Christian Readers discussion

Scripture Memorization > "Sound Doctrine" Are Not Dirty Words!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1790 comments Mod
It is amazing that so many people hear the word " doctrine " and think it is a " bad " thing. Two Greek words translated as "doctrine" are used 51 times in the New Testament. None of them speak disparagingly of sound doctrine.

When God speaks so positively about sound doctrine, why do some of His people cringe at the thought?

Titus 2:1 - "But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine."

Click below for a YouTube teaching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu52q...

Click below for a brief (one page, double-sided, tri-fold) PDF Bible study:
http://www.christ-like.net/sitebuilde...

Visit our ministry web site for many FREE resources:
www.christ-like.net

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Because wolves have twisted the meaning to ”big stick to whack sheep with.”

message 3: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "Because wolves have twisted the meaning to ”big stick to whack sheep with.”"

My response: Is that how you define quoting and believing the Bible ?

Is the wolf the one trusting the Word of God or the one offering only their opinions?

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments No. But experience and pain change the way words are perceived. I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's reality.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "No. But experience and pain change the way words are perceived. I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's reality."

My response: It is not reality with sound doctrine . I may be reality with false doctrine .

That is why one must trust what the Bible does say … not what they want it to say.

Thus the importance of quoting and believing the Word of God.

message 6: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments So. You are in favor of beating already beaten sheep. Good to know. Doesn't sound like a gospel of mercy and righteousness to me...

message 7: by Robert (last edited Aug 20, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

Steve wrote: "So. You are in favor of beating already beaten sheep. Good to know. Doesn't sound like a gospel of mercy and righteousness to me..."

My response: this is a LIE ! Quote me ever saying any such thing.

Here is what I DID SAY

That is why one must trust what the Bible does say … not what they want it to say.

Thus the importance of quoting and believing the Word of God.

(Note: Isn't it odd that stating one must trust the Bible... gets changed into "beating sheep"?)

message 8: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Now if only we could agree on how sound doctrine is established and interpreted.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Rod wrote: "Now if only we could agree on how sound doctrine is established and interpreted."

I agree with this...

2 Timothy 3:16-17

16   All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine , for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17  That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

How do you establish doctrine? The Bible plus something?

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Well, obviously Robert is the authority on that... Kind of like a post Catholic pope...

message 11: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "Well, obviously Robert is the authority on that... Kind of like a post Catholic pope..."

My response: Thanks for you OPINION . Is this the same way you establish doctrine... without Scripture ?

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Nope. Scripture tradition reason and experience.

message 13: by Robert (new)

LOL... you never quote the Bible

message 14: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments You quote more than enough for the both of us lol

message 15: by Robert (new)

I quote it and you take issue with it

message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Oh boo. The big bully Woberts fewwings are hurt.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "Oh boo. The big bully Woberts fewwings are hurt."

NOPE! Just stating facts... you NEVER quote Scripture... and you REJECT it when it is quoted...

message 18: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Yea there's this thing called context. You never account for it... Almost always you quote out of context. Your beliefs are stitched together from random versus. You've got no roots in the faith delivered...

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments There's no point in throwing pearls to swine such as yourself. I won't sully the word of God on a pharisee like you...

message 20: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Seriously Robert, so far none of us reject scripture: just your interpretation of it.
You need to stop saying that.

message 21: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "Yea there's this thing called context. You never account for it... Almost always you quote out of context. Your beliefs are stitched together from random versus. You've got no roots in the faith de..."

There is NO context when you NEVER quote the Bible... just your pretext

message 22: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "There's no point in throwing pearls to swine such as yourself. I won't sully the word of God on a pharisee like you..."

LOL!!!!! ROFL!!!!! That is because you don't value the Word of God...

So you throw your opinions instead.

message 23: by Robert (new)

Rod wrote: "Seriously Robert, so far none of us reject scripture: just your interpretation of it.
You need to stop saying that."

My response: YOU REJECT the Bible. I quote it with NO INTERPRETATION... and you REJECT the direct quote.

message 24: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Nope. You do not excuse the right use of the Word of God. I won't engage you because it's useless. You must repent from your hardheartedness and stubbornness. I plead with you, resist not the Spirit of God.

message 25: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "Nope. You do not excuse the right use of the Word of God. I won't engage you because it's useless. You must repent from your hardheartedness and stubbornness. I plead with you, resist not the Spiri..."

My response: The "uselessness" of interacting with you is that you rely on you opinions and think they are the Word of God.

I don't resist the Spirit... the Holy Spirit wrote...

Acts 17:11 - "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily , whether those things were so."

message 26: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments I read and study the scriptures daily my friend. Your presumption is that if it's not quoted its not formative. That's a classic mistake a mistake made by blunt biblicists. The most despicable form of Bible scholarship.

message 27: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 20, 2018 05:26PM) (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Robert wrote: "YOU REJECT the Bible. I quote it with NO INTERPRETATION... and you REJECT the direct quote. "

No, Robert, that is simply your unsubstantiated claim and you bearing false witness.

Rod does not reject scripture, nor do I. No one has rejected "the direct quote", which is why you can't demonstrate anyone actually has, including Rod who you have accused of doing so.

message 28: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 20, 2018 05:33PM) (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Steve wrote: "Yea there's this thing called context. You never account for it... Almost always you quote out of context. Your beliefs are stitched together from random versus. "

That is so true. Robert loves to rip verses and passages out of context.

