along with a raging rant review. Strangely enough, I enjoy it all here.

In a nutshell, as far as plot is concerned, nothing happened. Nada.

The world building was no better than the first book, in fact, I’d go as far as to say it was worse.
None of my ques
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok

❝The holiest always have the farthest to fall.❞

Well... that was a disappointment. Truthwitch was one of my favorite books of 2016 and I was already anticipating Windwitch before I even got through the first book. It was one of the first books I read last year and the wait for the second book was unbearable! But sadly, this was not what I was expecting. :( I expected fast-paced, action-filled storylines but instead we got quite the opposite. Everything that I came to love in Truthwitc
Nastassja

Buddy-read with the loveliest Vera

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

“Though we are safe with our friends near, we are safest with our enemies nearer.”

Wow, what an emotional ride this book was! I honestly must admit that mostly all my expectation about this book were based on Aeduan/Iseult relationship. And when I found out they will have shared chapters in this part, my joy was limitless. But, oh boy, this book had a couple more surprises in store for me.

First of all, the world-building became wider, ri

✨ A ✨
I'm so grateful to 2019 for bringing me to this series. Every single one of these characters already mean so much to me. Knowing that this is going to be a five book series has me ecstatic!! I can't wait to dive into Bloodwitch.

Immediately after I finished this book I had the same thought as when I finished Truthwitch: Where the hell has this series been hiding from me?

After the events of Truthwitch our four main characters are separated. Safi is captured by the Marstoki empress. Iseult will sto
Lindsay Cummings
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW. Susan, you have outdone yourself. I loved Truthwitch, but THIS BOOK has far surpassed book one. The characters. The drama. The intense, high stakes mixed in with the mystery and the world-building, and the "my heart hurts from this book" and...good grief. I am so impressed!!

Dying for book 3.

I NEED IT NOW, SOOZ!!! So proud of you!!
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

WINDWITCH picks up pretty closely where TRUTHWITCH left off, which is to say, it hits the ground running. As you should recall, the first book ended rather explosively, so we're dealing with the (almost) immediate aftermath.

Merik, a broken shadow of himself, is newly arrived to Nubrevna (b/c death wish, as far as I can tell), and Safi and Iseult are for all intents and purposes at opposite ends of their world, with only their flashy-when-in-danger stones connecting them.
Elle (ellexamines)
not finishing this book was the only time I've practiced self care all year

→pros←
➽I love Vivia. Vivia is my GIRL, I love her, I am her ride or die fan and I would die for her, she's the morally grey lesbian icon we deserved
➽Iseult is, as promised, my babe, my love, my angel, my daughter, I would go to bat for her
➽Aeduan is okay
➽that didn't sound like a compliment but yeah Aeduan is decent and I don't hate him and that's more than I can say for anything else in this book

→cons←
➽Oh god, I j
Melanie
1.) Truthwitch ★★★★★

One of my goals for 2017 was to DNF books, instead of forcing myself to finish them, but I didn't expect to utilize that goal so soon, especially when I gave Truthwitch five stars.

DNF @ 50%

This is so god-awfully boring, I'm bribing myself with rewards every 5%. Also, I can smell an unnecessary romance/love triangle happening, and I'm not in the mood for a romantic lead to become a villain (I know SJM is this author's best friend, but still).

I thought this series was going t
Em Lost In Books
Feb 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, 2010-19, 1-star
Bland. Absolutely nothing happens in terms of world building, character development, or plot expansion. I am giving up on this series.
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 “There were advantages to being a dead man.” stars

description
“Why do you hold a razor in one hand?
So men remember that I am sharp as any edge.
And why do you hold broken glass in the other?
So men remember that I am always watching.”

The problem I sometimes face with multiple PoV books is that sometimes it feels like nothing is happening. Wait just let me explain. Windwitch starts out with a bunch of dire things happening and for the first few pages it felt intense, like super intense and it was
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
This started off really strong for me, but sadly, fell apart from middle to end.

I feel like we got nowhere in this book. In fact, instead of getting any answers for pretty much anything, I feel like we were left with even more questions. The characters all seemed to be scrambling around in their own individual quests for...something. The purpose is never truly clear.

Overall, I felt like this book lacked cohesiveness and the potential for stellar world-building that was hinted at in book one ne
Cinda
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Treachery, intrigue, and relentless action in this second installment of Susan Dennard's WITCHLANDS series.
Alyssa

Book Two of The Witchlands series
Publisher: Tor Teen
Publication Date: January 10, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Sometimes our enemies are also our only allies…

Simona B
3.5

"The holiest always have the farthest to fall."

