Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2018 Challenge Archive > September 2018 Buddy Read Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8282 comments Buddy Read Challenge

One of the best things about this group is having other romance readers to chat with about books, since often few (or even none) of our RL friends read the genre...if they read much at all. So, we decided it's time to get some action going in our Buddy Reads folder! The premise is simple...everyone who signs up will be paired with someone with some similar reading preferences. Together you will choose a book that you would like to read and discuss. You will then have a month to read your book and chat about it in a dedicated thread in the Buddy Reads folder. There are no hard rules about how the discussion should progress...you can read at the same pace and discuss as you go or wait until you both finish the book before chatting about it - or some combination of the two.

For those of you who are interested, here are the details:

Sign up in this thread by telling us your first and second favorite romance genres (contemporary/historical/paranormal), and also whether you read exclusively (or almost exclusively) m/m, m/f, or some of both.

Signups close Friday, August 24 at 6 PM EST. Matchups will be posted as soon as possible after signups close - hopefully within an hour or less. If you have not connected with your buddy by August 30, please let me know...either by posting in this thread or by PM. Anyone who hasn't heard from their buddy by then will either be added to one of the other pairs (the more the merrier, right?) or if there are 2 people without buddies who have similar enough interests, they will be paired up.

Plan on reading a Romance novel for this challenge. In order to match people with similar interests, we need to limit this to romance only. The one exception to this is if AFTER you are matched up, you and your partner discover a non-romance title that you both really want to read, that is acceptable. This should be an exception though, rather than a common practice, and you should go into the challenge expecting to read romance.

Connect with your buddy and choose your book. Once the pairings have been posted, find your discussion thread in the Buddy Reads folder. When you have decided on a book, please post your choice here so the name of your thread can be changed to include the title of the book.

You will have the entire month of July to read and discuss your book. When you're all done reading and discussing, please come back here and let us know how it went!

Happy Reading and Chatting!

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8282 comments Tips/FAQ

Since this is a new challenge, there will probably be questions that we haven't thought of. As they come up and are answered, I'll copy them below.

Tips for choosing your book:

♥ Check out your buddy's "short list". If your buddy has a shelf designated for the PIFM or M&G challenges, look there to see if you can find something you're interested in reading. Or, if either of you doesn't already have a short list, create one! Give your buddy a list of 10 or so books that you're hoping to read soon to see if they have are interested in any of them.
♥ Consider trying something new and different. If you can quickly find something that you've both really been looking forward to reading, that's great! But if you can't, think about looking for something you've been hearing some buzz about but haven't gotten around to reading, or an author or sub-genre that your buddy enjoys but you've rarely or never read before.
♥ Check Amazon for freebies If you can't find something that you both already have (or that one or both of you are fine with buying), check Amazon for freebies. They generally have quite a selection, a combination of new/indie authors and frequently you can find the first book in a series by an established author.
♥ Consider book length when making your selection This challenge is only one book, but since so many of our members tend to participate in multiple challenges and read a lot of books in a month, you might want to discuss whether or not you want/need to try to find a shorter book to read.
♥ Above all, BE WILLING TO COMPROMISE! You've given a general idea of what you like to read, but within that there is still a wide range of options, so please be flexible. I wouldn't expect someone to read something that is completely outside their comfort zone (like asking someone who doesn't read m/m to read it for this challenge), but conversely, you must be willing to consider books that may not be right at the top of your short list.

FAQ:

message 4: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8282 comments **

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments In. MM only

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8282 comments Wow Lisa, you're quick! =)

message 7: by Martha (last edited Aug 20, 2018 11:49AM) (new)

Martha | 163 comments I'm in. 1. Paranormal 2. Contemporary. Both m/m and m/f

message 8: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 23559 comments Me! I read both mm and mf, primarily CR with probably PNR after that.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (mckinseya) | 164 comments I'm in! :)
M/F or M/F/M.

message 10: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I'm in! First choice is contemporary. Second choice is paranormal. m/f, m/m, and f/f.

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments I'm in. Either M/F or M/M is fine with me. Paranormal, Contemporary and Fantasy are my favorites.

message 12: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I'm in.
M/F or M/M, contemporary, new adult, pnr

message 13: by Reyne (new)

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments M/F or M/M, new adult, dark/suspense, urban fantasy, pnr... can do sports, mafia, or bikers, as well...

message 14: by cherryjellybeans (new)

cherryjellybeans (cherryandjellybeans) | 181 comments I'm in. Always time to try new challenges.

prefer M/F historical, sweet, suspense

message 15: by Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (last edited Aug 23, 2018 02:37AM) (new)

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1245 comments I'm in. I read M/f and M/M with Contemporary being top then PNR/YA/Fantasy pretty much anything apart from suspense

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimlovestoread74) I am in. Adult/contemporary/suspense. m/f

message 17: by George (new)

George  (georgeml) | 23 comments 1. Adult Contemporary 2. Suspense/mystery M/F. Only started reading romance novels a few months ago, so author base is limited

message 18: by Rainelle (new)

Rainelle (bookreviewsrain) I read mostly erotic romance, BWWM, Fantasy. I’m up for it all. I’m mostly a reader M/F BDSM M/M MFM books.
My email is Sunshinerainy72@gmail.com

message 19: by Momlovestoread1 (new)

Momlovestoread1 | 9 comments Hi! I'm new to the group....adult contemporary M/F or M/F/M

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1143 comments I'm in. I'm good with any genre, m/m or m/f.

message 21: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Aug 24, 2018 03:02PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 8282 comments Welcome to all the newbies!

Signups are now closed, and pairings will be posted hopefully within the next 30 minutes or so.

message 22: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8282 comments Hi everyone! Pairings are posted in msg #3 and your indivdual discussion folders are in the Buddy Reads folder.

Have fun reading and chatting! =)

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 927 comments Martha and I are going to be reading Run to Ground by Katie Ruggle

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1143 comments Hi, Karen.

Camille and I are going to read Station Eleven.

message 25: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Hey Karen,
Reyne and I (Ezi) are going to read The Space in Between
The Space in Between (The Space in Between, #1) by Brittainy C. Cherry

Thanks.