Let's add some context:

"Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness— 2 in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, 3 and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,

4 To Titus, my true son in our common faith:

Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
Appointing Elders Who Love What Is Good

5 The reason I left you in Crete was that you might put in order what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you. 6 An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7 Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

10 For there are many rebellious people, full of meaningless talk and deception, especially those of the circumcision group. 11 They must be silenced, because they are disrupting whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach—and that for the sake of dishonest gain. 12 One of Crete’s own prophets has said it: “Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons.” 13 This saying is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith 14 and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the merely human commands of those who reject the truth. 15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. 16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.

You, however, must teach what is appropriate to sound doctrine. 2 Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.

3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

6 Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. 7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness 8 and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.

9 Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, 10 and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.

11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

15 These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you."

Titus 1-2

message 29: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Again. I do not reject scripture. I reject the improper use and application of it....

message 30: by Robert (new)

Alexandra wrote: "That is so true. Robert loves to rip verses and passages out of context...."

My response: This coming from someone who compares those who disagree with her to Hitler ! Did you ever apologize to Joel for comparing him to Hitler?

message 31: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Ah there's that old chestnut. I guess Robert needed to drag that horse carcass into this thread too... Sigh

message 32: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "Again. I do not reject scripture. I reject the improper use and application of it...."

My response: You NEVER quote the Bible and when direct quotes with NO commentary are made... you MOCK the direct quotes...

You do REJECT the Word of God.

message 33: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Prove it.

message 34: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments You can’t.

message 35: by Robert (last edited Aug 20, 2018 05:30PM) (new)

Alexandra wrote: "Let's add some context:..."

My response: Yes, lets add some context to how you operate...

For those unfamiliar... Alexandra's methods... as soon as someone disagrees with and stands up to her, she...

* Compare people to Hitler (2nd paragraph)
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

* Apologize for derailing a thread (Message # 179 and she continues at least until Message # 322 )

* Continue to keep the thread off track
* Lie about people
* Keep lying
* Get caught and exposed lying

* Justify her lies (2nd to last paragraph)

* Keep lying some more

* Use vulgarities in her posts (last paragraph)

All of these are true and can be readily seen in this thread. (For the Hitler comment, check out message #11 at the beginning of this thread. It did not take long for her to go on the attack.)

message 36: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Yup. Horse brains and blood everywhere already. Did not take long... Robert is nothing if not predictable.

message 37: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Robert is an aggrieved senior whose mental faculties and social graces are swiftly vacating the premises...

message 38: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "Prove it."

You have posted 15 times in a thread about sound doctrine

ZERO have quoted or referenced the Bible.
ZERO have even been about the topic.
ZERO have offered any spiritual insights.

PROVEN!

message 39: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Steve wrote: "Robert is an aggrieved senior whose mental faculties and social graces are swiftly vacating the premises..."

I don't think they ever made an appearance ;)

message 40: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Yea I won't waste scripture on a corrupt wolf...

message 41: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "Robert is an aggrieved senior whose mental faculties and social graces are swiftly vacating the premises..."

Thanks for your ungodly and judgmental OPINION again... completely lacking Biblical support.

But not surprising.

message 42: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "Yup. Horse brains and blood everywhere already. Did not take long... Robert is nothing if not predictable."

FACTS are FACTS. She hides behind her arrogant self-righteousness... casting judgments and using vulgarities...

...and then I am blasted for quoting the Bible!

message 43: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Robert wrote: "Thanks for your ungodly and judgmental OPINION again... "

The irony there, which I'm sure is quite lost on you, is that that statement is merely your opinion ;)

message 44: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Scripture is so precious I reserve that for the community practice my faith in. The community that knows me more than Robert ever will... The truth is, one can make the scriptures say whatever one wishes to believe.... Only the Spirit of God can guide us to truth...

message 45: by Robert (last edited Aug 20, 2018 05:39PM) (new)

Steve wrote: "Yea I won't waste scripture on a corrupt wolf..."

My response: Wow! Jesus QUOTED the Bible in self-defense to satan… and you think it is a waste!!!!!

Matthew 4:4 - "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

message 46: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments For the others in the thread, I think jeaus spoke directly to Robert with these words

You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me John 5:39

message 47: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 20, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Steve wrote: "The truth is, one can make the scriptures say whatever one wishes to believe.... "

It's a quite common tactic among cult members, and others who believe false things, to rip verses and passages out of context to give the appearance Scripture says something it does not, or to try to claim a verse or passage is applicable where it is not. And yes, to the unwary and uninformed it can be made to seem the Bible is saying pretty much anything, when people are willing to misuse it in such a way.

If Robert were truly the Biblical literate Christ follower he claims to be, he'd refrain from such shenanigans.

message 48: by Robert (new)

Steve wrote: "For the others in the thread, I think jeaus spoke directly to Robert with these words

You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very S..."

My response: LOL!!!! Context!!!!

You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me John 5:39

Jesus was NOT bad-mouthing the STUDY of the Scriptures... He condemned the FACT that they missed the Messiah that those passages pointed to!

He condemned their re-writing and re-defining what the Bible actually said.

message 49: by Robert (new)

Alexandra wrote: "It's a quite common tactic among cult members, and others who believe false things, to rip verses and passages out of context to give the appearance Scripture says something it ..."

My response: LOL! Coming from someone with such DISDAIN for the Bible that you almost NEVER quote it.

You prefer to rail against those who disagree with you and stand up to you with comparisons to Hitler and repeated LIES (even after getting caught lying)

message 50: by Robert (new)

Alexandra wrote: "If Robert were truly the Biblical literate Christ follower he claims to be, he'd refrain from such shenanigans. ..."

My response: Oh, you mean I would not compare people with Hitler (like you do)… I would not lie about people (like you do)… I would not use vulgarities (like you do).

I am glad I am not like you.

« previous 1