Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

And Then There Were None
This topic is about And Then There Were None
Archive - Group Reads > And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - 08/19 thru 09/01

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1250 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about And Then There Were None and your hostess is Gem.

Please note that our discussion can be about any and all aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contain spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None (Ten Little Indians) by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie Ten Little Indians by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

First, there were ten—a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal—and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. And only the dead are above suspicion.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Count me in for this discussion! I'm about 80% through the audio, brilliantly narrated by Dan Stevens (Matthew from Downton Abbey). I couldn't get a hard copy so had to create a character list :).

Looking forward to hearing others' thoughts.

Susan | 30 comments I also listened to the Dan Stevens audio and was very impressed- I liked this much better than I did Murder on the Orient Express. With that one I was not much impressed with the ending, and was wondering if this would go a similar direction, but once I got there, I thought it was really fascinating. (view spoiler)

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 44 comments Very good book. The classic movie based on it was good too. Are they doing an updated movie? They've revisited other Christie stories recently.

message 5: by Veda (last edited Aug 19, 2018 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veda  (moonchild63) | 101 comments I have a [spoiler] code - so I will comment & "Focus on Author" & the rich 'history' (gleaned over the yrs.) being a fan of Christie, Hercule, Ms. Marple etc & 'And then there....'

First - the 'original' British title was 'Ten Little (N-word)' & thus when it was published in America became 'Ten Little Indians' (though equally as 'offensive,' yet different time & unfortunately there were no 'PC' Police) a film adaptation was released in (I think) '45 with Fitzgerald 💗 that funny looking old coot, Huston (Angelica Huston's famous grandfather Walter) & Hayward (not Rita) & subsequently MANY more film adaptations have followed & it was also a Very 'successful' play!

Second - Agatha Christie had quite the love hate relationship with characters, the press & success - she famously disappeared, became 'reclusive' at times, divorced (for that time in England & elsewhere (esp for the woman) it was 'scandalous' & 'shame' inducing) & had a great 💓 of Egypt!

So, I "Focus on the Author" Agatha Christie & hope (w/o [spoilers]) you 'Enjoy' the read of this undeniable 'Classic' work by one 'Classy' Dame, author, mother, wife & beloved human being!

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I just finished this and loved it! I think I've seen the 1945 movie years ago, but remembered none of it except brief visual sketches, so I was pretty much taken by surprise at the ending. Did anyone else see the future Stephen King in this book? The march of dread, the inevitably of one's demise, but drawn out into a slow terror all are also hallmark's of King's horror works.

I liked that this took a departure from Christie's usual detective/amateur sleuth approach. But it did have her hallmark recap of the murder(s) in "the manuscript", telling us in detail what happened.

Recently there was a BBC 3-part mini-series of this. I started to watch but did not go very far. It's on Acorn here in the States if anyone subscribes and also available on DVD. I know my library has it. It has a great cast! https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06v...

I also enjoyed this article on why this book is a masterpiece, written at the time of the broadcast of the new mini-series. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I agree about keeping track of the characters. I made a list of the "indictments" charged via the recording and then ticked them off as they died or I wouldn't have been able to track, especially since I listened vs reading in print.

The racism and antisemitism did bother me, although I passed that over because of the times in which she wrote, where she wrote and the class she belonged to in British society. Not making it right, just an explanation. Remembering that Britain originally sided with Hitler helps explain a little about the culture of that time. I think the bias against "others" was a lasting remnant of the Colonial era, unfortunately.

message 8: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Suzy wrote: "I agree about keeping track of the characters. I made a list of the "indictments" charged via the recording and then ticked them off as they died or I wouldn't have been able to track, especially s..."

I'm reading the book White Trash by Nancy Isenberg ... and it has an interesting idea of how the British felt of native peoples.

As to Britain "siding" with Hitler.. not really. It depends which British you are talking about. Churchill knew who Hitler was from the beginning. But no one wanted to go to war again.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Kirsten wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I agree about keeping track of the characters. I made a list of the "indictments" charged via the recording and then ticked them off as they died or I wouldn't have been able to track,..."

I'll have to check out that book, Kirsten. You're right that "Britain" didn't side with Hitler, but in the years building up to WWII, many in high society were enamored with Hitler.

Sorta off topic as to the book, but for me it does explain the references in Christie's books. I read the first Lord Peter Whimsey by Dorothy Sayers a few years ago and was appalled at how antisemitism was a theme (not just a passing reference) in that book and decided not to read others!

message 10: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Suzy wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I agree about keeping track of the characters. I made a list of the "indictments" charged via the recording and then ticked them off as they died or I wouldn't have bee..."

You're depriving yoursef, then!!! They're the best. I look past a lot of it. The times were different. Many of the golden age sci-fi books are horribly misogynist and I still like them.

PattyMacDotComma | 167 comments I did enjoy this one and had NO idea how it had been done. But it was true - there were NONE! It was weird and scary and fiendishly clever. reviewed it here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 12: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Townsend | -14 comments I read it years ago when a paperback copy was enclosed with the namesake CD ROM computer game, but unfortunately remember little about it.

message 13: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I did enjoy this one and had NO idea how it had been done. But it was true - there were NONE! It was weird and scary and fiendishly clever. reviewed it here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

I'm so glad! This is one of my favorite books.

message 14: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1250 comments Mod
I hope everyone is enjoying this book and thank you to everyone participating in the discussion. I'm about halfway through. I hope to finish this weekend and then I'll return to give my thoughts.

message 15: by Britney (new) - added it

Britney (tarheels) | 108 comments I will hopefully finish it this weekend.

Bicky | 35 comments Fiendishly clever. It is not that there is an absence of unlikely plot developments but the skill with which the reader is left clueless has to be admired. I hope that since one is allowed to use spoilers, nobody will mind if I reveal the murderer. But I wonder how many were able to guess who the murderer was. I was not able to do so. This time I read the book while knowing who the murderer was and how the reader had been fooled and wanted to know what crumbs Agatha Christie left around to give us even a chance.
For safety’s sake here is the spoiler alert.
(view spoiler)

Bicky | 35 comments Suzy wrote: "I just finished this and loved it! I think I've seen the 1945 movie years ago, but remembered none of it except brief visual sketches, so I was pretty much taken by surprise at the ending. Did anyo..."
Thank you for the link to the Telegraph article. I do not agree with many of her critics. If she was such a bad writer, then why are we still reading her 80 years later?

message 18: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1250 comments Mod
I'm done! I thought this was absolutely brilliant. The more I read Agatha Christie the more I remember why I loved reading her when I was younger.

I initially guess the killer was one of the guests, but I kept guessing wrong. By the end, I had absolutely no idea who was responsible for the murders.

message 19: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I'm done! I thought this was absolutely brilliant. The more I read Agatha Christie the more I remember why I loved reading her when I was younger.

I initially guess the killer was one of the gues..."

Sorta like the guests . . . guessing who the killer is and being wrong, but with much more dire consequences. :)

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments I got behind but totally enjoyed this book! My mom found a postcard from NYC showing the play “10 Little Indians” the original title so I used it as my bookmark and it gave the “10” deaths so helped me follow.