Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > Want to see more character rep/new plot lines in books? Let the authors know here!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 120 comments Hey guys!

So, I'm always noticing so many great ideas from GR users who want to see these ideas incorporated in more books they read and I also see authors/writers trying to figure out what else they can make a story out of.

This can be a thread where readers and writers unite! Write down your ideas here and maybe authors/writers will find their next story :)

For example, I'm an author myself. I'm currently writing my Gold Shadow series that includes diversity, platonic friendships, and interesting characters. But there are soo many ideas I haven't tried yet!

After the Gold Shadow series, I'm going to be starting a fantasy series with one of the main characters being asexual. Do you have any ideas I can add to this? Please let me know!

GR readers, if you want to see someone writing your ideal book, this may be the place for you to find them :D

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Well rep I want and my ideal book is not exatcly the same but..
My ideal book: time travelling organised(guardians of time by marianne curley style)
A prophecy
Magical abilities
The library of alexandria as a setting
Veronica Mars references. Ditto cap jack harkness. Coupling. The road to el dorado.
The chapters starting with quotes.
Magical places aka el dorado. Waterfalls with secret doors.
Retelling of king midas.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Road trip books
A protagonist that DOES NOT WANT TO BE POPULAR AND DOES NOT TRY TO BE ALSO SAID CHARACTER LOVES BOARDGAMES AND DISLIKES DRINKING. Soo tired of "all" protagonist wanting to be cool and going party ing.
Also a person getting D in school and is happy with that. NOT EVERYONE GETS A'S.

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) 1. Bookworms, why are Hermione Granger and Celaena Sardothien some of the only fictional characters I can think of who love reading, I don't even like Celaena!
2. Less romance more platonic relationships, actually in most if my of my ideas the main characters are in platonic relationships and when they are in a romantic one it's usually toxic (which brings me to my next point)
3. Toxic relationships, come on, not every relationship lasts forever and a lot of YA relationships are already toxic without the authors knowing
4. More protagonists in fantasy who are peasents, I love royals and their drama but it's getting overdone
5. Stop it with the 'girl is actually a magical princess twist' it's getting overplayed
6. People of different religions getting along

So here you have a fantasy about a bookworm peasant who's in a platonic relationship with someone of a different religion and they're fighting a toxic person in their life and they have no magical powers to help them.

Also if your novel Isn't multiple POVs then why not make the protagonist themself asexual?

message 5: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 120 comments Oda Renate wrote: "Road trip books
A protagonist that DOES NOT WANT TO BE POPULAR AND DOES NOT TRY TO BE ALSO SAID CHARACTER LOVES BOARDGAMES AND DISLIKES DRINKING. Soo tired of "all" protagonist wanting to be cool a..."

So true. It does seem like there's a good amount of that, especially in contemporary.

message 6: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 120 comments Frank wrote: "1. Bookworms, why are Hermione Granger and Celaena Sardothien some of the only fictional characters I can think of who love reading, I don't even like Celaena!
2. Less romance more platonic relatio..."

YES to many of those points!
And what I have planned does use multiple POVs but one of the two main protagonists will be asexual :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Frank wrote: "1. Bookworms, why are Hermione Granger and Celaena Sardothien some of the only fictional characters I can think of who love reading, I don't even like Celaena!
2. Less romance more platonic relatio..."

Well bookworms in books is actually not that rare. Fangirl has one, Geek Girl (Geek Girl, #1) by Holly Smale , Being Jamie Baker (Jamie Baker, #1) by Kelly Oram , Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare , Contingency (Sage Hannigan Time Warper, #1) by P.S. Martinez , From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess (From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess, #1) by Meg Cabot , Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) by Kristin Cashore , The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2) by Sue Townsend , Invisibility by Andrea Cremer , Murder Most Unladylike (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1) by Robin Stevens , My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1) by Cynthia Hand , They arent that hard to find.