Windwitch was, to put it simply, better than Truthwitch in some respects, and worse in others, and many of the things I said about Truthwitch are true for this book as well. I still don't like, for instance, the way Dennard writes her action sequences, which I can't follow to save my life, I find them so confusing and distracting, and sometimes even somewhat too long. I still am waiting for the plot to get serious, because I'd like to see, after
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
HAHHAHAH why did I read Truthwitch right after BEA?!? This doesn't come out until 2017 HAHAHHA KILL ME NOW. But ALSO Truthwitch was amazing!!!! SOOOOO....basically I will be rereading Truthwitch a shit ton of times before this book even comes out!!!!
Scrill
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, xeno
“Why do you hold a razor in one hand?
So men remember that I am sharp as any edge.
And why do you hold broken glass in the other?
So men remember that I am always watching.”

The Story
This book was both beautiful and terrifying as each of our witch’s lives are torn apart and transformed in the sequel to Truthwitch. Dennard expands on the world that she brought us previously and each character’s story unfolds to show more power and depth than we would have expected from an already vibrant story.

Th
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
Originally posted on Super Space Chick:

Personal Thoughts: Truthwitch by Susan Dennard was one of my favorite books of 2015 (I was lucky enough to read it early thanks to sprinting to the Tor booth on the first day of BEA) so obviously, I was feeling super hyped about reading Windwitch which is the second book in the Witchlands series. It was one of my most anticipated releases for 2017 (I feel like I might say this a lot but I swear it’s true! I just get really excited about new books, OKAY) and
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Second Book Syndrome, I spot you.

I feel so conflicted about Windwitch. It was one of my most anticipated sequels but it just didn't live up to my expectations, albeit not being a bad book per se.

The first book had me hooked for several reasons. Those, however, disappeared in the sequel. A fast-paced plot? Negative. Safi and Iseult kicking ass together? Negative. Safi and Merik banter? Negative. Albeit offering an entertaining storyline and some extras like an LGBTQ+ character, Windwitch was clea
Anne
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was intense!
The author really, really pushes her characters & shows them no mercy.

You must read Truthwitch before you will understand what is going on in this book.
Windwitch carries the series forward with 3 different stories:
- Merrik, the Windwitch, as he tries to find proof that his sister tried to have him assassinated.
- Safi, the Truthwitch, who is with the Empress of Marstok when their journey is sabotaged.
- Iseult, the Threadwitch, who is trying to get to Safi, while she is a
Deborah Obida
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
“The holiest always have the farthest to fall.”

Buddy read with Sherry my October tbr twin.

This is way better than book one. If I had known that this was this good I would have read this ages ago. There was almost no time jump in this, this happened just a few days from where book one ended and the time frame was just two weeks, in my opinion the time frame is so short for all the events that happened, also if the author keeps this up the whole 5-6 books in the series will happen in a three m
Danielle
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
January 2018 F.A.B. Bookclub Pick. # I.❤️. F.A.B.

So, I’m convinced that the main reason I couldn’t get into this book was due to listening to it, opposed to reading it. Reading the description and friends reviews it sounds amazing and like I should love it. I just couldn’t get into it. I really only cared about one character and had trouble following (or caring) about any of the others. I had hopes book 2 would interest me more than book 1- but alas only caring about one character didn’t bode we
Suzanne
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5

I really have enjoyed this series so far. The first I loved and this one sets up for the third book really well. Really excited to see where these characters go because there were some pairs to team up that I did not see coming based on book one!
Nadhira Satria
second reread attempt.
DNF
I just can't do it anymore. I'm so bored.
I give up, I can't do it
I don't think I'll continue on with the series even though I don't want to :(
Aly (In Wonderland)
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I need more Aeduen and Iseult.

Pre-review:THIS COVER IS PERFECTION.

MERIKKKKKKKKK.
Drew
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
What a disappointment. I was truly looking forward to this sequel to the YA fantasy, Truthwitch, which I really enjoyed last year.

Despite the first book's many flaws, I was able to overlook the poor plot structure, minimal world building, and characters that made stupid decisions simply because it was entertaining. I don't think people can quite explain why they like those cheesy action movies that have nothing to boast, quality wise - they're just super fun to watch.

That's how I felt about the
Hamad
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF @40%

I tried, I really did but this book is not clicking with me. I was afraid of starting this series because my expectations for the first book were met in this book. Book 1 was a pleasant surprise and I enjoyed it but this was boring and I started checking how many pages are left just so that I can start my next read, a bad sign definitely. (Maybe I was slumping? I tried a different book and I was enjoying it so not a slump) I go to GR and check the reviews and I am startled by the number

• Sorcery of Thorns
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
Susan Dennard has come a long way from small-town Georgia. With a masters degree in marine biology, she got to travel the world—six out of seven continents, to be exact (she’ll get to Asia one of these days!)—before she settled down as a full-time novelist and writing instructor.

She is the author of the New York Times bestselling Witchlands series as well as the Something Strange & Deadly series.

The Witchlands (5 books)
  • Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1)
  • Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)
  • Witchshadow (The Witchlands, #4)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #5)